Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 10 Colts of all time

CR91

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Agree disagree

I thought it was pretty accurate

Can't have a Colts list that doesn't list Lenny Moore in the Top Three.  And Colts would've faded to nothingness without Unitas #1.  I get it, I love Peyton- but History is History!!!  I'd put Johnny U 1, Peyton maybe 2, Moore 3, and leave off Marvin. Then agree with the rest, I guess.

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

Can't have a Colts list that doesn't list Lenny Moore in the Top Three.  And Colts would've faded to nothingness without Unitas #1.  I get it, I love Peyton- but History is History!!!  I'd put Johnny U 1, Peyton maybe 2, Moore 3, and leave off Marvin. Then agree with the rest, I guess.

Choosing between Unitas and Peyton is a tough call you really can't go wrong. You can't leave Marv off the list. 

No big deal, just an opinion.  I've watched the Colts since the mid 1950s, and that's my opinion.  The Colts best receiver Ever was Ray Berry.  The records prove it on consecutive games caught a pass.

and Reggie was a better receiver  (and person for the community) than Marvin, by far.

nite, mornings comin...

Peyton will always be my favorite PERSON. He won on smarts, and was great for the community.

But Unitas is/was the Greatest QB in NFL History. He played at a time when qbs got cheap shot hit on every play. They had virtually no padding. He was slender at 6'1"/ 190.  They had no side endorsements or guarantees contracts (many worked summer jobs to pay the bills).  And Unitas didn't play against the weak (during Peytons time) ACC South.  Each week he played against Dallas Doomsday Defense, or the Rams Fearsome Foursome, or the Vikings Purple People Eaters, or the Giants team of future Hall Of Famers, or Jim Brown's Browns.  He had no off days....

The franchise had moved from Dallas to Miami to Baltimore. The NFL had barely grown from merging with the All American League.  If Unitas hadn't sometimes WILLED his team to win, there would possibly not even be a Colts team today.

49 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Peyton will always be my favorite PERSON. He won on smarts, and was great for the community.

But Unitas is/was the Greatest QB in NFL History. He played at a time when qbs got cheap shot hit on every play. They had virtually no padding. He was slender at 6'1"/ 190.  They had no side endorsements or guarantees contracts (many worked summer jobs to pay the bills).  And Unitas didn't play against the weak (during Peytons time) ACC South.  Each week he played against Dallas Doomsday Defense, or the Rams Fearsome Foursome, or the Vikings Purple People Eaters, or the Giants team of future Hall Of Famers, or Jim Brown's Browns.  He had no off days....

The franchise had moved from Dallas to Miami to Baltimore. The NFL had barely grown from merging with the All American League.  If Unitas hadn't sometimes WILLED his team to win, there would possibly not even be a Colts team today.

I like Johnny U a lot and I think he was the first modern NFL QB and deserves credit for transforming the game.

However, I think you overselling him a little here and under selling Peyton a little.  

There were bad bad teams in the NFL back when Johnny U played and Peyton did beat more than his fair share of good teams when he was here.  In fact, other than the Pats during the first part of his career and the Chargers at the end of his time here he beat most good teams he came up against while he was here.

What you say about Johnny U is true at the end but without Peyton Manning and what he did for this team in Indianapolis there is no LOS and probably no Indianapolis Colts. They would have been off to another market.  Both men saved the franchise in their respective cities.  

At the end of the day we are lucky to have had both and no matter which you prefer as the greatest player in franchise history there isn't that large of a gap to the other.  

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

No big deal, just an opinion.  I've watched the Colts since the mid 1950s, and that's my opinion.  The Colts best receiver Ever was Ray Berry.  The records prove it on consecutive games caught a pass.

and Reggie was a better receiver  (and person for the community) than Marvin, by far.

nite, mornings comin...

Honestly if you look at any other record it says Marvin and Reggie were better.  The reason they didn't surpass consecutive games with a catch is because both got hurt.  Other than that they have well surpassed Berry.  

With that said I do think Berry was better than Reggie, and Reggie is my all time favorite Colt, but Marvin was truly special.  He's in the conversation for one of the five best WRs of all-time IMO and has numbers to back it up.  I am not saying Berry and Reggie weren't special, they are, but I think Marvin is the best none QB to ever play for the Colts.

i would agree Reggie, and Berry for that matter, have done more to be active members in the community, especially after their careers.  Heck Berry is one of the Baltimore Colts to embrace the Colts in Indianapolis and even presented the Super Bowl Trophy when the game was here.  Still I would say Marvin was the better player but that takes nothing away from Berry or Wayne.  Honestly any NFL team would have a hardtime coming up with a better group of top three WRs in their franchise histories.  

Isn't it nice to have a team where so many players could be in a top 10 all time list. With the Colts we need a top 20 or 30, and some one would still have valid arguments on who should be where. But this top 10 is pretty good despite not having a dozen players stuck in as 1a., 1b., 2a., 2b., etc. Pretty good job

43 minutes ago, elyanon said:

I have to agree that with all the great Colts this was a good top ten

1 minute ago, elyanon said:

Isn't it nice to have a team where so many players could be in a top 10 all time list. With the Colts we need a top 20 or 30, and some one would still have valid arguments on who should be where. But this top 10 is pretty good despite not having a dozen players stuck in as 1a., 1b., 2a., 2b., etc. Pretty good job

Yeah a lot of this list just comes down to preference.  The Colts have had their fair share of some pretty special players to play for them over the years.

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

nite, mornings comin...

I respect you because of your age but Lenny Moore isn't even close to being ranked above Peyton nor is Reggie Wayne better than Marvin Harrison. Sorry but you are way off there. If you want to say Unitas is #1 I wont dispute that but I have Peyton #1, Unitas #2, and Marvin #3. Lenny Moore over Peyton or Marvin is way wrong IMO. Ray Berry over Marvin is wrong as well. Look at their Stats and I have seen Ray Berry on film and watched Marvin's whole career live. You must hate Marvin for some reason so your hate has your judgement clouded. Marvin Harrison is arguably a Top 5 WR of all-time period in NFL history. Reggie was great but not probably isn't even Top 20 all-time in NFL history. Not being mean but I have to call someone out that disses Marvin like that, that is just puzzling.

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Leave off Marvin? lmao 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with your Top 3 100%, after 3 it's really tough. Your Top 3 is dead on though.

Yeah it becomes a matter of preference after the top three IMO.  You can probably rank any of about 15 guys in spots 4-10 and have good arguments for them.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah it becomes a matter of preference after the top three IMO.  You can probably rank any of about 15 guys in spots 4-10 and have good arguments for them.

Yeah I agree. I am not sure who I would have at 4. It is real tough after 3. I do a lot of lists and always struggle with this one because after 3 it's tough. I think Bob Sanders belongs in the Top 10 despite being injury prone. Without him I doubt we win the SB in 2006 and he also won DPOY in 2007.

I'll just do a Top 5:

1. Peyton - Is a Top 3 QB of all-time, only behind Brady and Montana

2. Unitas - Is a Top 4 QB of all-time, behind Peyton and the 2 above

3. Marvin - Is a Top 5 WR of all-time

4. Marchetti - Is a Top 5 DE of all-time

5. Mackey - Is a Top 5 TE of all-time

-Reggie Wayne and Raymond Berry are pretty even and should be mentioned. Were Great Colts! As far as impact goes Bob Sanders needs to be mentioned too, we don't win the SB in 2006 without him. He also won DPOY in 2007 no other Colt has ever won that award. Bob belongs in the Ring of Honor, not sure what Irsay is waiting on.

*Eric Dickerson turned our franchise around in 1987 as well. We went from a laughing stock in 1986 at 3-13 to 9-6 in 1987 and Division Champs because of him. In 1988 on Halloween vs Elway's Denver team he turned in the greatest Monday night performance of all-time. Most people look at him as a Ram but as a Colt he was damn great, lead the league in Rushing in 1988.

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

The list left off Lenny Moore. Moore is top Five All NFL.  The Colts have 25 players who should be on every Top 10 list.  Its my opinion, on an opinion board.

That is what I was going to say.... this is a top ten list that needs at least 20 names on it.

Cool to have PM in front of Unitas, remember when he wanted to wear the black high tops in honor of JU?  The league wouldn't let him.

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah a lot of this list just comes down to preference.  The Colts have had their fair share of some pretty special players to play for them over the years.

The Colts as a franchise should have more rings than it does, only a handful of teams have had as much talent as the colts have over the years.

Just now, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Numero Uno es Johnny U!  PM es numero dos. Just my opinion, doesn't make it correct...

I never got to see him play, obviously he was very good.  Issue is two different eras and two different styles, so it is really hard to compare them.  I am just glad they both were Colts... and I am especially glad I lived during and witnessed all of Peyton's games.. even as a Bronco he was amazing to watch.

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Colts as a franchise should have more rings than it does, only a handful of teams have had as much talent as the colts have over the years.

That is so true.. to what do we owe that misfortune?  

Every year (insert lesser team name) took us out of the playoffs, usually the first round, I would think well next year we will be even better and no one will be able to sop us..... and ....... the same thing would happen.  12-4.... lose to the Chargers in the first round.

Feels like a waste of talent, but it was still fun to watch such a well oiled machine (PM) put a whipping on most teams during his Colt years.  I sure hope Andrew is able to do the same once we finish our roster reset- with or without Pagano (side note.... don't start it CC1, lol)

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I never got to see him play, obviously he was very good.  Issue is two different eras and two different styles, so it is really hard to compare them.  I am just glad they both were Colts... and I am especially glad I lived during and witnessed all of Peyton's games.. even as a Bronco he was amazing to watch.

That is why everyone should be judged on the era they played in, not overall.  Johnny U called his own plays, played in a run heavy offensive time, and wide receivers were MUGGED....big difference. It is safe to say he was the prototype for the modern QB. He clearly stood out among his peers.

1 minute ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

That is why everyone should be judged on the era they played in, not overall.  Johnny U called his own plays, played in a run heavy offensive time, and wide receivers were MUGGED....big difference. It is safe to say he was the prototype for the modern QB. He clearly stood out among his peers.

I like it when the NFL or other channels show games from the old days... back when people like Mike Ditka and Dick Butkus just plowed into, over or through people... that was no-nonsense, no-finesse football.....  Break noses and take numbers.

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I like it when the NFL or other channels show games from the old days... back when people like Mike Ditka and Dick Butkus just plowed into, over or through people... that was no-nonsense, no-finesse football.....  Break noses and take numbers.

Exactly!  You didn't come out of a game because your toe hurt!  Look at Jack Youngblood, broke his leg and stayed in and played.

Peyton was the second coming of Johnny U in my mind...a cerebral QB that was a true leader.  I only wish Bert could have stayed healthy as he had the most physical talent of the trio,

20 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Preaching to the choir!

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  Manning

2.  Johnny U

3.  Marvin

4.  Berry

5.  Marchetti

6.  Moore

7.  Donovan

8.  Mackey

9.  Wayne

10.  Freeney

Yeah, You're very close but I'd put Mathis in there too. I know everybody has their favorite, especially the older guys. But if we want to look at this intelligently you're just about right.  Peyton Manning is by far the best player in Colts history he was a coach on the field he revolutionized the position. I just hope Luck can even come close to Peyton greatness. I thought the video was very close to. 

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I respect you because of your age but Lenny Moore isn't even close to being ranked above Peyton nor is Reggie Wayne better than Marvin Harrison. Sorry but you are way off there. If you want to say Unitas is #1 I wont dispute that but I have Peyton #1, Unitas #2, and Marvin #3. Lenny Moore over Peyton or Marvin is way wrong IMO. Ray Berry over Marvin is wrong as well. Look at their Stats and I have seen Ray Berry on film and watched Marvin's whole career live. You must hate Marvin for some reason so your hate has your judgement clouded. Marvin Harrison is arguably a Top 5 WR of all-time period in NFL history. Reggie was great but not probably isn't even Top 20 all-time in NFL history. Not being mean but I have to call someone out that disses Marvin like that, that is just puzzling.

No hate involved. Just my opinion. Marvin was faster with better moves, but I think Reggie had better hands when the pressure was on.

The list posted left Moore off, and he's an All Time NFL Great, so he HAS to be an All Time Colt Great!!!

16 hours ago, jimmy g said:

The list left off Lenny Moore. Moore is top Five All NFL.  The Colts have 25 players who should be on every Top 10 list.  Its my opinion, on an opinion board.

Of course it's an opinion, I just don't see how anyone can leave Marvin off the Top 10. I think he's Top 5 easily.

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

No hate involved. Just my opinion. Marvin was faster with better moves, but I think Reggie had better hands when the pressure was on.

The list posted left Moore off, and he's an All Time NFL Great, so he HAS to be an All Time Colt Great!!!

Yeah I just didn't want my Post to come off as hate. Lenny Moore was a great player no denying that.

23 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Yeah between Peyton and Unitas it is splitting hairs on who was better. I have them both in My Top 5 of all-time period along with Brady, Montana, and Elway. That would be my 5.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course it's an opinion, I just don't see how anyone can leave Marvin off the Top 10. I think he's Top 5 easily.

Indy Colts, absolutely. Combined, I just disagree.  That's why I wanted the Colts renamed when they moved here to keep histories separate.  Too many retired numbers/legacies from Baltimore for more than Peyton to break into the top 10 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah between Peyton and Unitas it is splitting hairs on who was better. I have them both in My Top 5 of all-time period along with Brady, Montana, and Elway. That would be my 5.

Hey, I restrained myself. Notice I didn't insist on Marty Domres!!!!!

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

Indy Colts, absolutely. Combined, I just disagree.  That's why I wanted the Colts renamed when they moved here to keep histories separate.  Too many retired numbers/legacies from Baltimore for more than Peyton to break into the top 10 

Yeah this Thread probably would've been better if we could separate the 2. Best Baltimore Colts? Best Indianapolis Colts?