Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTA's 6/8/2017

TKnight24

If you guys/girls get a chance - listen to yesterday's Locked on Colts podcast with George Bremer.  He was at the OTAs open to the reporters and has some great insight.

Not a lot you can really tell from OTAs but he said there's a great feeling with the workouts, optimism that he didn't see previously.  He goes on to talk about what players are standing out, etc.

Again, take everything with a grain of salt.

Pretty interesting quote from Irsay about the offensive line being FIXED!

Because Pagano recently said they haven't yet decided on who the starting 5 will be.     That wasn't that long ago,  was it?

Perhaps those decisions have now been made?!            :thmup:

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because Pagano recently said they haven't yet decided on who the starting 5 will be.     That wasn't that long ago,  was it?

You read my mind NCF like a Vulcan mind meld. I wanna believe that Joe Philbin is confident & ready to go, but I need more than Jimmy's assurances. Knock on wood & hope for the best I guess. 

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Keep the good news coming Apple Juice King!

Speaking of that TK, do you drink different apple juice flavors for say rookie OTAs, main training camp, regular season, playoffs, & drag out the premier bubbly for the SB? I always wanted to know that. The theory being as the season progresses & the games intensity...You break out more potent apple juice to keep your eyes, ears, & taste buds alert & sharp. Just joking! 

7 hours ago, krunk said:

I feel good about this season

When Krunk says that, it's a good omen. His intuition is the closet thing to money in the bank to me. Let the Titans & Texans get all the AFC South media love, while INDY quietly gets better & surprises the league. Works for me. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

You read my mind NCF like a Vulcan mind meld. I wanna believe that Joe Philbin is confident & ready to go, but I need more than Jimmy's assurances. Knock on wood & hope for the best I guess. 

I think somewhere in this thread,  (or is it a different thread?)  there's a tweet from a reporter saying Irsay has twalked to former Colts OL guru Howard Mudd and it's Mudd who thinks the line is dramatically improved!

Perhaps Mudd sees that Philbin is doing a great job with the new young players.      Honestly,  I'm very, very hopeful the line will be dramatically improved this season.      Not sure we'll see it week #1,  but before the season is out,   I think those who cover the NFL will take a long look at our OL and like what they see!

That's my strong hope and wish.....

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I get the feeling he was more referring to it being fixed as a unit, like not getting Andrew destroyed anymore, rather than specific positions being 'fixed' in terms of starters.

I think we potentially have a good group on the OL.  I trust pretty much every guy amongst that starting five.  Clark is the question mark but I saw enough talent and progress from him in those last couple games to believe he's got the tools to play the position at an even better level with some experience and an offseason.    I'm just hoping we don't get hit with a rash of injuries.

I think on defense if we can round out the depth positions a little more in the secondary we can end up having a pretty solid group on D this year.  There's some unknowns in places , but I think we've got good athletes at most of the starting positions.   DL appears to have good depth.  We don't have any elite pass rushers, but I think we have a potential solid 4 guys between Sheard, Simon, Basham, Ayers.  Maybe a 5th guy if you can get some improvement out of Mingo.  ILB group is not dominant, but I think there's speed and athleticism there and most if not all of them are really solid tacklers. 

If injuries don't kill a lot of our depth I think this defense can be pretty reliable.  Might not be dominant, but I certainly expect them to be a good couple notches better than what we've had in the past.   Add that with what I think can be a dominant offense in the second year of Chuds scheme and our Colts may surprise when the bullets start flying.  I really feel like the offense can be dominant with improved line play and a more reliable running game.  It seems we may have enough pieces in place to do both things this year(run block and pass block).  If that is the case then you may be surprised at what we get done this year..

47 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think on defense if we can round out the depth positions a little more in the secondary we can end up having a pretty solid group on D this year.  There's some unknowns in places , but I think we've got good athletes at most of the starting positions.   DL appears to have good depth.  We don't have any elite pass rushers, but I think we have a potential solid 4 guys between Sheard, Simon, Basham, Ayers.  Maybe a 5th guy if you can get some improvement out of Mingo.  ILB group is not dominant, but I think there's speed and athleticism there and most if not all of them are really solid tacklers. 

If injuries don't kill a lot of our depth I think this defense can be pretty reliable.  Might not be dominant, but I certainly expect them to be a good couple notches better than what we've had in the past.   Add that with what I think can be a dominant offense in the second year of Chuds scheme and our Colts may surprise when the bullets start flying.  I really feel like the offense can be dominant with improved line play and a more reliable running game.  It seems we may have enough pieces in place to do both things this year(run block and pass block).  If that is the case then you may be surprised at what we get done this year..

I cant remember the last time I've been this excited about the upcoming season.  Not that I'm expecting a SB, but because of the way the team is being built.  

I have doubts about Geathers contributing and think that S is our biggest question mark on D.  But I love the new guys potential and the prospects for the future.

On paper, I think we can all agree the offense will be no worse than last seasons top 10 unit. A middle of the pack defense is good for at least 3 more wins.  

I realize the rest of the division is going to be better but I think we take it.   

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't share Irsay's confidence.  There is a lot of question marks with potential on the OL.

That said I also think that Pagano's statement that they havn't decided on a starting 5 is likely more coach speak then reality.  I think Pagano has to say that otherwise there are some players that might be upset about being pre-maturely written out.   

Castanzo, Mewhort, and Kelly are all locks everyone knows that.  

Clark showed a lot of potential at RT and since we don't have any good known players at that position then you have to pretty much pencil him in there.  

The biggest question mark then left is between Haeg and Goode at right guard.  But given that Haeg has a lot more potential based on the fact that he was a rookie last year you have to think they would go with Haeg.    

Last year I was one of the guys who thought we'd go 9-7 or 8-8. This year though, with this revamped roster and a favorable schedule, 10 wins seems like a realistic predicition. The offense should be very good and the defense will hopefully be out of the bottom of the league.

I'm a little skeptical about our secondary though. Geathers situation is uncertain but I'm also concerned about Vontae's injuries. He was listed just about every week last season and very consistently the past two seasons with all kinds of leg injuries, hamstring, groin. And as much as I like Wilson he's probably gonna be a DPI machine his first year. 

The D-Line should be very capable of stuffing the run and I think our pass rush will at least help out our secondary more than last year though.

Also, Irsay's comments on the mutliple SB's brings up an interesting debate. With Pagano, I believe he's capable enough to get this team to the playoffs most years, but I really don't think he's the type to get us to and win mutliple SB's. Not that it's impossible but I just don't see it.

I can't wait to play the Titans.   I really just want to rub it in when that game happens.   I still don't think they are much better than last year.   I don't care what anybody tells me.