Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Howard Mudd explains what he told Irsay:

Lawrence Owen

http://cbs4indy.com/2017/06/16/colts-o-line-fixed-howard-mudd-offers-clarification/

“I saw (Irsay) and said, ‘I really like the beginning of what you have there (with) the young guys that you’ve brought in.  “He said I said they fixed it. Well, they’re in the process of getting it fixed because they’ve got some guys who I would have liked to have coached.’’

“If they don’t get hurt and stay together and all that kind of stuff, I think the physical stuff is there,Two of those guys – Kelly and Haeg – they’ve demonstrated the mental (toughness) to go out there and scrap and not give and be determined to get the job done."

Haeg reminds Mudd of former standout Colts guard Jack Scott “except he’s even more versatile than that."

A few snip-its of what Mudd said in the article.  His comparison of Haeg to Scott was a good comparison I think.  Except i think Scott had more power.  Haeg has time to build on that though.

"Initially, Mudd noted Irsay’s recollection of their conversation has gotten “a little bit haywire and sideways.’’

Is this a polite way of saying that Jimmy took Mudd out of context? Sure sounds like it. 

I admire Jimmy's enthusiasm & all, but sometimes his excitement gets ahead of where our OL truly is yet. Gelling takes time. I know Irsay knows that naturally.

The operative word by Howard Mudd being that this line has the "beginnings" of a wall that could protect Luck & give him time to release the ball without feeling our pocket collapse around him. 

Jim's a great owner, but every time I read a headline quote from Jimmy, I wanna ask was anybody else there & what was really said word for word? It's not that I doubt his assertions perse I just want independent verification of it by other coaches, players, & media members present that's all. 

It's great to read some real world experts liking our oline development (not only Mudd, but Ballard also praised Grigson to make some good moves regarding the oline. It took him some trial and error lol, but at least there's something not leaving a sour grape taste of his tenure.)

Anyway, honestly, I was already very optimistic about our oline situation without reading these comments. The first 8 game of last season was a disaster, i didn't check it, but I assume the oline was one of the worst in the league (if not dead last). That was somewhat expected with 3 rookies in the line. Could've been a bit better, but early struggles were expected. 

But the last 8 games brought a complete turnaround. Taking only the last 8 games as a sample size, the oline was top10 in most - if not all - important aspects. That is huge, huge improvement. And not only as a group, but our rookies individually also improved a lot. Especially Clark. The guy was a misery in preseason games, and by the end of the season he became a usable asset. Huge improvement in only a few months.

So, all in all, assuming the whole group stay healthy, they have a chance to become a solid, one of the better offensive lines of the league. And the best thing is that the whole group is so young, that Ballard can build on this core in long term, only adding a piece here and there each year.

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

"Initially, Mudd noted Irsay’s recollection of their conversation has gotten “a little bit haywire and sideways.’’

Is this a polite way of saying that Jimmy took Mudd out of context? Sure sounds like it. 

I admire Jimmy's enthusiasm & all, but sometimes his excitement gets ahead of where our OL truly is yet. Gelling takes time. I know Irsay knows that naturally.

The operative word by Howard Mudd being that this line has the "beginnings" of a wall that could protect Luck & give him time to release the ball without feeling our pocket collapse around him. 

Jim's a great owner, but every time I read a headline quote from Jimmy, I wanna ask was anybody else there & what was really said word for word? It's not that I doubt his assertions perse I just want independent verification of it by other coaches, players, & media members present that's all. 

Yeah, i completely understand what you're saying.  When it was blown up all over the media what Irsay said, I was waiting to hear from what Coach Mudd had to actually say.  Thus my post here to set the record straight.  Irsay is an excited 'Homer' so-to-speak.  Kinda have to be when you own a sports franchise.  It's either that, or you have a heart attack worrying constantly.