Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck among the Elites

TKnight24

Besides the point, but there is really no reason that Brees isn't on that list besides his defense sucks. He broke the single season record for completions, led the league in yards  with another plus 5000 season, had the 2nd highest completion percentage, was top 3 in TD's (behind Rodgers and Ryan, who are there), and had a top 5 passer rating over 100 (where 3 of the 4 ahead of him were Rodgers/Ryan/Brady, who made the cut here).

It's almost egregious.

10 hours ago, footballhero1 said:

Besides the point, but there is really no reason that Brees isn't on that list besides his defense sucks. He broke the single season record for completions, led the league in yards  with another plus 5000 season, had the 2nd highest completion percentage, was top 3 in TD's (behind Rodgers and Ryan, who are there), and had a top 5 passer rating over 100 (where 3 of the 4 ahead of him were Rodgers/Ryan/Brady, who made the cut here).

It's almost egregious.

Brees should play better than, plenty of people have % defenses including us.

12 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Brees should play better than, plenty of people have % defenses including us.

Better than...?  What?  And did you read the full post you replied to or only the first sentence?

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

Better than...?  What?  And did you read the full post you replied to or only the first sentence?

Meant to say then*. He had great offensive stats but there are clearly omitted stats that contributed to him not being graded as high as the other four.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Meant to say then*. He had great offensive stats but there are clearly omitted stats that contributed to him not being graded as high as the other four.

That is the difference between QBR and Passer rating. Obviously, both are flawed, but IMO QBR has more merit and is not 100% stat based. Notice Dak is not as high here as he was in passer rating rankings.

51 minutes ago, life long said:

That is the difference between QBR and Passer rating. Obviously, both are flawed, but IMO QBR has more merit and is not 100% stat based. Notice Dak is not as high here as he was in passer rating rankings.

imo both have equal merit, just depending on what you're trying to evaluate.  obviously passer rating doesn't take any scrambling or QB rushing yards into account.  It's purely to get an idea of what kind of game the QB had purely from a passing standpoint.  

If we start mixing in some more 3 step drops, Luck stays healthy and consistent, the dude is going to be the best in the league. Our Oline isn't nearly as bad at pass blocking as they're made out to be, and I like the future there with Haeg and Clark on the right side. 

I'm pretty excited to be honest, especially with the defensive heavy offseason. 

6 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

If we start mixing in some more 3 step drops, Luck stays healthy and consistent, the dude is going to be the best in the league. Our Oline isn't nearly as bad at pass blocking as they're made out to be, and I like the future there with Haeg and Clark on the right side. 

I'm pretty excited to be honest, especially with the defensive heavy offseason. 

I really think the oline is fixed, just young, outside of Castonzo who is a little older but not over the hill.

I think the biggest problem with Luck right now is he doesn't give up on a play but at the same time that's what makes him special so it's a double edged sword.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I really think the oline is fixed, just young, outside of Castonzo who is a little older but not over the hill.

I think the biggest problem with Luck right now is he doesn't give up on a play but at the same time that's what makes him special so it's a double edged sword.

Yep that's been my biggest gripe about him since he's been in the league. Some of it seems to be by design. Hoping to see it change a little bit going forward as Ballard seems to have indicated that it's a problem. 

Gotta disagree with you on Castonzo though; he may be about the oldest guy on the team not named Vinatieri, but he's a lock on the left side. Not that he's elite, but he's an above average LT and I think he'd look a lot better without being asked to block for 7 step drops half the time. 

2 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Yep that's been my biggest gripe about him since he's been in the league. Some of it seems to be by design. Hoping to see it change a little bit going forward as Ballard seems to have indicated that it's a problem. 

Gotta disagree with you on Castonzo though; he may be about the oldest guy on the team not named Vinatieri, but he's a lock on the left side. Not that he's elite, but he's an above average LT and I think he'd look a lot better without being asked to block for 7 step drops half the time. 

Yeah I probably came across as harsh on Castonzo which wasn't my intent.  I think he's good, just not a superstar which is fine.

i was just making the point he's the "old man" of the line as everyone else is at most a third year player.  He's still not old though.  

As for Luck I heard a radio interview where Ballard pretty much said you have to let Luck be Luck or you can ruin a special player.  I just think they really need to drive it into him an incomplete pass is far from the worst that can happen on a play.

Agreed. I definitely don't want to change Luck but our 3 step/7 step drop ratio is insane. This comes down to the offensive coordinators and it's been the same since Arians. We have receivers that can get quick separation and I just can't figure out why they choose to run these long developing routes all the time. Could be because we haven't been an effective screen running team, but there are other ways to get rid of the ball quickly, we just rarely do it. 

Anyway, Luck is a special player, I'd just like to see him take on some Peyton/Brady like attributes rather than opting to be a Favre/ Roethlesberger type. 

12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Calm down Skip Bayless.

The thing that always cracks me up about Skip is that he always latches on to a false narrative of his own creation or taking a statement out of context anyway. 

Phil Sims & others would marvel at Luck's ability to make accurate throws in the pocket with bodies all around him basically saying that since Chewbacca could take a hit & not flinch that he possessed all the ingredients of a HOF pedigree. 

Skip naturally twisted this remark into an outlandish slight that Luck had already been named a destined lock HOF shoe in in the NFL. It's like when Micheal Jackson became known as "The King Of Pop." You know who gave him that self imposed label? Michael Jackson himself. 

Translation: Mr. Bayless hates Luck & whenever INDY fails to win the division, make a deep playoffs run, or secure another AFC Championship Game appearance, he always says something like what's a matter? Andrew Lock should be able to do this from what all these HOF analysts tell me? It drives me nuts because Skip created the false narrative & then he holds Andrew to a self imposed standard that he not Luck created. It's laughably absurd. 

5 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Agreed. I definitely don't want to change Luck but our 3 step/7 step drop ratio is insane. This comes down to the offensive coordinators and it's been the same since Arians. We have receivers that can get quick separation and I just can't figure out why they choose to run these long developing routes all the time. Could be because we haven't been an effective screen running team, but there are other ways to get rid of the ball quickly, we just rarely do it. 

Anyway, Luck is a special player, I'd just like to see him take on some Peyton/Brady like attributes rather than opting to be a Favre/ Roethlesberger type. 

Watching the WRs closely over the past couple of years they struggle to get open a lot outside of TY who has his moments too.  So I think sometimes Luck holds the ball longer than the play is designed for because no one is open.  

Our screen game on both sides of the ball is embarrassing.  The offense runs the most predictable screens ever and then don't even come close to getting the blocking they need and the defense looks like it's never seen a screen pass before.

All and all I haven't been overly impressed with Chud's offense but that might just be me.  Honestly it looks a lot like the passing game Pep liked which tells me that the head coach is telling the OC what kind of offense he wants to run which is clearly his right as HC but I don't like the offense.  Just my opinion on that. 

15 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Sign Skip Bayless, Teddy Bruschi and Stephen A. Smith

I'm with ya on Skip & Stephen A. but as far as I can remember all Teddy really said regarding Luck was throw the ball away more & don't put your team in harms way by throwing a pick. That's constructive criticism to me. 

Then again, I don't watch ESPN anymore other then MNF so, I have no idea what Bruschi is saying now either. 

I wish Luck would stop tackling guys when he throws a pick too. His body must take less punishment not more. At least, try & cut down on contact whenever you can as a QB. 

On 5/31/2017 at 11:18 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Nah the guy is trash he isn't living up to the hype!! 

:sarcasm:

On 6/1/2017 at 10:22 AM, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Sign Skip Bayless, Teddy Bruschi and Stephen A. Smith

On 6/1/2017 at 0:16 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Calm down Skip Bayless.

If you ask jokers like Skip Bayless, he will tell you that not even Peyton Manning lived up to the hype of being the #1 overall pick.  "Should have won more SBs" and no 1st-round QB will EVER live up to the hype until they have more rings than Brady...

According to Bayless, Bruschi, and Smith, Brady is the ONLY QB to ever meet/exceed the "hype"...  :sigh:  

I like Skip Bayless' first name, because that's the button I hit when one of his videos pops up... SKIP!