Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Timetable within Luck starting to throw

CR91

I really hope its because he is ready and not because he is forcing himself to. Id rather him take his time but kinda glad hes getting used to throwing short. He was a top qb with an injured shoulder forcing him to make short throws and his numbers improved alot and few interceptions when he isnt forced to go long in desperate situations.

Sent from my SM-G935T *

ruuc896a4b198.jpg

Luck won't start throwing just because a) it's been six months since his operation, or b) because this is 8 weeks before the season starts. Neither of those "timeframes" are important.

Luck will start throwing once he's cleared by the medical staff, and not a moment before. If that happens to be this week, it will be purely coincidental. 

20 hours ago, CR91 said:

http://www.theindysportsbeat.com/2017/07/17/andrew-luck-believed-to-begin-throwing-this-week/

This is radio talk show who say luck is at the timetable of the throwing phase so take it for what it's worth

There's nothing new here. anyone who has read any of my posts, or those from Dr. Chao on twitter or at the San Diego Tribune, know there was an estimated time from of mid July or so to be possibly ready to begin, a light throwing program and start the process of re-developing football conditioning - somewhere around this time.

There is still almost no question the Colts will have A. Luck on the pre season PUP list to start training camp.  He won't be ready to practice with the team, but needs to be in team meetings and have full access to medical and training facilities.  The PUP list gives him that.  When ready to practice with the others, they will take him off the PUP.

For those interest in a long read, here's a typical should rehab routine link-

http://bostonshoulderinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/SLAP-II-IV-Complex-Arthroscopic-Labral-Repair-Protocol.pdf

Don't get caught up in terms 'you think you know'... like throwers 10.  That is just a set of 10 rehab exercises developed by (the famous) Dr. Andrews, for pitchers, QB's etc...

http://www.andrewsortho.org/docs/ThrowersTenExerciseProgram.pdf

and here's a video of young lady performing an advanced version-

There's a lot of work that has happened in that last 6 months. Not everyone is completely ready at 6 months and 1 day after being under the knife.  It's a timetable, there's wiggle room to be sure there are no complications or setbacks caused in the healing/rehab process.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

ruuc896a4b198.jpg

Luck won't start throwing just because a) it's been six months since his operation, or b) because this is 8 weeks before the season starts. Neither of those "timeframes" are important.

Luck will start throwing once he's cleared by the medical staff, and not a moment before. If that happens to be this week, it will be purely coincidental. 

Just wanted to give the latest news I can find. The title was misleading, but I thought any news is worth mentioning

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I think you're probably right.        In fact,  I think you're very likely right.

But I'm not 100% convinced of anything surrounding Luck anymore.     Nothing about thyis sugery and recovery feels right to me.

I could see Luck telling Irsay and the medical staff that players play all the time at less than 100% health and since he's needed for game 1,  then he wants to be make sure he's ready to go by, say,  Sept. 1.     I'm not predicting that,  but I could see that happening.

But back in January Irsay tweeted out that Luck would need 3 months of rest and rehb and then a 3 month throwing program.

Then, come the spring,  before the draft,  Ballard and Pagtano started the campaign about Luck will be ready whenever he's ready and the team would not rush him.

Then Irsay tweeted during the sammer that the surgery was routine,  and went fine and everything was OK.

Then, later,  he tweeted again,  and this time it was that he assured the fan base that Luck would be starting Game 1 of the regular season.

I don't know if Irsay is just trying to make sure he's selling tickets or what?     But whenever his story changes,  then my concern-level rises.

The goal line for Luck has continuously shifted.      Nothing feels right about this.     And that's why I'm not 100% on board with he'll start throwing when he's cleared byt he doctors, etc.     I think that's the most likely scenario.      But Luck knows that without him, the chances of this team reaching the playoffs are slim,  so Ibelieve he'll do all that is practical and reasonable in order to play 16 games.....

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Just wanted to give the latest news I can find. The title was misleading, but I thought any news is worth mentioning

Nothing wrong with the thread. The title is a little confusing, but that's not what I was responding to, either. I just don't think people should assume that because it's been 6 months, or because it's 8 weeks from Week 1, that Luck is going to start throwing now. 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

ruuc896a4b198.jpg

Both Carroll and Chappell are smart enough to understand what is driving Luck to start throwing and it is neither mentioned in the article.  I am guessing it is a pretty poor summation of what they actually said.  

I do think the tea leaves suggest Luck will be ready to go on September 10th.  

9 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I do think the tea leaves suggest Luck will be ready to go on September 10th.  

I dam sure hope so. Would be a major disappointment to attend my 1st Colt game w/o Luck playing.

45 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Listening to JMV's show on the radio today. He usually is pretty plugged in and he inferred that the latest prognosis he heard on Luck was "not good". Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Heard this too. Said Luck got a second opinion from a doctor in Ohio. 

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah, searched around twitter and found a few rumors that he was seeing a Dr. in Ohio because his shoulder isn't regaining strength. Possibly indicating a nerve issue. JMV acknowledged he's heard the rumors but his sources haven't said anything about it. Not sure if it's credible but definitely interesting at this point. All we can do is wait. This would stink, one of the many reasons i'm not really excited about the NFL as much as I was a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yeah, searched around twitter and found a few rumors that he was seeing a Dr. in Ohio because his shoulder isn't regaining strength. Possibly indicating a nerve issue. JMV acknowledged he's heard the rumors but his sources haven't said anything about it. Not sure if it's credible but definitely interesting at this point. All we can do is wait. This would stink, one of the many reasons i'm not really excited about the NFL as much as I was a few years ago.

That's seriously terrible, and kind of just ruined my day. 

I heard, from an unnamed source, that they amputated his right arm and are shopping around for replacement parts... That's why he went to OH.

Also, he recently underwent sex reassignment surgery in Mexico and is having complications from that...

LOL... I love rumor mills! 

Here's hoping all is well and he is good to go week 1!   If not, well, I guess we will see just how good this roster is now won't we!

23 hours ago, bap1331 said:

I really hope its because he is ready and not because he is forcing himself to. Id rather him take his time but kinda glad hes getting used to throwing short. He was a top qb with an injured shoulder forcing him to make short throws and his numbers improved alot and few interceptions when he isnt forced to go long in desperate situations.

Sent from my SM-G935T *

They need to adopt that style cause it worked a lot of his INT's were when he had to force it deep.

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Listening to JMV's show on the radio today. He usually is pretty plugged in and he inferred that the latest prognosis he heard on Luck was "not good". Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Oh boy, this all sounds lovely. :eek:

Please be okay Andrew.:beg:

cat-praying.jpg

1 hour ago, MAJHooligan said:

I heard, from an unnamed source, that they amputated his right arm and are shopping around for replacement parts... That's why he went to OH.

Also, he recently underwent sex reassignment surgery in Mexico and is having complications from that...

LOL... I love rumor mills! 

Here's hoping all is well and he is good to go week 1!   If not, well, I guess we will see just how good this roster is now won't we!

Well that explains why many claim he looks thinner and lost muscle mass. Sigh. And in Mexico? Everyone knows for the best sex change operations you go to ARGENTINA. Duh.

Okay sorry carry on with serious stuff again everyone.

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Right now, the main guys on Twitter rolling with this are Jim Osbourne and Brad Wells who have proven to be dead wrong most times this offseason. Case in point when they swore up and down that Manning was signed, sealed and delivered to become Team President before the draft. Still, I think it bears watching.

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Same here. lmao What a bummer to hear even if it's not true.

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Right now, the main guys on Twitter rolling with this are Jim Osbourne and Brad Wells who have proven to be dead wrong most times this offseason. Case in point when they swore up and down that Manning was signed, sealed and delivered to become Team President before the draft. Still, I think it bears watching.

It is worth watching indeed, where there is smoke there is sometimes fire.

Although I never really did buy any of the Peyton was coming here to do anything big rumors.

All rumors are welcomed at all times!!!!!!!!

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you're probably right.        In fact,  I think you're very likely right.

But I'm not 100% convinced of anything surrounding Luck anymore.     Nothing about thyis sugery and recovery feels right to me.

I could see Luck telling Irsay and the medical staff that players play all the time at less than 100% health and since he's needed for game 1,  then he wants to be make sure he's ready to go by, say,  Sept. 1.     I'm not predicting that,  but I could see that happening.

But back in January Irsay tweeted out that Luck would need 3 months of rest and rehb and then a 3 month throwing program.

Then, come the spring,  before the draft,  Ballard and Pagtano started the campaign about Luck will be ready whenever he's ready and the team would not rush him.

Then Irsay tweeted during the sammer that the surgery was routine,  and went fine and everything was OK.

Then, later,  he tweeted again,  and this time it was that he assured the fan base that Luck would be starting Game 1 of the regular season.

I don't know if Irsay is just trying to make sure he's selling tickets or what?     But whenever his story changes,  then my concern-level rises.

The goal line for Luck has continuously shifted.      Nothing feels right about this.     And that's why I'm not 100% on board with he'll start throwing when he's cleared byt he doctors, etc.     I think that's the most likely scenario.      But Luck knows that without him, the chances of this team reaching the playoffs are slim,  so Ibelieve he'll do all that is practical and reasonable in order to play 16 games.....

I don't remember the part where Irsay said it would be 3 months of rest and rehab and then 3 months of throwing. Not saying he didn't say that, but it doesn't ring a bell for me.

As for the rest, yes, Irsay is definitely selling tickets. He has to do what he can to put the fan base at rest that the prized QB with the huge contract is going to be okay. He's probably oversold it. There's no real reason to believe that Luck won't be okay long term, even if he does miss a few games, but it's much better if he can hit the field asap. So Irsay has pushed that expectation from start to finish, which isn't really necessary, IMO. Since then, everyone else with the team has kind of backtracked, with the whole 'there is no timetable, he'll be ready when he's ready' angle, which more accurate and more reasonable.

Also, for several years now, the idea has continually been that it was Grigson's recklessness and/or incompetence that led to Luck getting hurt in the first place, and by extension, that means it's Irsay's fault because he hired and kept Grigson. To whatever extent one believes that, Irsay's 'nothing to see here' stance might be a little influenced by his desire to downplay how much the team has put Luck at risk since 2012. (And you know I'm not the #1 Grigson basher, nor do I think he was reckless with the OL, but he didn't do a good job with the OL until his last draft. And the coaching staff has a hand in it with their long form offense.)

That's all just speculation and conjecture on my part. I do think Irsay's initial nonchalance was a bit of a sales job, though. In the end, as long as Luck makes a full recovery, I'm not concerned, even if there is something going on that we don't know about.

According to this, Arians think the surgery should have been done sooner. It's just one line. Of course Arians isn't like on our team for years now but well it's all I could find googling to feed the rumor-ville beast within me.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bruce-arians-thinks-andrew-luck-is-a-combo-of-peytons-brain-and-big-bens-body/

"It took Ben a couple years to do no-huddle and call it. Peyton three years. Andrew, three games. He's brilliant. They say he's got a photographic memory. I don't know what the hell it is, but I know you tell him once, and he's got it," Arians said. "And his athletic ability is amazing. When you think of Peyton's brain and Ben's body and toughness and heart, you got Andrew. So much goes into winning. Not just one guy. He probably needed that surgery sooner than he got it."

Instead of starting another Luck thread, I thought I'd place this post here....

Today, Wednesday July 19th, is the 6th month anniversary of Irsay announcing Luck's surgery.

I'm hoping that there will soon be an announcement that Luck is throwing.      In fact,  I'm hoping that the announcement will say he's been throwing for several weeks.      I know,  I'm pushing my Luck.    (Pun, NOT intended)

But I think with each passing day and there's no announcement I think the chances of him missing part of the season grow.....

I'm not trying to be a drama queen here,  and I obviously hope I'm wrong,   but this is my growing concern.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Instead of starting another Luck thread, I thought I'd place this post here....

Today, Wednesday July 19th, is the 6th month anniversary of Irsay announcing Luck's surgery.

I'm hoping that there will soon be an announcement that Luck is throwing.      In fact,  I'm hoping that the announcement will say he's been throwing for several weeks.      I know,  I'm pushing my Luck.    (Pun, NOT intended)

But I think with each passing day and there's no announcement I think the chances of him missing part of the season grow.....

I'm not trying to be a drama queen here,  and I obviously hope I'm wrong,   but this is my growing concern.

It is almost without question that when Luck is cleared to throw, it will be 6 weeks under a progressive program under medical supervision before he will be allowed to participate in team drills.  That does not leave much wiggle room to be fully ready week 1, but it is still possible.

Personally I don't see what the rush is.   I have zero need to see Luck play during the preseason and training camp.  Get that thing healed up as much as you need to bro.   I trust he'll be with us when the bullets start firing for real.   I just think they are being extra precautious since we lost him for the bulk of the entire season in 2015.

Heard he’ll be throwing in 2 weeks. If that’s true awesome. The reason we’ve had slow starts is the fact that the practices have been so short for him. It messed with the chemistry. I’m with people wanting him fully healthy.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:34 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think you're exactly right. Because we will need him and if the doctors think there's no more chance for more problems in the future by throwing at less than 100 %. Then I think he'll just have to be ready at less than 100 %. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Personally I don't see what the rush is.   I have zero need to see Luck play during the preseason and training camp.  Get that thing healed up as much as you need to bro.   I trust he'll be with us when the bullets start firing for real.   I just think they are being extra precautious since we lost him for the bulk of the entire season in 2015.

I completely agree with you.  It does make me nervous about the whole second opinion rumor from a Dr. in Ohio.  I would think if him not playing week 1 is in jeopardy that the Colts would sign another QB but it's still early. 

23 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

22 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

This is interesting, I just heard him say that what he has been told Luck was on schedule and that is the story he, JMV, has been saying for the past couple of months.  He said that he was just addressing rumors that he had heard yesterday.  Sounds like there was some miscommunicating going on, although I did not hear yesterday's broadcast.

5 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

This is interesting, I just heard him say that what he has been told Luck was on schedule and that is the story he, JMV, has been saying for the past couple of months.  He said that he was just addressing rumors that he had heard yesterday.  Sounds like there was some miscommunicating going on, although I did not hear yesterday's broadcast.

You're right, he just clarified and said that there are some disturbing rumors flying around out there that he can't confirm nor deny but he's not wavering from what he's been told.  That being that Luck is on schedule. 

12 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

You're right, he just clarified and said that there are some disturbing rumors flying around out there that he can't confirm nor deny but he's not wavering from what he's been told.  That being that Luck is on schedule. 

Yes.  Saw some tweets from him last night saying as much.

I think the most obvious sign that Luck is where they think he should be and has had no set backs is the lack of a veteran QB on the roster.  I just think if his health was a concern, Ballard would have addressed it earlier in the off season by bringing in someone.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Yes.  Saw some tweets from him last night saying as much.

I think the most obvious sign that Luck is where they think he should be and has had no set backs is the lack of a veteran QB on the roster.  I just think if his health was a concern, Ballard would have addressed it earlier in the off season by bringing in someone.

Not setting off any alarm bells about Luck, but Tolzien is a veteran QB. He's only started 3 games, but he's been in the league five years already, he's 30 years old, and he's been with the Colts for a year already. He's not the Hasselbeck level veteran backup, who's seen/done it all, but he's a decent backup, if necessary.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Not setting off any alarm bells about Luck, but Tolzien is a veteran QB. He's only started 3 games, but he's been in the league five years already, he's 30 years old, and he's been with the Colts for a year already. He's not the Hasselbeck level veteran backup, who's seen/done it all, but he's a decent backup, if necessary.

Yeah, I get that.  And like you said, no alarm bells here, but it is very possible they think, even with his limitations, Tolzien and his knowledge of the offense, is a better option than a Fitzpatrick or some other vet QB on the street.