Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Power Index Predicts Colts Win the AFC South....

NewColtsFan

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

I don't know how you come to that conclusion.

AFC for the last decade or so has been very top heavy. Two or three real contenders that everyone has mapped out all year. The NFC is more fluid but doesn't usually have a stalwart team or teams that everyone knows are the favorites. Everyone knew the AFC was likely coming down to the Patriots or Steelers this year, with the Raiders being the dark horse. The NFC could have been Green Bay, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, and even New York if they got hot. There wasn't really a standout unless you count Dallas where the sentiment was "yeah they are winning a lot, let's see if they are real come playoff time". 

It was like that in the early 2000's too. The Patriots/Colts/Steelers ran the AFC and everybody knew it. The NFC was basically a lottery pick every year. Philadelphia was the most consistent team, but aside from 04 they always got bested by the hot hand. 

It depends on how you look at it. A conference with 5-6 teams that range from B+ to B- is going to be more competetive than a conference with 2 A+'s. But does that make that conference "better"? 

Since 2002 only one team really broke the Brady/Ben/Manning power structure in the AFC and that was the Ravens with Flacco having what at the time was the best statistical playoff performance in history. You have to be exceptional to beat the elites in the AFC, you just have to get hot to do it in the NFC. 

20 minutes ago, footballhero1 said:

AFC for the last decade or so has been very top heavy. Two or three real contenders that everyone has mapped out all year. The NFC is more fluid but doesn't usually have a stalwart team or teams that everyone knows are the favorites. Everyone knew the AFC was likely coming down to the Patriots or Steelers this year, with the Raiders being the dark horse. The NFC could have been Green Bay, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, and even New York if they got hot. There wasn't really a standout unless you count Dallas where the sentiment was "yeah they are winning a lot, let's see if they are real come playoff time". 

It was like that in the early 2000's too. The Patriots/Colts/Steelers ran the AFC and everybody knew it. The NFC was basically a lottery pick every year. Philadelphia was the most consistent team, but aside from 04 they always got bested by the hot hand. 

It depends on how you look at it. A conference with 5-6 teams that range from B+ to B- is going to be more competetive than a conference with 2 A+'s. But does that make that conference "better"? 

Since 2002 only one team really broke the Brady/Ben/Manning power structure in the AFC and that was the Ravens with Flacco having what at the time was the best statistical playoff performance in history. You have to be exceptional to beat the elites in the AFC, you just have to get hot to do it in the NFC. 

That was a long response, but I will say the Steelers aren't really that great.....far to inconsistent.  So the afc is the Patriots and.......? And the Falcons were stomping the patriots until they decided to be stupid.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

That was a long response, but I will say the Steelers aren't really that great.....far to inconsistent.  So the afc is the Patriots and.......? And the Falcons were stomping the patriots until they decided to be stupid.

The Steelers probably have the best trifecta of offensive skill players in the NFL with Ben/Brown/Bell. Top 5 QB, the best WR and RB. And they beefed up their defense a bit. Their problem is they can't stay healthy and they struggle to beat the Patriots.

I don't know how much it can be a stomping if all of it can be un done in about a quarter and 2 mins. There were a lot of intricacies you can look at that were masked by turnovers early on (14 of the 28 Falcons points came off 3 plays, they weren't really sustaining long drives, they couldn't convert on third down, they struggled to keep the Patriots off the field, they mismanaged the clock all game not just the last quarter, they had very poor time of possession at a rate of 2 to 1). It was going to catch up with them eventually, the question was how much time did those early points buy them. 

Also, that's one game, that they won anyways. My point is, every year the AFC comes down to 2 teams maybe 3. Everybody knows it most of the year. Back in the 2000's it was the Patriots and Colts with maybe the Steelers added on. Then in the 2010's it became the Patriots and Broncos. Now it's the Patriots and Steelers with the Raiders maybe having a chance. The NFC is a crapshoot where one team never stands out and anything can happen in the playoffs. The last time a team in the NFC dominated the whole year and seemed like a lock for a Super Bowl slot was the Saints in 2009. Maybe Seattle in 2013

12 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Switch the Jags and Texans, and you are probably spot-on.  Colts with maybe 12 wins.

I just see a serious regression from Houston this year. Their QB situation is going to cost them. In Watt's rookie year they won the division, and the next year they had the number one overall pick. Not saying that'll be their fate this year, but the NFL has a funny way of doing things sometimes. Agreed about the Colts with 12 wins. I've got a good feeling this year, and it'll be even better if Geathers is healthy.

56 minutes ago, footballhero1 said:

The Steelers probably have the best trifecta of offensive skill players in the NFL with Ben/Brown/Bell. Top 5 QB, the best WR and RB. And they beefed up their defense a bit. Their problem is they can't stay healthy and they struggle to beat the Patriots.

I don't know how much it can be a stomping if all of it can be un done in about a quarter and 2 mins. There were a lot of intricacies you can look at that were masked by turnovers early on (14 of the 28 Falcons points came off 3 plays, they weren't really sustaining long drives, they couldn't convert on third down, they struggled to keep the Patriots off the field, they mismanaged the clock all game not just the last quarter, they had very poor time of possession at a rate of 2 to 1). It was going to catch up with them eventually, the question was how much time did those early points buy them. 

Also, that's one game, that they won anyways. My point is, every year the AFC comes down to 2 teams maybe 3. Everybody knows it most of the year. Back in the 2000's it was the Patriots and Colts with maybe the Steelers added on. Then in the 2010's it became the Patriots and Broncos. Now it's the Patriots and Steelers with the Raiders maybe having a chance. The NFC is a crapshoot where one team never stands out and anything can happen in the playoffs. The last time a team in the NFC dominated the whole year and seemed like a lock for a Super Bowl slot was the Saints in 2009. Maybe Seattle in 2013

Well, it comes down to 2 teams every year because the afc isn't very good.

12 wins?!?

I certainly hope that happens....      but to predict that?

Wishful thinking....    

This rebuild was never going to be a 1-year job.    It was always going to be a multiyear project.

12 wins in year one seems Pie in the Sky to me....         

It would be great if it happens,   but I wouldn't bet on it...

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

12 wins?!?

I certainly hope that happens....      but to predict that?

Wishful thinking....    

This rebuild was never going to be a 1-year job.    It was always going to be a multiyear project.

12 wins in year one seems Pie in the Sky to me....         

It would be great if it happens,   but I wouldn't bet on it...

That's the high-end for wins IMO, I'd put the low end around 8/9.

What can I say, I'm the eternal optimist.  We have a favorable schedule.  

18 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Why should it be 10 places higher? Just curious.

Where do I start? we're at the bottom of nearly every category in the league. We added several capable players that were much better than last year's group and we added Hankins as our nose tackle. We added a future Pro Bowl safety and a much heralded cornerback in Wilson. You don't think we can get in the top 20?

On 6/2/2017 at 3:19 AM, southwest1 said:

You do make a valid point TK. My only reservation now is 2 words: Tom Coughlin. They won under him before [playoffs I mean] & while he's not patrolling the sidelines again; he knows what winning football looks like, sounds like, feels like, & requires. 

I won't predict a reversal of fortune here & now, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I was a little nervous. 

I met tom coughlin before it was awesome. I had a colts sweater on and he was like ahhh get outta here with that lol. He was totally badass in person. in great shape too for a 70 yo

22 hours ago, King Colt said:

Yes, she died of a drug overdose. Amazing how many wrestlers die prematurely. The list is long.

Once a wrestler hits 50 their chances of death are twice that of a normal person. We still have Hulk and Naitch, but Piper, Savage (car accident), Warrior, and especially Eddie Guerrero broke my heart when I heard about them.

7 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Once a wrestler hits 50 their chances of death are twice that of a normal person. We still have Hulk and Naitch, but Piper, Savage (car accident), Warrior, and especially Eddie Guerrero broke my heart when I heard about them.

I was not aware Piper died. Are you sure? The recent deaths are more attributed to steroids abuse.

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I was not aware Piper died. Are you sure? The recent deaths are more attributed to steroids abuse.

He died in 2015 at age 61. Other notables within the last two decades are Lance Cade, Ric Flair's son, Test, Umaga, Benoit, Big Boss Man, Viscera, Rick Rude, Yokozuna, Mr. Perfect, Balls Mahoney, Bam Bam Bigelow, Chyna. Mostly drug overdoses or heart failure from steroids/drugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_professional_wrestling_deaths