Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your expectations of the 2017 season

CR91

On 6/16/2017 at 2:18 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

If Luck is out for the first few weeks, then we are most likely going to miss the playoffs. A couple wins that turn into losses can be the difference with this team in this division. It shouldn't be, but it is. If Luck is 100% week 1, I see us winning the division and making it through the playoffs until we either face the Pats, Steelers or Raiders. Once the inevitable matchup happens, we will get destroyed by whichever of the 3 teams face us due to a lack of preparation and coaching. One more year of talent and drafting and a new coach (hopefully Dave Toub), and we'll have a chance vs those 3 next year.

I would agree that LAST year's team would get destroyed by the above mentioned 3 teams. But this year's team COULD be vastly improved and contend with anybody. It's just way too early to tell. But predicting this year's success based on last year's talent is short-sighted. We shall see...

Just now, coltsfeva said:

I would agree that LAST year's team would get destroyed by the above mentioned 3 teams. But this year's team COULD be vastly improved and contend with anybody. It's just way too early to tell. But predicting this year's success based on last year's talent is short-sighted. We shall se .....

Well, the thread was your expectations AS OF NOW. As of now, this is it. Also, as much as I love the new additions, we don't for sure that they are good. The only way we can predict this year's success is based on last year's talent. I still think we can make the playoffs, but depending on a bunch of rookies to improve quickly enough, and FA's to beat the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders in only 1 year is very bold. If they show they are great, I may change my mind. Fair enough?

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, the thread was your expectations AS OF NOW. As of now, this is it. Also, as much as I love the new additions, we don't for sure that they are good. The only way we can predict this year's success is based on last year's talent. I still think we can make the playoffs, but depending on a bunch of rookies to improve quickly enough, and FA's to beat the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders in only 1 year is very bold. If they show they are great, I may change my mind. Fair enough?

Anything less than playoffs is a disappointment.

I have tempered my expectations until I see what Luck looks like in the (hopeful) preseason. He is obviously the most important part. My easy answer is this: Improvement. I expect them to improve on defense and on offense. Our defense needs to be ready to play every week and be able to carry us at times to at least keep us in contention in every game. I expect not to get blown out, by anybody. IF Luck is at his best, our OLine looks to be even better, and our defense plays much better (Top 20 or top 2/3rds of the league) then I would expect us to win the division. This division isn't the cake walk it used to be, and teams are only improving (with maybe the exception of the texans depending on what they have in Watson).

22 hours ago, Str8himalaya said:

I have tempered my expectations until I see what Luck looks like in the (hopeful) preseason. He is obviously the most important part. My easy answer is this: Improvement. I expect them to improve on defense and on offense. Our defense needs to be ready to play every week and be able to carry us at times to at least keep us in contention in every game. I expect not to get blown out, by anybody. IF Luck is at his best, our OLine looks to be even better, and our defense plays much better (Top 20 or top 2/3rds of the league) then I would expect us to win the division. This division isn't the cake walk it used to be, and teams are only improving (with maybe the exception of the texans depending on what they have in Watson).

This!

I honestly have no idea what to expect but, I hope to see some consistency. Last year I had no clue what to expect from them.

10-12 wins is an accomplishable goal for this years Colts squad. Of course barring a rash of injuries(fingers crossed), our trenches should be much improved. We actually have pass rushers, who can actually rush the quarterback. Which in turn should help our Db's out, and allow our lber's to maintain their gaps. All in all, there's allot to be excited for as a Colts fan IMO. Great thread by the way. 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:05 AM, Str8himalaya said:

Great Post. I never make my final predictions until Pre-season is over. I agree with your Post. Our Defense needs to be Top 20 and Andrew needs to be healthy for us to do anything.

On 6/16/2017 at 6:53 AM, TKnight24 said:

Floor: 8-8 

Ceiling: 12-4 

I am going to slightly improve that outlook ...

Floor = 9-7 (Anything less than this and I will be surprised and disappointed.)

Ceiling = 12-4 (I agree with you)

My prediction = Playoffs w/Wildcard Round Victory, but then losing in the divisional round.

All of the above is predicated upon "all things being equal".  Throw debilitating injuries into the mix and all bets are off.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great Post. I never make my final predictions until Pre-season is over. I agree with your Post. Our Defense needs to be Top 20 and Andrew needs to be healthy for us to do anything.

I tend NOT to pay too much attention to the preseason, after seeing during the Manning era that year after year the Colts would be lucky to be 1-3 during the preseason, then go on to dominate the regular season with what, 7 or 8 straight seasons of 12-4 or better.  Colts always seem to suck in preseason. :)

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I tend NOT to pay too much attention to the preseason, after seeing during the Manning era that year after year the Colts would be lucky to be 1-3 during the preseason, then go on to dominate the regular season with what, 7 or 8 straight seasons of 12-4 or better.  Colts always seem to suck in preseason. :)

I know, in the Peyton era we sucked in Pre-Season then would start 9-0 every year lmao. This ERA is a little different but I tend to agree Pre-Season still isn't overly important. I mainly want to see how healthy we are once Pre-Season ends was my point there because of Andrew's health.

On 2017. 06. 19. at 2:05 PM, Str8himalaya said:

I have tempered my expectations until I see what Luck looks like in the (hopeful) preseason.

When Peyton had his surgery in 2008, he eventually became MVP, but he started slow. He was definitely off in the first 5-6 games. After 7 games were were at 3-4 to win out the final 9 and finish with 12-4.

It this Colts will be at 3-4 after 7 games, this team won't win out the remaining schedule... So, we can only hope Luck will be back, and will be back in form asap, and then we'll see. Until than, my tempered expectation is, I want to see noticable, and continuous improvement from the defense and oline. And I also want those players who we hope to build the team on in long term (Moncrief, Dorsett, Hooker, Wilson, Anderson and so on) improve, show that they can carry this team in the future. There will be some letdowns, thats inevitable, but most of them should and has to step up.

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

That was a different era. The Manning Colts used those games to evaluate the bottom third of the roster. Now it's different, because they need to evaluate probable starters. So, preseason games are a bit more relevant now than before.

3 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

When Peyton had his surgery in 2008, he eventually became MVP, but he started slow. He was definitely off in the first 5-6 games. After 7 games were were at 3-4 to win out the final 9 and finish with 12-4.

It this Colts will be at 3-4 after 7 games, this team won't win out the remaining schedule... So, we can only hope Luck will be back, and will be back in form asap, and then we'll see. Until than, my tempered expectation is, I want to see noticable, and continuous improvement from the defense and oline. And I also want those players who we hope to build the team on in long term (Moncrief, Dorsett, Hooker, Wilson, Anderson and so on) improve, show that they can carry this team in the future. There will be some letdowns, thats inevitable, but most of them should and has to step up.

We wont start 3-4 if Andrew is ready in Week 1 IMO. Our schedule is real favorable. I made an early prediction the other day and had us at 10-6 but I am counting on #12 starting in Week 1.

On 6/16/2017 at 10:27 PM, southwest1 said:

As much as it pains me to say this, Jared is right on the money. I'm not indicting Jared simply agreeing with him that that scenario seems mostly likely. 10-6 & then Derek Carr or Big Ben demolishes us in the post season. 

Joe Philbin gets promoted to HC next yr. I like Pagano, but can he get us to a SB? Honestly, no. 

I personally think we could take the Raiders, especially if the game was at home. But unfortunately the Colts have given none of us any reason to believe we could knock off the Steelers or Pats, regardless of where the game's played, so I do agree with that part.

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

If Luck plays all 16 games, we win the division and a playoff game at least.

If Luck misses 2 games or more, we barely miss the playoffs. Yes, he is that important!!!

The way our schedule is set up, we don't play a division opponent until week 6, so if he misses the first 2 or 3 games, I wouldn't totally count us out, but we'd likely be looking at a 0-2 or 1-2 start that he'd have to dig us out of.

I believe the Colts should win at least 9 games this year. It wouldn't surprise me if we won more, if we can stay healthy. I think the the AFC south with come down to Tennessee and us. Luckily we've always had their number lol Jim Irsay said we are in a slight rebuild so even if this season doesn't measure up to expectations, our franchise is on going up!! Especially with Chris Ballard!