Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Feeling better about depth this year

coltsfeva

Don't know how this season is going to play out. Key injuries to Luck and Geathers in particular are concerning but there is over 2 months to go before the opener. Another concern is how long it will take the defense to gel. And if someone else gets hurt during camp. Which brings me to the topic: I'm feeling pretty good about the depth this year. Should the starters go down, we're not relying on rookies or guys off the street. I'm not saying we wouldn't miss key starters, should they be injured and we really don't know who the starters will be at this point or how well they will play, but it appears Ballard has provided some decent depth to get a through a few games, if need be. 

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Do you think we are better off this year, then we were last year, even in the secondary (and LB group)?

line backers- yes.  cole stuck around a year too long, mathis was invisible most of the year too, though he had a couple of good games

we need hooker to be a good player pretty quickly or we might be in trouble at safety.  geathers is still hurt, and may never come back

44 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Don't know how this season is going to play out. Key injuries to Luck and Geathers in particular are concerning but there is over 2 months to go before the opener. Another concern is how long it will take the defense to gel. And if someone else gets hurt during camp. Which brings me to the topic: I'm feeling pretty good about the depth this year. Should the starters go down, we're not relying on rookies or guys off the street. I'm not saying we wouldn't miss key starters, should they be injured and we really don't know who the starters will be at this point or how well they will play, but it appears Ballard has provided some decent depth to get a through a few games, if need be. 

I agree halfway with this. We got some nice FA's and some nice overall depth. We also lost some players as well. I think the WR position is much improved, some with the O-Line. The D-Line is pretty beast as well. After that, the Linebackers are relatively weak. A lot of decent depth type players that could break out, but may not. It looks better if Basham plays OLB. The secondary got a lethal injection of top-heavy talent in Wilson and Hooker. However, even with those two, the rest is horrible besides Davis and Geathers. Also Geathers we don't know what's happening with him as far as playing yet. That just shows how big of a need the secondary was before the draft after losing Mike Adams. I think we'll do alright though if Luck is healthy. Some of the FA's and draft picks will definitely do well. Then we build upon it next year, along with a pass rush.

We are dangerously thin at CB. If Davis goes down we have no proven starter... not a single one.

We need Wilson to come in essentially pro ready (which doesn't really happen with CBs) and if Davis goes down we are gonna get shredded unless hooker can be that much of a threat back there....

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree halfway with this. We got some nice FA's and some nice overall depth. We also lost some players as well. I think the WR position is much improved, some with the O-Line. The D-Line is pretty beast as well. After that, the Linebackers are relatively weak. A lot of decent depth type players that could break out, but may not. It looks better if Basham plays OLB. The secondary got a lethal injection of top-heavy talent in Wilson and Hooker. However, even with those two, the rest is horrible besides Davis and Geathers. Also Geathers we don't know what's happening with him as far as playing yet. That just shows how big of a need the secondary was before the draft after losing Mike Adams. I think we'll do alright though if Luck is healthy. Some of the FA's and draft picks will definitely do well. Then we build upon it next year, along with a pass rush.

I wouldn't say Butler and Melvin are horrible.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If they're not horrible, then what starter is? You have to have some standards. You can't just grade on the A, B, C scale.

And which of those 2 do you think will be starting?

Just now, J@son said:

And which of those 2 do you think will be starting?

It'll be butler in the slot, however melvin was starting at times last year on the outside and he was awful. Butler is just a slot corner and horrible on the outside. I was very optimistic about our depth and I get criticized for saying something negative about our one big weakness (which it is).

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It'll be butler in the slot, however melvin was starting at times last year on the outside and he was awful. Butler is just a slot corner and horrible on the outside. I was very optimistic about our depth and I get criticized for saying something negative about our one big weakness (which it is).

I could see butler playing the slot, but calling him garbage as a slot corner is simply untrue.  When healthy, he's played well in the slot.  If health is an issue for you then so be it, but that's no reason to call him garbage.

yes, Melvin started some last year....but you have to know why and that was due to injuries.  Do you think they started the season thinking, "hey, maybe we should sign some street FA to be our starting outside CB?  He'll be depth this year and will only start when forced to due to injuries.

18 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Hopefully an improved D-Line will help the backend...

An improved D-line and a strong pass rush with some sacks would help more than anything.

Having some decent depth would be a vast improvement over what we had last year. We were so banged up last season it was not funny.

30 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Hopefully an improved D-Line will help the backend...

That's what I'm hoping for as well. I can't wait to see Ballard's guys on the field this season. Really looking forward to seeing a different Colt's defense.

54 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If they're not horrible, then what starter is? You have to have some standards. You can't just grade on the A, B, C scale.

Ballard is alert to the defensive back issue and is why Hooker, Quincy and Hairston were drafted. Our defensive backfield will be much improved over last year.

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Man I don't think we see Butlet in the slot.  You got the outside right. He should have never been out there. His days as a CB. are over 

He was awful the last time he played there full time. He gave up 118 QB rating when targeted in the slot in 2015. I think it's obvious he's lost a step. He will play S. He could see a lot of time there depending on injuries. 

I think Morris is the guy we see in the slot this year. Milton could surprise too The staff and Ballard have singled him out. Hairston will need some time. Melvin will be our 4th CB IMO. 

Davis needs to show last year was a fluke. I think the back end has potential but there are a few very big question marks. Interestingly the Chiefs may cut guys like Gaines and Acker.