Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Very small, minor Andrew Luck update

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Saw this and thought I'd share. Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's pretty close to throwing, and could if he wanted to, but they're just sticking to his schedule/rehab protocol like clockwork.

I think you minimize the importance of that tweet.  To me it reads that everything is right on track.

Doesn't it also coincide with something a little birdie told you earlier in the summer?

Andrew could actually throw is atleast progress. The colts are not gonna rush him even if it means he starts on the pup list. Also take into consideration that the beginning of our schedule is not too difficult.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Andrew could actually throw is atleast progress. The colts are not gonna rush him even if it means he starts on the pup list. Also take into consideration that the beginning of our schedule is not too difficult.

I try...

I really try...

But what does the start of the schedule have to do with anything?  As it relates to Luck, that plays no role in the team's decision making - nor should it.  If he is capable of being on the field September 10th, he will be.  If he can't he won't be.  That would not change if they were playing the Pats or the Rams. 

I think this is a case of us being REALLY careful with his rehab. I get it though, that's a lot of money tied up and he's literally our future.

They've left the fans and media in the dark with this injury though.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, while I'm hopeful this season will result in 12-4, this team is in no position to be thinking less of anyone. Could easily start this season 0-2 & wouldn't be surprised if it happens 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

It is good news to me. Getting the stability back is more important long term. If I was a Panther fan, I would be a little concerned with how quick Cam started throwing. He is becoming known as a guy who rushes back from injury too quickly IMO. I prefer the patient route the Colts are taking.

25 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, while I'm hopeful this season will result in 12-4, this team is in no position to be thinking less of anyone. Could easily start this season 0-2 & wouldn't be surprised if it happens 

Not trying to discredit a team or lucks importance. More that the colts could be looking more long term

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I agree let him rest we need him for the stretch run.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

0-2 again, Chuck will probably be shown the door.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

I'm being optimistic. Pagano said a lot at the end of the season and at the start of OTAs about making adjustments, improving the coaching approach, etc. And then hopefully with Ballard's influence, some adjustments are made on offense to make the attack a little more efficient.

If -- IF -- those things happen, we should be able to avoid the slow start that has become customary over the last three years. 

Of course, if Luck misses any time at the beginning of the season, all bets are off. I think, at this point, we're all assuming he's on the field Week 1. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm being optimistic. Pagano said a lot at the end of the season and at the start of OTAs about making adjustments, improving the coaching approach, etc. And then hopefully with Ballard's influence, some adjustments are made on offense to make the attack a little more efficient.

If -- IF -- those things happen, we should be able to avoid the slow start that has become customary over the last three years. 

Of course, if Luck misses any time at the beginning of the season, all bets are off. I think, at this point, we're all assuming he's on the field Week 1. 

i concur

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We cant take any win for granted after the way the last 2 seasons went. + the way we always start is usually bad too = 0-2's. I hope Andrew is on the field for opening day, if not we could very well lose in LA.

We could very well lose to LA even if Luck is playing. 

Team is 1-4 in opening days. And the Rams got a good defense and a few pieces of offense. Even if Goff doesn't show anything, they could still be trouble for the Colts. 

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I agree let him rest we need him for the stretch run.

Stretch run won't matter if we start 2-4 again.

If Luck can play, he's gotta play. You can't afford to lose games in this league. 1 or 2 wins could seriously be the difference between making the playoffs and looking for a new coach next off season.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Pagano always talks about making adjustments after every loss and none are made. He's a big liar. It's not even different things that go wrong in different games, it's the exact same things, which tells us Pagano is full of it, especially on the offensive side with the slow starts where Luck is talented enough that there's no excuse for it. At least there's a reason for the defense, and they start off well a lot and just fade away due to being overmatched.

52 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Pagano always talks about making adjustments after every loss and none are made. He's a big liar. It's not even different things that go wrong in different games, it's the exact same things, which tells us Pagano is full of it, especially on the offensive side with the slow starts where Luck is talented enough that there's no excuse for it. At least there's a reason for the defense, and they start off well a lot and just fade away due to being overmatched.

If I remember right, Luck started games slow at Stanford. It just might be in his DNA.

5 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

If I remember right, Luck started games slow at Stanford. It just might be in his DNA.

If there's a joke here, I'm sorry I'm missing it lol. I didn't get to see much of him in Stanford so I don't have a real opinion on that. Lets just hope he reverts back to his 2014 form when healthy (hopefully that's soon). If he plays like the last two years for the remainder of his career, we're toast as far as SB chances go.

10 hours ago, The Fish said:

Sky is falling. Trade him now!

Posts like this always crack me up #1 because I know you are being sarcastic & #2 It's not even August yet. 

I get what your driving at though Fish. NFL analysts love to hit the panic button in the offseason before training camp for ratings. It always irritates me when NFL Total Access does a segment on social media amongst players in the league. Who Cares? I know; I know. Some fans enjoy that nonsense. Me? Not so much. 

5 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just out of curiosity how did this turn into a bash Pagano thread?

7 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Can we just sign Johnny Manziel and RGIII now? According to some analysts those QB's are better than Andrew anyway.

It is funny how some pundits in sports thought that INDY had a difficult choice to make between Luck & RG3 now isn't it? Now, don't get it twisted, I not rooting for any player to get hurt. But, even if Andrew wasn't the top QB prospect in 2012, every horseshoe fan knew we needed a tall field general with a solid, thick frame which left the Baylor man completely out in the cold for us. 

It's also ironic that INDY avoided another QB catastrophe in Ryan Leaf also. Both QBs who weren't drafted by INDY plummeted pretty darn fast like dropping a boulder in the ocean. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

It is funny how some pundits in sports thought that INDY had a difficult choice to make between Luck & RG3 now isn't it? Now, don't get it twisted, I not rooting for any player to get hurt. But, even if Andrew wasn't the top QB prospect in 2012, every horseshoe fan knew we needed a tall field general with a solid, thick frame which left the Baylor man completely out in the cold for us. 

I remember the 2014 draft where Merril Hoge and Skip Bayless were arguing over Johnny Manziel. Skip was saying Manziel should be the 1st overall pick, and Merill was destroying him in explaining why Manziel should be a 6th round project pick. We learned who was right, lol! At least Skip got a hug from Manziel though. :) 

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity how did this turn into a bash Pagano thread?

Someone mentioned we could lose the first few games due to maybe Luck not playing or Luck being "rusty". Then some other dude pointed out that an 0-2 start could make Irsay disappointed enough to fire him. Not very hard to read the thread and discern that info lol...

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I remember the 2014 draft where Merril Hoge and Skip Bayless were arguing over Johnny Manziel. Skip was saying Manziel should be the 1st overall pick, and Merill was destroying him in explaining why Manziel should be a 6th round project pick. We learned who was right, lol! At least Skip got a hug from Manziel though. :) 

You're exactly right Jared. I remember that conversation between Skip & Merrill like it was yesterday. It was great. Hoge was looking at Bayless like he was bleeping crazy & he was. On the 1 hand, I admired Skip's devotion to Johnny Football, but at a certain point bravery becomes total lunacy. Skip did the same thing with RG3 & Tebow too & where are those guys now? Not playing football anywhere. 

I remember Merrill debating with Tim Hasselbeck over Tebow's ability to play ball in this league after the Broncos sent him to the NY Jets & Hoge looked like he was able to strangle Tim for thinking Tebow would be in the league longterm. It was priceless man. Like dude, I like you as an ESPN colleague, but don't make me hurt you. Because I'm this close to doing just that.:lol:

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

You're exactly right Jared. I remember that conversation between Skip & Merrill like it was yesterday. It was great. Hoge was looking at Bayless like he was bleeping crazy & he was. On the 1 hand, I admired Skip's devotion to Johnny Football, but at a certain point bravery becomes total lunacy. Skip did the same thing with RG3 & Tebow too & where are those guys now? Not playing football anywhere. 

I remember Merrill debating with Tim Hasselbeck over Tebow's ability to play ball in this league after the Broncos sent him to the NY Jets & Hoge looked like he was able to strangle Tim for thinking Tebow would be in the league longterm. It was priceless man. Like dude, I like you as an ESPN colleague, but don't make me hurt you. Because I'm this close to doing just that.:lol:

Was a lot of fun watching that! Tim Hasselback is on Fantasy Football now, I guess he was using Tim Tebow on his ESPN Fantasy team that year lol! Gotta defend the QB that brought you there! :) Merril Hoge is the man, and very intelligent. He also predicted that Khalil Mack would be the top guy out of that draft over Clowney, and it's looking pretty smart (though Clowney improved greatly last year).

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At least there's a reason for the defense, and they start off well a lot and just fade away due to being overmatched.

I respect you so much for saying that Jared. When our level of competition raises their sharpness in the playoffs, we seem to falter to be kind & the buck stops directly at Pagano's doorstep. It just does. 

I wish I was wrong, but I'm not & neither are you Jared. I'm not rooting for his failure. Previous seasons dictate familiar outcomes & I don't expect a miraculous turnaround. That's not gonna happen as you know. 

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Was a lot of fun watching that! Tim Hasselback is on Fantasy Football now, I guess he was using Tim Tebow on his ESPN Fantasy team that year lol! Gotta defend the QB that brought you there! :) Merril Hoge is the man, and very intelligent. He also predicted that Khalil Mack would be the top guy out of that draft over Clowney, and it's looking pretty smart (though Clowney improved greatly last year).

Merrill does know his football. He's excellent at breaking down plays & discussing why a play worked or failed based on footwork, edge containment, hitting the hole, & blocking. Whatever that man says 90% of the time he's accurate. Merrill Hoge, Jeff Saturday, & Mark Schlereth are the only ESPN analysts who know what the hades they're talking about IMO. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I respect you so much for saying that Jared. When our level of competition raises their sharpness in the playoffs, we seem to falter to be kind & the buck stops directly at Pagano's doorstep. It just does. 

I wish I was wrong, but I'm not & neither are you Jared. I'm not rooting for his failure. Previous seasons dictate familiar outcomes & I don't expect a miraculous turnaround. That's not gonna happen as you know. 

The thing that scares me, a lot of people praise Pagano's record with QB's other than Luck and say how good of a job he's done. The scary alternative to this is that he may not be able to get much more out of Luck than a run of the mill QB. I think Luck is capable of much more, but based on Pagano and Chud's playcalling, I don't think it favors Luck very well, and any average QB that does fit the system can do just as good as Luck because it's not specialized towards Luck's abilities. After Luck got injured, and the team starting falling apart (players left and lots of earlier draft picks busted under Grigson), he couldn't do the same things he could before. In Arians and Pep's system, he was an elite QB, under Chud's System throwing to Hilton exclusively, it exposes him and the team (even when Hilton is the league's leading receiver). Take Hilton out, and you take Luck out. Luck needs to be healthy, and we need more diversity in our playcalling for me to have faith in Pagano and Chud this year. We also need some hits from our rookie draft class and FA's.

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Merrill Hoge, Jeff Saturday, & Mark Schlereth are the only ESPN analysts who know what the hades they're talking about IMO. 

Just to be clear, I like Herm Edwards & Bill Polian too, but I associate them with locker room chemistry, coaching, & front office acquisitions--A different skill set then smash mouth football. 

The weird thing about Tebow is that I liked the kid's humility & work ethic, but Skip Bayless's devotion to him as a QB soured me on him. I took my frustrations out on the wrong person due to all that 1 great season in Denver & I still don't know how Tebow beat the Steelers in the Playoffs either. LOL! 

31 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The thing that scares me, a lot of people praise Pagano's record with QB's other than Luck and say how good of a job he's done. The scary alternative to this is that he may not be able to get much more out of Luck than a run of the mill QB. I think Luck is capable of much more, but based on Pagano and Chud's playcalling, I don't think it favors Luck very well, and any average QB that does fit the system can do just as good as Luck because it's not specialized towards Luck's abilities. After Luck got injured, and the team starting falling apart (players left and lots of earlier draft picks busted under Grigson), he couldn't do the same things he could before. In Arians and Pep's system, he was an elite QB, under Chud's System throwing to Hilton exclusively, it exposes him and the team (even when Hilton is the league's leading receiver). Take Hilton out, and you take Luck out. Luck needs to be healthy, and we need more diversity in our playcalling for me to have faith in Pagano and Chud this year. We also need some hits from our rookie draft class and FA's.

You make several good points. Spreading the ball around to more then TY makes sense. I think part of it is that Luck is used to Hilton as his security blanket ever since Reggie Wayne retired. It's a concern of drops I suspect, but he's starting to trust Moncrief more so that helps. 

My big concern is say we release Pagano after this yr & Joe Philbin takes over as HC. Joe's a solid OL coach & he needs to stay right where he is. I agree that Chud needs to display more variety in his play calling with 3 step drops, faster releases, & shorter slant routes to get into a rhythm quicker. Pagano likes to run early too much. We need to sling it early to open up the ground game later not vice versa to me. I almost wish HOF TE Shannon Sharpe could come give our offense a pep talk. I love Shannon. A trash talker who produced TDs consistently & know how to stay health & fit all yr long. Plus, I loved his drive to win & how he always got into the DB's head covering him. Health, toughness, & winning late in the yr Sharpe can give us keen insights into all that. He's a great speaker/motivator too. He's the only reason I watch Undisputed on FS1 everyday. 

12 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

You make several good points. Spreading the ball around to more then TY makes sense. I think part of it is that Luck is used to Hilton as his security blanket ever since Reggie Wayne retired. It's a concern of drops I suspect, but he's starting to trust Moncrief more so that helps. 

My big concern is say we release Pagano after this yr & Joe Philbin takes over as HC. Joe's a solid OL coach & he needs to stay right where he is. I agree that Chud needs to display more variety in his play calling with 3 step drops, faster releases, & shorter slant routes to get into a rhythm quicker. Pagano likes to run early too much. We need to sling it early to open up the ground game later not vice versa to me. I almost wish HOF TE Shannon Sharpe could come give our offense a pep talk. I love Shannon. A trash talker who produced TDs consistently & know how to stay health & fit all yr long. Plus, I loved his drive to win & how he always got into the DB's head covering him. Health, toughness, & winning late in the yr Sharpe can give us keen insights into all that. He's a great speaker/motivator too. He's the only reason I watch Undisputed on FS1 everyday. 

I'm almost positive if we released Pagano as coach at the end of the year, Ballard would bring in Dave Toub as coach and we'd probably retain Joe Philbin as OL Coach. It is consistent with the rumors that are going on, and Philbin is too good at his current job to bring him up to HC where he'd likely struggle. We'd obviously have to fire Chud as well, and this is where I'm not as knowledgeable on who the candidates are that we could bring in as the Offensive Coordinator. I'm definitely going to be watching this year, but even if Luck is healthy, we have to get out of the same old habits, and that starts with the playcalling. Someone like Shannon Sharpe would be great, but I don't think he'd come here. I think Ray Lewis would be fantastic, and we could possibly have him make an impact in the locker room if he has any friendships with Pagano, though he may not do it because of loyalty to the Ravens.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm almost positive if we released Pagano as coach at the end of the year, Ballard would bring in Dave Toub as coach and we'd probably retain Joe Philbin as OL Coach. It is consistent with the rumors that are going on, and Philbin is too good at his current job to bring him up to HC where he'd likely struggle. We'd obviously have to fire Chud as well, and this is where I'm not as knowledgeable on who the candidates are that we could bring in as the Offensive Coordinator. I'm definitely going to be watching this year, but even if Luck is healthy, we have to get out of the same old habits, and that starts with the playcalling. Someone like Shannon Sharpe would be great, but I don't think he'd come here. I think Ray Lewis would be fantastic, and we could possibly have him make an impact in the locker room if he has any friendships with Pagano, though he may not due it because of loyalty to the Ravens.

I'd be cool with that. John Harbaugh was the Special Teams Coach in Philly before Baltimore hired him & he went on to win a SB. Hades even Polian talked about how hiring special teams coaches for HC positions was a good idea since ST guys are well versed in down & distance dynamics, which plays into field position, & clock management as well given what quarter your team is in, weather conditions, & when to symbolically step on your adversary's throat. That's what I wanna see more of: killer instinct or calculated risks. 

So, you wanna have Ray Rice give INDY the ticked off for greatness speech? I'm fine with that. LOL! Shannon Sharpe does like Luck though. I love #84 because he just oozes Championship football & he's wicked smart. He's refreshingly honest & funny as hades with his family expressions. My favorite slogan of his is this: "I see better than I hear." Translation: You keep telling me 1 thing, but my eyes reveal a much different story. He's highlighting hypocrisy in other words. You can't pull the wool over Shannon's eyes. He knows when he's being lied to or his intelligence is being insulted on purpose. He knows what it takes to win rings plural. Fitness, putting in long hours, demanding excellence from everyone around you; teammates not interested in stats or getting personal credit for wins on the field; & he didn't work his tail off all yr to lose Championships. Failure is not an option. 

I could see us debating letting Chud go after this yr perhaps, but I'm not sure who would fill that vacancy either to be honest with ya. This is a huge show me what you got yr for Luck, Pagano, & Chud like you say. What worries me to is if INDY does win our division & say wins 2 playoffs games. There's a danger in misreading the tea leaves & giving Chuck another extension based off a fluke. Rewarding a coach is fine once they prove that we can hang with the big dogs not before. That's another reservation of mine. Giving him a muti-year deal based on limited success.