Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2018 Cap Situation And Bright Future.

Dark Superman

According to Over The Cap the Colts will have about $48 million in cap space heading into next off-season.

Hopefully, the Colts can re-sign these three men.

1. Vontae Davis

2. Donte Moncrief

3. Jack Mewhort.

I like the position the Colts will be in heading into their second season with new GM Chris Ballard. If the Colts can bring back these three men, hit on their 2018 draft and perhaps 1-2 game changing free agents. I think the Colts can perhaps make a legit run deep into the playoffs.

Having this amount of cap space and a new GM is something that gives me hope towards our future. Andrew Luck is locked up long term, and I believe we will have a new Coach heading into the 2018 season.

Thoughts?

While I agree with your study of the cap situation calling for a new head coach is too pre mature. I know it's a popular subject to rag on Pagano in this forum but this forum don't determine who hires and fires head coaches.

IMO if Pagano does a good job this up coming season he will not be fired.

I respect your opinion CC1.

But I do believe Ballard will intend on bringing in 'his guy' to coach the Colts beyond the 2017 season. I don't believe Pagano is in the Colts future plans.

I would be shocked if the Colts kept him beyond this next season.

IMO. Pagano and Grigson both should of been gone already.. and anything short of winning the AFC South Championship and at least one playoff win.. will result in the termination of Pagano.

I'm 99.9% sure the Colts will move on from Pagano after this season.

You're 99.9% sure we won't win the south and a playoff game this year?... 

The south is WIDE OPEN at the moment. We could easily win it and once you're in the dance, you never know how far you'll go.

Im not saying we definitely will win the south, but thats a very pessimistic outlook from you sir.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I agree with your study of the cap situation calling for a new head coach is too pre mature. I know it's a popular subject to rag on Pagano in this forum but this forum don't determine who hires and fires head coaches.

IMO if Pagano does a good job this up coming season he will not be fired.

I have to agree with you here CC1.  It was a nice analysis of the cap situation but the sure removal of the coach is far from being guaranteed.  If he does a good job with this team, and on paper this team looks better than last years, he will be fine.  In fact if he has a strong season the likelihood of him being our coach for a long time is pretty high IMO.  Especially if CK21 is right on his Ifs.  

The thing is with the current situation with Pagano & the reports of the strife between coach & GM that existed under Grigsons tutelage, I feel as if we as fans are left with many question marks going into this next season regarding the coaching... Add in the infusion of defensive talent, albeit the uncertainty of how those additions will perform, it'll be interesting to see if Pagano can make some strides and get the defensive unit more competitive...

Add to that maybe some better playcalling from the OC & all of a sudden the coaching staff may not look so horrible...

Or something...

10 hours ago, Colt-King21 said:

According to Over The Cap the Colts will have about $48 million in cap space heading into next off-season.

Hopefully, the Colts can re-sign these three men.

1. Vontae Davis

2. Donte Moncrief

3. Jack Mewhort.

I like the position the Colts will be in heading into their second season with new GM Chris Ballard. If the Colts can bring back these three men, hit on their 2018 draft and perhaps 1-2 game changing free agents. I think the Colts can perhaps make a legit run deep into the playoffs.

Having this amount of cap space and a new GM is something that gives me hope towards our future. Andrew Luck is locked up long term, and I believe we will have a new Coach heading into the 2018 season.

Thoughts?

If all 3 of the guys you mention have decent seasons, then I think Moncrief is the clear # 1 priority.  In your list I think Mewhort would be 2nd and that is shaky.  I believe 2017 will be Davis' last in Indy.  

I say Mewhort is shaky because there are concerns about his knees and I can see them going cheaper at RG rather offering a 2nd (expensive) contract.  And Davis was OK last year but not great by any stretch.  Combine that with the Colts' wish to get younger, it is hard to see them paying Davis again, even on a short-term deal.

4 hours ago, Colt-King21 said:

I respect your opinion CC1. But I do believe Ballard will intend on bringing in 'his guy' to coach the Colts beyond the 2017 season. I don't believe Pagano is in the Colts future plans.

I think Ballard does not have the leverage to decide the faith of Pagano. Neither did Grigson ... otherwise he would have fired Pagano last year, I have not doubt about that. Polian did have full control, so I assume Irsay changed his mind in 2011, and keeps some control over personal decisions ever since.

So, whatever will happen to Pagano next year, it will be Irsay who will make the decision. And, I think Ballard is OK with that. He'd never have taken the job if he wasn't.

Regarding 2018 cap space, I think it will be significantly more than 48 million. We don't know how much the cap will increase, but a safe assumption is it will increase at least 5 percent (8-10 millions at least), and there will be some notable cap rollover from this year, because we are well under the cap atm.

4 hours ago, Colt-King21 said:

I respect your opinion CC1.

But I do believe Ballard will intend on bringing in 'his guy' to coach the Colts beyond the 2017 season. I don't believe Pagano is in the Colts future plans.

I would be shocked if the Colts kept him beyond this next season.

IMO. Pagano and Grigson both should of been gone already.. and anything short of winning the AFC South Championship and at least one playoff win.. will result in the termination of Pagano.

I'm 99.9% sure the Colts will move on from Pagano after this season.

While I respect your point of view and understand it IMO the firing of Pagano is way too pre mature to call at this time of year.

Irsay has already said the teams record would not be the determining factor in the head coaching position.

To assume Ballard wants his own man in place over Pagano is not known. So far there is no indication that Ballard has a problem with Pagano. Matter of fact Ballard said he thought Pagano was a fine coach and was looking forward working with him. While this talk may be all GMs - coach speak to assume that is all it is can't be called at this time.

If the Colts play as we all hope it would be very hard for Irsay-Ballard to fire Pagano who has yet to have a losing record.

Changing the head coach is not an easy thing to do especially if he does a fine job.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

You're 99.9% sure we won't win the south and a playoff game this year?... 

The south is WIDE OPEN at the moment. We could easily win it and once you're in the dance, you never know how far you'll go.

Im not saying we definitely will win the south, but thats a very pessimistic outlook from you sir.

Well, if I recall correctly, Irsay mentioned - and I'm paraphrasing intent here as well - how just simply winning the south (maybe even a playoff game, though I don't think he mentioned that part), will be considered, but not necessarily be the stamp of approval that will save Pagano's career.  I thought I remember thinking that we had to be competitive with good teams as well, like if we were blown out by the Pats in round 2 of the playoffs, that Pagano's job wasn't so surely secure.

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

If all 3 of the guys you mention have decent seasons, then I think Moncrief is the clear # 1 priority.  In you list I think Mewhort would be 2nd and that is shaky.  I believe 2017 will be Davis' last in Indy.  

I say Mewhort is shaky because there are concerns about his knees and I can see them going cheaper at RG rather offering a 2nd (expensive) contract.  And Davis was OK last year but not great by any stretch.  Combine that with the Colts' wish to get younger, it is hard to see them paying Davis again, even on a short-term deal.

I believe Davis wasn't 100% healthy last season. It's hard to be great when you play injured. If he plays good this season I think he will be re signed. I know the youth movement is happening but a few vets needs to be on the roster.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I believe Davis wasn't 100% healthy last season. It's hard to be great when you play injured. If he plays good this season I think he will be re signed. I know the youth movement is happening but a few vets needs to be on the roster.

The $64,000 question - was his play last year injury related or an overall decline.  I guess we will find out this season.  But I just believe it won't matter to resigning him in 2018.  

I'[m with the crowd that thinks this will be Davis' last year with the team.

If he has as good a year as we want Vonte to have,  then he'll get offers that are multi-year from other teams.

I don't think the Colts want to give Vonte, who will be 30 in 2018 a multi-year contract.     Maybe we'd bring him back on a 1-year deal,  but I don't see him agreeing to that.

So,  I think we make a token offer which he will decline....   and then we'll replace Vonte with our first orund draft pick in the 2018 draft.      So we'll have two young corners to start fresh....

And while I'd like to bring Mewhort back,  the prices for guards have sky-rocketed in the last few seasons.    Not sure the Colts want to pay that kind of money for a guard?       Maybe.

But I believe we'd like to bring back Donte, so I think he'll have a very good year and then the question becomes how much will he want.     I don't think he's a $10 Mill guy.    So how high will the Colts be willing to spend?

Lots of interesting questions in this thread......

Davis did have a down season last year, and injuries I'm sure played a part in that.  Also having zero pass rush didn't help anybody in the secondary.  I don't care how great of a CB you are, you can't be expected to cover a WR for forever, especially with all the various contact penalties that are so easy to get flagged for these days.

If the Colts can muster some pressure on the QB that will help Davis and our young secondary out tremendously.

As NCF mentioned, I think it will be more of an age/contract length issue and not a production issue that keeps Vontae from being re-signed, which is a bummer, because he's been the best CB we've had here in years.

While I am in no way claiming that Davis is Revis, but Revis is still able to play...just not as well.   As long as a CB has adequate speed, their craftiness can overcome their defficiences at times.  I hope we keep him if he's healthy. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'[m with the crowd that thinks this will be Davis' last year with the team.

If he has as good a year as we want Vonte to have,  then he'll get offers that are multi-year from other teams.

I don't think the Colts want to give Vonte, who will be 30 in 2018 a multi-year contract.     Maybe we'd bring him back on a 1-year deal,  but I don't see him agreeing to that.

So,  I think we make a token offer which he will decline....   and then we'll replace Vonte with our first orund draft pick in the 2018 draft.      So we'll have two young corners to start fresh....

And while I'd like to bring Mewhort back,  the prices for guards have sky-rocketed in the last few seasons.    Not sure the Colts want to pay that kind of money for a guard?       Maybe.

But I believe we'd like to bring back Donte, so I think he'll have a very good year and then the question becomes how much will he want.     I don't think he's a $10 Mill guy.    So how high will the Colts be willing to spend?

Lots of interesting questions in this thread......

We share the same brain which is obviously chock full of football brilliance.  

Now if we can get others to understand the wealth of knowledge that can be gleaned from our thought-provoking input, we would educate the masses.  

But sadly...

11 hours ago, Colt-King21 said:

?

OTC shows the Colts with a projected $61m heading into the 2018 offseason. That's without accounting for any transactions between now and then, and it doesn't count any potential cap rollover, which will probably be $5-10m. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/indianapolis-colts/

I completely disagree about this being Davis' last year as a Colt.  I actually think of him as a potential franchise tag option going into next year.  Especially if he plays well as our #1 CB this year.  I don't see us using it on Mewhort or Moncrief, so why not Davis?  I don't see him declining to the point where he's not worth having around.  The franchise tag for CB next year would probably be around $14.5M (which is about $4m over his cap hit for this year).

The Colts roster is still in the making, Ballard does not have the luxury to let players go just because their market price is high or they are "old". If the Colts had a complete, deep roster, full with young, developing players who could step up and take the starting role, that would be a different story. But that's not the case. Ballard will need next years draft to address already existing needs: a premier pass rusher, a stud off ball LB, probably a (strong) safety, if Geathers neck won't recover. And then we will need another TE, an RB, a depth OL even if Mewhort stays, another CB even if Davis stays, etc. Thats already more than a full draft can provide. 

So, assuming they will play well, I think all 3 guys will stay. Actually, I think there will be 1 or 2 of them, who will resign before the end of the season. That's what both sides are interested in. The player gets his contract, and the franchise can lock him up a bit below market price.

On 7/10/2017 at 11:48 AM, jskinnz said:

We share the same brain which is obviously chock full of football brilliance.  

Now if we can get others to understand the wealth of knowledge that can be gleaned from our thought-provoking input, we would educate the masses.  

But sadly...

If we share the same brain (and I think we do...)   then my sincere apologies!      At 60, mine is not working quite as well as it used to,  and I foolishly did not buy the extended warranty!       I'm constantly having to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and try to reboot!         Oh, to be 30 years younger when I was in my prime!

Perhaps you have the younger model...   the new and improved model.      Yours seems to work quite well!

Thanks for the kind words....   as always,  right back at ya...

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we share the same brain (and I think we do...)   then my sincere apologies!      At 60, mine is not working quite as well as it used to,  and I foolishly did not buy the extended warranty!       I'm constantly having to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and try to reboot!         Oh, to be 30 years younger when I was in my prime!

Perhaps you have the younger model...   the new and improved model.      Yours seems to work quite well!

Thanks for the kind words....   as always,  right back at ya...

I have milestone b-day early next year - a decade shy of yours so while technically a newer model, I can say with certainty it is not fully functioning.  My bride of nearly 21 years and I got a very late start on parenting and now have a daughter who's 4 and a son who's 2. The sleep deprivation and just generally conversing with kids that age have turned my mind to mush. They do however have a tendency to keep you young so I have hope.

On 7/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, jskinnz said:

If all 3 of the guys you mention have decent seasons, then I think Moncrief is the clear # 1 priority.  In your list I think Mewhort would be 2nd and that is shaky.  I believe 2017 will be Davis' last in Indy.  

Mewhort plays LG

With regard to Pagano's future, I remember when it was first announced he was coming here, many were excited as they thought Pagano was a contributor to the defensive success in Baltimore. He was by the way. Never since he has been here has the defensive side of the ball gotten the attention it deserves from the GM.  Now that Mr. Ballard has given him some tools, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this new talent. I bet they'll play good D. I should stipulate that once in awhile I'm wrong.