Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Horseshoe Blue PPR 2017

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Why would he have got my spot?

He wouldn't have and that is my bad. I noticed it shortly after but didn't catch it in time to edit. Waiting on team hulce to reply on if he wants the 8th spot, if not I'm dropping down and  @WarGhost21 will get 9th. My bad. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@BPindy, @Lucky Colts Fan, @IndyD4U, @Bluefire4, @Btown_Colt, @Coltman51, @chad72

Couple of Ideas about next years format and scoring system. It's obviously early but would like to get the discussion going now while it is fresh in my head.

As per the previous poll on ESPN I posted, the idea is to change some of the scoring for defenses.  Couple of options would be to increase the yards needed for point/yd return.  Increasing it from 25-50 would be a significant increase, and I would need to do a full assessment of the actual points garnered from return yards to find a good spot.  Another possibility is to decrease the points per deflection from one point down to .5 points. We could do one of those, both of those, or none of those. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

The next option is for the actual playoff format. Currently it is set up to select the top 2 teams from each division. This can leave good teams out who have better records. A possibility would be to eliminate divisions and select the top 6 teams, with #1 and #2 getting a bye.  This would most likely shorten our season from 14 game down to 13 games. 

The last topic deals with draft order.  Currently we use last seasons rankings in reverse order to determine draft order. As we all know, the #1 pick can be as much of a boon as the #9 or #10 pick.  The idea is to continue to use the reverse order, but have people select their position, rather than automatically being slotted.  This allows the worst performing teams to get the best possible spot. This can be good or bad and I can see both sides of the argument fairly evenly. But it will help alleviate difficulty in determining draft orders when people drop out.

Think about it, discuss it, and let me know what you think. As always I would like to get a super majority (7/10) before making any changes.  All of these proposed changes would not occur until next year.

On 10/10/2017 at 7:04 AM, Narcosys said:

As per the previous poll on ESPN I posted, the idea is to change some of the scoring for defenses.  Couple of options would be to increase the yards needed for point/yd return.  Increasing it from 25-50 would be a significant increase, and I would need to do a full assessment of the actual points garnered from return yards to find a good spot.  Another possibility is to decrease the points per deflection from one point down to .5 points. We could do one of those, both of those, or none of those. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Not sure what the reason would be for changing either of these? I don’t really think people are selecting their defense each week based off who has the most deflections? Maybe I am missing something here? I’ve only been playing fantasy for a couple years so it is possible I’m not putting it all together.

The next option is for the actual playoff format. Currently it is set up to select the top 2 teams from each division. This can leave good teams out who have better records. A possibility would be to eliminate divisions and select the top 6 teams, with #1 and #2 getting a bye.  This would most likely shorten our season from 14 game down to 13 games. 

I’m could probably be persuaded either way, but I would be for allowing the top 6 teams. 

The last topic deals with draft order.  Currently we use last seasons rankings in reverse order to determine draft order. As we all know, the #1 pick can be as much of a boon as the #9 or #10 pick.  The idea is to continue to use the reverse order, but have people select their position, rather than automatically being slotted.  This allows the worst performing teams to get the best possible spot. This can be good or bad and I can see both sides of the argument fairly evenly. But it will help alleviate difficulty in determining draft orders when people drop out.

I would actually be for allowing this. I think it’s a great idea. I see the logic in picking in the reverse order of where you finished the previous season, but the first pick sucks! I’d rather pick in the middle each round.

3 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Not sure what the reason would be for changing either of these? I don’t really think people are selecting their defense each week based off who has the most deflections? Maybe I am missing something here? I’ve only been playing fantasy for a couple years so it is possible I’m not putting it all together.

I’m could probably be persuaded either way, but I would be for allowing the top 6 teams. 

I would actually be for allowing this. I think it’s a great idea. I see the logic in picking in the reverse order of where you finished the previous season, but the first pick sucks! I’d rather pick in the middle each round.

Currently defensive scoring is sporadic and can range from 5 points to 40 points. Some people, not anyone in this league that i know of, hate defenses period because they are so inconsistent even in standard scoring leagues. I set the points up when i created the league. Now that the majority of the league has had a few years to see how this plays out, was just interested in gauging how people felt about it. 

If everyone likes it then I am all for keeping it. They're almost like a wild card.

I am fine with the rules the way they are. I had to figure out why Ds scored higher than standard scoring too. 1 point for every 25 return yards adds to the drafting strategy too. Same with deflections, I am fine with where things stand.

As far as draft position, I'd rather it be randomized because picking #1 can become a curse and inevitably, 9 out of 10 teams will choose not to pick #1 and the champ probably gets the #1 pick. I'd rather it be randomized.

10 team league, 4 playoff teams is fine. If it were 12 teams, I can understand 6. The regular season has to mean something. In one of my neighborhood money leagues, the goal is to encourage participation. So, 8 out of 12 teams make the playoffs, which is a farce, IMO, but then there a lot of newbies to FF too, that keeps them engaged till the end which is the goal in a league with such varying FF experience.

On 12/10/2017 at 4:57 PM, chad72 said:

I am fine with the rules the way they are. I had to figure out why Ds scored higher than standard scoring too. 1 point for every 25 return yards adds to the drafting strategy too. Same with deflections, I am fine with where things stand.

As far as draft position, I'd rather it be randomized because picking #1 can become a curse and inevitably, 9 out of 10 teams will choose not to pick #1 and the champ probably gets the #1 pick. I'd rather it be randomized.

10 team league, 4 playoff teams is fine. If it were 12 teams, I can understand 6. The regular season has to mean something. In one of my neighborhood money leagues, the goal is to encourage participation. So, 8 out of 12 teams make the playoffs, which is a farce, IMO, but then there a lot of newbies to FF too, that keeps them engaged till the end which is the goal in a league with such varying FF experience.

But should the champ not get the best pick? Considering they won the previous year, just like in real football, they get the worst pick. Making it random could allow them to get the best pick. A lottery is a possibility, even in conjunction with selecting your position. But typically the worst team should get the better draft position. It doesn't mean they will win it. 

For playoffs, it makes sense to keep 4. But how do you feel about getting rid of divisions?

14 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

But should the champ not get the best pick? Considering they won the previous year, just like in real football, they get the worst pick. Making it random could allow them to get the best pick. A lottery is a possibility. But typically the worst team should get the better draft position. It doesn't mean they will win it. 

For playoffs, it makes sense to keep 4. But how do you feel about getting rid of divisions?

In a 10 team league, with 4 playoff teams with playoffs starting in week 15, if there are no divisions, you play 9 other GMs once and 5 more GMs twice. It is the luck of the draw who you play twice if you get rid of divisions. 

In FF, if points scored are the tie-breakers, just get rid of divisions, IMO and cycle through the schedule in order.

When I meant random, it is not "choosing your draft position". It is random, as in randomized by ESPN a few weeks prior, just like we did with the NFL.com Colts elite league.

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

In a 10 team league, with 4 playoff teams with playoffs starting in week 15, if there are no divisions, you play 9 other GMs once and 5 more GMs twice. It is the luck of the draw who you play twice if you get rid of divisions. 

In FF, if points scored are the tie-breakers, just get rid of divisions, IMO and cycle through the schedule in order.

When I meant random, it is not "choosing your draft position". It is random, as in randomized by ESPN a few weeks prior, just like we did with the NFL.com Colts elite league.

Currently it picks the top two teams in each division.

You could potentially have a team in a strong division with a better record than say the second place team in another division. That third guy would be left out even though he has the 3rd or 4th best record. Taking a look at our current standings is a good example. The east is a strong division if you look at the PF.  Trueblood and I are tied, but he would be in and I would be out even though my PF is higher. The same goes if I end the season one game ahead of him, and he still gets second in your division. Im out, he's in. But I think you get that, you're not new to this. 

I understand what you man by randomized. What I'm saying is that leaves the possibility of the champion from last year getting a really good position.  If we don't care about last year's placements, then ya it's no big deal. However, if we want to stick to putting the champion in a handicap the next year, then randomizing doesn't work.  

Its all up to league voting but we have multiple options, as you have presented one I didn't think of. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

@BPindy, @Lucky Colts Fan, @IndyD4U, @Bluefire4, @Btown_Colt, @Coltman51, @chad72

Couple of Ideas about next years format and scoring system. It's obviously early but would like to get the discussion going now while it is fresh in my head.

Think about it, discuss it, and let me know what you think. As always I would like to get a super majority (7/10) before making any changes.  All of these proposed changes would not occur until next year.

I say one rule for next year is make it so a person isn’t allowed have his wife trade him her 2 best players in return for a kicker, a mediocre running back, and two mediocre receivers. 

7 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

I say one rule for next year is make it so a person isn’t allowed have his wife trade him her 2 best players in return for a kicker, a mediocre running back, and two mediocre receivers. 

Looking at her other receivers, she got two better receivers than anything else she had. devon funchess is now the #1 in carolina. Ginn has big ceilings and flex floors. Plus she has golden Tate who is better than jones currently. Jay ajayi hasnt been performing at all and wont be able to perform for another 3 weeks and is still a risk at that. Frank gore is currently better than ajayi fantasy wise.  The kicker is also the #3 kicker and scoring more points than vinatieri.

She lost a rb that wasnt doing anything that is currentlyt a high risk, for a rb that has at least been doing something.  She lost a decent receiver for another #1 and one that is better than anything else she had. So instead of having two receivers to work with she now has three. 

Vinatieri is hurt and forbath has outscored him by a field goal on average every game.

Plus tate and ingram are her best players in fantasy.

Because she can play every player, those players are projected to get 16 more points a week than what she gave me and should score around 100 more points over the season than the players she gave me.

Trade analysers all say it's a good trade for her as well. Especially when you look at her team and what it was before the trade. She is 2-6, she needed a butt load of players.

I also see we face each other this week, but my projections haven't changed, they actually dropped 2 (until I grabbed the rams D off of waivers, now its back to 116). You're still projected to beat me by 21. 

@BPindy @Lucky Colts Fan @IndyD4U @Bluefire4 @Coltman51 @chad72

Please feel free to weigh in on the above discussion. I would like to know how you all felt.  If you disagreed, did you vote against it?

I'm open to criticism in this and truly feel it was  Trade that was balanced and helped luck be a lady's team out overall. If you could review her team as a whole from last week and assess it by comparing to this week, you will see how I came to this conclusion.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Please feel free to weigh in on the above discussion. I would like to know how you all felt.  If you disagreed, did you vote against it?

I'm open to criticism in this and truly feel it was  Trade that was balanced and helped luck be a lady's team out overall. If you could review her team as a whole from last week and assess it by comparing to this week, you will see how I came to this conclusion.  Thank you.

We have to respect the process. If there are not enough votes against it, then the members have had their chance and say, thus helping us move on, IMO.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We have to respect the process. If there are not enough votes against it, then the members have had their chance and say, thus helping us move on, IMO.

Some people could have missed it and not paid attention to it.  So I wanted to address any concerns of collusion as that is something that I never want to occur and am deeply concerned that anyone may be thinking that. If this is the leagues concern I can take steps to reduce the impact by giving up other players from my roster. For instance giving up James white and Rams D for eddie lacy.  Not sure if we can entirely reverse the trade as I think this would have to wait a week to process. Maybe even go so far as to say that there should never be trade between our teams. I did not see the vote count but I will look at it. If there is a large concern of collusion, I want to take all necessary steps to alleviate this and rectify it.

I enjoy this league greatly, everyone in it is very smart and it is very competitive. I always appreciate everyone's input and do not want to ruin it over this one trade.

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I had zero issues with it. 

So I want to profusely apologize to the league about this incident as I did not realize that the perception of collusion with this trade would occur. 

I  am deeply sorry and do not want this to adversely affect your enjoyment of this league.

I am willing to take measures to alleviate/rectify this by not trading with her again, from here on out, unless everyone is clearly made aware and has a say. 

If anyone feels more should be done, please let me know.

VSomeone else also suggested a trade panel of 5 active/willing people to review trades and approve/veto them. Idk how many people vote or view the current emails when trades are proposed. 

So it would be 3/5 votes required to approve or veto the trades and give a reason why the trade was vetoed, allowing for reworking of the trade.

We don't have a whole bunch of trades so its not a lot of work, but it does take extra time outside the espn app/site.

This could help prevent perceptions of collusion from falling through the cracks.

If enough people are active, I could drop the required votes from 6 to 5 for vetoing.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

VSomeone else also suggested a trade panel of 5 active/willing people to review trades and approve/veto them. Idk how many people vote or view the current emails when trades are proposed. 

So it would be 3/5 votes required to approve or veto the trades and give a reason why the trade was vetoed, allowing for reworking of the trade.

We don't have a whole bunch of trades so its not a lot of work, but it does take extra time outside the espn app/site.

This could help prevent perceptions of collusion from falling through the cracks.

If enough people are active, I could drop the required votes from 6 to 5 for vetoing.

Thoughts?

That would work for a league like my neighbor's league where only 4 or 5 out of 12 FF GMs are consistently engaged throughout the year. In that case, the 5 most experienced FF players can be a panel.

In a case like our league, where everyone is "expected" to be experienced enough, all we can do is notify and go from there.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That would work for a league like my neighbor's league where only 4 or 5 out of 12 FF GMs are consistently engaged throughout the year. In that case, the 5 most experienced FF players can be a panel.

In a case like our league, where everyone is "expected" to be experienced enough, all we can do is notify and go from there.

Ok. Well I will be sure to avoid the trade and be sure to notify everyone beforehand and give ample opportunity to give opinions. Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

Ok. Well I will be sure to avoid the trade and be sure to notify everyone beforehand and give ample opportunity to give opinions. Thanks for your input.

I didn’t see any problem with it at all. Kickers get criminally undervalued by some people

23 minutes ago, BPindy said:

And with the prior discussion, I’d vote for getting to pick your position based on reverse standings.

What about defensive scoring and removing divisions?

There is also the idea of lottery selection.

Similar to selecting by reverse standings except it's like the nba draft with lottery. The worse you did, the more entries you have.

44 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

What about defensive scoring and removing divisions?

There is also the idea of lottery selection.

Similar to selecting by reverse standings except it's like the nba draft with lottery. The worse you did, the more entries you have.

I’m fine with defensive scoring as it is. As for divisions, I like how my other league does it. The divisions stay so you still face those teams twice, but playoff seeding is best overall records. 

I wouldnt be opposed to lottery system, but it seems unnecessary to me

14 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Looking at her other receivers, she got two better receivers than anything else she had. devon funchess is now the #1 in carolina. Ginn has big ceilings and flex floors. Plus she has golden Tate who is better than jones currently. Jay ajayi hasnt been performing at all and wont be able to perform for another 3 weeks and is still a risk at that. Frank gore is currently better than ajayi fantasy wise.  The kicker is also the #3 kicker and scoring more points than vinatieri.

Vinatieri is hurt and forbath has outscored him by a field goal on average every game.

Who cares, it’s a kicker. Matt Prater is sitting a free agent, averages 10.1 points per game and has already had his bye week. Forbath averages 10.9 but hasn’t had a bye yet. Not a big difference there.

Jay ajayi hasnt been performing at all and wont be able to perform for another 3 weeks and is still a risk at that. Frank gore is currently better than ajayi fantasy wise. 

Ajayi has averaged 9.3 points a game with a week 1 bye. Gore has averaged 9.8 and hasn’t had a bye yet. Ajayi was just traded to one of the best teams in the league where they intend to use him this year to help get to a Super Bowl. Saying he is risky is a bit rich. Not much difference there either with Ajayi having more upside.

Looking at her other receivers, she got two better receivers than anything else she had. devon funchess is now the #1 in carolina. Ginn has big ceilings and flex floors. Plus she has golden Tate who is better than jones currently

She lost a decent receiver for another #1 and one that is better than anything else she had. So instead of having two receivers to work with she now has three. 

Jones is one of, if not the best, WR in the league. Sure he has a down year, to his standards, but let’s not pretend he is just decent and that Ginn or Funchess are anything close to him. And the chances that Jones keeps underperforming are slim to none and you know it. Otherwise you wouldn’t have traded for him and a “risky” running back. Ginn is  boom or bust. Jones still averages 13.9 points per game and has had his bye, and has put 10+ points in every game except one. The only reason his numbers are lower is because he hasn’t found the end zone like he has in previous years He still has HUGE upside and is a WR 1 every week.. Ginn averages 11.6 and had his bye. Still he has only put up 10+ points in 3 games. Funchess averages 10.8, hasn’t had a bye, and only put 10+ points twice.

Because she can play every player, those players are projected to get 16 more points a week than what she gave me and should score around 100 more points over the season than the players she gave me.

No she can’t, she can only play 3 and has Tate and and Garçon who has been as good as if not better than both the receivers you traded her. She has Maclin who has been as good as if not better than those you traded her. His numbers are down cuz he missed 2 weeks due to an injury.

No one she got is going to substantially help her team out compared to the benefits you got of adding Julio Jones and Ajayi and if they are only just “decent” why did you trade half your team to get them? It’s my opinion if you offered that same trade to anyone else in the league it would of got rejected. She is 2-6 and has a very slim chance of making the playoffs. You are 4-4 and adding a stud in Julio Jones and RB with huge upside  going to the Eagles is just what you needed to make your push into the play offs. 

Anyway im over it already. I probably shouldn’t have said anything, I just thought it was odd and if I am out of line and way off base than I am sorry. I just don’t think the trade would of been accepted 95% of the time. It’s a free league and I do enjoy it so I’m not trying to cause a ruckus. I try to stay on top of this and put effort into it so that it can be a fun, competitive league and I don’t want my time and effort shot to hell or done in vain because a team who probably has no chance of making the playoffs trades their players to try and help another team out.

Sorry for the fuss and good luck this week. I think it’s going to be a close game.

2 hours ago, BPindy said:

I didn’t see any problem with it at all. Kickers get criminally undervalued by some people

Ok, I’ll trade you my kicker for your #1 WR or RB anytime you’d like. Heck I’ll even throw my D in as well for icing on the cake! Seriously no kicker is worth Julio Jones....

2 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ok, I’ll trade you my kicker for your #1 WR or RB anytime you’d like. Heck I’ll even throw my D in as well for icing on the cake! Seriously no kicker is worth Julio Jones....

Well Forbath is currently averaging more points than Ajayi and only 3 less than Jones, so I don’t really see how that helps your argument. Obviously no one would do that straight up, but it was a part of a 4-2 player trade. 

And by by the way, defenses have single handedly won me a few games.

40 minutes ago, BPindy said:

Well Forbath is currently averaging more points than Ajayi and only 3 less than Jones, so I don’t really see how that helps your argument. Obviously no one would do that straight up, but it was a part of a 4-2 player trade. 

And by by the way, defenses have single handedly won me a few games.

Not sure I had an argument. Just offered you a trade. Ok, I have and will trade you the Jaguars D, Eagles D, Succop, and Gostkowski for your #1 WR and #2 RB. That’s the #1 and #2 D along with the #3 and #4 kickers. A 4-2 player trade.

48 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Not sure I had an argument. Just offered you a trade. Ok, I have and will trade you the Jaguars D, Eagles D, Succop, and Gostkowski for your #1 WR and #2 RB. That’s the #1 and #2 D along with the #3 and #4 kickers. A 4-2 player trade.

lmao now you’re just being purposefully ignorant man

I@Btown_Colt

I traded that many because I could afford to trade that many and wanted to make sure I gave as much fair value as I could. I looked for ways I thought I was improving her team. 

You are not out of line because you have a right to believe what you want and you make rational valid points. 

When I made the trade I didn't think it would cause this concern, but I can see now that I was wrong and am willing to take steps to rectify this. 

9 hours ago, BPindy said:

I’m fine with defensive scoring as it is. As for divisions, I like how my other league does it. The divisions stay so you still face those teams twice, but playoff seeding is best overall records. 

I wouldnt be opposed to lottery system, but it seems unnecessary to me

In a division less league, you just cycle through your beginning schedule. At least that's standard. Not sure there's a setting to randomize it.