Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre-Season Schedules Could Be Better

King Colt

I wish the NFL would try one season where pre-season game are inner conference games. I know all the reasons they are set like they are but the games to me would draw a lot more attention and viewers. It would among other things give fans more to chat about when the regular season starts. 

Pre-seasons are boring, compared to the regular season because the pre-season is for coaches.  They do not game plan against an opponent so much as they script plays to determine a players ability to execute and demonstrate certain skills. O and D are vanilla, and its is the execution, not always results, that coaches look at.  A lot of players are going to have their Microsoft Surface Pro tablet go dark, and be asked to see the HC before September 2.  What was on them was not the full playbook,  Those left on the 53 man roster get the full playbook (as well as vets certain to make the team).

Then comes the game planning, and installing (I guess these will be 'uploading') the specific plays for both the O and D, respectively, for each weeks particular opponent.

Pre season, by and large, do not have the personnel nor specific game plans and thus boring to fans.  But coaches can go 0 - 4 in pre season and not be upset if their specific goals were met each game

How many times does a team that goes 4 - 0 in pre-season flop?  how many times does a pre-season team that went 0 - 4 perform quite well in the regular season?

Just like so many here do for the draft now (scouring players and their potential), those on the 90 man have to be evaluated for 'doing their job' , not the win / loss column.  This comes during pre-season games. Those that do well, (especially those that are multifaceted and can do a few things well, like special teams and their position, etc..) have the upper hand making the roster, others may well make the practice squad, while the rest have their contracts terminated in some fashion and hit waivers.

So it doesn't really matter to me that intra-division pre-season games aren't played.  They aren't indicative of the future anyway, based upon what pre-season is all about.

Pre-season is what it is, but we as fans think 3 games is sufficient, but coaches love the (meaningless to us) 4th game for final roster cut determination.

37 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I want to go to two pre-season games...and 18 regular season games...

With controlled two-team scrimmages, I dont think more than one or two actual pre-season games are necessary

I think that is what owners want too.   Anything to increase tjhe money, the owners will be for.

Coaches would likely prefer going to two pre-season games, and stick to 16 regular season games, IF... big if, the CBA was changed to be less restrictive about the amount of padded practice, and an increased number of 'two-a-days'.  (The major impact of the last CBA negotiation was to legislate the reduction of practice time and practice intensity. It was a priority for the union.)

Players want Article 46 removed (and an independent arbitrator) or changed radically, and more % of the total general funds, and no increase in practice (availability, time, or pads / concessions

Who will get their way in 2021? 

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:19 AM, jvan1973 said:

Nothing can make pre-season games more exciting.   I spend the pre-season just hoping to make it out without big time injuries

I agree. I watch it because it's Football but Pre-Season has always been meaningless to me. I guess this year, I will be a little more interested because of Luck's status.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think that is what owners want too.   Anything to increase tjhe money, the owners will be for.

Coaches would likely prefer going to two pre-season games, and stick to 16 regular season games, IF... big if, the CBA was changed to be less restrictive about the amount of padded practice, and an increased number of 'two-a-days'.  (The major impact of the last CBA negotiation was to legislate the reduction of practice time and practice intensity. It was a priority for the union.)

Players want Article 46 removed (and an independent arbitrator) or changed radically, and more % of the total general funds, and no increase in practice (availability, time, or pads / concessions

Who will get their way in 2021? 

If it goes to two pre season games and 18 regular season games the owners make the same amount of money. Pre season tickets cost the same as regular season tickets and the TV money wouldn't change because it's a contracted amount for the season.

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If it goes to two pre season games and 18 regular season games the owners make the same amount of money. Pre season tickets cost the same as regular season tickets and the TV money wouldn't change because it's a contracted amount for the season.

I highly doubt most of that. First. Just because preseason tickets cost the same doesnt mean they sell as well as regular season tickets. 2nd, if thats true about the TV contract, then theres no way the league goes to an 18 game schedule without renegotiating that contract.

23 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So, all pre-season game seats are sold out?  Most of the time, regular season games are, or more than pre-season.  it's not so much ticket prices, tickets sold; and butts in the stands.  This is the 'cash' owners need each and every week.

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

So, all pre-season game seats are sold out?  Most of the time, regular season games are, or more than pre-season.  it's not so much ticket prices, tickets sold; and butts in the stands.  This is the 'cash' owners need each and every week.

All the season ticket holders have paid for their pre season tickets.

I think that most of the rest of the seats are sold to those who want to advertise. There are a few empty seats that are paid for anyway. I know not as much money is made during pre season games but what is sold is still a great deal on money when you put 30 or 40 thousand people in the Oil Can.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:23 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Completely untrue.   Have you ever been to a pre-season game?

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, crazycolt1 said:

The way I understand it, the networks pay a lot more for the regular season especially Thursday, Sunday and Monday night..

Exhibition games aren't on network TV much...most of them are sold to local stations.

That's where they make pre-season money, ticket sales seem inconsistent

That all-league pass TV thing you can but only covers the regular seasn, too, rght?

....Remember when there used to be 6 pre-season games?

Guys were playing themselves into shape....some games were almost local fundraisers for charities..

...and the NFL was promoting itself for the season to come...

Other than the charities, I don't know if there's a need for any of that now

Summer league in the NBA is fun. I have been able to watch the best player of all time in Lonzo Ball and it's been a huge blast to witness the legend before he skyrockets to MJ/Magic/Lebron levels.:FlamingoDancing:

NFL preseason is only cool for like a few drives.......but somehow I sadly can get hooked and then end up cheering for all these backups and feeling stupid. But then whatever it's still a game and can get my juices flowing.

:thmup:

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Summer league in the NBA is fun. I have been able to watch the best player of all time in Lonzo Ball and it's been a huge blast to witness the legend before he skyrockets to MJ/Magic/Lebron levels.:FlamingoDancing:

NFL preseason is only cool for like a few drives.......but somehow I sadly can get hooked and then end up cheering for all these backups and feeling stupid. But then whatever it's still a game and can get my juices flowing.

I rank Lonzo 4th on that list.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

He will never be as great as those guys, that is unrealistic but he I still think he can be Great or Very Good. I know his silly dad says otherwise but that is a different story.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He will never be as great as those guys, that is unrealistic but he I still think he can be Great or Very Good. I know his silly dad says otherwise but that is a different story.

I just like to have fun with it too.........his dad makes it sooooo easy to make jokes. lmao 

I honestly like to watch all these young players. Just sad Fultz got hurt so soon but he will be okay for the season.

9 minutes ago, Jules said:

I just like to have fun with it too.........his dad makes it sooooo easy to make jokes. lmao 

I honestly like to watch all these young players. Just sad Fultz got hurt so soon but he will be okay for the season.

I think Lonzo can be great but it depends on if he improves his 3 shot. He has a special gift with his Passing ability/court sense and that is something you cant teach. Magic seen that. Having said that you and I can have fun all season talking about his dad saying silly stuff lmao. I think LA got a Good player at worse though. Lonzo is long and tall so he can Rebound well at times too.

I watch all the preseason games in part to listen to what the sports media says about the teams. Obviously the tension is not there but there are good reasons to keep up on what the organizations are doing and planning.

(The pregame against the Lions is about equally intense as the regular season opener against the Rams)

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Completely untrue.   Have you ever been to a pre-season game?

I saw Brett Favre on the Jets go against Eli Manning and the Giants. Jets won 13-10, both second half scores including a Bradshaw TD. Those QB's played a couple series but I was gone before anybody scored.

Going to Colts/Lions this year for my bachelor party.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Even if there is 40 to 50 thousand butts in the seats there is still a lot of money made. A lot of those empty seats are already paid for too.

Sure it's a lot of money,  but it isn't as much as a regular season game

45 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Sure it's a lot of money,  but it isn't as much as a regular season game

With respect no one said it was. All I was saying there is still a lot of money made off pre season games that it pays off for the owners. It's not only the owners but the vendors and the city. The people who do go to the pre season games still spend a bunch of money. Even if it's only half or 3/4ths of a regular season game it pays the bills for a lot of people.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:23 PM, crazycolt1 said:

You said right here it's the same amount of money.  Unless I'm misunderstanding you

7 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You said right here it's the same amount of money.  Unless I'm misunderstanding you

The owners make there biggest chunk of money off the TV contracts. The cost of a ticket for a pre season game is the same as a regular game. Now you may get a cheaper price through scalping here in Indy but the face value is the same. Season ticket holders pay for the pre season tickets that are included in season ticket price. Most of the pre season tickets that are scalped come from season ticket holders who sell them for what they can get for them to help recoup some money. The owners get a percentage of ticket sales but the bulk comes from TV contracts. The loss of money from the empty seats in pre season games is pretty small in the big picture.

4 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Preseason is simply for evaluation of talent and getting rookies and undrafted free agents some level of experience before the final roster cuts are made. 

Oh,  that's what it's for.  I had no idea.  Thanks for clarifying

On 7/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, chad72 said:

Free selfies with cheerleaders for 100 lucky fans, that might sell some pre-season tickets. :) :peek:

Yeah, maybe if the cheerleaders wore thong bikinis and pasties. Other than that, it's still just preseason football.