Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patty Mac takes more shots at grigson

CR91

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think people who work for "praise" maybe lack satisfaction in other parts of there life, maybe family or socially, so their career may be a bigger part of their identity and happiness then people like me...who go to work for a paycheck and not to form personal relationships.  Nothing wrong with either, but it seems Grigson was the cold hearted business analyst who treated players like pieces of meat and who didn't relate well to the more gregarious and warm hearted types of employees.  A successful manager needs to be able to relate to both types.  Both praise and criticism may be taken differently depending upon the person being spoken to.

I'm sure I wouldn't like what he said if he said it to me.  But I also think I would have gotten over it 5 years later.

As a general rule, beware of managers who want to praise you, shake your hand, constantly tell you how important you are.  They may be simply trying to provide you with the emotional satisfaction of "meaning and significance" to the organization....

...instead of giving you a raise.  Its a popular tactic to keep people happy without actually paying them.  

Me...I'll take the money and skip the sweet talk, thanks. 

You seem focused only on Grigson's reported comment to McAfree.

According to the story linked in this thread,  both the assigning of the franchise tag to McAfee PLUS the later 5-year, $14 Million dollar deal that he eventually signed were done by Irsay and not Grigson.    

I don't think Pat is fixed only on a singular comment by Grigson,  but on a multi-years long series of moves that clearly demonstrated that Grigson was not a fan of McAfee's and clearly wasn't willing to go as far as Irsay was to retain him.

I think this is much bigger than you're portraying....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You seem focused only on Grigson's reported comment to McAfree.

According to the story linked in this thread,  both the assigning of the franchise tag to McAfee PLUS the later 5-year, $14 Million dollar deal that he eventually signed were done by Irsay and not Grigson.    

I don't think Pat is fixed only on a singular comment by Grigson,  but on a multi-years long series of moves that clearly demonstrated that Grigson was not a fan of McAfee's and clearly wasn't willing to go as far as Irsay was to retain him.

I think this is much bigger than you're portraying....

Indeed, I was focused on the comment about him being the lowest cog in the machine, so to speak.  That occurred when Pat was merely average/above average.  

Anything that occurred after that conversation doesn't mean Grigson's specific opinion of him being the lowest cog still applied.  Grigson may have just didn't not wanted to spend the kind of money that was eventually spent on a punter.

On 6/20/2017 at 3:13 PM, Superman said:

Me too. I always wondered about keeping Freeney...

Yeah me too. I wonder if that factored into him letting go of Grigson (among the many other reasons). Maybe he realized that Grigson was making too many decisions that he had to overrule or step in on.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, Kyle said:

Grigson was obviously a *.  I know most bosses aren't perfect....but it would be really hard to work your butt off to be your absolute best for a guy like that to get all the credit in the end.  I believe that he was KILLING our team chemistry and was for sure not doing anything good for our locker room.

I like the personnel changes we have made, love our draft, but the biggest move we made in the offseason was getting Ryan Grigson away from our facilities.  Not only was he not doing anything to make us better, he was making players worse.

IMO... if Pat would not have had to play for Grigson for a few years, he would not have gotten burnt out on football and would still be our punter. 

Pat was having injury problems, not burnt out on football. The Colts made him a millionaire so why should he risk more injuries?

5 hours ago, Restored said:

Yeah me too. I wonder if that factored into him letting go of Grigson (among the many other reasons). Maybe he realized that Grigson was making too many decisions that he had to overrule or step in on.

In the Freeney case, whoever decided to keep him and pay him $14m made the wrong decision, IMO. 

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pat was having injury problems, not burnt out on football. The Colts made him a millionaire so why should he risk more injuries?

for the love of the game  :rock:

On 6/20/2017 at 3:11 PM, Superman said:

There was no reason to want Pat gone back then, but he wasn't the All Pro punter he eventually became. He always had a strong leg, but he wasn't great at ball placement (Polian brought this up in 2011, even though he shouldn't have been talking about the punter at all when his team was 2-14, which had virtually nothing to do with the punter), and it wasn't until 2014 that the Colts started coming up with different ways to take advantage of Pat's ability with the onside kicks and whatnot. He was voted All Pro in 2014, also.

It wouldn't be surprising to see a new GM and coaching staff want to bring in a new punter right away. It's not shocking to me that Grigson might have wanted to replace him. It is pretty surprising that he talked to him so disrespectfully, which doesn't seem to be warranted in any way. 

While it's true pat wasn't seen as the superstar he would be later but people knew going into 2012 Pat was pretty darn good.  I also remember the more you followed the Colts the more you realized that.  Surely the new GM should have been able to see Pat was pretty talented and what he could become, that's his job after all.  

I'd also point out as many holes as Grigson had to fill going into 2012 he didn't need to add another one by getting ride of a pretty good punter.  Those were clues that should have told Irsay back then that Grigson was in over his head.  I am not saying he should have fired Grigson over how he treated Pat but I am sure Irsay remembered that when it came time to let him go and Grigson's lack of vision on Pat might have comeback to haunt him a little bit.  

Just for the record I am also not saying Grigson was only fired for how he treated Pat.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

for the love of the game  :rock:

I guess Pat's love for the spotlights and being a so called comedian had more love for him.

If that's the case his humor is going to wear out fast if he don't come up with something other than ragging on Grigson.

If that was legit the first conversation Grigson and Pat had, then I see no problem with Pat telling the story. 

He's told the story multiple times now. It's being egged on over and over again, because it's popular to hate on Ryan Grigson, so he's playing to the crowd and they're eating it up. I'm definitely over it already.

If what Pat is saying is true, I don't blame him one bit for disliking Grigson and wanting everyone to know why. To hear him tell it, Grigson treated other people poorly as well, but he hasn't gone into detail about any of that. But it's definitely played out, IMO.

Played out? Yes. But it's good to hear the players side of it so that we as fans know the true story. And judging from the Twitter reactions from other players the day he got fired, this isn't hard to believe. However, I think only the fans are in mind when he makes statements like this. It's not like this is a new thing. A bunch of guys "open " up about other players, coaches, etc... after they leave a team or the game itself.

We've heard how some of Gruden's players feel about him. We heard from Vikings players how they felt about Leslie Frazier. We've heard how Bucs players felt about Greg Schiano. So I don't really think Pat is egging this on because it's popular to hate on Grigson. I think he's egging this one because he knows fans hated Grigson, but he did too. But now like many other former players, he's a liberty to explain WHY. If anything this helps rationalize the disdain for Grigson instead of it looking like just an angry fanbase who unfairly hated a guy because he didn't deliver. This kind of information (if true) puts to bed the idea that Grigson wasn't as bad as WE as fans made it seem. If anything it shows that it was far worse than we thought. I think he's trying to educate fans and put us in the loop which I can respect. Wayne did the same thing, although not as much.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Played out? Yes. But it's good to hear the players side of it so that we as fans know the true story. And judging from the Twitter reactions from other players the day he got fired, this isn't hard to believe. However, I think only the fans are in mind when he makes statements like this. It's not like this is a new thing. A bunch of guys "open " up about other players, coaches, etc... after they leave a team or the game itself.

We've heard how some of Gruden's players feel about him. We heard from Vikings players how they felt about Leslie Frazier. We've heard how Bucs players felt about Greg Schiano. So I don't really think Pat is egging this on because it's popular to hate on Grigson. I think he's egging this one because he knows fans hated Grigson, but he did too. But now like many other former players, he's a liberty to explain WHY. If anything this helps rationalize the disdain for Grigson instead of it looking like just an angry fanbase who unfairly hated a guy because he didn't deliver. This kind of information (if true) puts to bed the idea that Grigson wasn't as bad as WE as fans made it seem. If anything it shows that it was far worse than we thought. I think he's trying to educate fans and put us in the loop which I can respect. Wayne did the same thing, although not as much.

Its sad that the players didn't like him.

Of course, if it becomes fashionable in certain social circles to publicly not like someone, then more people will say they don't like someone than maybe what is true.....just to be fashionable within their circle.

Which is why decision making on players is what a GM should be judged for.  This stuff leaked to the media about Grigson being a jerk, Wayne did that too.....something about saying Hi in a hallway.....Grigson being arrogant towards the media......might be a way for the circle to maintain its echo chamber.

So far, what percentage of players have said they didn't like Grigson?  About 2%?  It seems like the vast majority of players, including those cut by him, don't seem to have anything publicly bad to say. 

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Played out? Yes. But it's good to hear the players side of it so that we as fans know the true story.

I'm saying it's played out because McAfee took this trip four months ago, which is when we heard this story the first time.

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess Pat's love for the spotlights and being a so called comedian had more love for him.

If that's the case his humor is going to wear out fast if he don't come up with something other than ragging on Grigson.

I do find it interesting that some many people loved Pat when he was here at least in part because they found him to be funny.  Then he leaves to go pursue that people no longer find him funny...

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I do find it interesting that some many people loved Pat when he was here at least in part because they found him to be funny.  Then he leaves to go pursue that people no longer find him funny...

Most don't find him funny at the expense of the Colts. IMO if he is going to continue to be a comedian he needs to update his material and find something that is not old news.

Yes some did think he was funny but most liked his play on the field better.

On 6/22/2017 at 7:48 AM, DougDew said:

Indeed, I was focused on the comment about him being the lowest cog in the machine, so to speak.  That occurred when Pat was merely average/above average.  

Anything that occurred after that conversation doesn't mean Grigson's specific opinion of him being the lowest cog still applied.  Grigson may have just didn't not wanted to spend the kind of money that was eventually spent on a punter.

That brings up a good point.  Did Grigsons comments motivate Pat to get better?  If so, grigs should be looked at in a different light. In this case anyway.

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

That brings up a good point.  Did Grigsons comments motivate Pat to get better?  If so, grigs should be looked at in a different light. In this case anyway.

Frankly, I think both Grigson and Patty are two people I wouldn't get along with very well.  I might hire them as a cap manager or punter, but I would avoid getting cornered into too many conversations with them.

On 6/19/2017 at 2:38 PM, imacoltfan said:

I know I'll be in the minority here since Pat has become some sort of mythological figure. 

Playing devil's advocate here. I've been in business for over 30 years and find it hard to believe something would be said like that. Especially with no context.

What could Grigson expect to gain saying something like that, especially his first year?

I think Pat should start to let it whatever it is, go. He's starting to come off looking small.

Yeah, he's not on this team anymore so I would prefer not to hear his views on anything. He's never been all that funny either imo.