Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reasons to root for the Colts

RockThatBlue

Ha, good article. Thanks for sharing. In reading the thread topic I thought this was just gonna be a place to list reasons why we personally are Colts fans, so I immediately began brainstorming the reasons I'm a Colts fan...

So I'll add that while growing up in East Central Indiana has made me a default Colts fan, (i believe you root for the hometown team), I also find Irsay endearing despite all of his downfalls. Say what you will about the Willy Wonka of the NFL world, Irsay can be generous to a fault, has a hugnormous heart, & wears his emotions on his sleeve, a trait that may be all too uncommon for people in his position. I also appreciate Irsay's love of counter culture & would love to see his copy of the original scroll manuscript of 'On the Road' & discuss Kerouac's work, or even pick out a few riffs out on any number of guitars in Jim's collection, especially his Irwin Tiger guitar originally made fanous by Jerry Garcia...

So on top of the good list of reasons to be a Colts fan in Rank's article, I guess I thought I'd add a few myself...

Apparently Rank isn't always rank.  

Bert Jones was very close to being that 4th all timer.   

I wonder if anyone has done a stat on the percentage of years a franchise has had a 'franchise' QB?   

For example (these numbers aren't real accurate) the Packers are 100 years old.  They had Starr, Favre, and Rodgers for 40 years.  40% 

Colts are roughly 60 years old.  Unitas, Morrall, Jones, Manning, Luck = about 40.

Colts = 66%.  

Who's better?

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I wonder if anyone has done a stat on the percentage of years a franchise has had a 'franchise' QB?   

For example (these numbers aren't real accurate) the Packers are 100 years old.  They had Starr, Favre, and Rodgers for 40 years.  40% 

Colts are roughly 60 years old.  Unitas, Morrall, Jones, Manning, Luck = about 40.

Colts = 66%.  

Who's better?

I think the most accurate way you're gonna show that is to go from the Merger to present

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Colts = 66%.  

Who's better?

Bert Jones was awesome. It's a shame his 1976 season is being forgotten in time due to inflated passing stats and modern era. For the time, that was a ground breaking season with his TD/INT ratio. Nowadays with younger fans, I guess it isn't that impressive. 

Terrific quarterback. One of those "what could've been" type QB's in history that leave you wondering if he could've become a Hall of Famer had injuries not slowed him down. 

21 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha, good article. Thanks for sharing. In reading the thread topic I thought this was just gonna be a place to list reasons why we personally are Colts fans, so I immediately began brainstorming the reasons I'm a Colts fan...

So I'll add that while growing up in East Central Indiana has made me a default Colts fan, (i believe you root for the hometown team), I also find Irsay endearing despite all of his downfalls. Say what you will about the Willy Wonka of the NFL world, Irsay can be generous to a fault, has a hugnormous heart, & wears his emotions on his sleeve, a trait that may be all too uncommon for people in his position. I also appreciate Irsay's love of counter culture & would love to see his copy of the original scroll manuscript of 'On the Road' & discuss Kerouac's work, or even pick out a few riffs out on any number of guitars in Jim's collection, especially his Irwin Tiger guitar originally made fanous by Jerry Garcia...

So on top of the good list of reasons to be a Colts fan in Rank's article, I guess I thought I'd add a few myself...

I definitely get the Willy Wonkka reference! That said, Peyton Manning is the reason why I'm a colts fan!