Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Marshall gets angry on Boston radio show, walks off show

bababooey

He was asked about his quote when Brady got suspended for destroying his cell phone in the wake of having his lackeys deflate his footballs prior to the game. The quote being that black players get treated differently than others. 

Basically: 

• They bring up race.

• He politely says he doesn't want to talk about race.

• They press him regardless of what he wants.

• He gives in and makes a general statement about black people without underselling or overexaggerating in any way. Then he follows this up by saying he will leave if they continue to talk about race.

• They continue to talk about race.

• He again threatens to leave.

• They say "okay" and move on... Do they intelligently move on to something lighter since he's already irritated? NO! They move on to talking about his past problems.

• He calmly gets up, says he's leaving, and explains why.

• Bonus: He spills his coffee and is EXTREMELY apologetic and stays (through some serious awkwardness) to try and clean it up, making sure the laptop near him isn't soiled. They rip him for leaving and bring up the fact that he was treated in Boston for his health issues and call him a coward.

Video here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721460-brandon-marshall-ends-interview-after-question-about-comment-on-white-qbs

I thought he did the right thing, these radio hosts could learn a few lessons from this.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

He was asked about his quote when Brady got suspended for destroying his cell phone in the wake of having his lackeys deflate his footballs prior to the game. The quote being that black players get treated differently than others. 

Basically: 

• They bring up race.

• He politely says he doesn't want to talk about race.

• They press him regardless of what he wants.

• He gives in and makes a general statement about black people without underselling or overexaggerating in any way. Then he follows this up by saying he will leave if they continue to talk about race.

• They continue to talk about race.

• He again threatens to leave.

• They say "okay" and move on... Do they intelligently move on to something lighter since he's already irritated? NO! They move on to talking about his past problems.

• He calmly gets up, says he's leaving, and explains why.

• Bonus: He spills his coffee and is EXTREMELY apologetic and stays (through some serious awkwardness) to try and clean it up, making sure the laptop near him isn't soiled. They rip him for leaving and bring up the fact that he was treated in Boston for his health issues and call him a coward.

Video here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721460-brandon-marshall-ends-interview-after-question-about-comment-on-white-qbs

I thought he did the right thing, these radio hosts could learn a few lessons from this.

Without the benefit of actually hearing the show, I think he did the right thing also.

One day they may ask him on again. He'll likely decline, and they'll bash him again.

I don't blame him at all. WEEI is a Boston station who was trying to bait Marshall into talking about Brady.

They drag something in that was said two years ago. Just goes to show how Boston's media holds a grudge when anything negative is said about Brady no matter if it's true.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't blame him at all. WEEI is a Boston station who was trying to bait Marshall into talking about Brady.

They drag something in that was said two years ago. Just goes to show how Boston's media holds a grudge when anything negative is said about Brady no matter if it's true.

They really are petulant children with a little brother complex.

this was less about Brady and more about the politics of these 2 hosts. I realize political discussions aren't allowed here, and I'm not bringing this up to start a political argument. I'm simply trying to provide the context here, and that is that these 2 consistently rant about this exact issue. They went on for weeks about this when Adam Jones (Orioles) claimed that someone was yelling the "N" word at him from the stands at Fenway. They've also gone after Bomani Jones and Michael Che recently over their comments on race related issues.

28 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

this was less about Brady and more about the politics of these 2 hosts. I realize political discussions aren't allowed here, and I'm not bringing this up to start a political argument. I'm simply trying to provide the context here, and that is that these 2 consistently rant about this exact issue. They went on for weeks about this when Adam Jones (Orioles) claimed that someone was yelling the "N" word at him from the stands at Fenway. They've also gone after Bomani Jones and Michael Che recently over their comments on race related issues.

Based on the reddit post about this, it appears Pats fans don't even like these guys because of their politics.

they tried to put him in a no win situation and he did the only thing he could, walk out

if he answers the question they spin it to make him look bad no matter what he says.  if he walks out they get more publicity than if he had just answered

its interesting that no one really cared about BMs comments when he made them in 2015, but now after the kapernick ordeal they saw an opportunity to make him look bad.

hes absolutely right when he says black guys are treated differently, this radio show is a perfect example

12 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Based on the reddit post about this, it appears Pats fans don't even like these guys because of their politics.

yeah...overall MA is a pretty heavy liberal state, and they (Callahan in particular) are pretty conservative. I know they got told a few years back to stay off of politics and keep it to sports, because it got to be an almost daily thing that was costing them ratings. So they've for the most part stayed out of pure political stuff.

But this particular theme (race relations) has become kind of a gray area because a lot of it spills over into sports...so that gives them a door to talk about it while still technically talking about sports issues.

9 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

yeah...overall MA is a pretty heavy liberal state, and they (Callahan in particular) are pretty conservative. I know they got told a few years back to stay off of politics and keep it to sports, because it got to be an almost daily thing that was costing them ratings. So they've for the most part stayed out of pure political stuff.

But this particular theme (race relations) has become kind of a gray area because a lot of it spills over into sports...so that gives them a door to talk about it while still technically talking about sports issues.

Yeah definitely, that's the whole northeast. NY Times actually ran an article just last week saying how conservatives have a home at WFAN (the NY radio station from last night's 30 for 30). I don't listen every day, but listen enough to know that I don't think it's necessarily true, it's just a place to go where politics isn't injected unless it becomes the story (Kaepernick).

The morning show today focused on last night's 30 for 30 but the mid day show (which I listened to most of) didn't mention this incident, considering Marshall is/was a NY athlete I was surprised. Both sides should just keep the politics to themselves behind the mic. We use sports to avoid that considering the current divide.

Talking to people respectfully is apparently hard these days...This isn't just a BoMA issue, it's lots of radio and news shows.  The agenda and ratings trump all, generally at the cost of of human decency, or if not, then at least their dignity.  Meh.  Say what you will about shows like Mike and Mike or JMV, but at least they know how to entertain and discuss practically anything on the air without being a complete butt head.

Callahan and Kirk Minihane are jerks... not surprised how this was all handled.

WEEI used to basically be the only sports talk station in Boston. (There were others but EEI was by far the most popular.)  

In 2009, a second (FM) station - 98.5 The Sports Hub - started up. Since then, they've regularly beaten WEEI in ratings at all times of day. Pretty handily in most ratings periods. I don't really know anyone who listens to EEI anymore... 

98.5 has some homerism (Scott Zolak, former backup QB, is one of the midday hosts), but the morning and afternoon drive-time shows are actually pretty critical of the Patriots when they should be. 

26 minutes ago, GoPats said:

WEEI used to basically be the only sports talk station in Boston. (There were others but EEI was by far the most popular.)  

In 2009, a second (FM) station - 98.5 The Sports Hub - started up. Since then, they've regularly beaten WEEI in ratings at all times of day. Pretty handily in most ratings periods. I don't really know anyone who listens to EEI anymore... 

98.5 has some homerism (Scott Zolak, former backup QB, is one of the midday hosts), but the morning and afternoon drive-time shows are actually pretty critical of the Patriots when they should be. 

Wasn't one of these guys the one who said on television that Goodell should be murdered?

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The biggest Boston radio show is Felger and Mazz on the Sports Hub. Constantly criticize the Patriots and took the NFL's side on deflategate. 

Biggest Boston Sports columnist is Dan Shaugnessy. Pretty much hates the Patriots and resents them for not being the Red Sox. 

It's not a Boston thing. 

WEEI is largely regarded as the trashy homer station. Don't even know why Marshall went on it to be honest. There's more viewed and better respected stations in the city he could have went on. Somebody must have known somebody to get that.

The show he went on is even a step below Barstool which is all in on the Patriots. 

6 hours ago, bababooey said:

They aren't liked. They cater to homers and try to be as controversial as possible knowing the few people that listen won't care as long as they suck up to the Patriots. 

5 hours ago, GoPats said:

Thanks for clarifying.  It's hard for an outsider to distinguish what the media does put out because of the media we are fed here.

It did bother me that after Brandon Marshall had left the show the 2 radio hosts keep bringing up Bipolar nonsense to rationale their ridiculous line of questioning. They claim Marshall is living in the past, but yet they continue to ask him about the Jets & not the Giants his current team. 

Who cares how often NE beat the Jets? Yes, every fan knows Brady is supremely talented & a first ballad HOFer. When your guest asks you nicely to stop with a line of questions you are supposed to segway into something else. 

I respect the NE fans I have come to know on here & I don't think all Boston broadcasters are self absorbed fools at all. Just those 2 guys. I wonder if anybody above them who runs the show talked to those 2 & asks them how they thought they conducted themselves in the interview? 

Look, I've been known to cross lines myself, but I would like to know say within 48 hours if those 2 gentlemen still stand by what they did. Brandon was very polite & respectful. Calm & cool under unsettling circumstances.

GO BIG BLUE in 2017 baby! 

18 hours ago, bababooey said:

Yeah definitely, that's the whole northeast. NY Times actually ran an article just last week saying how conservatives have a home at WFAN (the NY radio station from last night's 30 for 30). I don't listen every day, but listen enough to know that I don't think it's necessarily true, it's just a place to go where politics isn't injected unless it becomes the story (Kaepernick).

The morning show today focused on last night's 30 for 30 but the mid day show (which I listened to most of) didn't mention this incident, considering Marshall is/was a NY athlete I was surprised. Both sides should just keep the politics to themselves behind the mic. We use sports to avoid that considering the current divide.

These guys sound like jerks (sorry). I think Marshall handled it well.

I am sorry that I missed the "30 for 30" on Mike and the Mad Dog. I was a long-time listener of the show and of most of the shows on WFAN, since 1989 or so. The show was very entertaining. I called in a few times and spoke with them on air. When clients started to tell me that they heard me on the radio, I stopped calling in altogether. haha

I always favored Mike because he was more knowledgeable, but I have not found his show as entertaining without Russo. The only host on WFAN that I regularly listen to now is Richard Neer on Saturday mornings. (I am listening now. :)) I set my alarm for 6:05 AM every Saturday so that I don't miss Richard. I like that he does not yell, does not engahe in sensationalism,  and sticks to sports most of the time.

I never thought the shows on WFAN got too political or that the hosts were overly conservative. It may have changed. (I hear Christie might replace Mike :scratch:.)  I don't have the chance to listen to the weekday shows anymore. When I do, I like Joe and Evan. I now listen to ESPN radio more than WFAN. I listen to Mike & Mike every morning as I get ready for work. 

26 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I am sorry that I missed the "30 for 30" on Mike and the Mad Dog. I was a long-time listener of the show and of most of the shows on WFAN, since 1989 or so. The show was very entertaining. I called in a few times and spoke with them on air. When clients started to tell me that they heard me on the radio, I stopped calling in altogether. haha

I always favored Mike because he was more knowledgeable, but I have not found his show as entertaining without Russo. The only host on WFAN that I regularly listen to now is Richard Neer on Saturday mornings. (I am listening now. :)) I set my alarm for 6:05 AM every Saturday so that I don't miss Richard. I like that he does not yell, is not sensationalistic, and sticks to sports most of the time.

I never thought the shows on WFAN got too political or that the hosts were overly conservative. It may have changed. (I hear Christie might replace Mike :scratch:.)  I don't have the chance to listen to the weekday shows anymore. When I do, I like Joe and Evan. I now listen to ESPN radio more than WFAN. I listen to Mike & Mike every morning as I get ready for work. 

I called in to the Mike Francesa show after Game 1 of the Pacers/Knicks in 1995. The famous Reggie Miller game where he scored 8 Points in 8 seconds and the Pacers won 107-105. I may have been one of his longest calls because I was on for like 4 or 5 minutes. Normally most radio guys cut calls short to around 2 minutes or so. I remember him and I just debating who had the better team, Pacers or Knicks? Of course he was saying Knicks, I was saying Pacers and we were going back forth to why who was better. That was a fun conversation, really a cool guy IMO.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I called in to the Mike Francesa show after Game 1 of the Pacers/Knicks in 1995. The famous Reggie Miller game where he scored 8 Points in 8 seconds and the Pacers won 107-105. I may have been one of his longest calls because I was on for like 4 or 5 minutes. Normally most radio guys cut calls short to around 2 minutes or so. I remember him and I just debating who had the better team, Pacers or Knicks? Of course he was saying Knicks, I was saying Pacers and we were going back forth to why who was better. That was a fun conversation, really a cool guy IMO.

Nice. I was looking to see if ESPN will re-air the Mike and the Mad Dog "30 for 30". I noticed that they have a "30 for 30" on Reggie Miller against the Knicks in 1995. It is showing at 10:30 am ET today (about 30 min from now). The title is "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The NY Knicks." Maybe you can watch it.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Nice. I was looking to see if ESPN will re-air the Mike and the Mad Dog "30 for 30". I noticed that they have a "30 for 30" on Reggie Miller against the Knicks in 1995. It is showing at 10:30 am ET today (about 30 min from now). The title is "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The NY Knicks." Maybe you can watch it.

Yeah I didn't get a chance to see the Mike and Mad Dog 30 for 30 but I am sure they will show it again. I have seen the Reggie vs Knicks, that was a good one. I never did call his show back after Game 1 but I should've just to rub it in lmao. Pacers ended up winning in 7 games.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I didn't get a chance to see the Mike and Mad Dog 30 for 30 but I am sure they will show it again. I have seen the Reggie vs Knicks, that was a good one. I never did call his show back after Game 1 but I should've just to rub it in lmao. Pacers ended up winning in 7 games.

What made you call in? You must have been on hold for a while. I am surprised Mike told you that he thought the Knicks were better. Usually, he and Chris (Mad Dog) would say the opponents are better seemingly to rile the local fans. 

I hope to watch that "30 for 30" whenever it is shown again. It will bring back a lot of memories. I had a few issues with Mike and Chris sometimes but they would never do what those guys from WEEI did. That was embarrassing. I think Marshall handled it as well as one can. NFL players should refuse to go on their show.

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What made you call in? You must have been on hold for a while. I am surprised Mike told you that he thought the Knicks were better. Usually, he and Chris (Mad Dog) would say the opponents are better seemingly to rile the local fans. 

I hope to watch that "30 for 30" whenever it is shown again. It will bring back a lot of memories. I had a few issues with Mike and Chris sometimes but they would never do what those guys from WEEI did. That was embarrassing. I think Marshall handled it as well as one can. NFL players should refuse to go on their show.

His show was huge in NY and I listened to a bunch of Sports Talk Radio back then. He thought the Knicks would win because the Pacers had never had a history of beating them and the Knicks had HCA. He did give the Pacers huge credit, mainly Reggie so the debate was fun. I just thought the Pacers were due to beat them and had came so close in 1994. Both teams were actually real even and a play here or there could decide any game they played in. The 1994 series went 7 games as well but NY won that one.

4 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Yet another pointless topic about the Patriots on this board....I don't know why you all obsess over them so much since you don't have to deal with them on your team's schedule. 

Yet another response from you about us talking about the patriots.  Why do you obsess do much about our obsession+

On 7/14/2017 at 5:16 PM, bababooey said:

Wasn't one of these guys the one who said on television that Goodell should be murdered?

Something to that effect, yeah. And Callahan and the guy who used to be his co-host (John Dennis) were always getting into trouble for inappropriate and/or *ic comments on-air. Not a fan of those guys at all. I'd rather drive to work in utter silence.

On 7/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, Synthetic said:

Yet another pointless topic about the Patriots on this board....I don't know why you all obsess over them so much since you don't have to deal with them on your team's schedule. 

This is the NFL general. It's also about a Giants player, not a Patriots player.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:13 AM, NFLfan said:

I always favored Mike because he was more knowledgeable, but I have not found his show as entertaining without Russo. The only host on WFAN that I regularly listen to now is Richard Neer on Saturday mornings. (I am listening now. :)) I set my alarm for 6:05 AM every Saturday so that I don't miss Richard. I like that he does not yell, does not engahe in sensationalism,  and sticks to sports most of the time.

They will definitely replay it, and it will hit Netflix soon I am sure.

I love Mike's show, I am sad he will be ending the show at the end of the year. They have a lot of great people at the station but nothing compared to Mike and the Mad Dog.

I don't think Christe should be anywhere near the radio. It's a complete joke that he is, he still has a job! Also, he doesn't live and breathe it like the other guys. Just two weeks ago Mike in Montclair called him a fat butt. I don't know who's gonna replace Mike but I don't think it's him.

I like Joe and Evan as well. I am SO mad because they were broadcasting from Bobby Valentine's new restaurant this past Friday which is right near me. I am never busy in July and of course I had something I had to get done by the end of the day so I couldn't go. I'm a Howard Stern morning/Joe and Evan mid morning/Mike Francesa afternoon person myself. BTW if you have a chance to check out Bobby V's, it is the most insane sports bar I've ever been to. It just reopened this past week in the new location, it's insane.

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

Something to that effect, yeah. And Callahan and the guy who used to be his co-host (John Dennis) were always getting into trouble for inappropriate and/or *ic comments on-air. Not a fan of those guys at all. I'd rather drive to work in utter silence.

Gotta get that Sirius subscription! 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, Synthetic said:

This topic is on NFL General. No one is twisting your arm to read or respond to this thread. Not every topic brought up caters to you and your interest.

4 hours ago, King Colt said:

When there is no apparent reason for something it is a "trigger" to insert racism on any subject. When you run out of material in an interview bring up racism, it's an old, old trick still used today.

Yeah, but, these guys opened up with it right out the gate....

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

LOL... did Mrs. GoPats put you up to this? Because she's been nagging me about getting satellite for her car. 

haha

You can definitely get them down if you negotiate on the phone! Also, Howard will be retiring in 3 years then they will have to practically give it away. I have it in the car, on the phone, can log on the computer at work, and now the Amazon Alexa can play it. They just added The Beatles channel in May.

On 7/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, Synthetic said:

no one even mentioned the patriots in this thread until GoPAts brought it up

you might want to work on your reading comprehension because this thread was about a radio show

i didnt even think about the patriots at all when i heard this story

41 minutes ago, bababooey said:

You can definitely get them down if you negotiate on the phone! Also, Howard will be retiring in 3 years then they will have to practically give it away. I have it in the car, on the phone, can log on the computer at work, and now the Amazon Alexa can play it. They just added The Beatles channel in May.

Oh man, then I'll let her call in... she's the shrewd negotiator in the family. :lol:

Thanks for the tip!