Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hooker discussion

twfish

So I'm going to start this out by saying I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, but it's the slow time of year right now and there is legitimate concern.

So I admittedly didn't watch alot of film on before the draft because #1 I didn't believe we needed a safety in the first and #2 he was projected all year to go higher in the draft. I knew a little bit about him though. As my buddy and I were walking into bdubs draft night I made the comment to him that whoever is going to take him was really playing with fire. I mean he has a ton of red flags going into the draft. Well as the draft went on and it came to the colts pick I was really torn. I was pumped because we got a possible top 5 talent if he pans out but everything I had said left me in a weird state.

So let's talk about some of these red flags. He was a one year starter. Which is always concerning. But he put up some good stats and showed tons of athletism. We talk about his interceptions but the majority came from smaller schools with less than stellar QB play. His teammate CB's were some of the best in this years draft which leads me to ask was he a product of them or where they a product of him or they could have just meshed really well and had an insane amount of talent in their secondary. Another huge red flag is being injured after one season entire season, how will he hold up in this league? He didn't perform at the combine but it's looking hopeful for training camp. I mean am I wrong in these concerns?

On the flip side for as little time as he has been playing the game of football he has very good instincts and his football IQ seems very high. His build is very good along with his athletism. I have very high hopes for the kid and if he balls out I can see him almost single handedly changing the look of our defense and it can be so much more and we can really take away the deep ball and let our corners really go out there and play.

I'm really hopeful this kid will do great things here but I'm also not blind to my initial concerns just because the colts picked him. If nothing else this is a good subject to talk about.

Hooker is not just a top talent, but he is an Andrew Luck of safety prospects. A guy who - along with Jamal Adams - clearly stood out of probably the best safety class of the last decade. Whether he'l become a Luck or a RGIII we will see. Anyhow, at 1/15 he's well worth the risk.

20 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

"Didn't think we needed a safety in the 1st"

TJ Green doesn't need to touch the field, we badly needed a safety partner for Geathers 

Now even Geathers career is in jeopardy so we might have to draft another safety next year 

Pre draft my mind was set on CB OLB MLB I was thinking safety in the 2nd or 3rd. Besides mock drafts had Adams and hooker going before our pick and wasn't to intrigued by other safety prospects around the 15 mark. I totally agreed with safety as a need though.

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

Pre draft my mind was set on CB OLB MLB I was thinking safety in the 2nd or 3rd. Besides mock drafts had Adams and hooker going before our pick and wasn't to intrigued by other safety prospects around the 15 mark. I totally agreed with safety as a need though.

First off, football is not baseball. Mock drafts are generally wrong because a team can't manipulate the salary cap based on where they are picking in the draft and have pre-talks before the draft to sign a player for more or less (depending on the strategy they want to take). You pick your player and most of the time, sign them at that picks value. In a draft, anyone can fall to a certain point. Hooker falling to 15 was unlikely, but not impossible. You also can't draft by need or have a certain position picked out for your pick, if you do, you'll likely get burned if your pick gets taken, there's a run on the position, or someone else falls and you are forced to make a tough decision on the fly. You have to go BPA (within reason), and that's what we did. It's a high upside pick that we needed on defense. This was a very deep draft, and Ballard still got got other guys that were solid at positions of need later. Not worried about Hooker at all.

I don't think you're crazy at all.  ALL of these rookies come with some concerns and none has proven anything on an NFL field.  That said, the only thing I'm really concerned with right now is his injury and when he can start practicing.  Missing time has put him behind and I'm concerned if he can catch up in time for the start of the season.  Other than that, I think he has the talent and instincts to become at the least a solid starting safety in this league.  I was quite pleased on draft night as I didn't expect him to be there.  But I understand your concern.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

So I'm going to start this out by saying I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, but it's the slow time of year right now and there is legitimate concern.

So I admittedly didn't watch alot of film on before the draft because #1 I didn't believe we needed a safety in the first and #2 he was projected all year to go higher in the draft. I knew a little bit about him though. As my buddy and I were walking into bdubs draft night I made the comment to him that whoever is going to take him was really playing with fire. I mean he has a ton of red flags going into the draft. Well as the draft went on and it came to the colts pick I was really torn. I was pumped because we got a possible top 5 talent if he pans out but everything I had said left me in a weird state.

So let's talk about some of these red flags. He was a one year starter. Which is always concerning. But he put up some good stats and showed tons of athletism. We talk about his interceptions but the majority came from smaller schools with less than stellar QB play. His teammate CB's were some of the best in this years draft which leads me to ask was he a product of them or where they a product of him or they could have just meshed really well and had an insane amount of talent in their secondary. Another huge red flag is being injured after one season entire season, how will he hold up in this league? He didn't perform at the combine but it's looking hopeful for training camp. I mean am I wrong in these concerns?

On the flip side for as little time as he has been playing the game of football he has very good instincts and his football IQ seems very high. His build is very good along with his athletism. I have very high hopes for the kid and if he balls out I can see him almost single handedly changing the look of our defense and it can be so much more and we can really take away the deep ball and let our corners really go out there and play.

I'm really hopeful this kid will do great things here but I'm also not blind to my initial concerns just because the colts picked him. If nothing else this is a good subject to talk about.

He will be good he has a ton to learn but I believe he will be good two surgeries already concern me a bit but he is young he will recover and be just fine people have said he missed tackles were suspect but I watched a lot of him last season at OSU and I didn't see him miss a lot of tackles so I don't see what people are talking about there I see on film a top 5 talent and if he gets good coaching he will be a great player for us and a building block.

2 hours ago, twfish said:

I made the comment to him that whoever is going to take him was really playing with fire. I mean he has a ton of red flags going into the draft. Well as the draft went on and it came to the colts pick I was really torn. I was pumped because we got a possible top 5 talent if he pans out but everything I had said left me in a weird state.

If we don't draft Hooker our S position is in trouble. Geathers injury is only part of the problem. Green did not impress and Butler is getting old He's already aged out of CB. 

The statement the majority of his picks came  vs small schools is incorrect.  2 of the 3 picks he returned for TD's came against Michigan and Clemson. Two very good teams last year. Then he had INT's vs Nebraska vs IU who seem to always play OSU tough. He had another vs a Tulsa team that went 10-3.  His play over the top made life easier for the CB's IMO It certainly didn't hurt. 

There is alwatys a chance for a bust. That's the nature of the draft. I feel like you are looking even manufacturing "red flags". The injuries are a concern but if he's there for camp he should be fine.  I have not heard anyone saying he won't be.

He did miss 17 tackles which is a big number but he's not here to support the run. His tackling can be fixed. Honestly it didn't jump out at me when I watched OSU.  What did was his instincts then his ball skills and explosiveness. His range and closing speed are top notch. 

We got pretty lucky pulling Hooker Wilson and Basham the first 2 days. Ballard was smart enough to pull the trigger but  I'm not sure the draft could have broke any better for us. 

If we can get Geathers healthy. The Hooker Geathers Wilson trio could be the start of something for us. I love the pick and don't see anything to make me think he won't make an impact for us starting this season. 

9 hours ago, twfish said:

Talk to any Penn State fan.  I have.

they all know who he is. Most say "what an athlete." Or "best athlete on the field."

Thats exactly what this team needs.  Better athletes.

if he can cover the top like he has, it could be a game changer for our defense.

there are red flags with ANY rookie.  Even Luck, Manning, Brady, etc,etc.

how about this...: we wait and see.  A novel concept, no?

12 hours ago, twfish said:

I agree 100% and said as much on draft day and a few days thereafter.  He "fell" to number 15 for a reason (s), not because 14 other GMs were  maroons (which sounds simply like what OSU fans would say)

The negatives you point out are spot on.  One positive, his athleticism, is somewhat lost in the position he plays.  IMO, the definition of athleticism is the ability to turn on a dime without losing speed.  For example, Barry Sanders had tremendous athleticism, Bjorn Werner had very little.  IMO, athleticism is more important at press-man CB than at centerfield FS.

For that position, instincts are primarily important, and Hooker has those, as well as straight line speed, some size, and catching ability.  

Ironically, TJ Green has the similar PHYSICAL skills but no instincts, and that is a big deal for a FS.  But the the fact that Green can't turn on dime like Hooker gets lost in the fact that they are playing centerfield...sit back and read the play then charge full speed to where the ball is thrown.  Hooker has the ability to do more, but the forum raves about his ability to do that, and charging full speed to where the ball is thrown does not take superior athleticism as it does straight line speed and instincts.  Not to mention Green may actually be a better angle-taker in the run game.

While most everybody else has stated what a steal it was to take him at 15, I thought it was a reach, all things considered.  But I hope those instincts are really, really, special.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Nobody knows who he'll turn out, so no use wasting energy thinking about it until we actually see what he does on the field. 

As a life long Buckeye, I was ecstatic when he fell to us.  But like you said, you can never tell how any player will turn out.  One major injury, especially to a fast twitch guy, can ruin a career.

As far as his tackling, people have the wrong impression.  He had a bunch of solo tackles, so it's not like he can't tackle.  He's only played the position a little over a year, so coaching is a key.

He has the potential to be a game changer.  But that's probably not going to happen day one.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I agree 100% and said as much on draft day and a few days thereafter.  He "fell" to number 15 for a reason (s), not because 14 other GMs were  maroons (which sounds simply like what OSU fans would say)

The negatives you point out are spot on.  One positive, his athleticism, is somewhat lost in the position he plays.  IMO, the definition of athleticism is the ability to turn on a dime without losing speed.  For example, Barry Sanders had tremendous athleticism, Bjorn Werner had very little.  IMO, athleticism is more important at press-man CB than at centerfield FS.

For that position, instincts are primarily important, and Hooker has those, as well as straight line speed, some size, and catching ability.  

Ironically, TJ Green has the similar PHYSICAL skills but no instincts, and that is a big deal for a FS.  But the the fact that Green can't turn on dime like Hooker gets lost in the fact that they are playing centerfield...sit back and read the play then charge full speed to where the ball is thrown.  Hooker has the ability to do more, but the forum raves about his ability to do that, and charging full speed to where the ball is thrown does not take superior athleticism as it does straight line speed and instincts.  Not to mention Green may actually be a better angle-taker in the run game.

While most everybody else has stated what a steal it was to take him at 15, I thought it was a reach, all things considered.  But I hope those instincts are really, really, special.

I see what you're saying but I would take issue with one thing you said: he was NOT a reach.  Every mock draft I could find had him going among the top 10-15 picks.  Every one of them.  A reach is taking a guy who is projected to go 2nd round and taking him at 15.  This guy was drafted later than most of his projections.  That does not qualify as a reach IMHO. 

Now, that has nothing to do with how he will turn out as a pro.  Those two things are not attached.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

I see what you're saying but I would take issue with one thing you said: he was NOT a reach.  Every mock draft I could find had him going among the top 10-15 picks.  Every one of them.  A reach is taking a guy who is projected to go 2nd round and taking him at 15.  This guy was drafted later than most of his projections.  That does not qualify as a reach IMHO. 

Now, that has nothing to do with how he will turn out as a pro.  Those two things are not attached.

Let me say that positional value matters, so its fairly hard for me to accept any FS at 15, just like it was hard to accept a C at 18 last year.  The difference between Kelly and Hooker is that Kelly had a deeper resume and displayed greater durability, so I thought of him as a sure-thing pro who would fill position of immediate need, where as the OP has explained some things about Hooker that can detract from thinking he's a sure-thing.  Not to mention FS was not really a need considering Darius Butler was available.

Reach may be too dramatic of a word.  I think Hooker belonged in the 20 to 25 range compared to most pundits who think the 5 to 10 range was appropriate. 

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Let me say that positional value matters, so its fairly hard for me to accept any FS at 15,

a good safety can impact the game as much as any defender can though

look at what guys like ed reed, earl thomas and bob sanders did for their teams

hooker did a lot in one year for his team too

I'm optimistic, so I'm looking at the silver lining of each red flag.

Not playing a lot in college might mean he lasts longer in the NFL.  There have been issues with Bama players not lasting long in the NFL because they play so much smash-mouth in college.  Since Hooker doesn't have a lot of experience, the learning curve might be steeper, but it seems like he has great instincts, and he has to practice against Luck once they're both back, so hopefully he is a quick-study.

As far as the injury issue, I think we will again benefit from limited play in the college ranks.  Some of these guys don't get properly diagnosed and treated in a timely fashion while in college because their absence would be so detrimental to the team.  So they play injured, sometimes for a year or more, and make it worse.  Bama players are again a good example.  They know if they can just finish the season as a starter on a championship team, they will get drafted higher, and then get surgery to fix their injury after they sign that big contract.  Allen and Foster come to mind from this past draft.

I think once Malik gets healthy and gets some experience under his belt, his tank should be full and the sky's the limit.  Arizona is probably the best offense we will face in the first half of the season, so Hooker will have some time to get his feet under him.  We need all of our DBs healthy and firing on all cylinders in time for Pittsburgh.  That will be our watermark-game this season.

48 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

a good safety can impact the game as much as any defender can though

look at what guys like ed reed, earl thomas and bob sanders did for their teams

hooker did a lot in one year for his team too

Not disagreeing.  I'm simply saying I think the difference in Hooker's value was from the 5-10 range to the 20-25 range because of some question marks raised by the OP.

BTW, all of those players you mentioned played with much better talent at other positions than what we have.

I've heard Hooker get compared to Ed Reed and I would be so happy to see him achieve that potential.

However I'm sure that it will take him some time to get accustomed to playing in the NFL. I'm expecting him to struggle at times, and make plays at others. 

I'd like to say that I'm still mad we let go of Bethea while he was still a serviceable safety. He could've been a nice mentor.

Also, these red flags are the kind we want if we have to have red flags.  It's basically just injury and experience related.

It's not like he has off-the-field issues.  I haven't seen any red flags as far as his decision making, so I wouldn't even really call an injury and lack of experience red flags.

Malik is dealing with some "growing pains" right now.  He just needs to heal and get reps.  :gym:

18 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Hooker is not just a top talent, but he is an Andrew Luck of safety prospects. A guy who - along with Jamal Adams - clearly stood out of probably the best safety class of the last decade. Whether he'l become a Luck or a RGIII we will see. Anyhow, at 1/15 he's well worth the risk.

This, the draft is always a risk no matter who or where you pick, got to take a chance sometimes. I am happy with taking a chance on the guy.

Anyone can be a bust but I wouldn't be too concerned with Hooker just yet. Being a 1 year starter isn't a bad thing especially because when he was on the practice squad he picked off the OSU QB's 40 times in a season. A lot of people think he was the reason OSU's secondary was so elite. If you watch the Clemson game, Clemson definitely gameplanned around Hooker and were avoiding throwing deep middle the whole game. They'd much rather test Lattimore and Conley instead of Hooker. So no, I don't think he was a product of the system. If he stays healthy he's gonna be a stud for us especially in a division with Blake Bortles 

18 hours ago, twfish said:

We talk about his interceptions but the majority came from smaller schools with less than stellar QB play.

PastConcernedGoa.gif

Just watch what the man can do. One year starter, and he has great instincts (makes the right read against a 2 man route combo), great range (center field at the 20 to the pylon, basically while the ball is in the air), great ball skills (doesn't mater who's throwing the ball, he has great eyes and hands), and he makes plays.

His teammate CB's were some of the best in this years draft which leads me to ask was he a product of them or where they a product of him or they could have just meshed really well and had an insane amount of talent in their secondary

Again, watch him play. I formed the opinion that he helped his corners more than they helped him. Conley in particular is an aggressive corner, and was allowed to be so by the help from Hooker. No doubt they all helped each other, but it's obvious that Hooker's abilities and traits stand on their own merits.

Another huge red flag is being injured after one season entire season, how will he hold up in this league? 

This is a legit concern. But he reportedly played through a shoulder injury and a hernia late last season -- including the clip above -- and still performed well. He said he opted for surgery so he could make a full recovery. I wouldn't be surprised if he's limited a fair portion of this coming season, but until he has recurring injuries or struggles to stay on the field, I'm not too worried about it.

You didn't mention his tackling, probably the one concerning area of play for me. Not that he can't tackle, but his angles and technique are lacking to begin with, and can get sloppy at times. If he's disciplined -- and healthy -- I think he'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

PastConcernedGoa.gif

Just watch what the man can do. One year starter, and he has great instincts (makes the right read against a 2 man route combo), great range (center field at the 20 to the pylon, basically while the ball is in the air), great ball skills (doesn't mater who's throwing the ball, he has great eyes and hands), and he makes plays.

Again, watch him play. I formed the opinion that he helped his corners more than they helped him. Conley in particular is an aggressive corner, and was allowed to be so by the help from Hooker. No doubt they all helped each other, but it's obvious that Hooker's abilities and traits stand on their own merits.

This is a legit concern. But he reportedly played through a shoulder injury and a hernia late last season -- including the clip above -- and still performed well. He said he opted for surgery so he could make a full recovery. I wouldn't be surprised if he's limited a fair portion of this coming season, but until he has recurring injuries or struggles to stay on the field, I'm not too worried about it.

You didn't mention his tackling, probably the one concerning area of play for me. Not that he can't tackle, but his angles and technique are lacking to begin with, and can get sloppy at times. If he's disciplined -- and healthy -- I think he'll be fine. 

18 hours ago, twfish said:

We talk about his interceptions but the majority came from smaller schools with less than stellar QB play

Yeah didn't Malik get 2 of his picks against a 1st-rd, Heisman-winning, Championship-winning QB?

I think he will be ready to play against pro-QBs, with pro-CBs in front of him.  We get the front-7 clicking, and we might see magic developing this year.

The positive comparisons to Ed Reed from coaches who have been around them both gives one a lot of high hopes. While he has not played a down in the NFL, I believe that the skills and athleticism at the safety position make it more likely he will be a really good player. If you can run, cover and hit you can run, cover and hit. Urban Meyer was very high on his tackling and he's seen a few. I very hopeful about this young man. Go Colts!

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yeah didn't Malik get 2 of his picks against a 1st-rd, Heisman-winning, Championship-winning QB?

I think he will be ready to play against pro-QBs, with pro-CBs in front of him.  We get the front-7 clicking, and we might see magic developing this year.

Actually, he got one, Conley had the other one.  I like everything about that clip except being reminded of that Clemson game.  What a debacle.

Let's all hope he picks off Deshaun a couple more times this year.

Initially I was going for davis or a pass rusher in first but when I saw hooker falling I was thinking noway he falls to us and then when it was our pick and he was there i was banging the table for him lol. Guys woth his instinct are hard to find. That was also why I liked the mlb davis as he had a nose for the football.

Just now, Stephen said:

Initially I was going for davis or a pass rusher in first but when I saw hooker falling I was thinking noway he falls to us and then when it was our pick and he was there I was banging the table for him lol. Guys with his instinct are hard to find. That was also why I liked the mlb davis as he had a nose for the football.

Unless injuries get the best of him, he will be a top 3 centerfield safety in two years. Mark it. And his position is perhaps the least physical. Don't forget that he had the injury but played through it to help the team. His play did not suffer. He could have taken himself out but is being team first says a ton.

His tackling issues were angles, not ability, or aggression. Which isn't surpising from a basketball guy turned football player. Not concerned. He had 30-something picks on the practice squad, but that doesn't allow live hitting. 

He has elite instincts, huge hands, elite athleticism and a willingness to tackle. I legit see a hall of fame player (his stats will be sexy).  Quote me on it. 

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

Let me say that positional value matters, so its fairly hard for me to accept any FS at 15, just like it was hard to accept a C at 18 last year.  The difference between Kelly and Hooker is that Kelly had a deeper resume and displayed greater durability, so I thought of him as a sure-thing pro who would fill position of immediate need, where as the OP has explained some things about Hooker that can detract from thinking he's a sure-thing.  Not to mention FS was not really a need considering Darius Butler was available.

Reach may be too dramatic of a word.  I think Hooker belonged in the 20 to 25 range compared to most pundits who think the 5 to 10 range was appropriate. 

Fair enough.  I just thought "reach" was a bit too much.  I agree safeties aren't typically thought of as high draft picks.  It just so happened that two of them were highly thought of this year.  Of course it also depends on who else is in the draft in comparison to those players.  Either way, they were consensus picks to be near the top of the draft and one went there and the other was taken in the middle of the first, which is why most thought it was good "value", regardless of position.  Only time will tell how the pick turns out.  But I'm betting you hope Ballard is right on this.

In the end, Ballard was looking for more playmakers for this defense.  He's at least trying here and I can't fault him for that.

On 6/27/2017 at 5:07 PM, twfish said:

So let's talk about some of these red flags. He was a one year starter. Which is always concerning. But he put up some good stats and showed tons of athletism. 

That part in bold is very misleading.

Being a one-year wonder is mostly concerning when you've been at the school for 4 or 5 years.

That's not Hooker.

He was only a 3-star recruit to Ohio State.    A program that chruns out NFL talent and especially at DB under Urban Meyer.

Hooker Red-Shirted as a Freshman,  he played mostly special teams as a Sophomore and played them exceptionally well,     and then was a superstar as a Sophomore.     So, I don't think the "one year wonder" label applies to him.

Ballard has been very public about looking for players who make turnovers...   and that's Hooker.   

You might have ranked him in the 20-25 range,  but most evaluators had him in the top-10.     That should tell you just how good he is......

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You might have ranked him in the 20-25 range,  but most evaluators had him in the top-10.     That should tell you just how good he is......

He was easily top 5-10 for me. This whole thing is more of a conversation piece than anything