Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

His Career at a Crossroads, Andrew Luck and the Colts Have Work to Do to Save It *Article*

Restored

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes, but Elway made 3 SB's. Luck hasn't even made 1 yet. He needs to improve in all facets of the game before we can even be considered a contender. Most of the young QB's today have either accomplished more than Luck or are starting to pass him by. He needs to get it together. I know he's been hurt, but there's a lot he needs to improve on.

Not to take anything away from Elway but 2 of those super bowls came at the age of 37 & 38.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not going to get in a ten page fight with you about this. Read the whole thread before commenting on an early post. Whatever of it the mods didn't censor because it didn't fit their agenda.

Wasn't trying to argue lol just saying the Colts D was awful last year...Carr Is a great QB...I would just like to see what Luck can accomplish with a good D & Oline. I'm not attacking you JC :) 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Again you aren't reading everything. Elway made 5 SBs. He made 3 before winning his last two.

My point is Luck has time :) and hopefully the FO will start putting the pieces around him to succeed.

Just now, JTrouble said:

Wasn't trying to argue lol just saying the Colts D was awful last year...Carr Is a great QB...I would just like to see what Luck can accomplish with a good D & Oline. I'm not attacking you JC :) 

I know you're not. I've just got into a lot of scuffles with people who disagree, and nearly all of them are casual fans who have less than 100 posts on here. I just don't think the defense is responsible for most of Luck's struggles. The O-Line, maybe. You can still put up points even if your defense is horrible though. Look at Drew Brees every week. Sorry for lashing out a bit!

Just now, JTrouble said:

My point is Luck has time :) and hopefully the FO will start putting the pieces around him to succeed.

Yeah, the thing that scares me is that it took Peyton 9 seasons to win one, and Luck isn't in Peyton's league at this time. Unless Ballard works a miracle, I'm getting scared we may blow our chance with Luck because of horrible coaching.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I know you're not. I've just got into a lot of scuffles with people who disagree, and nearly all of them are casual fans who have less than 100 posts on here. I just don't think the defense is responsible for most of Luck's struggles. The O-Line, maybe. You can still put up points even if your defense is horrible though. Look at Drew Brees every week. Sorry for lashing out a bit!

No worries JC, all good :)  I'm a long time lurker....I agree Luck needs to cut down on the mistakes and I would like to see some of the play calling changed as well. It took 18 awhile to get it all down as well and he had Marv, Reggie & James on O....

5 minutes ago, JTrouble said:

No worries JC, all good :)  I'm a long time lurker....I agree Luck needs to cut down on the mistakes and I would like to see some of the play calling changed as well. It took 18 awhile to get it all down as well and he had Marv, Reggie & James on O....

True. This draft class gives me a bit of hope. I was higher on it than anyone else on the forum. We'll need another one to build the defense further, but these were mostly guys I liked and 4 of them I had on my board as BPA. I'm giving Luck a break because he's been hurt, but he does need to get it together this year. It's all about developing the young guns and getting Luck healthy. If we do that and posibly get rid of Pagano and let Ballard build his coaching staff, I think Luck will win a SB for us. It has to start happening by next year though.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, the thing that scares me is that it took Peyton 9 seasons to win one, and Luck isn't in Peyton's league at this time. Unless Ballard works a miracle, I'm getting scared we may blow our chance with Luck because of horrible coaching.

So far Ballard looks like a winner. Which is a little bit premature at this point, but he's saying all the right things. I'm liking this years draft, and our FA acquisitions. 

The colts oline line was so horrendous going all the way back to 09. Peyton was a master at getting rid of the ball quickly, but he didn't start out like Andrew has. Andrew has been running for his life nearly his entire career. I think we all have heard of a certain Texans QB (Carr) who got battered to hell by opposing defenses and found an early exit to his career. 

So the fact that Andrew has still remained a top talent says a lot about his toughness. I would at least wait until the end of next year to start worrying about our Colts ability to win at a high level, because Ballard just started, and we still haven't even started training camp. From what I'm reading, this team seems closer than ever, like an actual team. From the oline all the way to the dline, our guys have been spending a lot of time OFF the field together. 

It really honestly reminded me of the movie "remember the titans" where the coach made all the players stay in the same rooms together. 

So I have high hopes for Ballards methods thus far. 

The biggest problem that has remained throughout Andrews career is consistency. But I don't solely blame Andrew for those slow starts (I'm not saying you do). The entire team has been starting games slow, with drops early on that result in 3 and outs. The coaches even have been starting out slow, so if you're worried about anything it should be our coaching staffs inability to scheme to start games fast. But pagano is far from safe. I for one don't want someone worse than our current coach. I have faith that Ballard will lay the hammer down if pagano can't show improvement. 

But, back to Andrew. I have watched Andrew Luck be a highly clutch player. When you need him most, he comes through, and that is great for playoff time. No, he is no Peyton Manning in the regular season, but he is naturally more clutch than Peyton was thus far. I'll take that in any franchise QB. I have more hope than worry, that the colts are finally on the right track, and I'm willing to give it 2 off seasons for it to come together. If it doesn't by year 3 of Ballard, I'll start to worry. 

I was one of the least supportive fans of pagano last year, but I'm willing to see if he can be better this year. The last 2 colts seasons have been tough on me, because I know we have the ability to play at a high level, and we have seen it vs every opponent (even the pats) no matter how small that sample was. 

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

So far Ballard looks like a winner. Which is a little bit premature at this point, but he's saying all the right things. I'm liking this years draft, and our FA acquisitions. 

The colts oline line was so horrendous going all the way back to 09. Peyton was a master at getting rid of the ball quickly, but he didn't start out like Andrew has. Andrew has been running for his life nearly his entire career. I think we all have heard of a certain Texans QB (Carr) who got battered to hell by opposing defenses and found an early exit to his career. 

So the fact that Andrew has still remained a top talent says a lot about his toughness. I would at least wait until the end of next year to start worrying about our Colts ability to win at a high level, because Ballard just started, and we still haven't even started training camp. From what I'm reading, this team seems closer than ever, like an actual team. From the oline all the way to the dline, our guys have been spending a lot of time OFF the field together. 

It really honestly reminded me of the movie "remember the titans" where the coach made all the players stay in the same rooms together. 

So I have high hopes for Ballards methods thus far. 

The biggest problem that has remained throughout Andrews career is consistency. But I don't solely blame Andrew for those slow starts (I'm not saying you do). The entire team has been starting games slow, with drops early on that result in 3 and outs. The coaches even have been starting out slow, so if you're worried about anything it should be our coaching staffs inability to scheme to start games fast. But pagano is far from safe. I for one don't want someone worse than our current coach. I have faith that Ballard will lay the hammer down if pagano can't show improvement. 

But it back to Andrew. I have watched Andrew Luck be a highly clutch player. When you need him most, he comes through, and that is great for playoff time. No, he is no Peyton Manning in the regular season, but he is naturally more clutch than Peyton was thus far. I'll take that in any franchise QB. I have more hope than worry, that the colts are finally on the right track, and I'm willing to give it 2 off seasons for it to come together. If it doesn't by year 3 of Ballard, I'll start to worry. 

I was saying a similar, albeit, shorter version of this in the post above yours. The draft was great IMO. I believe we got 4 starters (Hooker, Wilson, Basham, Mack), 3 depth pieces (Banner, Grover, and Walker), and probably 1 bust (Hairston). If that happens, then the first draft is a success. Luck scares me because it's year 6 and he has basic flaws. He doesn't throw the ball quickly, he doesn't throw well into coverage, and he relies way too much on TY Hilton. The O-Line should be improved though, and so should the defense. The only anchor left is Pagano, but we'll see if a miracle happens and he does well.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I was saying a similar, albeit, shorter version of this in the post above yours. The draft was great IMO. I believe we got 4 starters (Hooker, Wilson, Basham, Mack), 3 depth pieces (Banner, Grover, and Walker), and probably 1 bust (Hairston). If that happens, then the first draft is a success. Luck scares me because it's year 6 and he has basic flaws. He doesn't throw the ball quickly, he doesn't throw well into coverage, and he relies way too much on TY Hilton. The O-Line should be improved though, and so should the defense. The only anchor left is Pagano, but we'll see if a miracle happens and he does well.

Lol, sorry, I just like hearing myself talk :thmup:

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

Lol, sorry, I just like hearing myself talk :thmup:

Don't be sorry. I love hearing intelligent conversation. You are a good poster with solid thoughts, speak however long you want. If I can learn from you, then it's worth reading 100 times out of 100.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Don't be sorry. I love hearing intelligent conversation. You are a good poster with solid thoughts, speak however long you want. If I can learn from you, then it's worth reading 100 times out of 100.

I appreciate that

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think Ballard has much vested in the current coaches though he is obligated to say the right things, and knows the tumultous previous GM-coach relationship that Pagano endured. If he does not see the desired results or the direction of the product on the field, we could be looking at a different set of coaches soon, IMO.

We could barely make the playoffs at 9-7 and (say) we left a lot of plays on the field with bad coaching and/or play calling, but do not win a playoff game, I am not so certain the coaches would be back even though it might seem like a methodical improvement over last year.

A big reason why it took more years with Peyton was we finally got the man CBs we needed in Hayden and Jackson, and that allowed us to play with more options on D, and then came Bethea to pair up with a healthy Sanders at the right time. Polian was too scared to play free agency, and neglected special teams because he overpaid homegrown talent and the roster was truly never 40+ deep in quality, just in quantity. Actually, a big part of our SB run was Adam Vinatieri, a free agent, and Booger, a free agent. So many close playoff losses in the Peyton era where I felt the D or special teams could have made a difference, IMO (and a lot of close game wins for Brady on the flip side as well, had to throw that in :)).

I feel Ballard seems like the GM who will make quick adjustments to what is prevalent around the league to play a winning brand of football without excessive reliance on the QB and the offense, and won't be scared to play FA if the fit is right, and will build all phases of the team. Hence, I do feel it will come earlier than year 9 for Luck.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

True. This draft class gives me a bit of hope. I was higher on it than anyone else on the forum. We'll need another one to build the defense further, but these were mostly guys I liked and 4 of them I had on my board as BPA. I'm giving Luck a break because he's been hurt, but he does need to get it together this year. It's all about developing the young guns and getting Luck healthy. If we do that and posibly get rid of Pagano and let Ballard build his coaching staff, I think Luck will win a SB for us. It has to start happening by next year though.

I'm not sure how you know you were higher on the dratt than anyone else. This thread is full of confusing statements.  I to am very pleased with this class and the FA signings. 

Ballard absolutely hit BPA with Hooker Wilson Basham IMO(the 3 most important picks). Wilson was thought to be a top CB if not the top before everyone ran around in shorts. He could have easily been a 1st rounder. I was probably higher on Basham then some. I owe Krunk for putting him in my head. I think Mack and Walker were right there as well. They were at least BPA in a position of need. I really like the Stewart pick but think he'd have been there in the 5th but who knows. Hairston I think could surprise you. 

The one that lost me was the Banner pick early in the 4th. I thought it was a bit early for him. I was sure we'd grab one of the CB's to handle the slot. Kazee is who I thought Ballard had his eye on. The kid was a turnover machine at SDSU. Elder and Desmond King were still on the board as well. I think any could of challenged to time immediately. 

I thought we might move up for Johnson or Lawson. I was surprised they were there Day 3. I really like Johnson at G but who knows the low down on his medicals. The extra pick was nice. It's a very strong draft to add to a very strong FA group. I'm a bit more than hopeful.  

tt is the first draft in a long time I was saying come on let so and so last a few more picks. They did and we actually made the pick instead of some head scratcher. I love what  Ballard has done on paper now the coach's need to make it happen. 

23 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's a lie. Peyton Manning may have the most 4th quarter comebacks of all time, but that's because of the sheer number of games he played. Most of his games he dominated from start to finish, and as someone who has the username Colt18, you should know that. In fact, you do, you just don't think I do, so you're playing the dumb role. Also, for all those great QB's struggling in the first half of games, more times than not, they are dominating games and leading their team to victory. Luck doesn't dominate at all, and you know that good and well.

It's your logic. 

According to you, Peyton Manning stat padded in the 06 AFCCG lmao 

Luck has had games where he dominated from start to finish, don't act dumb.

Also, it's absolute nonsense for a "respected" poster to call me a casual fan because I had less than 100 posts. Keep the condescension to yourself.

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just how do you know that Ballard isn't happy with Pagano? Just because you are not doesn't mean he his. This taking for granted that Pagano is gone after this season is way too premature and you sound like a broken record. Maybe it would be a good idea to wait and see before you draw conclusions?

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Just how do you know that Ballard isn't happy with Pagano? Just because you are not doesn't mean he his. This taking for granted that Pagano is gone after this season is way too premature and you sound like a broken record. Maybe it would be a good idea to wait and see before you draw conclusions?

Do you really want me to unload on you? I'm not in the mood for the same song and dance again. You know my answer, and I know you are a Colts fan, not a Pagano fan. So drop it.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Do you really want me to unload on you? I'm not in the mood for the same song and dance again. You know my answer, and I know you are a Colts fan, not a Pagano fan. So drop it.

Unload on me??  That would be fitting coming from you it seems.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, you are a magnet for arguments seeing how you try and defend every player and coach on the team from each comment said about them on this forum.

So what? Why do you care? If it bothers you that much there is such a thing as an ignore. You think by throwing a threat at me that you are going to unload on me really matters to me?

Go right on ahead and show your color.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

So what? Why do you care? If it bothers you that much there is such a thing as an ignore. You think by throwing a threat at me that you are going to unload on me really matters to me?

Go right on ahead and show your color.

There's no reason to say anything in most cases. You aren't going to change people's minds, you are just going to agitate them. I was saying how much I liked the draft and looking forward to the season and future, and you take a positive and turn it into an altercation. You should know by now I don't like Pagano. I don't know why you're still questioning me on it. Do you expect me to change my opinion on him before he actually coaches this year? It's not going to happen. You have no leverage to tell anyone Pagano is a positive to this team right now.

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's no reason to say anything in most cases. You aren't going to change people's minds, you are just going to agitate them. I was saying how much I liked the draft and looking forward to the season and future, and you take a positive and turn it into an altercation. You should know by now I don't like Pagano. I don't know why you're still questioning me on it. Do you expect me to change my opinion on him before he actually coaches this year? It's not going to happen. You have no leverage to tell anyone Pagano is a positive to this team right now.

No leverage? I don't need none. He is the head coach. Just because you and a few others don't like Pagano does not mean everybody agrees with you.

It has already been established the players like playing for Pagano, Irsay likes him and even Ballard has nothing but good things to say about him. The facts speak for themselves and for you to ignore them is on you.

Yes you did have a couple of positive things to say but only by ending with a negative that is way too premature to call.

I don't have a crystal ball but neither do you.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

No leverage? I don't need none. He is the head coach. Just because you and a few others don't like Pagano does not mean everybody agrees with you.

It has already been established the players like playing for Pagano, Irsay likes him and even Ballard has nothing but good things to say about him. The facts speak for themselves and for you to ignore them is on you.

Yes you did have a couple of positive things to say but only by ending with a negative that is way too premature to call.

I don't have a crystal ball but neither do you.

You know good and well I don't like Pagano. I'm the last person you will change my mind on about that as of now. Maybe if we go deep in the playoffs with him I'll change my mind. As of now, I hate him. I also want to ask you, what do you hope to achieve by commenting on everyone's opinion? At best you'll get a civil response or a disagreement. At worst, people will hurl insults at you because they are agitated and you will get offended. You have to let things go even if you disagree with them. I let a lot of things go here when I disagree with people. You may have a different opinion than other people, but you can't force them to have your opinion, and trying to force arguments won't get it done. You are essentially baiting them into arguments, which is against the rules on this forum. Just a little friendly advice. Also, I'm sorry for getting mad at you. I've had a bad day, and I'm tired of you questioning me about Pagano all the time. It's the same song and dance, and I don't want to go through it again.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You know good and well I don't like Pagano. I'm the last person you will change my mind on about that as of now. Maybe if we go deep in the playoffs with him I'll change my mind. As of now, I hate him. I also want to ask you, what do you hope to achieve by commenting on everyone's opinion? At best you'll get a civil response or a disagreement. At worst, people will hurl insults at you because they are agitated and you will get offended. You have to let things go even if you disagree with them. I let a lot of things go here when I disagree with people. You may have a different opinion than other people, but you can't force them to have your opinion, and trying to force arguments won't get it done. You are essentially baiting them into arguments, which is against the rules on this forum. Just a little friendly advice. Also, I'm sorry for getting mad at you. I've had a bad day, and I'm tired of you questioning me about Pagano all the time. It's the same song and dance, and I don't want to go through it again.

Nobody is trying to force anything. That's the point with you. Just because I don't agree with your opinion and state that you think I am trying to force you into changing your mind. I don't care one way of another.

You bait yourself by getting all bent out of shape over a difference of opinion. Then you threaten me with your going to unload on me?? Like I said, there is an ignore switch if all you can do is let all this become personal.  I have no clue why you even care what my opinion is. 

When you make comments in an open forum you are subject for responses and comments. It's part of it and letting it get personal serves no purpose.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nobody is trying to force anything. That's the point with you. Just because I don't agree with your opinion and state that you think I am trying to force you into changing your mind. I don't care one way of another.

You bait yourself by getting all bent out of shape over a difference of opinion. Then you threaten me with your going to unload on me?? Like I said, there is an ignore switch if all you can do is let all this become personal.  I have no clue why you even care what my opinion is. 

When you make comments in an open forum you are subject for responses and comments. It's part of it and letting it get personal serves no purpose.

Actually, you are bent out of shape over a different opinion, that's why you comment on everyone's opinion when they talk poorly of a Colts player or coach, because you are bent out of shape over a difference of opinion. You rarely, if ever, see me commenting on your opinions, because I'm willing to accept that you have a different opinion. You just aren't willing to accept that about other people, and it's not just me who gets annoyed with it. You also didn't answer my question about what you hope to achieve by it.

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Actually, you are bent out of shape over a different opinion, that's why you comment on everyone's opinion when they talk poorly of a Colts player or coach, because you are bent out of shape over a difference of opinion. You rarely, if ever, see me commenting o your opinions, because I'm willing to accept that you have a different opinion. You just aren't willing to accept that about other people, and it's not just me who gets annoyed with it. You also didn't answer my question about what you hope to achieve by it.

You never answered my question either. Why do you care what my opinion is? Why does it bother you so much?

• Nadine locked this topic