Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LB Zach Orr visiting today

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Went undrafted in 2014, played for the Ravens for 3 years, ended up making a second team All-Pro.  Still young, but he retired due to injury concerns and it looks like he's now looking to get back in the NFL.  He's a very good linebacker and would be an immediate upgrade and starter for us, provided he's healthy

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

If he's healthy he'd be more than a decent or "good" signing. He'd be a major signing. He really came into his own last season. Another ascending player who's best football is ahead of him if he can play and be 100%.

He's healthy, no question.  That is not the issue.  the issue is, in the NFL it is not a question of IF you get injured, it is a matter of When, Where, and the extent.

One issue is if he suffers some type of a neck disc injury, and then tries to play through it. Also, If he should be unfortunate enough to suffer a Jermichael Finley hit / injury. Not only may he be permanently paralyzed, but spinal cord bruise in the upper area could well disrupt his ability to breathe. The rule of thumb is the higher up in the spine an injury occurs, the more damage that is caused to the central nervous system. The risk/penalty for Orr is much higher than the typical player in this regard.

Finley himself had to work so hard to just be somewhat normal again, but could never be able to play again.He retired after a year trying to get back.  Orr might not have the luxury to even attempt to do that if in a similar circumstance.  THAT is the issue...  not his current health, where he is fine.  That is not what would fail him in a team physical. He has recovered from two herniated discs (that fortunately were in a different area and not related to his discovered spine abnormality) suffered in a game late last year. The vertebral anomaly was uncovered in an extensive exam following that disc injury problem.

Below is the play that ended Jermichael Finley's career, and his story about it and the struggles/triumphs following-

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jermichael-finley-packers-injury-retirement/

JF_Spinal_zpsmridqweb.png

To see the play, watch this on YouTube-

Quotes, after his rehab to comeback-

"The Seahawks were ready to offer up a pretty lucrative deal. But I failed my physical. The Seahawks doctors said that my neck hadn’t fully healed yet, so John told me they couldn’t sign me.

Here’s the thing about failing a physical: It follows you around the league. After you fail one, a lot of teams won’t even bring you in because they’ll see it as a waste of time — that if I wasn’t healthy enough for the Seahawks, I wasn’t going to be healthy enough for their team, either."

"But I was saying goodbye to something I had worked my whole life for. It’s not how I wanted to go out, but most guys don’t get to decide for themselves when they’re done with the game.

The game lets you know when it’s done with you."

**But that was just Part 1.

Part 2 is everything that happened next.

That’s the story I’m really here to tell **

These are minimal snippets. The article is a great read for those interested

On 6/30/2017 at 11:44 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I'd love to see him in Indy

I agree. I would, however, exercise extreme caution with this congenital deformity because while it is not really unstable, the player could be at "high risk for neurological injury". The doctors hopefully will protect this young man.

22 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He's healthy, no question.  That is not the issue.  the issue is, in the NFL it is not a question of IF you get injured, it is a matter of When, Where, and the extent.

One issue is if he suffers some type of a neck disc injury, and then tries to play through it. Also, If he should be unfortunate enough to suffer a Jermichael Finley hit / injury. Not only may he be permanently paralyzed, but spinal cord bruise in the upper area could well disrupt his ability to breathe. The rule of thumb is the higher up in the spine an injury occurs, the more damage that is caused to the central nervous system. The risk/penalty for Orr is much higher than the typical player in this regard.

Finley himself had to work so hard to just be somewhat normal again, but could never be able to play again.He retired after a year trying to get back.  Orr might not have the luxury to even attempt to do that if in a similar circumstance.  THAT is the issue...  not his current health, where he is fine.  That is not what would fail him in a team physical. He has recovered from two herniated discs (that fortunately were in a different area and not related to his discovered spine abnormality) suffered in a game late last year. The vertebral anomaly was uncovered in an extensive exam following that disc injury problem.

Below is the play that ended Jermichael Finley's career, and his story about it and the struggles/triumphs following-

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jermichael-finley-packers-injury-retirement/

JF_Spinal_zpsmridqweb.png

To see the play, watch this on YouTube-

Quotes, after his rehab to comeback-

"The Seahawks were ready to offer up a pretty lucrative deal. But I failed my physical. The Seahawks doctors said that my neck hadn’t fully healed yet, so John told me they couldn’t sign me.

Here’s the thing about failing a physical: It follows you around the league. After you fail one, a lot of teams won’t even bring you in because they’ll see it as a waste of time — that if I wasn’t healthy enough for the Seahawks, I wasn’t going to be healthy enough for their team, either."

"But I was saying goodbye to something I had worked my whole life for. It’s not how I wanted to go out, but most guys don’t get to decide for themselves when they’re done with the game.

The game lets you know when it’s done with you."

**But that was just Part 1.

Part 2 is everything that happened next.

That’s the story I’m really here to tell **

These are minimal snippets. The article is a great read for those interested

Thanks for sharing the article.  It was very interesting and I got a lot from it.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:48 AM, 21isSuperman said:

Went undrafted in 2014, played for the Ravens for 3 years, ended up making a second team All-Pro.  Still young, but he retired due to injury concerns and it looks like he's now looking to get back in the NFL.  He's a very good linebacker and would be an immediate upgrade and starter for us, provided he's healthy

OK thanks.  I don't remember hearing this guy's name much but then again I don't follow the Ravens much.

5 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

Pretty much going as I anticipated.  Doctors share medical information on traded players or FA's bouncing around.  It all started in 2014 on iPads, now using Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, I believe).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/07/17/players-emr-medical-records-online-ipads-concussions/2528111/

Jermichael Finley article explains that once you fail a team physical, it follows you around the league.  This could be but one of the reasons why.  Let's see if the team visits slow, or stop now.

as i have said before, I'd be highly interested in the team (& medical staff) that signs off on him joining their squad...

On 7/8/2017 at 11:26 PM, philba101 said:

I heard a lot of news about Orr's plan to meet with the Colts but never heard how the visit actually went. Did anyone hear about this?

This is what was reported-

"Friday’s visit, according to an NFL source, was an information-gathering effort, the Colts wanting to get a sense of whether Orr’s recently discovered congenital spinal condition would allow him to continue playing," wrote Holder. "And thus far, the Colts have not reached a comfort level with Orr that would pave the way to his signing with the team."

I haven't heard about any other teams visits.  It is possible he has failed both Lions and Colts physicals, and other teams shut the door on bringing him in as a potential waste of time.

7 hours ago, Colt-King21 said:

You and me both.

I truly believe it is highly unlikely he plays anymore, for any team.  Jermichael Finley explains one reason why-

"My thing is, what type of people is he talking to? Is he talking to family members that may be mooching off him his whole life, or is he talking to a doctor with a lot of pride, and a doctor that’s done his surgery—you know what I mean?—that just wants him out there just to say, “This is my guy; I helped him get healthy”? Or are they looking out for his best outlook?"

"I think it’s going to be tough. Zach is a great guy; I’ve followed him in the NFL—awesome, awesome guy. But at the end of the day, the league has their butts to cover, and teams have their butts to cover, so I think it’s going to be difficult for him to get on a team. Especially with all the head injuries, the settlements that’s coming out. It’s going to be very tough for any guy that had a neck or head injury to get back in the NFL from this point on."

** As Finley indicated, there may be people in his camp who have personal interest in Orr’s return as opposed to his safety and well being.**

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/7/9/15940336/jermichael-finley-thinks-a-zach-orr-return-is-unlikely-ravens-packers-deadspin-concussion

I continue to posit the question, what team doctor would want to be responsible for the possibility of a worst-case scenario? The last thing the NFL needs is a player suffering a debilitating injury or worse during a game, notably a player who had been already been flagged as presenting a potentially elevated risk of a debilitating injury  occurring by playing in a game.

I continue to be a Debbiie downer on this.  I'll have to check and see if Dr. Chao has changed his tune any, as he once felt there might be a team or two that would roll the dice on him...