Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bortles throws 5 Picks in 1st Major Practice....

NewColtsFan

Five interceptions for Blake Bortles in the Jags first practice in Pads.      Ouch!!

That's a very, VERY talented roster they've put together,  but if -- and that's a BIG if -- BB can't operate the offense,  then the Jags hopes of making the playoffs are in jeopardy.

Here's the write-up.     Note the strong comments from new HC Doug Marrone.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20196037/blake-bortles-jacksonville-jaguars-throws-five-interceptions-practice

Don't get me wrong, I have no ill will towards Blake Bortles, but as a Colts fan, I seriously hope the dude never figures it out.

As you said, that's a real talented roster. Plus it's young. If they solve their QB issues, they'll be very hard to beat year in year out. 

Talk about a bad day at the office. Usually, Bortles is good in garbage time after the game has already been decided in a loss for the Jags. 

Tell him that there's only 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter down by 3 touchdowns & see if his accuracy & completion percentage goes up. I'll bet ya it will. 

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Talk about a bad day at the office. Usually, Bortles is good in garbage time after the game has already been decided in a loss for the Jags. 

Tell him that there's only 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter down by 3 touchdowns & see if his accuracy & completion percentage goes up. I'll bet ya it will. 

lol he's a good fantasy QB.. you hate going up against him because you'll look and see he has like 10 points in the 3rd.. the 4th qt comes and he picks up 18 points.. its such crap lol

10 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Don't get me wrong, I have no ill will towards Blake Bortles, but as a Colts fan, I seriously hope the dude never figures it out.

As you said, that's a real talented roster. Plus it's young. If they solve their QB issues, they'll be very hard to beat year in year out. 

What's really weird is that it looked like he did have it figured out, or at least he was starting to.  In 2015, he threw for 4400+ yards and 35 TDs.  His rating and accuracy weren't that stellar, but it looked like the Jags had something they could work with.

And he dropped 50 on the Colts :grumpy2::grumpy2::grumpy2:

Gus Bradley was a dunce. I think the Jags will be pretty good, and I don't predict that every year. I still say the only thing that happened to them was that Gus didn't get them back up after the failed 4th and 1 against GB. Had they made that it could have been alot different.

13 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

And he dropped 50 on the Colts :grumpy2::grumpy2::grumpy2:

Gus Bradley was a dunce. I think the Jags will be pretty good, and I don't predict that every year. I still say the only thing that happened to them was that Gus didn't get them back up after the failed 4th and 1 against GB. Had they made that it could have been alot different.

Amen, tell them. The Jags for once actually do have some promise in their organization. 

Coughlin can turn things around and Doug Maroone, contrary to popular belief was not a horrible coach in Buffalo. His Bills teams ranked in the top 5 on defense when he quit. He wasn't fired, he really just quit...That same Bills team was taken over by Rex Ryan and their defense dramatically fell afterwards. It really says a lot about Rex Ryan that he couldn't take advantage of a team with a defense that good. 

On 7/30/2017 at 8:03 PM, Synthetic said:

Practice is practice. 

Last year, Brees had 4 interceptions and 5 interceptions in two separate practice games...and then went into the regular season and had a streak of not throwing an interception until week 4. 

I see the comparison, but it's also a comparison of Drew Brees, and Blake Bortles. Brees is leagues better than Bortles will ever hope to be

On 7/30/2017 at 9:03 PM, Synthetic said:

Practice is practice. 

Last year, Brees had 4 interceptions and 5 interceptions in two separate practice games...and then went into the regular season and had a streak of not throwing an interception until week 4. 

Though Bortles isn't nearly as good as Brees I would agree it's probably not wise to read too much into this.

There is a good likelyhood that Bortles was trying out something new that he's never done before.  Make the mistakes in practice and figure it out.  We'll see how many Int's he throws in the games.  

Yes, he had a bad day at the office on Saturday.  However:

Blake Bortles on day 4 and day 5-

22 out of 23 throws  (Monday)

17 out of 23 throws (Tuesday)

39 out of 46, and no interceptions thrown on either day. He does have the most turnovers and interceptions over the last 3 years, I believe.  Doug Marrone will toss out stuff in the Playbook Bortles can't run properly.

but wait arent the Jags suppose to win the division this year? wait wasnt that the last 3 years according to all the "experts". lol, teh Jags will be on the bottom again this year guaranteed, offseason champs is the best they will be.

On 7/30/2017 at 9:05 PM, Synthetic said:

Amen, tell them. The Jags for once actually do have some promise in their organization. 

Coughlin can turn things around and Doug Maroone, contrary to popular belief was not a horrible coach in Buffalo. His Bills teams ranked in the top 5 on defense when he quit. He wasn't fired, he really just quit...That same Bills team was taken over by Rex Ryan and their defense dramatically fell afterwards. It really says a lot about Rex Ryan that he couldn't take advantage of a team with a defense that good. 

Jim Schwartz was the reason that defense was good he knows how to create great pressure