Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson

RockThatBlue

7 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

Maybe you should try and use a bill b type of mindset and just take it week by week and day by day. Not try to guess and make assumptions without ever even seeing him play 1 nfl down

I think that is what RockThatBlue pretty much said in the comment, just is different words.

The assumptions can be made by every player taken in the draft. That is what fans do.

14 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

Maybe you should try and use a bill b type of mindset and just take it week by week and day by day. Not try to guess and make assumptions without ever even seeing him play 1 nfl down

What fun is it if we can't talk about how we think a player will play? We gotta have some stuff to talk about.

37 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

What fun is it if we can't talk about how we think a player will play? We gotta have some stuff to talk about.

giphy.gif

Not trying to rant but man we'll sit here and say there's no point in making predictions or talking about the season until it starts, and then right away complain about how there's nothing to talk about in the off season haha.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

What are your thoughts and expectations for his rookie season?

Personally I expect some lumps as hes a rookie, but I think he has a real chance to be a good #2.

40 Tackles (Assisted & Solo combined)

4 Interceptions

15+ Pass Break-Ups

2 Fumble Recoveries

Like most, I expect the usual rookie jitters to start. But at the same time, I expect him to make a few big time plays defensively, be it hits, or picks. We all want game changers on defense, and I think Ballard got two guys with that kind of potential with the first two picks in the draft. Up to Pags and co to tap into that potential and make something happen.

I don't know about pick numbers or anything like that, but the important thing for Wilson for me, is how he finishes the season. Finish strong and show definite improvement and I think I'll call it a success. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

It will be a season to help evaluate if he can consistently turn and run with NFL receivers.  If not, he has the size, speed, and skills to make a nice safety.

I concur.  I think he will be able to play CB but time will tell.  If not, he's definitely a safety.

Anything short of a solid rookie season and I'll be disappointed. I expect Quincy Wilson to go out there and at least prove he should start for us early. 5 INT's seeing how QBs will throw his way sounds about right, and he should do a decent job of shutting down his side of the field. People seem to think he'll struggle out of the gate, which I think is ridiculous, despite his age. He would of been a 1st round pick in a weaker draft or a weaker CB draft, remember that. This was a gift pick due to being in the right spot at the right time. IMO, he will be a shutdown corner relatively quickly, and our no1 corner after Vontae leaves. 

16 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

What are your thoughts and expectations for his rookie season?

Personally I expect some lumps as hes a rookie, but I think he has a real chance to be a good #2.

He's physical at the line of scrimmage, will be in press man majority of the time, and will be tested often by opposing QBs. I expect some penalties and a steep learning curve in his rookie season while he adjusts to the speed of NFL WRs and gets a grasp on the rulebook. Overall I think he'll develop nicely over the course of the season, but it could be kind of ugly early on. He looks to have a very high ceiling, and since he's SO young, he honestly may not even hit that ceiling til year 4 or 5.

49 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Anything short of a solid rookie season and I'll be disappointed. I expect Quincy Wilson to go out there and at least prove he should start for us early. 5 INT's seeing how QBs will throw his way sounds about right, and he should do a decent job of shutting down his side of the field. People seem to think he'll struggle out of the gate, which I think is ridiculous, despite his age. He would of been a 1st round pick in a weaker draft or a weaker CB draft, remember that. This was a gift pick due to being in the right spot at the right time. IMO, he will be a shutdown corner relatively quickly, and our no1 corner after Vontae leaves. 

Man, a 5 INT's are a pro-bowl season for a CB.... :) (Malcolm Butler, Richard Sherman had 4, Patrick Peterson, Aquib Talib had 3...) I'd of couse love to see him picking opponent QB's 5 times, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect that many.

Anyway, I need to see him first to have an opinion on him. What I see from tape and his measurables is that he is a prototypical press man corner, which is a perfect fit for our system. However, while his speed is fine for his position - Marcus Peters, Sherman has similar speed -, he is not quick enough to recover by only foot when he's loosing. Rookies tend to use their hands too much in these situations, which projects penalties. Maybe plenty :) 

Anyway, even if he'll have a rough first year, I still love this pick. He is a proof for me that the front office (Ballard and Pagano) is in synch now. They know who they are looking for, and get the guy who is perfect for the system. (Compare this pick to D'Joun Smith, who was more of an off-man corner. That pick had "I'm Grigson, I am the GM, I decide who I see fit" feeling all around him.)

1 minute ago, Peterk2011 said:

Man, a 5 INT's are a pro-bowl season for a CB.... :) (Malcolm Butler, Richard Sherman had 4, Patrick Peterson, Aquib Talib had 3...) I'd of couse love to see him picking opponent QB's 5 times, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect that many.

Anyway, I need to see him first to have an opinion on him. What I see from tape and his measurables is that he is a prototypical press man corner, which is a perfect fit for our system. However, while his speed is fine for his position - Marcus Peters, Sherman has similar speed -, he is not quick enough to recover by only foot when he's loosing. Rookies tend to use their hands too much in these situations, which projects penalties. Maybe plenty :) 

Anyway, even if he'll have a rough first year, I still love this pick. He is a proof for me that the front office (Ballard and Pagano) is in synch now. They know who they are looking for, and get the guy who is perfect for the system. (Compare this pick to D'Joun Smith, who was more of an off-man corner. That pick had "I'm Grigson, I am the GM, I decide who I see fit" feeling all around him.)

Yeah, the 5 INT's are completely based on how much I believe he'll get targeted and the fact that Vontae will still be somewhat of a shutdown corner this year. Just by pure volume, I think 5 INTs are possible. Doesn't mean he won't struggle a bit, but I see some big plays by him as well because of opportunity. His speed is average, but his ability is off the charts (especially his coverage). Definitely a great pick, and we are in good hands with Ballard. It'll be up to Luck's health, but I think we can have a very competitive year with our new rookies and FA's.

I wasn't a fan of the pick, but he's a bigger corner who can jam guys from the line of scrimmage. He's going to have his ups and downs, but hopefully, he shows signs of growth as the season moves forward. I'm hoping the Colts can re-sign Davis and continue to build our CB depth next off-season.

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Waiting to see him play. Hopefully he doesnt have a million penalties.

This is what I'm worried about.  Scouting report on him said he had a tendency to do things that would be called as penalties in the NFL.  

On 7/7/2017 at 0:24 PM, Colt-King21 said:

I wasn't a fan of the pick, but he's a bigger corner who can jam guys from the line of scrimmage. He's going to have his ups and downs, but hopefully, he shows signs of growth as the season moves forward. I'm hoping the Colts can re-sign Davis and continue to build our CB depth next off-season.

It'll be interesting to see if we even do re sign Davis. He will be over 30 and I believe there's very few CBs that old starting. That'll definitely be an interesting issue for next year, especially if he has a big year 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

It'll be interesting to see if we even do re sign Davis. He will be over 30 and I believe there's very few CBs that old starting. That'll definitely be an interesting issue for next year, especially if he has a big year 

There are many players nearing or over 30 who are starting. Jonathan Joseph, DRC, Kareem Jackson, Aquib Talib, Amukamara, Jason McCarthy, Jimmy Smith, Maxwell, Sherman, etc.

Davis won't get a 4+ years, guaranteed contract any more. But it doesn't really matter, because most contracts nowadays are - no matter how long - practically structured as 1 (2) year(s) guaranteed + X years non-guaranteed contracts. Assuming, that Davis can play 2 more years at his current level (well, his 2015 level), I see low risk in giving him a new contract, structured that way.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:09 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd love for that to happen and hope it does! Ballard still could use some help next offseason even if Davis is retained since there is uncertainty at SS with Geathers. Next offseason I could see Ballard still targeting defense, especially at LB, and maybe a DL player early if Anderson doesn't show his pre-injury form. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

I'd love for that to happen and hope it does! Ballard still could use some help next offseason even if Davis is retained since there is uncertainty at SS with Geathers. Next offseason I could see Ballard still targeting defense, especially at LB, and maybe a DL player early if Anderson doesn't show his pre-injury form. 

So do I! Our secondary is still uncertain, so a CB in the first 3 picks would be ideal in next year's draft (I'd probably take a pass rusher in the 1st if the right player was available). Geathers I'm always worried about, luckily we have Hooker, who should fit in well. I think Anderson will be fine, he's had over a year to recover, and nothing suggests to me yet that he'll have lingering issues (hope it stays that way). 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So do I! Our secondary is still uncertain, so a CB in the first 3 picks would be ideal in next year's draft (I'd probably take a pass rusher in the 1st if the right player was available). Geathers I'm always worried about, luckily we have Hooker, who should fit in well. I think Anderson will be fine, he's had over a year to recover, and nothing suggests to me yet that he'll have lingering issues (hope it stays that way). 

Ballard may also look to draft an OL player early too, especially if he lets Mewhort walk. If the cost is too high to retain him, don't be surprised if this happens. So I could see a CB, LB, and OL player all drafted within the first 4 rounds next year. 

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard may also look to draft an OL player early too, especially if he lets Mewhort walk. If the cost is too high to retain him, don't be surprised if this happens. So I could see a CB, LB, and OL player all drafted within the first 4 rounds next year. 

I would be very disappointed if Mewhort walks, but it could happen. I would like one more elite-near elite type O-Lineman on our team, just don't want to pay a 1st for him in the draft next year. If someone falls in the 2nd, I'd be all over it. Lets hope we keep Mewhort, that would set us back IMO if he left.

On 11/07/2017 at 3:40 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I would be very disappointed if Mewhort walks, but it could happen. I would like one more elite-near elite type O-Lineman on our team, just don't want to pay a 1st for him in the draft next year. If someone falls in the 2nd, I'd be all over it. Lets hope we keep Mewhort, that would set us back IMO if he left.

Finally,  something we agree on. :) Mewhort is a must re-sign for me. The oline needs as much help as it can get and continuity is priceless. 

On 7/6/2017 at 7:26 PM, NorthernBlue said:

giphy.gif

Not trying to rant but man we'll sit here and say there's no point in making predictions or talking about the season until it starts, and then right away complain about how there's nothing to talk about in the off season haha.

As long as he can cover someone i'm all good with him.

On 7/6/2017 at 7:32 PM, Zalazar Elijahh said:

Why he's not the coach?  He's a fan and this is what fans do.  I don't really see why having the mindset of a coach matters for a fan.  He's excited about a young player and wants to see if others share that excitement.  Nothing wrong with that. 

On 7/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, Valpo2004 said:

This is what I'm worried about.  Scouting report on him said he had a tendency to do things that would be called as penalties in the NFL.  

That's where coaching will be important, they will have coach that out of him.  

Still as with any rookie corner I expect some flags.  When they get beat they grab.  Hopefully the coaches can get that to a minimum but we shall see.

On 7/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, Peterk2011 said:

There are many players nearing or over 30 who are starting. Jonathan Joseph, DRC, Kareem Jackson, Aquib Talib, Amukamara, Jason McCarthy, Jimmy Smith, Maxwell, Sherman, etc.

Davis won't get a 4+ years, guaranteed contract any more. But it doesn't really matter, because most contracts nowadays are - no matter how long - practically structured as 1 (2) year(s) guaranteed + X years non-guaranteed contracts. Assuming, that Davis can play 2 more years at his current level (well, his 2015 level), I see low risk in giving him a new contract, structured that way.

I think a few years ago there were only one or two corners starting over 30, but as you said that has changed recently 

Watched the Florida game @ Tennessee because they have been showing it on ESPN late at night lately.  And although they skipped a few parts due to time constraints, I only saw UT throw to Wilson's man one time, and he picked it in the end-zone.  Other than that they stayed away from him.

I think he'll be decent. He'll probably be bad to start the year off but as he grows with the defense and gets better, he'll be defense. I don't expect him to light the world on fire or become the best CB in the league. He'll probably be penciled in as a solid #2 CB by the end of the season, nothing more and nothing less.