Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 10 Colts of all time

CR91

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Didn't he replace Unitas lmao Most people probably don't know that name. That is funny.

He replaced Unitas, same time Doug Decinces replaced Brooks Robinson. Bad times in Baltimore.

Marty was a kid from Ivy League Columbia U.  Wasnt all that horrible, but stuck in the middle between Unitas and Bert Jones.  Caused coaches to be fired when Irsay wanted Jones, and coaches said Jones wasn't ready yet, let Domres play...

3 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, You're very close but I'd put Mathis in there too. I know everybody has their favorite, especially the older guys. But if we want to look at this intelligently you're just about right.  Peyton Manning is by far the best player in Colts history he was a coach on the field he revolutionized the position. I just hope Luck can even come close to Peyton greatness. I thought the video was very close to. 

I'd have no argument with Mathis being in there.  Like I've said before it just comes down to preference after you get past the top three IMO because you can make strong cases for 15 to 20 guys after that.  

We can only hope Andrew works his way on to this list someday.  If nothing else he should serve a reminder of just how good Manning and Johnny U were and just how much talent they have around them and how hard that is to get both.  

4 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I only wish Bert could have stayed healthy as he had the most physical talent of the trio,

Bert had it all!  He had movie star looks, a rocket arm that I believe he could hunt birds with if he wanted.  He was aw-shucks before Peyton was born, and had Johnny U's grit and leadership.  His undoing was what he shares with Andrew Luck. They both refuse to give up on a play, and if it takes sacrificing their body to make the yards- they do it.  Shoulders and knees can only take so much.

Bert went on, like Archie Manning- to make millions in business.  He made his money selling trees to Weyerhauser, I believe...  I liked him best, but it just wasn't in the cards.

47 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Bert had it all!  He had movie star looks, a rocket arm that I believe he could hunt birds with if he wanted.  He was aw-shucks before Peyton was born, and had Johnny U's grit and leadership.  His undoing was what he shares with Andrew Luck. They both refuse to give up on a play, and if it takes sacrificing their body to make the yards- they do it.  Shoulders and knees can only take so much.

Bert went on, like Archie Manning- to make millions in business.  He made his money selling trees to Weyerhauser, I believe...  I liked him best, but it just wasn't in the cards.

When the Colts drafted Bert was when and exactly why I became a Colts fan.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here's a question for all of you guys would Andrew Luck make the Top 20? He has had 3 Very Good seasons, 1 Great one in 2014, went to a Championship Game, has the rookie record for most Passing Yards and has had a season where he threw for 40 TD's. He also has 3 Playoff wins already.

Not yet.  Not close.

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here's a question for all of you guys would Andrew Luck make the Top 20? He has had 3 Very Good seasons, 1 Great one in 2014, went to a Championship Game, has the rookie record for most Passing Yards and has had a season where he threw for 40 TD's. He also has 3 Playoff wins already.

Not even close.  

Top ten Colts:

1. Peyton Manning (The Sheriff)

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Tarik Glenn

6. Dwight Freeney

7. Raymond Berry

8. Edgerrin James 

9. Robert Mathis

10. Andrew Luck

Bottom ten Colts:

1. Gilbert Gardner

2. Trent Richardson

3. Curtis Painter

4. Roy Hall

5. Hank Baskett

6. Samson Satele

7. Cassius Vaughn

8. Josh McNary

9. Bjoern Werner

10. Dante Hughes

2 hours ago, Mike Tahoe said:

Top ten Colts:

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Tarik Glenn

6. Dwight Freeney

7. Raymond Berry

8. Edgerrin James 

9. Robert Mathis

10. Andrew Luck

Bottom ten Colts:

1. Gilbert Gardner

2. Trent Richardson

3. Curtis Painter

4. Roy Hall

5. Hank Baskett

6. Samson Satele

7. Cassius Vaughn

8. Josh McNary

9. Bjoern Werner

10. Dante Hughes

Luck at #10?    You must be young.  

Just watching the video gave me goosebumps.  I thought of guys like Mike Curtis, Bubba Smith, Lenny Moore, Ted Hendricks, Jim Parker and Jeff Saturday.  It's so hard to compare players from a 50+ year time span, though.  James?  Top twenty IMO.

Feel fortunate to have been a fan of both teams...

5 hours ago, Mike Tahoe said:

Top ten Colts:

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Tarik Glenn

6. Dwight Freeney

7. Raymond Berry

8. Edgerrin James 

9. Robert Mathis

10. Andrew Luck

Bottom ten Colts:

1. Gilbert Gardner

2. Trent Richardson

3. Curtis Painter

4. Roy Hall

5. Hank Baskett

6. Samson Satele

7. Cassius Vaughn

8. Josh McNary

9. Bjoern Werner

10. Dante Hughes

I like your 10 worse Colts lmao. Painter would be #1 for me. Trent was pretty bad though. Funny you gave Gardner #1. Andrew Luck IMO still has to put up 3 or 4 more really Good to Great years and get us back in the Playoffs before he is Top 10 material IMO. I could make a case for him being Top 20 already though, if not it's close.

On 7/28/2017 at 6:31 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will just two Top 5's:

5 Best Baltimore/Indy Colts

1. Peyton Manning

2. Johnny Unitas

3. Marvin Harrison

4. Gino Marchetti

5. John Mackey

5 worse

1. Curtis Painter

2. Hank Baskett

3. Trent Richardson

4. Bjoern Werner

5. Gilbert Gardner

I see lots of support for Painter as a worst Colt.   I would disagree with him being high on the list because he was a late round pick (6th I think).   I'm sure the Colts have had lots of 6th round picks that didn't even make the team.  Now Rchardson cost us a 1st round pick.

I looked up some of the Colts best clipboard holders.

Jim Sorgi- rated an 89 qb rating backing up Peyton and then Eli. 6 TDs 1 interception.

Gary Cuozo- rated 62 qb rating backing Unitas. Famous for broken nose so HB Tom Matte had to qb the 65 championship game with plays taped to his wrist.   Refs blew the fieldgoal call, leading to higher goalposts, and a Packer win. Later Cuozo was traded for the draft pick thst became Bubba Smith.

Marty Domres. Backed up and replaced Unitas, backed up Bert Jones. 53 qb rating.

Curtis Painter- we all know. 57 rating. Also backed Eli and Flacco.

Announcers: Baltimore's Chuck Thompson did Colts and Orioles with class. Lamey lasted longer, and is crazier.  "He dropped the frickin foitball!"

On July 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Numero Uno es Johnny U!  PM es numero dos. Just my opinion, doesn't make it correct...

It doesn't? Hades, in my mind, everything you say is accurate & right on the money RR7. 

Okay, you are only human right? Therefore, your correction percentage goes from 100% to say 97% 

All joking aside, Johnny U at #1 is a compelling argument. I didn't grow up with Johnny but his contributions cannot be overlooked. You can't go wrong with either Unitas or Manning at the top slots. 

Nice find on You Tube there CR91. I really like the "Numb" Jay-z & Linkin Park soundtrack song used there too. I always think of Micheal Mann's 2006 film "Miami Vice" whenever I hear that tune & speed boats zooming across the water after midnight. Sweet! 

Reggie should have been much higher as CBE & others have stated. 

On 2017-07-28 at 5:15 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it's close for Top 20, Top 10 no way though. I could make a great case for Luck being the 3rd best QB the Colts have ever had. He has already accomplished more than Bert Jones for example and he is better than Harbaugh.

Bert Jones won league MVP,  Luck has not.  First team All-Pro, luck has not.  Second team All-Pro, Luck has not.  Three Division titles, Luck has not.  

I like Luck and still foresee great things from him, but to say he's already accomplished more than Bert Jones, well, imho, to say so is entirely off base.

From Wikipedia ...

"The 1976 regular season was Bert Jones's finest as a professional; he threw for 3,104 yards and a career-high 24 touchdowns, compiling a passer rating of 102.5. He was one of only three quarterbacks to achieve a 100+ passer rating during the entire decade of the 1970s, joining Dallas' Roger Staubach (1971) and Oakland's Ken Stabler (1976). Jones was honored by the Associated Press as 1976's NFL Most Valuable Player[7] and NFL Offensive Player of the Year,[8] selected first-team All-Pro,[9] and named to the Pro Bowl team. He was also selected second-team All-Pro following the 1977 season."

In fact, Bill Belichick had this to say about Jones:

"As a pure passer I don't think I could put anybody ahead of Bert Jones. I know he had a short career and the shoulder injury, but when I was there and he was just starting his career, the success that he had and his ability to throw the ball as a pure passer and as an athlete, it would be hard to put anybody ahead of Bert Jones at that point in time."

22 hours ago, Coltsfan50 said:

top 10, well I have 6 players that are no question.

J. Unitas, P. Manning, R. Berry, J.Mackie, M. Faulk, M, Harrison.

Faulk is borderline for me.   He was great for the Colts, but I still think of him as a Ram.  

That year as a Ram when he had:  1359 rushing yards and 18 TD's with 81 receptions and another 8 TD's.  And zero fumbles.   Amazing season.  

I think I put Edge, Mitchell and Moore ahead of him as all time Colts RB's.  Dickerson would be close. 

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Bert Jones won league MVP,  Luck has not.  First team All-Pro, luck has not.  Second team All-Pro, Luck has not.  Three Division titles, Luck has not.  

I like Luck and still foresee great things from him, but to say he's already accomplished more than Bert Jones, well, imho, to say so is entirely off base.

From Wikipedia ...

"The 1976 regular season was Bert Jones's finest as a professional; he threw for 3,104 yards and a career-high 24 touchdowns, compiling a passer rating of 102.5. He was one of only three quarterbacks to achieve a 100+ passer rating during the entire decade of the 1970s, joining Dallas' Roger Staubach (1971) and Oakland's Ken Stabler (1976). Jones was honored by the Associated Press as 1976's NFL Most Valuable Player[7] and NFL Offensive Player of the Year,[8] selected first-team All-Pro,[9] and named to the Pro Bowl team. He was also selected second-team All-Pro following the 1977 season."

In fact, Bill Belichick had this to say about Jones:

"As a pure passer I don't think I could put anybody ahead of Bert Jones. I know he had a short career and the shoulder injury, but when I was there and he was just starting his career, the success that he had and his ability to throw the ball as a pure passer and as an athlete, it would be hard to put anybody ahead of Bert Jones at that point in time."

I have to say great points my friend. Jones was a beast. My thinking was more towards Luck setting the rookie record for most Yards and his 40 TD Season and making an AFC Championship but Jones winning MVP, you got me there and I guess I didn't even think of that when I was thinking accomplishments. I was looking at Stats more than anything.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Faulk is borderline for me.   He was great for the Colts, but I still think of him as a Ram.  

That year as a Ram when he had:  1359 rushing yards and 18 TD's with 81 receptions and another 8 TD's.  And zero fumbles.   Amazing season.  

I think I put Edge, Mitchell and Moore ahead of him as all time Colts RB's.  Dickerson would be close. 

I like Dickerson more than Faulk. Dickerson had more of an impact on Colts Football than Faulk did. Yeah Dickerson was a Ram too but when he came here it changed a lot. He was the first player we had that put Indy on the map. We also won the Division his first season here. Faulk let me down in 1995, went out with injury. Had he played in the 95 Playoffs we would've won the SB more than likely. With him if he stubbed his big toe he wouldn't play. He isn't near the RB Dickerson was as far as just pure running. Just look at the Halloween game in 88, Dickerson could've had 300 Yards if we left him.

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Dickerson more than Faulk. Dickerson had more of an impact on Colts Football than Faulk did. Yeah Dickerson was a Ram too but when he came here it changed a lot. He was the first player we had that put Indy on the map. We also won the Division his first season here. Faulk let me down in 1995, went out with injury. Had he played in the 95 Playoffs we would've won the SB more than likely. With him if he stubbed his big toe he wouldn't play. He isn't near the RB Dickerson was as far as just pure running. Just look at the Halloween game in 88, Dickerson could've had 300 Yards if we left him.

Good points on Dickerson.   I wouldn't argue either way between the 2.  It's too close.