Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck

Steamboat_Shaun

Not trying to be a negative Nancy, just trying to get some perspective, but is anyone else starting to get concerned that Luck's rehab may spill over into the regular season? The only reason I ask is because we're into June now (albeit only 2 days), and I assumed that by this point that we'd at least have somewhat of a clearer picture of where he's at with his recovery, and the team would have an idea of what his timetable for return is. We have neither of those, and in my opinion, it's to the point now that it's a little concerning.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not worrying about it. I know they keep saying they have no put a timetable on it or anything... but considering the competition ballard is bringing in at all other positions, do you really think they would let the qb position sit so bare if they were worried about #12?

At least we have a pretty favorable schedule and we don't even play anyone from our division until a few games in.  If there was a year that Luck can't start the first game, this is it.  Tolzien (or whoever wins that spot) has a decent shot at winning against the Rams.

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not trying to be a negative Nancy, just trying to get some perspective, but is anyone else starting to get concerned that Luck's rehab may spill over into the regular season? The only reason I ask is because we're into June now (albeit only 2 days), and I assumed that by this point that we'd at least have somewhat of a clearer picture of where he's at with his recovery, and the team would have an idea of what his timetable for return is. We have neither of those, and in my opinion, it's to the point now that it's a little concerning.

Everything I've heard indicates he'll be ready for camp.  

I agree, it can be a little concerning but I'm not to worried. They are truly doing the right thing and letting time be the answer. Everyone responds different so they don't want to give out a possible date and if it's not met people freak out. I honestly think he will miss training camp but can see him playing the last 2 preseason games. Also, Luck's reaction in the OTA interview seems confident that he will be out there Game 1 but he definetly does not seem confident about training camp. The one I'm concerned about is Geathers. 

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Everything I've heard indicates he'll be ready for camp.  

I've basically heard the same. But living so far out of the state, I don't have the local nuggets of info that some in Indy may have, I probably should've elaborated on that in my OP. I'm kind of hoping to gain a little bit of local insight, if there's any to be had, because from where I'm sitting it's all hush hush regarding Luck.

4 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I agree, it can be a little concerning but I'm not to worried. They are truly doing the right thing and letting time be the answer. Everyone responds different so they don't want to give out a possible date and if it's not met people freak out. I honestly think he will miss training camp but can see him playing the last 2 preseason games. Also, Luck's reaction in the OTA interview seems confident that he will be out there Game 1 but he definetly does not seem confident about training camp. The one I'm concerned about is Geathers. 

Until I hear something positive about Geathers, I'm assuming he misses at least the first half of the season, so I've kind of already made peace with that. Butler, Hooker, and Green will just have to hold things down until he's healthy, which is manageable IMO. But if Luck were to miss even the first, say, 3 games, we're screwed.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Until I hear something positive about Geathers, I'm assuming he misses at least the first half of the season, so I've kind of already made peace with that. Butler, Hooker, and Green will just have to hold things down until he's healthy, which is manageable IMO. But if Luck were to miss even the first, say, 3 games, we're screwed.

Ya same here. I made peace that he may miss time especially with them having T.J working out at SS. I will say he could come back for game 1 but with neck surgery is something you do not want to rush. If Luck were to miss a games I hope it's only 1 but I honestly think he will be out there the first game unless something happens in his rehab. I just pray and hope Luck and Geathers are out there on The first game.

42 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I've basically heard the same. But living so far out of the state, I don't have the local nuggets of info that some in Indy may have, I probably should've elaborated on that in my OP. I'm kind of hoping to gain a little bit of local insight, if there's any to be had, because from where I'm sitting it's all hush hush regarding Luck.

I can't help you there.  I live in state, but I'm about as far from Indianapolis as you can possibly be while still being in the state of Indiana.  I live outside of South Bend about 5 miles from the Michigan state line.  

I have been saying it for a while now, we should be very concerned. Major surgery to his throwing shoulder which some never recover from.They said he could resume throwing after three months, its been over 5 and he's still not throwing. He no doubt will start camp on PUP in my opinion.  JMV says he's been told that he's not progressing as fast as they had hoped. I'm always the pessimist but I've already resigned myself to him missing several games in my mind. Then there's the rust factor.

I don't think it spills over to the regular season,   but I believe he WON'T be cleared for practice when camp opens in late July.

I'm guessing he gets the green light shortly thereafter....      I suspect he starts playing either week 2 or 3 of the pre-season.

11 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I have been saying it for a while now, we should be very concerned. Major surgery to his throwing shoulder which some never recover from.They said he could resume throwing after three months, its been over 5 and he's still not throwing. He no doubt will start camp on PUP in my opinion.  JMV says he's been told that he's not progressing as fast as they had hoped. I'm always the pessimist but I've already resigned myself to him missing several games in my mind.

It hasn't been over 5 months....   Yet.     he had the surgery mid-January.      So, it's been 4 and a half months.

And we don't know that he's not throwing,   we only know that he's not practicing....       I wouldn't be surprised to keep Luck's routine out of sight....      he could be throwing at the indoor facility.      We just don't know.

I would not be surprised to have the front office keeping us in the dark until he gets the green light to start practicing with the team in front of the media....     and that might not come until August....

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

I'm not worrying about it. I know they keep saying they have no put a timetable on it or anything... but considering the competition ballard is bringing in at all other positions, do you really think they would let the qb position sit so bare if they were worried about #12?

1 hour ago, Albaby said:

At least we have a pretty favorable schedule and we don't even play anyone from our division until a few games in.  If there was a year that Luck can't start the first game, this is it.  Tolzien (or whoever wins that spot) has a decent shot at winning against the Rams.

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

16 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I have been saying it for a while now, we should be very concerned. Major surgery to his throwing shoulder which some never recover from.They said he could resume throwing after three months, its been over 5 and he's still not throwing. He no doubt will start camp on PUP in my opinion.  JMV says he's been told that he's not progressing as fast as they had hoped. I'm always the pessimist but I've already resigned myself to him missing several games in my mind. Then there's the rust factor.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think it spills over to the regular season,   but I believe he WON'T be cleared for practice when camp opens in late July.

I'm guessing he gets the green light shortly thereafter....      I suspect he starts playing either week 2 or 3 of the pre-season.

My fantasy-football-self is nervous because I want to draft him.  :beg:   (Although if he isn't going to start the season, then I should be able to pick him up in later rounds... :thinking:)

But my Colt-fan-self would be fine with him missing the first month of the season.  His health in November-February is paramount.  We have the Rams and Browns in the first month, so Luck would probably be riding the bench for the 2nd half of both those games anyway... haha  I'd be OK with 2-2 after the first four games, whether Luck plays or not.

Besides, the starting QB missing the 1st month seemed to work out for the SB winner from last year...  :hide:

26 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'm not gonna feel good until I see a video of him throwing a football, on target, with velocity. Training camp opens July 30, so it definitely feels like time's starting to work against him.

I understand the concerned feeling, but everything will be fine. Andrew will be ready to go for the season. Hopefully, he won't get injured again because the main reason why he did is gone. It's Grigson's fault for not building a line to protect him. Man do I hate that guy

Here is a timeline of Luck's injury and how the Colts were not forthcoming with accurate information related to Luck.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/everything-the-colts-said-about-lucks-injury-for-two-years-raises-red-flags/

After reading the article, you should understand one thing: What the Colts tell you about any players injuries are not reliable. We will not know anything about Luck's status until we see him on the field.

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It hasn't been over 5 months....   Yet.     he had the surgery mid-January.      So, it's been 4 and a half months.

And we don't know that he's not throwing,   we only know that he's not practicing....       I wouldn't be surprised to keep Luck's routine out of sight....      he could be throwing at the indoor facility.      We just don't know.

I would not be surprised to have the front office keeping us in the dark until he gets the green light to start practicing with the team in front of the media....     and that might not come until August....

Nice post here & the best way to look at Luck's recovery prognosis. It sounds like you drafted front office statements before. Are you moonlighting as INDY's head of public relations? All kidding aside, I agree 100%

No need to fret yet. Chewbacca will be just fine when practices really matter or games for that matter. 

11 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Here is a timeline of Luck's injury and how the Colts were not forthcoming with accurate information related to Luck.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/everything-the-colts-said-about-lucks-injury-for-two-years-raises-red-flags/

After reading the article, you should understand one thing: What the Colts tell you about any players injuries are not reliable. We will not know anything about Luck's status until we see him on the field.

What the Colts do and don't do with the injury reports is no different than what any other NFL team does.

Brady has been on an injury report pretty much his whole career.

Injury reports are just a part of mind games teams use.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

What the Colts do and don't do with the injury reports is no different than what any other NFL team does.

Brady has been on an injury report pretty much his whole career.

Injury reports are just a part of mind games teams use.  

It's not the injury reports that I care about.

It's telling the public that Luck was fine, only to miss games in 2015. Then after the Denver game, telling the public that Luck would be back after a few weeks, only to miss the remainder of the season. Then in 2016, stating that Luck was back to normal, however, Luck was dealing with immense pain and taking injections. Of course they do not have to disclose Luck's shoulder pain to the public, but my point is: Do not listen to the Colts staff. We will have to wait and see how Luck is once he's on the field. Disregard anything you hear from the coaches or the front office.

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The bolded part is very true, and I hadn't taken that possibility into consideration.

28 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I understand the concerned feeling, but everything will be fine. Andrew will be ready to go for the season. Hopefully, he won't get injured again because the main reason why he did is gone. It's Grigson's fault for not building a line to protect him. Man do I hate that guy

Pointing a finger at Grigson is just part of the problem.

1-Luck holding the ball too long

2-Luck's running the ball with a linebackers mentality taking hits when it wasn't necessary.

3-Poor offensive schemes that called plays that take too much time to develop.

I read through Flash 7's CBS article & the entire premise of the story is the last line: 

"But the entire convoluted timeline sure seems like a situation where the team was in denial about how injured their star quarterback was for about two years."

Teams often use creative license when disclosing injury reports on players. That's nothing new. If you wanna make the case that in the past our strength & conditioning coach struggled to keep bodies available & fresh fine, but every staff fudges injury reports come on. It's the nature of the beast over 16 weeks Flash. 

Would you rather endorse full disclosure & then LBs & DEs can attack sensitive areas on your face of the franchise full bore, hades bent for leather, take no prisoners? I highly doubt that. 

10 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

It's telling the public that Luck was fine, only to miss games in 2015. Then after the Denver game, telling the public that Luck would be back after a few weeks, only to miss the remainder of the season. Then in 2016, stating that Luck was back to normal, however, Luck was dealing with immense pain and taking injections. Of course they do not have to disclose Luck's shoulder pain to the public, but my point is: Do not listen to the Colts staff. We will have to wait and see how Luck is once he's on the field. Disregard anything you hear from the coaches or the front office.

It's nothing new. Like I said, all NFL teams do this and use it as a mind game.

In 2016 how do you know the front office knew that Luck was going to miss the remainder of the season?

You act like they lied when they more than likely only were relating what the doctors were telling them.

You make an issue out of normal actions of all NFL teams.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's nothing new. Like I said, all NFL teams do this and use it as a mind game.

In 2016 how do you know the front office knew that Luck was going to miss the remainder of the season?

You act like they lied when they more than likely only were relating what the doctors were telling them.

You make an issue out of normal actions of all NFL teams.

Ask yourself: What point is Flash trying to make? Is he just belittling the Colts staff, or is he pointing out that over the past couple of years they have provided unreliable information?

If I am merely belittling the Colts staff, then I am a jerk, and no need to pay any attention to me. (Maybe the case).

If I am simply providing data that points to the fact that the Colts staff has said one thing and the results have shown another, then I am not a jerk. I am simply stating that we will have to take a "wait and see" approach while disregarding what the Staff and FO say. Because we all have acknowledged that there are games played in the NFL and the Colts are no different.

So, if the Staff and FO say Luck is on schedule, he may not be. Just keep that in mind. However, if you see Luck start to practice and he's throwing the ball, then there is reason for optimism. We haven't seen that yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Luck, Geathers, and Hooker, all miss the start of the season.  Geathers' injury takes us back to the Manning situation where it's difficult to determine how much nerve damage has occurred (if any) and how that impacts muscle strength/function.  While Hooker and Luck's injuries involved Labral tears. Return to play after Labral surgery is very difficult to predict without knowing the amount of damage in the joint and the healing time needed.  The Labrum heals very slowly because of poor vascular blood flow.  I hope I'm wrong on all.

I understand that many are not happy with the Colt's coaches and medical staff, but it's not easy to predict how long (and in some case if athletes will return at all) it will be until return to play.  First understand that you are talking about medical information which is private (and the Colts have no right to talk about medical information without the athlete's permission).  Secondly it's not easy to predict when the person will return to play because everyone heals differently.  In Manning's case I would wager that his doctor's didn't know if he would ever play again.  Peripheral nerve regeneration is almost impossible to predict.   In Luck's case, my guess is that the doctors told CP that he would be fine with rest (and he passed that on to us).  He wasn't going to tell us (and other teams) that Luck had a shoulder injury and he may not be able to play.  My best guess is none of the medical staff knew that he would need shoulder surgery until after the scans. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pointing a finger at Grigson is just part of the problem.

1-Luck holding the ball too long

2-Luck's running the ball with a linebackers mentality taking hits when it wasn't necessary.

3-Poor offensive schemes that called plays that take too much time to develop.

Andrew does have these types of plays. They're not good and he should be better than that. And we all know about the offensive game plans. But that still doesn't mean he couldn't have had an OL

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

My fantasy-football-self is nervous because I want to draft him.  :beg:   (Although if he isn't going to start the season, then I should be able to pick him up in later rounds... :thinking:)

But my Colt-fan-self would be fine with him missing the first month of the season.  His health in November-February is paramount.  We have the Rams and Browns in the first month, so Luck would probably be riding the bench for the 2nd half of both those games anyway... haha  I'd be OK with 2-2 after the first four games, whether Luck plays or not.

Besides, the starting QB missing the 1st month seemed to work out for the SB winner from last year...  :hide:

I don't think you have reason to worry --- yet.

I'd draft Luck.     But I wouldn't expect him to be sitting at all.     It's not his way.   And I doubt the Colts will be good enough to blow-out the Rams at home or even Cleveland.     I'd expect Luck to play those entire games.   Honestly,  once he's back,  I expect him to be 100% and playing as usual.

I just think he's going to be 2-3 weeks behind schedule when camp opens.     Really,  nothing more than that.

Of coruse,   those are my words from the first few days of June....     who knows what I'll think if bad news surfaces in July?

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Ths is not a Colts thing.  or a Colts problem.

This is how all 32 teams do business in the NFL.    

Information is King and teams keep it as secret as they can for as long as they can.

It's the way of the NFL world....

The Colts aren't going to say anything about Luck's injury so I wouldn't take no news to mean much.

Honestly from the get go Will Carroll warned this wasn't a simple operation and it would take time for him to get back and warned some never come all the way back.  All along he seemed to think Luck would be back but this was something Colts fans should be more concerned about than many were.

i think it is possiable this could linger into the start of the season, even if it doesn't I doubt we see him in game action before then.

34 minutes ago, JRoss1997 said:

I apologize and should've been more concise in my previous statement "I hope I'm wrong".  I should've said I hope I'm wrong, as a worst case scenario, that all three would not be ready and available in game one. 

I know you've been here since late 2015,  but you're just getting your feet wet with posting...

Hopoe you enjoy the website....      it can be a bit addictive!        But the idea is to have fun!

So, a belated welcome to you....      Enjoy!               :thmup:

Thanks NewColtsFan!  It's great to hear what Colts fans are saying (most of the time).  I'm on here on most days just to see what's up, generally don't post unless I have something to add that's not been covered.  I use to live in Indiana and have Colts season tickets, but this is a good way to keep up with the team.  As with all Colts fans, I'm hoping we make a big jump this year. 

5 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

What kind of surgery did Luck have exactly, and what other QB had his career ruin due to the same surgery?

Just now, BOTT said:

What kind of surgery did Luck have exactly, and what other QB had his career ruin due to the same surgery?

Labrum Surgery. Brees is the only guy I can recall having a good career after it. Other names like Tim Couch, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, and Jay Cutler. They played but not for very long. Braxton Miller had two in college, part of the reason he moved to receiver.  Not a common injury for an NFL QB, more seen in Baseball pitchers I guess. In Basball the return rate for guys is lower.  Just going by what Will Caroll said. I'm not a doctor, but I have been injured a lot lol