Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson

RockThatBlue

I think he'll be the best rookie out of our draft class this year. Hooker may just be a rotational guy since we have Butler and he's recovering from surgery and Raw. Basham will just be a rotational guy as well. I think Quincy gets the most snaps and plays the best. He has Pagano and Vontae to mentor him.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he'll be the best rookie out of our draft class this year. Hooker may just be a rotational guy since we have Butler and he's recovering from surgery and Raw. Basham will just be a rotational guy as well. I think Quincy gets the most snaps and plays the best. He has Pagano and Vontae to mentor him.

Quincy may be the best rookie this year. I like the kid a lot. He could have easily have went in the 1st. Prior to the Combine he was in the conversation for top CB in the draft. The 40 time helped us. I'd be interested what time he puts up after he's shown what football shape is. I think he has a long future in front of him. 

I would be surprised if Hooker is a rotational guy. If he is ready to go when camp starts. He should have time to get ready for week 1 Butler is a nice option to have on the back end. He could start at S. I think that is more likely to be next to Hooker rather than instead of him. 

Time will tell. We are getting close. I haven't been this anxious to see rookies at a Colts camp in a long time. Hooker Wilson Basham Stewart Mack Hariston and Walker  all have a shot to earn snaps for us this season. 

23 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Quincy may be the best rookie this year. I like the kid a lot. He could have easily have went in the 1st. Prior to the Combine he was in the conversation for top CB in the draft. The 40 time helped us. I'd be interested what time he puts up after he's shown what football shape is. I think he has a long future in front of him. 

I would be surprised if Hooker is a rotational guy. If he is ready to go when camp starts. He should have time to get ready for week 1 Butler is a nice option to have on the back end. He could start at S. I think that is more likely to be next to Hooker rather than instead of him. 

Time will tell. We are getting close. I haven't been this anxious to see rookies at a Colts camp in a long time. Hooker Wilson Basham Stewart Mack Hariston and Walker  all have a shot to earn snaps for us this season. 

I am with you... I can't wait to see this year's rookie class on the field.  The closer we get the more anxious I get.  

I also like Wilson a lot too.  He is arguably a top two or three guy from this draft class of CB's and with no issues (off field) as far as I know.  That is, other than being in playing shape which I don't fully understand at this point, but thats what CB says so it must be something that has to be addressed.

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

I am with you... I can't wait to see this year's rookie class on the field.  The closer we get the more anxious I get.  

I also like Wilson a lot too.  He is arguably a top two or three guy from this draft class of CB's and with no issues (off field) as far as I know.  That is, other than being in playing shape which I don't fully understand at this point, but thats what CB says so it must be something that has to be addressed.

I think the football shape thing is as simple as Quincy and UF's idea of what that means is a little different than CB's definition. Like you I have only heard good things about Q.  I think that may be the one and only time we hear football shape in reference to Quincy. He knows the expectation now and that's what we will see. 

29 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I think the football shape thing is as simple as Quincy and UF's idea of what that means is a little different than CB's definition. Like you I have only heard good things about Q.  I think that may be the one and only time we hear football shape in reference to Quincy. He knows the expectation now and that's what we will see. 

I am sure you are right on with that.  You know darn well they (CB and Co.) did their homework before even putting him on the board.  I only made that comment because I don't believe I have ever heard a GM say "we have to get him into football shape" or whatever the exact verbage was. But I like it.

He is a kid so I would think he is in pretty darn good shape, but I hear what you are saying and I agree that our staff has different idea of what that means compared to what he is used to.

He  is of good character and will do what it takes to be in shape and to produce on the field.  Even if he doesn't start right away..... eventually he will be a very solid piece of our new regime.  

Cant wait for the magic

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Hooker may just be a rotational

i doubt that assuming he is healthy

i think butler will be the rotational guy, hooker is a true safety all the way, while butler can play corner, nickel or safety

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

Honestly,  I think you're reading way too much into this one moment....

First,  this is not as uncommon as you might think.    The problem is this....

Players have their season....     it runs from August through December...   that's their camp through their bowl game...     then they turn pro and after taking maybe a week to 10 days off,   they're back at it....    getting ready for all-star games and/or the combine which starts in late February.     And after maybe a few days of rest,  they're back at it again for their pro day, typiecally sometime in March.    

Wilson's pro day was late March.    So, he was in training for at least 3 more weeks.    After that,  maybe he has a proviate workout or two,   or maybe he just shut it down completely.    But at some point,  he's done and trying to get some much needed rest.      Then, he gets drafted and shows up a bit out of shape....    perhaps more out of shape than he'd like.     But he's gassed.

He's going to get some time off (but not much) afrter the rookie traning,   and then it's back again to get ready for the fall camp in late July and August.

IN other words,  for the first 7 months of their rookie year,   these kids are mostly going all out training.    They're often tired when they start fall camp in the NFL for their rookie year.      If they're not tired physically,  they're often tired mentaly.     It's all part of hitting what is commonly known as "the rookie wall."

Plahyers are looking for any little window where they can get some rest.      I strongly suspect that's what happened to Wilson.      I serously doubt that Florida,  one of the top programs in the country,  doesn't know how to physically prepare their kids to be in shape.      Wilson came into camp not ready and Ballard called him on it.      Good for Chris.    It's the right thing to do and it helps set the tone for all players.    The new GM means business and will publicly call out a player if they're not prepared.

Honestly,  I think that's all that happened.    Wilson quickly got into much better shape.    And when he shows up in a few weeks,  he'll likely be in very good shape....

Just offered for your consideration.....

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly,  I think you're reading way too much into this one moment....

First,  this is not as uncommon as you might think.    The problem is this....

Players have their season....     it runs from August through December...   that's their camp through their bowl game...     then they turn pro and after taking maybe a week to 10 days off,   they're back at it....    getting ready for all-star games and/or the combine which starts in late February.     And after maybe a few days of rest,  they're back at it again for their pro day, typiecally sometime in March.    

Wilson's pro day was late March.    So, he was in training for at least 3 more weeks.    After that,  maybe he has a proviate workout or two,   or maybe he just shut it down completely.    But at some point,  he's done and trying to get some much needed rest.      Then, he gets drafted and shows up a bit out of shape....    perhaps more out of shape than he'd like.     But he's gassed.

He's going to get some time off (but not much) afrter the rookie traning,   and then it's back again to get ready for the fall camp in late July and August.

IN other words,  for the first 7 months of their rookie year,   these kids are mostly going all out training.    They're often tired when they start fall camp in the NFL for their rookie year.      If they're not tired physically,  they're often tired mentaly.     It's all part of hitting what is commonly known as "the rookie wall."

Plahyers are looking for any little window where they can get some rest.      I strongly suspect that's what happened to Wilson.      I serously doubt that Florida,  one of the top programs in the country,  doesn't know how to physically prepare their kids to be in shape.      Wilson came into camp not ready and Ballard called him on it.      Good for Chris.    It's the right thing to do and it helps set the tone for all players.    The new GM means business and will publicly call out a player if they're not prepared.

Honestly,  I think that's all that happened.    Wilson quickly got into much better shape.    And when he shows up in a few weeks,  he'll likely be in very good shape....

Just offered for your consideration.....

I based my thought Q's weight at his pro day and combine of 211lbs. He gets to rookie camp and we hear about his football shape. The official weights you posted for us, thanks for that NCF, shows that Q is one of the guys to show significant change. He was at 204lbs +\- 2lbs I can't remember for sure. He had lost enough weight to catch my attention. He was closing in on 200lbs It had me thinking about that 40 time. If he runs a click quicker there's a chance he's not there for us.

As far as UF and their players being in shape. I didn't say their players weren't in shape. I said there could be a difference In football shape. UF may have thought carrying the extra weight was beneficial. Where we value a little more speed and quickness so we want his weight down.

You are right about one thing. I am absolutely reading too much into it I'm a Indiana sports junkie. The Pacers FA has slowed way down. We are at a dead spot with college and pro football. What else am I to do? 

To me it depends totally on scheme.  I've watched every game of Wilson's career (since I'm a Gator) and contrary to popular belief the Gators have run Cover 3 zone for more than a decade now.  So guys like Wilson, Tabor, Hargreaves, Jaylen Watkins, Joe Haden, etc all the way back to perhaps Lito Sheppard have all run that system.  If they ask him to run that and take away 1/3 of the field and not worry about the middle of the field I think he'll be fine.  If he has to play man for the majority of the downs I think you will see a lot of rookie struggles as it will be like learning a new position for him for the most part.

6 hours ago, tikyle said:

To me it depends totally on scheme.  I've watched every game of Wilson's career (since I'm a Gator) and contrary to popular belief the Gators have run Cover 3 zone for more than a decade now.  So guys like Wilson, Tabor, Hargreaves, Jaylen Watkins, Joe Haden, etc all the way back to perhaps Lito Sheppard have all run that system.  If they ask him to run that and take away 1/3 of the field and not worry about the middle of the field I think he'll be fine.  If he has to play man for the majority of the downs I think you will see a lot of rookie struggles as it will be like learning a new position for him for the most part.

Agree he is the perfect cover 3 corner if hooker can cover centerfield. 

On 7/17/2017 at 11:18 AM, tikyle said:

Yeah, he's definitely a press cover 3 guy. Honestly I'm not sure they draft him if not for snagging Hooker. I'm worried about his speed but think he has a high ceiling with help over the top. 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:48 PM, wig said:

Yeah, he's definitely a press cover 3 guy. Honestly I'm not sure they draft him if not for snagging Hooker. I'm worried about his speed but think he has a high ceiling with help over the top. 

His size and physicality will make up for his speed.  Richard Sherman and all the other Seattle DBs are slow (relative to the position).  But their ability to press and there size when the ball is coming down are the reason it's so hard to beat them deep.  If Wilson can play with that sort of technique he will be fine.