Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

His Career at a Crossroads, Andrew Luck and the Colts Have Work to Do to Save It *Article*

Restored

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717283-his-career-at-a-crossroads-andrew-luck-and-the-colts-have-work-to-do-to-save-it?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Good article that points out some of the various things that need to be done for the Colts and Luck to take the next step forward. One of the changes obviously needs to be with the offensive philosophy and play-calling as well. Time will tell if this happens.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article.  Couple points - they're on Chud about adapting his offense.  Obviously, the O could be better but they were top 10 last year.

As far as his 'career at a crossroad', that's a good headline but kind of meaningless. He had a great season in 16, clearly the reason the team was 8-8 with that defense.  And from what we're seeing, the O line looks to improve again this year.  Having a better line will translate into Luck having the time to make better decisions.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Good article.  Couple points - they're on Chud about adapting his offense.  Obviously, the O could be better but they were top 10 last year.

As far as his 'career at a crossroad', that's a good headline but kind of meaningless. He had a great season in 16, clearly the reason the team was 8-8 with that defense.  And from what we're seeing, the O line looks to improve again this year.  Having a better line will translate into Luck having the time to make better decisions.

It was the defense, the play calling (think that last stupid butt play against the Jags last season), and Pagano (gifting Detroit a time out in the first game last season).

They all need to change.

Chud better call plays to maximize the talents we have and scheme our wide outs open consistently. Our offensive play calling has been very hit and miss from a consistency point of view. This article points it out well. Our wide outs are not going win many 1-on-1 battles unless they are coached to do so or schemed open.

Our D, the only way to go is up because it was flat out stinky.

Solid article, terrible headline. Luck's in the 2nd year of a 6-year contract, and just getting ready to hit his prime, he's not "at a crossroads." QBs who's careers ARE at a crossroads: Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Blake Bortles.

Luck will smash teams once the OL & defense catches up to his level of play. I'm not sure we can say that about the other 3 guys.

17 minutes ago, colt18 said:

It was the defense, the play calling (think that last stupid butt play against the Jags last season), and Pagano (gifting Detroit a time out in the first game last season).

They all need to change.

I probably wasn't clear.  What I was trying to say was that with that defense, it took a great season by Luck to win as many as 8 games. 

I'll also complement Pagano and the coaching staff.  Given what they had to work with on defense, IMO it's commendable they did as well as they did.  A couple stellar performances included (Jets/Vikings).  And the D wasn't at blame in the second Texans loss.

Kind of an alarmist article, especially the headline. To me, the point is we need to run a better offense to make life easier on the QB (where have I heard that before???) and Luck needs to make better decisions when receivers aren't open (also a commonly held belief). 

Just got done watching a few of the highlights from last year. Luck was amazing and at times was pressured and still made a great play. At other times, he threw an ill-advised pass. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with protection, an effective run game and defense. Elway never won a SB until the Broncos got Terrell Davis. As so many have said, play-calling is key. 

29 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Just got done watching a few of the highlights from last year. Luck was amazing and at times was pressured and still made a great play. At other times, he threw an ill-advised pass. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with protection, an effective run game and defense. Elway never won a SB until the Broncos got Terrell Davis. As so many have said, play-calling is key. 

Yes, but Elway made 3 SB's. Luck hasn't even made 1 yet. He needs to improve in all facets of the game before we can even be considered a contender. Most of the young QB's today have either accomplished more than Luck or are starting to pass him by. He needs to get it together. I know he's been hurt, but there's a lot he needs to improve on.

33 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes, but Elway made 3 SB's. Luck hasn't even made 1 yet. He needs to improve in all facets of the game before we can even be considered a contender. Most of the young QB's today have either accomplished more than Luck or are starting to pass him by. He needs to get it together. I know he's been hurt, but there's a lot he needs to improve on.

Who are these young QBs that have accomplished more than Luck?  

Just now, Smonroe said:

Who are these young QBs that have accomplished more than Luck?  

Cam Newton has made a SB, Russell Wilson has made 2 SB's and won one, Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr are arguably as good as Luck now, Mariota and Winston are quickly getting better. Luck is no longer the best of the young QB's anymore, he's quickly becoming "one of the guys".

32 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Cam Newton has made a SB, Russell Wilson has made 2 SB's and won one, Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr are arguably as good as Luck now, Mariota and Winston are quickly getting better. Luck is no longer the best of the young QB's anymore, he's quickly becoming "one of the guys".

Andrew Luck has made a AFC Championship Game, reason it wasn't a SB was because he had to go through the Pats. I am almost Certain Cam doesn't beat that Pats team either. Cam made a SB but his road to the SB wasn't as tough. If you want to give me Russell's resume is better I cant debate that but Luck and Cam's are pretty even, both have had 1 career year so far, Luck's being 2014 where he threw for 40 TD's and 4700 Yards going 11-5 and Cam where his team went 15-1 and he won MVP. Cam has also had a couple of losing seasons where Luck hasn't. Regarding Carr and Cousins, neither have won a Playoff game, until they do they shouldn't be rated higher than Luck.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew Luck has made a AFC Championship Game, reason it wasn't a SB was because he had to go through the Pats. I am almost Certain Cam doesn't beat that Pats team either. Cam made a SB but beat his road to the SB wasn't as tough. If you want to give me Russell's resume is better I cant debate that but Luck and Cam's are pretty even, both have had 1 career year so far, Luck's being 2014 where he threw for 40 TD's and 4700 Yards going 11-5 and Cam where his team went 15-1 and he won MVP. Cam has also had a couple of losing seasons where Luck hasn't. Regarding Carr and Cousins, neither have won a Playoff game, until they do they shouldn't be rated higher than Luck.

You can't say Cam and Luck's resumes are even. Cam won an MVP and made a SB, that's more than Luck has done in his career so far. I will agree they are probably equal QBs, but Cam has accomplished more, and that's what question I was answering. Cousins and Carr haven't won a playoff game, but Carr would of easily crushed the Texans had we not injured him. Cousins has choked, I'll admit that. The point I'm making, however, is those 4 QBs are all on Luck's level playing-wise, and Wilson and Cam have accomplished more than him. Mariota and Wilson are improving as QBs fast as well. They won't be on Luck's level for a while, but they can get to the playoffs IMO if they play to their potential. The separation between Luck and these guys is either gone or closing, and it's very upsetting.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You can't say Cam and Luck's resumes are even. Cam won an MVP and made a SB, that's more than Luck has done in his career so far. I will agree they are probably equal QBs, but Cam has accomplished more, and that's what question I was answering. Cousins and Carr haven't won a playoff game, but Carr would of easily crushed the Texans had we not injured him. Cousins has choked, I'll admit that. The point I'm making, however, is those 4 QBs are all on Luck's level playing-wise, and Wilson and Cam have accomplished more than him. Mariota and Wilson are improving as QBs fast as well. They won't be on Luck's level for a while, but they can get to the playoffs IMO if they play to their potential. The separation between Luck and these guys is either gone or closing, and it's very upsetting.

On paper Cam has accomplished more obviously with the MVP, him making a SB can be taken 2 ways because his path was a lot easier than Luck's 2014 path and Cam stunk it up in the SB. Luck had to go through Denver and NE to get to the SB. Luck put up MVP type numbers in 2014 as well. I have seen guys with lesser numbers than 40 TD's and 4700 Yards win MVP. Anyways Carr is Very Good but I want him see him in the Playoffs. Cousins, Mariota, Winston = Good but have a ways to go before catching Luck. I don't see that happening because the Colts cant be any worse than last season and I see them getting better this season and seasons to come now that we have Ballard.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On paper Cam has accomplished more obviously with the MVP, him making a SB can be taken 2 ways because his path was a lot easier than Luck's 2014 path and Cam stunk it up in the SB. Luck had to go through Denver and NE to get to the SB. Luck put up MVP type numbers in 2014 as well. I have seen guys with lesser numbers than 40 TD's and 4700 Yards win MVP. Anyways Carr is Very Good but I want him see him in the Playoffs. Cousins, Mariota, Winston = Good but have a ways to go before catching Luck. I don't see that happening because the Colts cant be any worse than last season and I see them getting better this season and seasons to come now that we have Ballard.

It doesn't matter that Cam stunk it up in the SB, what mattered is that Cam made it with his opportunity and we blew it with ours. Our path was tougher, but we failed still. I'd trade paths with Cam there anyday. Making it to the SB and even losing it would be a big accomplishment for Luck in his third year. The year he had was tremendous, but the goal wasn't met. Also, losing seasons would of made up for Luck starting out great in his first three years and not being able to build properly around him instead of being perfectly mediocre. Don't say we can't be any worse, we can always be worse, and there are always teams who are worse than the previous year. If Luck isn't 100%, that could be us. The draft helped a ton, but now it's time to put a run together. Luckily, we have a qualified GM now, as you said.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It doesn't matter that Cam stunk it up in the SB, what mattered is that Cam made it with his opportunity and we blew it with ours. Our path was tougher, but we failed still. I'd trade paths with Cam there anyday. Making it to the SB and even losing it would be a big accomplishment for Luck in his third year. The year he had was tremendous, but the goal wasn't met. Also, losing seasons would of made up for Luck starting out great in his first three years and not being able to build properly around him instead of being perfectly mediocre. Don't say we can't be any worse, we can always be worse, and there are always teams who are worse than the previous year. If Luck isn't 100%, that could be us. The draft helped a ton, but now it's time to put a run together. Luckily, we have a qualified GM now, as you said.

Well yeah if Luck isn't 100% of course we can be worse. I am counting on him being 100% and there for opening day so if that happens I would place a bet we don't go worse than 8-8.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well yeah if Luck isn't 100% of course we can be worse. I am counting on him being 100% and there for opening day so if that happens I would place a bet we don't go worse than 8-8.

I hope he's 100% as well. No one on this forum was higher on this year's draft than me. Combined with some solid FA's, I think we have a chance to make some noise if Luck is healthy and fixed his flaws. The team should be much improved anyway.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With excellent defenses and a superior running game though, youngblood.....

1 minute ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

That is a great point, man the Defense Wilson had in 2013 is among the best I ever seen. They made Peyton look bad! Cam's Defense in 2015 was scoring TD's early in games and putting games away early. That can make any QB look great. The 70's Steelers were a great example of that, all Terry Bradshaw had to do was not mess up and he won lmao 

Just now, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

That's just the name of the game. Russell Wilson was a third round pick, so technically he was supposed to be much worse than Luck or not even make it. Lot of excuses you can make either way. Luck was supposed to be the best QB prospect since John Elway, and it's been a bit disappointing that he has so many basic flaws still and struggles vs most teams early.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a great point, man the Defense Wilson had in 2013 is among the best I ever seen. They made Peyton look bad! Cam's Defense in 2015 was scoring TD's early in games and putting games away early. That can make any QB look great. The 70's Steelers were a great example of that, all Terry Bradshaw had to do was not mess up and he won lmao 

Thank you for understanding my point!

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's just the name of the game. Russell Wilson was a third round pick, so technically he was supposed to be much worse than Luck or not even make it. Lot of excuses you can make either way. Luck was supposed to be the best QB prospect since John Elway, and it's been a bit disappointing that he has so many basic flaws still and struggles vs most teams early.

Top Defenses win in the playoffs and teams that pound the ball...it is a formula that has been relevant for years....

Just now, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Top Defenses win in the playoffs....it is a formula that has been relevant for years....

Then blame Irsay, he never put a defense around Peyton, and we've yet to attempt to do the same for Luck until Ballard arrived.

I'll give you Russell, but his success is more team. Cam is older, none of the others you mentioned has surpassed Luck.  

Anyone will tell you he's done the most with the least.  

Then blame Irsay, he never put a defense around Peyton, and we've yet to attempt to do the same for Luck until Ballard arrived.

I honestly blame Bill Polian but I see why Polian drafted the way he did because Peyton was just one of those rare talents that I am sure he thought could win 3 or 4 SB's even with a mediocre Defense. We didn't but we still won 1 and had tremendous success. Luck isn't as great as Peyton is, at least not yet. I think with Luck we need a Top 10 Defense to win the SB. I think Luck can do it without a Great Defense but it has to be Top 10/around 10 = Good to Very Good.

We're doomed. Polian, do something..:)

I'd say at a minimum we're at a point where if this rebuild/GM doesn't work, we can start getting nervous that we might not win one with Luck. Could still happen even when he's older because good QBs keep teams competitive.

I think Ballard is going to be the guy to get us into a Colts renaissance, simply looking at the teams he's been with and their philosophies (Chi/Kc...solid D franchise's almost yearly).

30 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Yeah I wouldn't really consider 4200+ yards w 33 TDs, 13 INTs, 341 rushing yards with 2x TDs just "one of those guys." Or becoming one of them. 

haha 

I guess everyone has their opinions though and if that's not good enough for some, so be it.  

:dunno:

That being said though, it will require 5000+ yards, 45 TDs and 10 INTs, 2500+ total rush yards from the O, 40+ ppg for them to be remote contenders if the defense is going to continue to be bottom feeders.  Even if they do manage to make it to the AFC championship knowing the Pats, Raiders or whoever will probably score 40-50 points is a bummer. . . . . .  D it up!!!!!!!!!!!  

9 minutes ago, IinD said:

We're doomed. Polian, do something..:)

I'd say at a minimum we're at a point where if this rebuild/GM doesn't work, we can start getting nervous that we might not win one with Luck. Could still happen even when he's older because good QBs keep teams competitive.

I think Ballard is going to be the guy to get us into a Colts renaissance, simply looking at the teams he's been with and their philosophies (Chi/Kc...solid D franchise's almost yearly).

I am not panicking yet. If we keep staying around 8-8 and cant compete with the big boys by Andrew's 8th season then I will start to panic. Peyton didn't go to or win 1 until year 9. So I am still not panicking.

4 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I wouldn't really consider 4200+ yards w 33 TDs, 13 INTs, 341 rushing yards with 2x TDs just "one of those guys." Or becoming one of them. 

haha 

I guess everyone has their opinions though and if that's not good enough for some, so be it.  

:dunno:

That being said though, it will require 5000+ yards, 45 TDs and 10 INTs, 2500+ total rush yards from the O, 40+ ppg for them to be remote contenders if the defense is going to continue to be bottom feeders.  Even if they do manage to make it to the AFC championship knowing the Pats, Raiders or whoever will probably score 40-50 points is a bummer. . . . . .  D it up!!!!!!!!!!!  

Neither would until you realize that it is easier to be patient when you have a great defense and can run the ball effectively.....

4 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Neither would until you realize that it is easier to be patient when you have a great defense and can run the ball effectively.....

Ohh yeah, it would make a world of difference if the D can even reach top 15.  It would take so much stress off Luck if he knew he didn't have to put up 30 points to win a game, every game. 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not panicking yet. If we keep staying around 8-8 and cant compete with the big boys by Andrew's 8th season then I will start to panic. Peyton didn't go to or win 1 until year 9. So I am still not panicking.

That's my logic as well. Teams can also go from garbage to competitive pretty quickly so even if a move or two don't workout you can still recover. And at worst, Irsay can try to buy a team for a year or two to win one with Luck before it has to be blown up when Luck retires so we are still in the SAFE range of he doesn't get hurt of course.

I really hate the argument about SB wins or appearances being a stat that people use to argue QB greatness. Unless a QB literally carries his team through the playoffs and SB, then I really don't want to hear it. 

Wilson had arguably one of the best defenses in the league when he won his SB, and a top defense when he lost the other. 

Luck has had arguably one of the worst supporting cast than any QB in the league and still made it to the AFCCG. 

If you want to compare QBs, then compare stats. Making it to, and winning the SB, isn't a stat. It's the point of the entire league. 

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

That's my logic as well. Teams can also go from garbage to competitive pretty quickly so even if a move or two don't workout you can still recover. And at worst, Irsay can try to buy a team for a year or two to win one with Luck before it has to be blown up when Luck retires so we are still in the SAFE range of he doesn't get hurt of course.

Yeah I honestly have always thought Matt Ryan was just a Good QB, maybe Very Good at best but never thought he would get to a SB and he just did and nearly beat the Patriots. In the NFL anything can happen. He just did it in year 9

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I really hate the argument about SB wins or appearances being a stat that people use to argue QB greatness. Unless a QB literally carries his team through the playoffs and SB, then I really don't want to hear it. 

Wilson had arguably one of the best defenses in the league when he won his SB, and a top defense when he lost the other. 

Luck has had arguably one of the worst supporting cast than any QB in the league and still made it to the AFCCG. 

If you want to compare QBs, then compare stats. Making it to, and winning the SB, isn't a stat. It's the point of the entire league. 

I gave you a LIKE but that is the way it is regarding most people. They weigh Championships more than any other thing. Is it fair probably not? Dan Marino gets a raw deal on every list made because he never won at least 1. To me Marino is in my Top 10 though, Plunkett won 2 and isn't even close to my Top 10 for example.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No, they aren't...

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Stat wise, yes they are, and Carr dismantled us when he played us last year. Better come up with a better argument than "no they aren't".

Stat wise, no they aren't. Carr dismantled a terrible defense, I'm not impressed. 

Luck 2016: 

346 /545  63.5  4240  282.7  7.8   31  13

Cousins 2016:

406 /606  67.0  4917  307.3  8.1    25  12

Carr 2016:

357/ 560  63.8  3937  262.5  7.0    28 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-this-season/

3. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts

2016 overall grade: 91.8

For years, PFF analysts stated that Luck was not playing at a level among the top-five quarterbacks in the league, as many had suggested. In 2016, though, he actually is. Coming off a disastrous 2015 that saw him rank near the bottom in every major statistical category, Luck has revamped his game from a high risk/reward passer to one much more willing to take what the defense gives. His 10 interceptions are not indicative of his new style, as we’ve charged him with only 12 turnover-worthy plays, so those bad passes are being converted into picks at a much higher ratio than most quarterbacks. Luck owns the fifth-lowest percentage of turnover-worthy throws this season after ranking in the middle of the pack or near the bottom of the league in previous years. Unfortunately for Luck, the Colts’ roster has limited them this season, and even in his best year, they may not get a chance to make a playoff run. He’s been under pressure on a league-high 43.8 percent of dropbacks, but he’s managed a passer rating of 76.3 on those plays, good for 10th in the league.

Luck just had the best season of his career and Carr, much less Cousins, is not on his level.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/5/29/15707456/andrew-luck-was-indeed-a-top-5-qb-in-2016-colts

In the end, among the 26 qualifying quarterbacks, Luck finished in the top-five in the league in three of the major categories – air yards (4th), passing yards compared to games played (5th) and his production in the red zone (3rd). Luck was also tied for seventh in both comparing touchdown-to-interception percentage and net adjusted passing yards per attempt, and was in seventh alone in third down production on passes with 6 yards or more to go to achieve first downs.

Naturally there are other categories in which Luck excelled amongst quarterbacks with at least 300 pass attempts. He threw 61 passes of at least 20 yards last year, good for 4th in the league, and was also 4th in the league in first down percentage, 9th in passer rating and 5th in passing touchdowns. Not a bad year, huh…