Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

tall tale sign of the 2016 defense

CR91

A lot of things not reported in this article, if you ask me.

He mentions Jerrell Freeman as the major difference between what we had in 2015 compared to 2016.  However, he fails to mention we lost Dwight Lowery (though not a stellar safety, he was better than what we saw from TJ Green and others who were forced into the lineup last year).  We also got worse at CB2, as Robinson didn't play that well when healthy and we had a hodge-podge of guys nobody had ever heard of rotating in for a good chunk of time.

Mathis was on the roster, but he was no where near his old self.  Trent Cole was on the roster but even more washed up than he was in 2015.  D'Qwell was a step slower and suspended 4 games.  Kendall Langford (probably the most consistent DL for the Colts in the Pagano era) was hurt for the majority of the season.  Clayton Geathers missed a significant chunk of time. 

Our defense was bad last year.  That said, I don't fault Monachino too much.  He inherited a bad defense which got worse due to aging/slowing down of multiple key players, injuries, and suspension. We also had to rely on young guys forced in the lineup prior to being ready (e.g., Green, Morrison).

We seem to have a lot of questions going into this season, but I don't see how we can be any worse.  The addition of Hankins should help along the DL immediately.  Experience coming back for many young players should also help (Green, Morrison, E. Jackson, Ridgeway, etc.).  I think the additions of Sheard and Simon should do nothing to reduce our pass-rush capability.  Also, Anderson should be healthy and ready to go week 1 this year (last year, IMO, he was still kind of rehabbing for a chunk of the season) and if Langford comes back healthy that will also be a major boost to our DL.

Finally, our offense was pretty good last year but consistently started out slow.  We need that to change.  If the O isn't putting points on the board, it makes it very difficult to utilize the blitz or have a strong pass rush on the defensive end.