Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Sport Do You Follow The Most On Talk Show Radio

Watching an ESPN documentary on Mike & The Mad Dog last night got me to thinking growing up In Chicago I don't recall sport talk shows on the radio. I listen to some shows during the football offseason but when the season grows close I listen exclusively to sports talk AM and zero music. Houston has a great channel that is staffed all day and night with smart and funny hosts. 

Football and basketball mostly. Don't listen to many national sports shows, mostly local Indiana ones and sometimes IHeart for kentucky sports talk.

IF I do listen to a national show its usually Mike and Mike. But I work early mornings now so I don't get to listen to them but maybe once every month or 2.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JMV when I get a chance but my work schedule is so messed up, sometimes I cant listen to him. I like Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN as well.

JMV is the best local sports show IMO. His show comes on about the time I get off work so thankfully I get to listen to it quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

JMV is the best local sports show IMO. His show comes on about the time I get off work so thankfully I get to listen to it quite a bit. 

I agree he is easily the best. Dakich is awful but sometimes I will listen to him if I am out driving around just to see what silly thing he will say next. JMV rules and he is really great at reporting a story before it happens. Guy has to have great sources.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:43 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Football and basketball.. It's extremely sad that Mike and Mike is going to be over soon :(. You guys ever listen to Dan LeBatard show? It's kinda ridiculous..

I am displeased about that too. I have been waking up to Mike and Mike for over 15 years. I will miss them a lot. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, King Colt said:

Watching an ESPN documentary on Mike & The Mad Dog last night got me to thinking growing up In Chicago I don't recall sport talk shows on the radio. I listen to some shows during the football offseason but when the season grows close I listen exclusively to sports talk AM and zero music. Houston has a great channel that is staffed all day and night with smart and funny hosts. 

Good question.

Football and basketball

Baseball doenst lend itself to talk radio, to me. You cant analzye one baseball game realistically.

Baseball isn't a one-game or even a 10-game thing.

Football is perfect for talk radio and I think that's why most athlete-talk show hosts are ex football players (In Chicago, they all are)

I remember Bill Berg doing talk in the 1970s on WGN..and Chet Coppack on WMAQ in Chicago

I dont understand the appeal of Chris Rosso. I cant listen to his voice for more than 20 seconds.

I don't know if he's smart or not. I dont know if that's a fake voice or not

He sounds like Fran Drescher of 'The Nanny',

..and I've never heard Mike Francesca at all. I guess sports talk is local

I liked Terry Boers and Dan Berstein on WSCR in Chicago but Terry retired and I dont listen any more.

ESPN 1000 has some good guys but they seem to get bored if its not football season

Sports talk lives and dies on football, I guess

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Cant hear Indy radio down there but our local PBS radio station used to carry Dan Dakich because he went to school in Merrillville.

I like Dakich and he never seems bored...even when he;s trying to get through the football season

He has expertise on basketball that you don't get on the radio much

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:43 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Football and basketball.. It's extremely sad that Mike and Mike is going to be over soon :(. You guys ever listen to Dan LeBatard show? It's kinda ridiculous..

I cannot understand the Dan Lebatard show at all, Chris

What ever is going on in sports that day...you can count on them not to be talking about it.

..and I dont get the 'Mike and Mike' breakup....

..they may just create 2 shows that will fail

12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

What ever is going on in sports that day...you can count on them not to be talking about it.

I can't watch that Dan Lebatard show with is dad. A waste of 30 minutes. I can't listen to anyone with a New York accent because they all still cling to the Yankees of old and all NYers believe their city is the only city on Earth.

26 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I can't watch that Dan Lebatard show with is dad. A waste of 30 minutes. I can't listen to anyone with a New York accent because they all still cling to the Yankees of old and all NYers believe their city is the only city on Earth.

Ha. What makes you think that?

Sounds like projection or something written by someone with an inferiority complex. :facepalm:

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Ha. What makes you think that?

Sounds like projection or something written by someone with an inferiority complex. :facepalm:

Inferiority complex??!! How about the ability to recognize an obnoxious *. NY city is a great place to take a dump. Spend a few days on the Jersey shore then get back to me.

38 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Inferiority complex??!! How about the ability to recognize an obnoxious *. NY city is a great place to take a dump. Spend a few days on the Jersey shore then get back to me.

Lol. Look in the mirror. Those spreading hate and making generalizations about other people or places are those being obnoxious. It is worse than trolling.

23 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

And they are not shy about it either.. they clearly dont care to be a sports talk radio. They have a zoo guy come in ever week tp talk about animals.. how did they get a national show??

4 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

And they are not shy about it either.. they clearly dont care to be a sports talk radio. They have a zoo guy come in ever week tp talk about animals.. how did they get a national show??

I have watched that show a few times and even when Bomani was on it, I would cringe. They have no sense of humor and don't realize when someone is being funny or sarcastic. I don't like that show at all. Mike and Mike is the best show on ESPN IMO.

On 7/22/2017 at 9:36 PM, oldunclemark said:

What are you referring to about the Lebatard Show? I have never watched his show but I think he useD to be on the radio.

I don't watch ESPN on TV anymore, but I listen to some of their shows on the radio, mostly mornings before going to work and on Sundays. I used to enjoy this one local guy named Robin Lundberg but he was let go along with about 100 other ESPN employees.

On 7/22/2017 at 9:32 PM, oldunclemark said:

I remember Bill Berg doing talk in the 1970s on WGN..and Chet Coppack on WMAQ in Chicago

I dont understand the appeal of Chris Rosso. I cant listen to his voice for more than 20 seconds.

I don't know if he's smart or not. I dont know if that's a fake voice or not

He sounds like Fran Drescher of 'The Nanny',

..and I've never heard Mike Francesca at all. I guess sports talk is local

You have never heard of Mike Francesa? He has been on the radio since 1989 or so. His show comes on in most parts of the country on weekday afternoons. If you heard of "Mike and the Mad Dog", he is Mike.  He has had a national football show on the radio on Sundays during the NFL season for at least 20 years.

You mentioned Chet Coppack. There used to be a 24-hour sports radio station called Sporting News Radio. Do you know it? It may still be around but we no longer get it where I am. I believe it was based out of the Chicago area or somewhere in the Midwest. Chet Coppack used to have a show on Saturdays or Sundays. Other sports radio personalities that I remember were Jay Mariotti, Scott Wetzel, Nestor Aparicio, Tony Bruno, Papa Joe Chevalier (deceased), Bruce Murray, Rick Ballou, and others. I used to enjoy them because they talked national sports, not just local sports. 

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You have never heard of Mike Francesa? He has been on the radio since 1989 or so. His show comes on in most parts of the country on weekday afternoons. If you heard of "Mike and the Mad Dog", he is Mike.  He has had a national football show on the radio on Sundays during the NFL season for at least 20 years.

You mentioned Chet Coppack. There used to be a 24-hour sports radio station called Sporting News Radio. It may still be around but we no longer get it where I am. I believe it was based out of the Chicago area or somewhere in the Midwest. Chet Coppack used to have a show on Saturdays or Sundays. Other sports radio personalities that I remember were Jay Mariotti, Scott Wetzel, Nestor Aparicio, Kevin Wheeler, Tony Bruno,  Papa Joe Chevalier (deceased), Larry Cotler, Bruce Murray, Rick Ballou, and others. James Brown who is on CBS NFL Today used to have a 1 or 2 hour show during mid-mornings. He was very good. 

I've heard of Mike Francesca..

I've never heard his show.  Not one time.  Hes not on here in the Chicago area.
I'm not knocking him..he must be good. I've just never heard him

Howard Stern isn't on in Chicago. Most of the names you mention, I've never heard their shows.

Russo used to be on with Don Imus when Imus was on TV...and that's where I know him from.

Seems like a decent kid but he's strange

We didn't get Sporting News radio in Chicago except overnights. The NBC radio network was never on up here.  Daytime sports programming was and is pretty local in Chicago....

Mike North, Dan Jiggetts....Carmen and Jurko....Waddle and Silvy

With Sirius Radio..I know every body is on Nationally now...

Ive heard a little of that (just got a newer car) and it sounds good..a channel for every sport. Interesting

But its not free... so my interest is chilled by lack of cash

Edited by oldunclemark

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

That's so right.

I used to drive through South Bend and I heard LeBetard on a South Bend station.

His show made no sense for a national audience and they quickly went to something else.

He must be the nephew of the guy who runs ESPN...or his bookie

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I've heard of Mike Francesca..

I've never heard his show.  Not one time.  Hes not on here in the Chicago area.
I'm not knocking him..he must be good. I've just never heard him

Howard Stern isn't on in Chicago. Most of the names you mention, I've never heard their shows.

Russo used to be on with Don Imus when Imus was on TV...and that's where I know him from.

Seems like a decent kid but he's strange

We didn't get Sporting News radio in Chicago except overnights. The NBC radio network was never on up here.  Daytime sports programming was and is pretty local in Chicago....

Mike North, Dan Jiggetts....Carmen and Jurko....Waddle and Silvy

With Sirius Radio..I know every body is on Nationally now...

Ive heard a little of that (just got a newer car) and it sounds good..a channel for every sport. Interesting

But its not free... so my interest is chilled by lack of cash

I know Waddle and Silvy. That is part of ESPN Radio, I believe.

Mike Francesa was the "brain" of Mike and the Mad Dog (Chris Russo). When they were together, I always preferred Mike because Mike seemed more knowledgeable and Russo was there to create controversy and get under peoples' skin. The show was very successful; they were the highest rated radio show for a long time. (Btw, Russo is not a kid. He must be close to 60 now.)

You must have heard of Jay Mariotti? He was a columnist for the Chicago Sun Times. He had a show on Sporting News Radio. 

I've read Jay Mariotti when he was in Chicago....and I've seen him on ESPN...on one of their writer shows..

Nothing special

Russo sounds and acts like a kid..at least he did with Imus. Is that a fake voice he uses?..because it seems like he talks that way for effect

But everything is taste....especially in sports talk.....

We have a guy up here...Les Grobstein..who everybody makes fun of but he's been on for decades..Does overnights on AM 670

There's a trick to making your opinion entertaining. You have to turn people on without turning them off. Opinions aren't facts. Just having an attitude isn't listenable..You don't need to prove what you're saying you just have to have a way of saying things..Obviously Russo does or he would not have been on that long.

Talk radio must be hard to do because you have to create (make up) something every day

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, NFLfan said:

Lol. Look in the mirror. Those spreading hate and making generalizations about other people or places are those being obnoxious. It is worse than trolling.

Spoken like a true florist. Spreading hate??!! Start using a mouthwash.