Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTA's 6/6/17

TKnight24

2 hours ago, krunk said:

How is Morrison going to be a "Cover Guy"? Can't see it

Not saying he can do it, but you know that half the battle is knowing what to do.   You're right, he was horrible in coverage, constantly picked on.  

Take it for what it's worth, but they said he's looking faster, and more sure of himself so far.  Love him stuffing the run, dread him covering a TE.  

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm still curious as to whether Bostic is more of a MIKE or a WILL?

Which inside group is he practicing with?

I'd have to imagine the Mike linebacker just looking at his size.  He's 6'1" 245lbs which is the size most of the guys who have played Mike for us usually are. Morrison and Ant Walker are around that same weight also. I think Morrison has lost a little weight probably to get faster maybe.   The Will linebacker under Pagano has usually played around 230lbs which E. Jackson and Sean Spence are.  Jerrell Freeman played at that same weight also.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd have to imagine the Mike linebacker just looking at his size.  He's 6'1" 245lbs which is the size most of the guys who have played Mike for us usually are. Morrison and Ant Walker are around that same weight also. I think Morrison has lost a little weight probably to get faster maybe.   The Will linebacker under Pagano has usually played around 230lbs which E. Jackson and Sean Spence are.  Jerrell Freeman played at that same weight also.

That's what I was thinking too.   I thought Bostic would be a MIKE.      But I've read posts here and there implying he might be a WILL,  so I wasn't sure.

I think you're right.

But this might need a letter to the Colts.com mailbag to ask Kevin Bowen if he knows for sure....

Thanks for the response....     appreciate it!       :thmup:

8 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Luck needs to be throwing by July or I'll be concerned. 

I'd be perfectly fine with Andrew not throwing a football until September if it helps him stay healthy up through February.

He can warm up against the Rams.  He'll have his mojo back by the end of the Browns game.  I'm more concerned about the defensive players being prepared for the beginning of the season.  If our D can't stop teams like the Rams and Browns, then I don't think it will matter how healthy/on-point Luck is.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'd be perfectly fine with Andrew not throwing a football until September if it helps him stay healthy up through February.

He can warm up against the Rams.  He'll have his mojo back by the end of the Browns game.  I'm more concerned about the defensive players being prepared for the beginning of the season.  If our D can't stop teams like the Rams and Browns, then I don't think it will matter how healthy/on-point Luck is.

I think we're underestimating the rust factor. If he doesn't throw until September, it may take quite a while to get the arm strength and rhythm back. Manning wasn't right the whole first half of the season after missing the offseason with the Knee issue in whatever year it was. We were 0-2 out of the gate with Luck the past 3 years, I don't think we can assume the roster is good enough for him to just "warm up" on teams. Not until proven otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I think we're underestimating the rust factor. If he doesn't throw until September, it may take quite a while to get the arm strength and rhythm back. Manning wasn't right the whole first half of the season after missing the offseason with the Knee issue in whatever year it was. We were 0-2 out of the gate with Luck the past 3 years, I don't think we can assume the roster is good enough for him to just "warm up" on teams. Not until proven otherwise.

I guess I'm hoping we have a more balanced team this year, and our running game can carry us at first while Andrew gets his mojo going.

11 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

It doesn't matter. The consensus opinion is that he's back when he's ready.  No need to rush.  If it costs the season, so be it, as long as it doesn't cost a career.  

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Personally,  since I'm not reading anything that says concern about Luck or the need to upgrade the back-up spot (yet)  then I'm reading that to mean Luck should be throwing sometime by July.

Now,  whether that's July 1 or July 31,  I have no idea.      But I think he's throwing next month.

That's my prediction and I'm sticking to that until there's reason to think otherwise.....

Walker has one distinct advantage over Antonio Morrison, another candidate to play “Mike” linebacker:  Walker is a much better athlete. That was evident in the first glimpse we got on Tuesday, when Walker showed his ability to get to the ball in a hurry and change direction with ease.

Also working in Walker’s favor is his football acumen. The son of a coach and a kid people at Colts headquarters describe as whip smart, Walker arrived with a strong command of the scheme despite missing the past three weeks. While Walker is clearly sharp, this is also a result of hours of film sessions via phone with linebackers coach Jim Hermann in between classes and workouts on campus.

“I’ve been in my playbook,” Walker said. “Maybe a couple reps here and there I could have gotten earlier, but I’m just going with the flow of the game and it’s been a good transition.”

Said Pagano: “He’s picked it up really fast.”

Here’s some of what we’ve gleaned:

Jabaal Sheard is not the fastest edge rusher you’ll see. But that’s not a surprise. He’ll get pressure via power and effort, which is what he’s known for. His lack of neck-breaking burst shouldn’t be a huge concern.

Third-round pick draft Tarell Basham, on the other hand, looks the part of an explosive edge rusher. Speed and quickness can be assessed in OTAs, and Basham possesses both.

He’s got burst, he’s got twitch,” Pagano said. “He’s a nifty athlete and he’s good with his hands. He’s got some natural pass rush to him. It’s going to be exciting.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/06/06/colts-observations-rookie-walker-adding-intrigue-ilb/369980001/

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's what I was thinking too.   I thought Bostic would be a MIKE.      But I've read posts here and there implying he might be a WILL,  so I wasn't sure.

I think you're right.

But this might need a letter to the Colts.com mailbag to ask Kevin Bowen if he knows for sure....

Thanks for the response....     appreciate it!       :thmup:

Not sure if trust Kevin Bowens opinion.  After being asked a million times before the draft he said it had to be a pass rush taken in the 1st and even more than just the 1st.  When asked about the secondary he said it was not that big of a concern.   He is only guessing.  

But it I understand it's entertaining to some people  

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

Not sure if trust Kevin Bowens opinion.  After being asked a million times before the draft he said it had to be a pass rush taken in the 1st and even more than just the 1st.  When asked about the secondary he said it was not that big of a concern.   He is only guessing.  

But it I understand it's entertaining to some people  

Sorry to disagree....    but....

I think you've either got Bowen confused with someone else....   or you're mis-remembering.

I read his letters to the editor column and he never said the secondary was not that big of a concern.      And if he talked about the pass rush,  I think you've taken this answer out of context.      

As far as priorities,  pass rush WAS the number one need.    Still is.      We took the best player available and he had no problem with it.     And he always said secdonary,  specifically corner,  was the 2nd biggest need.   And the reason I remember that is because those were my two top priorities for the draft as well.

There's a difference between llisting priorities and what happens in the actual draft....

And if you think Bowen's guesses are no better than anyone else's,  then I think you're mis-reading the situation.

14 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

"Warm up against the Rams"???

When did the Rams defense become tackle dummies? Arguably the best defensive player is on that unit. One hit from him could put Andrew right back on the shelf. Not to mention the addition of Wade Phillips as DC I do believe. That's not gonna be a cakewalk 

16 hours ago, krunk said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Mike linebacker more of a run stuffer while the Will is more of a coverage LB?

33 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Mike linebacker more of a run stuffer while the Will is more of a coverage LB?

Mike makes all the calls, the field general.  That's why Pagano and Ballard are so high on Ant Walkers football intelligence and the fact that his father is a coach.  When they kept talking about that I sort of knew they wanted him to play Mike.  That's the guy you're depending on to get you in the proper defensive alignments and what not.  In this defense the person at that position is usually bigger because you have to take on more blocks in the run game.  Will is usually the lighter guy who has the ability to chase and cover. Takes on less head on blocks.  Guys like Spence and Edwin Jackson.  Jerrell Freeman.

But I do think Ant Walker is Athletic enough to play either position to be honest.   I could see a scenario if Bostic plays well enough where Walker could at some point be moved to the Will as well.  I don't see that right now, but it's not impossible.

42 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

When you hear coach Chuck Pagano describe the duties of the “Mike” linebacker in the Colts’ 3-4 scheme, it’s hard to imagine a kid fresh out of college could handle the laundry list of tasks.

“It’s getting the call through the coach-to-player communication system, delivering the call, seeing the offense come out of the huddle, get guys lined up, make a strength call, make a close call, there’s run fits, there’s coverage checks – there’s a lot going on for those guys,” Pagano said.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/06/06/colts-observations-rookie-walker-adding-intrigue-ilb/369980001/

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

When did the Rams defense become tackle dummies? Arguably the best defensive player is on that unit. One hit from him could put Andrew right back on the shelf. Not to mention the addition of Wade Phillips as DC I do believe. That's not gonna be a cakewalk 

Agreed. That Rams D-Line is really good. It's going to give us problems. Additionally, Luck may be rusty, so I could see us dropping that game.

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

25 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Agreed. That Rams D-Line is really good. It's going to give us problems. Additionally, Luck may be rusty, so I could see us dropping that game.

I realize I was being a little flippant about the Rams.  I know every game counts.

I know we're not the Pats, but they didn't have their QB for the first 4 games last year, and still came out smelling like roses.

I'm just trying to make the point that we shouldn't freak out if Andrew isn't throwing in TC or preseason.  Plus, we all know he is the type of player that needs to take a good hit to knock off any rust and get his head in the game.  He's admitted to this in the past.

7 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Luck has been great against wades defense  with much better talent than the rams on defense in a Denver....that being said last time we played the rams Tavon Austin had his ONLY career game of his life against us lmao  soo I'd be more worried about how our defense plays against their offense