Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unbreakable NFL Records

Lucky Colts Fan

Unbreakable NFL Records  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What NFL Record will stand the test of time?

• Brett Favre starting 297 consecutive games at QB
    • Derrick Thomas 7 sacks in one game
    • Marvin Harrison 143 receptions in one season
    • Dick Lane 14 interceptions in one season
    • Jerry Rice 22,895 career receiving yards
    • Emmitt Smith 18,355 career rushing yards
    • Other

I came up with the options, so I could make an argument for each, but my pick is Emmitt Smiths' career rushing yards.  All the others that I listed involve the passing game, which is sure to see many records broken with the current trends of the modern pass-happy NFL.

A close second is Dick Lanes' 14 interceptions in one season, which was set in 1952.  For perspective, nobody has had more than ten interceptions in a season since 1981, and the last time someone got double-digit INTs in a season was a decade ago when Antonio Cromartie (ironically) picked off Peyton Manning three times in one game on his way to ten INTs...

most of these seem pretty safe as far as current players breaking them

the int one will be tough, even though its a passing league, teams have learned to stop throwing at a Db once they get 5 or 6 in a year

who has the current streak for QB starts anyway?  i know most of the big names have missed time

i doubt adrian peterson has 6600 yards left in him at 32.  if i had to pick one i would go with emmit's lasting the longest/forever, but jerry's is also pretty safe

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the int one will be tough, even though its a passing league, teams have learned to stop throwing at a Db once they get 5 or 6 in a year

You're right.  No way any offensive coordinator in todays' NFL worth their salt keeps throwing the ball at someone like Lane.  Lane had 14 picks in his ROOKIE season, and it's probably just because the opposing teams' QB/WR/Coaches fell for the bait and thought he was a fluke, and refused to change their gameplan...  Which led to a fluke of a season.  After that, people just didn't throw at guys like Primetime, Revis-Island, etc.

It's a passing league now, but Marcus Peters had a bunch of picks early in his rookie season, and then teams just stopped throwing at him.  Teams adapt.  Even though more passes are being thrown, I don't think any DB will ever get 15 INTs in a season.  Maybe a DB has a fluke of a season where they intercept a pass every single game because their team is in a lot of close games and they are the beneficiary of multiple hail-mary-gimme-picks...

I thought about including Paul Krause career 81 INTs.  I should have.  Nobody will ever break that.  Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, and Ed Reed are some of the best DBs ever, and they are 10+ behind Krause in career INTs.

3 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Though the league is more pass happy than ever, not sure Mannings 55 tds in a season ever get beat.

I hope Manning keeps that record for a long time, but I'd give that record about 4 years.

6,000 yd - 60 TD seasons are in the near future.

45 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

who has the current streak for QB starts anyway?  i know most of the big names have missed time

If I remember correctly, both Mannings were 2nd and 3rd after Favre before Peyton missed 2011.  Eli has the longest current streak, but is still 100+ games behind Favre.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If I remember correctly, both Mannings were 2nd and 3rd after Favre before Peyton missed 2011.  Eli has the longest current streak, but is still 100+ games behind Favre.

I was thinking it was Eli. It seems like he rarely gets hurt.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Favre, hands down.

You might be right.  Luck was supposed to be one of the "toughest" most "durable" QBs of this generation, but he didn't even come close to either Manning when it comes to consecutive starts.

I don't think anyone will ever be able to match Favres' IronMan streak.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You might be right.  Luck was supposed to be one of the "toughest" most "durable" QBs of this generation, but he didn't even come close to either Manning when it comes to consecutive starts.

I think Brady is the only one who may have beaten Favres streak if not for missing the 2011 season. He would've been close, anyway.

But yeah, its hard to see that streak going down. 

10 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You know damn well he played concussed more than once and that simply will not happen in today's game so that record will be tough to break as will the rushing record given that it has become more of a passing league.  Plus running backs generally don't play as long as they used to.

Good thread

24 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

How about 22 sacks? 143 catches in season?

I thought about those, but JJ Watt and Antonio Brown have come close to breaking those recently, and they're still playing and in their prime.  I would consider those records in danger of being broken soon.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I thought about those, but JJ Watt and Antonio Brown have come close to breaking those recently, and they're still playing and in their prime.  I would consider those records in danger of being broken soon.

You're right, a couple have gotten close.. but that's just how hard its gonna be to break them. I mean Wes Welker, Juilo and Antonio were catching everything those years they got close.. still couldn't break it. 

And The sacks.. unless Brett Farve comes back and lays down  while the man with 22 is coming his way.. it's not gonna happen haha

On 7/25/2017 at 8:53 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it's between Emmitt and Brett. Starting 297 straight games is so unreal I want to bow down to Mr Favre but I don't see anyone beating Emmitt's record either because in todays game it's more of a passing league.

Between it being a passing league and the fact that more and more teams operate running back by committee.  Not only that pass receiving ability is becoming more valued in the NFL, so even those teams that deploy a feature back are going to value a guy who can do everything well over a between the tackles rushing expert.  

I would say unless they increase the number of games played quite a bit or something that Smith's rushing yard record won't be broken.  

Closest active player is Frank Gore at 13,065.  Then below him is AP at 11,747.  Both of those guys are pretty much at the end of their career.  So getting to 18,355 is pretty unlikely.  And then after that there isn't a single guy on the list that's with a NFL team now that has more then 10,000 yards.

The 2nd safest record I would say belongs to Rice.  Rice played well for an extremely long time.  The 2nd place right now is TO who at 15,934 yards is almost 7,000 yards behind him.  And the nearest active one is Larry Fitz at 14,383 yards. And Larry is thinking of retirement  Players don't usually play that long and be productive that long.  

Third safest record is the interceptions in a season record.  Interception rates have been going down.  

The career starts one will be hard to break but QB's are playing older and older and there are lots of modern QB's who had pretty long active streaks of their own.

Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers are #3 and #4 in that category.  

Marvin Harrison's record of 143 is only a hair ahead of the 136 that Antonio Brown and Julio Jones both put up in 2015.  This record seems beatable.

7 sacks in a game seems like it could be equaled or beat if you just have a stiuation where a top end pass rusher is taking on a bad OL

The career starts record would be hard and take a long time but looking beatable.  QB's are playing longer then ever and you can find a couple of players now who are high on that list

18,355 by Emmitt is unreal. Even had Barry played 2 more full seasons he wouldn't have that many Yards (he had 15,269), probably around 18,000. Barry would've had played 3 more years to have more than that. So even with him it wasn't a guarantee he would have that record like some say. A lot can happen in Football in 3 seasons.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

18,355 by Emmitt is unreal. Even had Barry played 2 more full seasons he wouldn't have that many Yards (he had 15,269), probably around 18,000. Barry would've had played 3 more years to have more than that. So even with him it wasn't a guarantee he would have that record like some say. A lot can happen in Football in 3 seasons.

I still have to give Barry the big kudos just because Emmitt played on a team that was a scoring machine.

Barry was the only machine most of his career at Detroit.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:53 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it's between Emmitt and Brett. Starting 297 straight games is so unreal I want to bow down to Mr Favre but I don't see anyone beating Emmitt's record either because in todays game it's more of a passing league.

I voted Favre. There was a time I thought Peyton could reach him too and he certainly made a good run at it! 

From the list, I would pick Favre's starting streak.  That is 18+ 16-game seasons without missing a start.  That is crazy.

In terms of records standing the test of time, though, I picked something not on the list.  Cordarrelle Patterson's record for longest kickoff return (109 yards).  I wouldn't be surprised if this record gets tied a few times but it will be very difficult to break, not due to the talent required, but just due to the size of an NFL field.  The kicker would have to drop a kickoff within a yard of the back of the end zone, the returner would have to field it without stepping out of bounds, and then he has to return it for a TD.

On 7/29/2017 at 6:35 AM, JCPatriot said:

In terms of records standing the test of time, though, I picked something not on the list.  Cordarrelle Patterson's record for longest kickoff return (109 yards).  I wouldn't be surprised if this record gets tied a few times but it will be very difficult to break, not due to the talent required, but just due to the size of an NFL field.  The kicker would have to drop a kickoff within a yard of the back of the end zone, the returner would have to field it without stepping out of bounds, and then he has to return it for a TD.

Yeah there are some records that are just technically unbreakable.  You could include all the 99 yd pass and run plays since they can only be tied and not broken.

Or the 98 yard punt since a 99 yard punt would be a touchback.

Favre's starting record probably will never be broken, but I voted for 'other' for one reason - 

OJ Simpson's 2,004 rushing yards in 14 games. 

Let's just keep this topic on football and not the horrible person he became afterwards...OJ Simpson's 1972 MVP season had two incredible records that haven't been touched and probably never will - 

143 average yards per game. I don't think this record will ever be broken since the NFL has become so pass happy. Back in the 90's, Emmitt Smith came close to this record with his 110 average per game, but it's still a big gap from the 143 number. Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders arguably had a shot at the record at one point during 1997 (Sanders' 2K season) and 2001 (Faulk averaged 99 yards a game at one point) but injuries during the season cut the attempts short. Emmitt Smith is the only one who had a real legitimate shot at the yards per game record. 

The other record is the 2,000 rushing yards in only 14 games. Every other 2K rusher in history has never broke that mark before week 15. Simpson got the record back when it was a 14 game season, making it much more significant than every other 2K rusher who achieved the feature in a 16 game season. 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Though the league is more pass happy than ever, not sure Mannings 55 tds in a season ever get beat.

That's what I was thinking...

55 in 16 games is outrageous....///3 a game is 48........one TD pass every quarter is 64

...I don't see anyone playing today who can get there

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I hope Manning keeps that record for a long time, but I'd give that record about 4 years.

6,000 yd - 60 TD seasons are in the near future.

I think 6,000 yards is very doable..

'60 TDs almost requires that you cant run the ball

57 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think 6,000 yards is very doable..

'60 TDs almost requires that you cant run the ball

It will happen. There are already coaches whose first instinct is to pass. Just imagine what will happen when people like Jimbo Fisher get to the NFL. His call against Clemson made Pete Carroll look like a genius. I would say they would be toast like Spurrier and company but the rules give them the edge to further infect football with watered down stats.

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's what I was thinking...

55 in 16 games is outrageous....///3 a game is 48........one TD pass every quarter is 64

...I don't see anyone playing today who can get there

If they expand the season to 18 games, it could get beat. But if it stays at 16, its hard to see it getting beat.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:08 PM, BloodyChamp said:

It will happen. There are already coaches whose first instinct is to pass. Just imagine what will happen when people like Jimbo Fisher get to the NFL. His call against Clemson made Pete Carroll look like a genius. I would say they would be toast like Spurrier and company but the rules give them the edge to further infect football with watered down stats.

But just imagine what will happen when defenses start using 6 DBs on every down (some go 4-2-5 now)

..When you have 4 corners and 2 safeties on the field  at all time..there isn't much option but to run

On 7/25/2017 at 8:55 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am glad you listed Derrick Thomas, he was one of my favorite players of all-time. How he passed away really bothered me, RIP.

The death was shocking. He was a great player. I voted for his NFL record. Has anyone come close to 7 sacks in one game?