Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Johnny Football return in the works

RockThatBlue

Didn't take it seriously when he had his chance.  The league is too competitive with too many guys looking for roster spots.  Plus, he already fooled the league when he said he was taking football very seriously before the draft.  We saw how that turned out.  If I'm a GM, I wouldn't go anywhere near Manziel.

35 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Didn't take it seriously when he had his chance.  The league is too competitive with too many guys looking for roster spots.  Plus, he already fooled the league when he said he was taking football very seriously before the draft.  We saw how that turned out.  If I'm a GM, I wouldn't go anywhere near Manziel.

Yeah if I had to bet on it, I say he doesn't make it back as a starter.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Is he a good QB though? Lol

Personally I think if he got his mind together he could be a good QB. He is definitely talented, he was a stud in college.

I'm talking about talent wise, not his off the field stuff

19 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

Drew Brees is the same size so I wouldn't count him out

But Manziel is just a poor passer overall. Not accurate, doesn't got the mechanics. Relies on his legs way too much. Can't sit in the pocket and make the throws an NFL QB has to make.

If he proves me wrong then I'll be damned, but so far, I don't think he even has the talent to make it in the league, let alone the drive. 

I don't see it happening any time soon. His behavior issues and passing mechanics are just the reason he did not succeed to begin with. Outside of the drinking and all the big problems with his attitude, there were warning signs due to his mechanics in college. He was entertaining to watch in college no doubt, and he did beat Alabama so 1+ to him for that, but he had large question marks on him before he was drafted. 

3 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Drew Brees is the same size so I wouldn't count him out

So is Russell Wilson. Not really a good comparison since both Brees and Wilson have far different mechanics from Manziel. 

2 hours ago, Synthetic said:

I don't see it happening any time soon. His behavior issues and passing mechanics are just the reason he did not succeed to begin with. Outside of the drinking and all the big problems with his attitude, there were warning signs due to his mechanics in college. He was entertaining to watch in college no doubt, and he did beat Alabama so 1+ to him for that, but he had large question marks on him before he was drafted. 

So is Russell Wilson. Not really a good comparison since both Brees and Wilson have far different mechanics from Manziel. 

Great Post. Drew Brees is awesome buddy, he is in my Top 20 of all-time and a HOFamer. He is a couple of inches taller than john too.

13 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Good QB. Hope he makes a comeback

It would be an amazing story if Johnny Football actually made a comeback and was successful in the NFL.  Probably a 30 for 30 worthy story.  But it could also go the other way and he could end up in a prison cell like Ryan Leaf.

I can see signing an "at-risk" player at WR, RB, or DB, but an NFL QB needs to be "the guy".  Manziel, JaMarcus Russell and even Kaepernick are all talented, but they're not the team leader that you need at QB.

16 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Good QB. Hope he makes a comeback

Maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really kind of hope Johny Football isn't afforded another opportunity...

I guess I'm all for 2nd chances, but Manziel just comes of as a rich entitled brat who squandered his first-go-around in grand fashion...

Guess I'd rather see Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, or any number of other undrafted QBs make a comeback or get their opportunity before Manziel...

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

What are we betting on? Him actually coming back or him getting the chance? He's probably already had a chance and kept his yap shut. Quarterbacks always get a chance if they had 1 good day.

I'm not sure 'coming back' is an appropriate phrase, unless that bar is soooo low.

So, to me, for him, 'coming back', is the same as 'getting a chance'.

11 hours ago, Synthetic said:

I'm not comparing mechanics, I'm comparing that 6 foot QBs work in the league..

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Because he is terrible and out of his mind

He's ultra talented, and has the skills to become better, I'm not saying he's a HoF but he's a better than multiple QBs on rosters right now.

I'm not talking about his issues

2 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

He's ultra talented, and has the skills to become better, I'm not saying he's a HoF but he's a better than multiple QBs on rosters right now.

I'm not talking about his issues

He isn't ultra talented.   He was a running qb in college.   He can't read a defense,  He doesn't have a big arm, and never bothered to learn the offense.  If he was a great qb,  the off field stuff wouldn't matter.  He would have a job

6 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really kind of hope Johny Football isn't afforded another opportunity...

I guess I'm all for 2nd chances, but Manziel just comes of as a rich entitled brat who squandered his first-go-around in grand fashion...

Guess I'd rather see Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, or any number of other undrafted QBs make a comeback or get their opportunity before Manziel...

Feel the exact same way 100%.  The guy was entertaining to watch, for sure.  But other guys have their head on straight and are working harder whereas Manziel is making it off of name recognition.  I'd rather use the roster space on a guy who isn't going to be a distraction off the field and will actually work hard on the field than a guy like Manziel, who seems to only be interested in partying

14 hours ago, Synthetic said:

I guess they are both listed at 6'0, Johnny seems shorter for some reason.

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't ultra talented.   He was a running qb in college.   He can't read a defense,  He doesn't have a big arm, and never bothered to learn the offense.  If he was a great qb,  the off field stuff wouldn't matter.  He would have a job

The off the stuff would matter, that's the biggest joke I've seen. There's no way he'd have a job no matter how good he is

1 hour ago, Boomstick1 said:

The off the stuff would matter, that's the biggest joke I've seen. There's no way he'd have a job no matter how good he is

If he was good,  He would have a job.  Look at Leonard little,  Dexter manley,  even Big Ben.  Dude has no heart and he sucks