Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers fire general manager Dave Gettleman

Crofan

Timing is really weird....they just let their assistant GM go to Buffalo and let their current GM have one more draft before firing him.  A lot of Panthers fans/former players are happy about this.  Josh Norman, DeAngelo Williams, and Steve Smith Sr. all commented.  Seems similar to what the Colts had with Grigson

Wow, this is a huge surprise! Before being hired by Carolina, Gettleman had over 30 years experience in scouting. He was with Buffalo in 1990 and 1991, Denver in 1997 and the Giants in 2000, 2007 and 2011. 

Panthers fans are pretty upset about this firing. The timing is odd too with training camp fast approaching. 

17 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Another race to 7-9 in the NFC South. Yeah yeah Atlanta well there's still 2nd place, and Atlanta might be traumatized.

Oh boy, they're definitely traumatized...Atlanta has serious dysfunction problems within their organization right now since that SB loss. 

In Atlanta we have; Freeman getting on the radio and bashing the team in his "I should've been SB MVP" rant. Dan Quinn with the whole "Embrace the Suck" slogan, Quinn again who bashed the defense in the media and blamed them for the failure, finger pointing over the play calling, the firing of linebacker coach Bryan Cox (which was absolutely shocking, since Atlanta did get 5 sacks and dozens of hits in that game). 

Going to be an entertaining year to see how hard they fall. 

13 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Oh boy, they're definitely traumatized...Atlanta has serious dysfunction problems within their organization right now since that SB loss. 

In Atlanta we have; Freeman getting on the radio and bashing the team in his "I should've been SB MVP" rant. Dan Quinn with the whole "Embrace the Suck" slogan, Quinn again who bashed the defense in the media and blamed them for the failure, finger pointing over the play calling, the firing of linebacker coach Bryan Cox (which was absolutely shocking, since Atlanta did get 5 sacks and dozens of hits in that game). 

Going to be an entertaining year to see how hard they fall. 

They will win the division

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Odd timing, don't they usually do this after the season ends for GM's?

He was fairly successful too as a GM I thought.  

Outside of the draft, he didn't handle things well.  Jon Beason, Josh Norman, and Steve Smith Sr. all had negative things to say about him.  He didn't get along well with Jerry Richardson/didn't listen to Richardson's desires.  He's also been hesitant to give deserving vets contracts, like Greg Olsen or Thomas Davis.  He's been a good talent evaluator/scout, but many Panthers fans dislike him for all the other stuff he's done

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Outside of the draft, he didn't handle things well.  Jon Beason, Josh Norman, and Steve Smith Sr. all had negative things to say about him.  He didn't get along well with Jerry Richardson/didn't listen to Richardson's desires.  He's also been hesitant to give deserving vets contracts, like Greg Olsen or Thomas Davis.  He's been a good talent evaluator/scout, but many Panthers fans dislike him for all the other stuff he's done

It's all perspective.  Some prior NFL office people say he did his job... got rid of old and injured guys. IE:, Beason was often in the tub and not on the field, even after the trade to NY Giants. Smith was jettisoned to transition the team to Newton, Norman was an engma, but I feel the hardline stance on his (lack of) contract renewal, it  was the first straw on the Gettleman Camel. Recently, he supposedly has indeed went hardline on Davis and Olsen in their contract demands.  These two also appear to be favorites of the Owner, and thus no more room for Gettleman.

He did have the Panthers in 3 straight playoffs and 1 Super Bowl recently.  Pat Kirwan labels the firing "stupid". Period.  Says see where the Panthers are in 3 years...

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's all perspective.  Some prior NFL office people say he did his job... got rid of old and injured guys. IE:, Beason was often in the tub and not on the field, even after the trade to NY Giants. Smith was jettisoned to transition the team to Newton, Norman was an engma, but I feel the hardline stance on his (lack of) contract renewal, it  was the first straw on the Gettleman Camel. Recently, he supposedly has indeed went hardline on Davis and Olsen in their contract demands.  These two also appear to be favorites of the Owner, and thus no more room for Gettleman.

He did have the Panthers in 3 straight playoffs and 1 Super Bowl recently.  Pat Kirwan labels the firing "stupid". Period.  Says see where the Panthers are in 3 years...

It seems that most of the Panthers' top players were brought in by his predecessor. Right? Just going off what I remember, it seemed that the previous GM Hurney was let go in a similar fashion. I recall having the thought that Richardson should have given Hurney one more year. I attribute much of the Panthers' recent success to Hurney.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yeah, it's tough to justify firing a GM who is 2 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance.  I thought he was doing a good job, I wasn't aware of all of the conflicts between him and players or him and Richardson

I don't get it, seems odd. There has to be something else going on behind the scenes none of us knew about. There has to be.

12 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Somebody always crashes. It's usually a championship game loser but it has been the SB loser before. I'm not quite ready to bet on it but I could see the Falcons being 1 of the rare cases for sure.

Well, you have to say the Falcons are still the division favorites but last offseason we thought Carolina was. The NFC South seems to often shock us in switching division winners with a suprise team. If the Falcons do repeat as division champs I could almost see them being a bit like the 2010 Colts.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It seems that most of the Panthers' top players were brought in by his predecessor. Right? Just going off what I remember, it seemed that the previous GM Hurney was let go in a similar fashion. I recall having the thought that Richardson should have given Hurney one more year. I attribute much of the Panthers' recent success to Hurney.

I think Hurney had a long stretch of success previously, but was let go after going 1- 5 immediately following a 6 - 10 season. His departure was performance related.  I think Gettleman's firing is a different variety, nothing about performance or football decisions; irrespective of who drafted who and when.  It seems all about being old school hard nosed opposition to the teams players.

Thing is, that is a part of his job (contract and whether fit for roster).  No question. It's just that some, including the owner and at least 4 former players, think he had gone over the top too often.