Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fantasy Football 2017

Is it too early? Nah. lol

Here are the standings from last season. As normal the bottom two teams are going to be sent to the Joe's League ( @Colt92 )

1. Broosters @buccolts

2. God Hates Jags @HOFClipboardHolder

3. Out of Bounds @crazycolt1

4. Kanye East @Rich Cannon

5. SilentHill @SilentHill

6. AxeIF @chad72

7. VU Cru @Valpo2004

8. Bluefire4 @Bluefire4

9. IndyD4U @IndyD4U

10. Spoonfish @spoonfish

11. Welcome to the Hard Gore @Narcosys

12. The Forever Unclean's @Juanjo

Let's start off with this:

1. If you are not returning please let me know ASAP, once we have the confirmed returning members then we can see who is going to move up from Joe's.

2. If you are returning then throw out some idea's for this season to be voted on, I for one would like to switch back to Yahoo instead of NFL.com

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

I am returning. I would prefer Yahoo, the whole experience is better, IMO, including match up trash talk individualized to the match up :) plus mobile app is much better too and does not crash on me like the nfl.com one.

My recommendations: Everything seems fine except for one request on my part. I would like the 2 FLEX positions to be WR/RB/TE and WR/TE. I had Jimmy Graham last year and as the year went on, I could have picked up Zach Ertz but based on the line ups, I could not play 2 TEs, hence chose not to, and Ertz had a hot streak at the end. 2 TEs may not end up being 2 good TEs in most cases but if you do have the chance to play a second TE, it would be nice, it adds flexibility to the pass catching positions at the FLEX and adds value to the TE position too in waivers since it is already devalued without a mandatory TE.

Just my two cents.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:39 PM, SilentHill said:

Here are the standings from last season. As normal the bottom two teams are going to be sent to the Joe's League ( @Colt92 )

1. Broosters @buccolts

6. AxeIF @chad72

7. VU Cru @Valpo2004

8. Bluefire4 @Bluefire4

9. IndyD4U @IndyD4U

10. Spoonfish @spoonfish

1. If you are not returning please let me know ASAP, once we have the confirmed returning members then we can see who is going to move up from Joe's.

2. If you are returning then throw out some idea's for this season to be voted on, I for one would like to switch back to Yahoo instead of NFL.com

Fantasy playoffs saved my rear.

VU Cru will be returning.  

To be perfectly honest I prefer NFL.com.  I just remember having a bunch of issues with Yahoo and NFL.com has worked perfectly. JMO

Other then that I'm of the opinion that waiver priority should go to the bottom ranked teams rather then how long it's been since you've made a successful waiver claim.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:39 PM, SilentHill said:

1. Broosters @buccolts

6. AxeIF @chad72

7. VU Cru @Valpo2004

8. Bluefire4 @Bluefire4

9. IndyD4U @IndyD4U

10. Spoonfish @spoonfish

How do I get in on this?  Is there a wait-list in case someone doesn't return?  Do I need to pay my dues in the minors or something?

48 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Fantasy playoffs saved my rear.

VU Cru will be returning.  

To be perfectly honest I prefer NFL.com.  I just remember having a bunch of issues with Yahoo and NFL.com has worked perfectly. JMO

Other then that I'm of the opinion that waiver priority should go to the bottom ranked teams rather then how long it's been since you've made a successful waiver claim.

Yeah, this is going to be a big point of contention for folks from several sides. For the longest time, it was going to the bottom ranked teams but then, early on in the season, 3-2 and 2-3 does not mean as much and waiver claims made early on in the season can shape more things than later in the season. Hence it makes sense so that a 3-2 team that has barely played the waivers have a "fighting chance" at a waiver claim than a 2-3 team that has had plenty of waiver moves but not the wins to show for it.

During the second half of the season, it makes more sense when it is after the 8th game, IMO, that a 3-5 team get priority over a 5-3 team.

If I am commish, I would do it based on how long it has been since you have made a successful claim for 8 games, and from games 9-13 (last 5 games), do it in reverse order of rankings the rest of the way all the way through the playoffs (another 3 games if you make it that far).

32 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

How do I get in on this?  Is there a wait-list in case someone doesn't return?  Do I need to pay my dues in the minors or something?

This is the Elite league. Pretty much every guy on this knows what the heck he is doing. Yeah, some oversights happen with a missing player in a line up occasionally because life happens but for the most part, people that are used to winning championships like a piece of cake in other leagues generally meet their match and eat a lot more humble pie in this league, IMO. :)  The playoff spots were not decided till week 13 in the Elite league last year.

We have an Average Joe's league and the Elite league. The top 2 in the Average Joe's league graduate to this Elite league, and the bottom two in the Elite league go to the Average Joe league. Unless someone drops out of the Average Joe league or Elite league, it is hard to get into either. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is the Elite league. Pretty much every guy on this knows what the heck he is doing. Yeah, some oversights happen with a missing player in a line up occasionally because life happens but for the most part, people that are used to winning championships like a piece of cake in other leagues generally meet their match and eat a lot more humble pie in this league, IMO. :)  The playoff spots were not decided till week 13 in the Elite league last year.

We have an Average Joe's league and the Elite league. The top 2 in the Average Joe's league graduate to this Elite league, and the bottom two in the Elite league go to the Average Joe league. Unless someone drops out of the Average Joe league or Elite league, it is hard to get into either. 

Thank you.  I will try to get my foot in the door in the Average Joe league.

Is there any way I can request a notification for an opening in the Joe league?

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, this is going to be a big point of contention for folks from several sides. For the longest time, it was going to the bottom ranked teams but then, early on in the season, 3-2 and 2-3 does not mean as much and waiver claims made early on in the season can shape more things than later in the season. Hence it makes sense so that a 3-2 team that has barely played the waivers have a "fighting chance" at a waiver claim than a 2-3 team that has had plenty of waiver moves but not the wins to show for it.

During the second half of the season, it makes more sense when it is after the 8th game, IMO, that a 3-5 team get priority over a 5-3 team.

If I am commish, I would do it based on how long it has been since you have made a successful claim for 8 games, and from games 9-13 (last 5 games), do it in reverse order of rankings the rest of the way all the way through the playoffs (another 3 games if you make it that far).

I would say 8 games is too many and would go more towards 6.

I'm not sure it could be set up this way but I would also consider making it so that teams with the same record the tie breaker is based on how long since last waiver claim rather then however the system decides to rank them.

2-3 teams should still get waivers before 5 - 0 teams but if there are 5 teams that are 2 - 3 there is no reason that the one the computer happens to rank last among that group is 5 spots ahead of the team that the computer ranks above that group.

Still if I had to choose between the two I'd prefer the waivers be based upon ranking.  

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Thank you.  I will try to get my foot in the door in the Average Joe league.

Is there any way I can request a notification for an opening in the Joe league?

A post will go up about it sometime I'm sure.  

Chad72 is overstating things a little bit.  First of all there is usually like 3 or 4 teams that don't play in any given year.  So if you watch for the thread for Joes league and when you see it get on there and say you'd like a spot if any are open, usually when it all ends up (and it may take a while for everyone to respond) you can probably get a spot.  I won't make any guarantees but there is a good chance.

To get into elite league you functionally have to play at least one season in Joes league.  Elite league automatically takes the top 2 from Joes league and drops the bottom 2 from last year.  But if they have openings then in my experience they will promote more up from Joes.  Last year was my first year in Elite league and I think I got promoted up after finishing either 3rd or 4th in Joes League.  

Elite league is a step up I think, no question but it's not that big of a step up.  I never won a championship in any league.  That said if they had gone with season ranking instead of playoff rankings last year I would be regulated back to Joes league this year.  I was at the bottom of the season rankings by far but somehow my team got hot in the playoffs and I won the consolation bracket.  The playoff rankings are what you see above, which is why I said earlier that the playoffs saved me last year.  

That said, there is usually one or 2 independent leagues that arn't affiliated with Elite/Joes that pop up on here every year and you can get into one of those too if you want.  

I will play.

I've never understood this difference between the two leagues by the way - I don't see a reason to have an elite and a non-elite league distinction. Last year I finished last and I should go to Joe's, where I don't know anyone while in the "elite" league I know people who I've been playing with for some years. As I said I don't really understand this division very well; If I had spent some years playing in the "2nd" league, then win the league I would not leave those guys behind to play in an "elite" league...

I don't know if my english level is enough to explain what I try to say. Anyway I'll play in any league you place me.

Best regards from Spain!

4 hours ago, Juanjo said:

I will play.

I've never understood this difference between the two leagues by the way - I don't see a reason to have an elite and a non-elite league distinction. Last year I finished last and I should go to Joe's, where I don't know anyone while in the "elite" league I know people who I've been playing with for some years. As I said I don't really understand this division very well; If I had spent some years playing in the "2nd" league, then win the league I would not leave those guys behind to play in an "elite" league...

I don't know if my english level is enough to explain what I try to say. Anyway I'll play in any league you place me.

Best regards from Spain!

Hi Juan,

My recollection of how the two leagues started was that there was a good amount of interest in a Colts Forum league. Some didn't want to play with a lot of guys who weren't dedicated to it. I understand as I've played in a couple of leagues where say a team starts out 0-2 they stop managing their team.

So, they identified 12 guys who had extensive time in FF leagues (at least the talked a good game). But there were enough more who were interested, but with less, or no experience.

The first group was the Elite, the secondary group was the Average Joe's.

To make things interesting, they set up the situation where the bottom two of the Elite dropped down each year, and the top two from Joe's moves up, but it doesn't work out exactly like that each year. There have been years where people drop out of the Elite league altogether, and create room for additional Joe's to move up. There have also been situations like you described where the top one or two Joe's didn't want to leave their 'friends', stayed in Joe's, and the offer to move up went to the next in line.

Moving up isn't a law, it's your privilege to take advantage of it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would say 8 games is too many and would go more towards 6.

I'm not sure it could be set up this way but I would also consider making it so that teams with the same record the tie breaker is based on how long since last waiver claim rather then however the system decides to rank them.

2-3 teams should still get waivers before 5 - 0 teams but if there are 5 teams that are 2 - 3 there is no reason that the one the computer happens to rank last among that group is 5 spots ahead of the team that the computer ranks above that group.

Still if I had to choose between the two I'd prefer the waivers be based upon ranking.  

I think it can, if the group wants it, IMO, for 6, 7 or 8 games as the group deems it necessary.

However, the commish SilentHill is used to it being that way in former leagues of his, and that got him Jordan Howard last year too after the dominoes fell in the RB position around week 3 since he was waiting patiently without playing waivers for the first few weeks. It could be a hard sell. :) 

I am fine with whatever the group deems is best. I am also used to "first come first serve" with no waiver priority and if you hear about the news first and the player is available, he is yours, it suited me in a lot of leagues where I won championships. Whenever I had to wait till Wednesday morning giving plenty of time for every GM to "catch up" on the news, my championships dwindled :) (though if OBJ had not been suspended for the Josh Norman fracas, I am sure I would have won the elite league a couple of years ago).

Sorry for being inactive, I've had a wicked cold / flu since Thursday and I'm just starting to make the turn around now. I think we can really discuss the settings of a league once we decide where we are playing, I'd have to review the features to see what is available.

As Chad said though, I am definitely in favor of the continuous rolling waiver priority. I like to think of waivers as a strategy claim. When you have a guy like for example Eddie Royal haul in 200 yards and 3 TD's in a game, and you have the #1 priority, you have to think, is it worth it? If I hold on to my #1 waiver claim I'm basically handcuffing any of my players with the entire waiver pool if something happens.

It just makes for a lot more strategy in a game based a lot on luck. I just think some people take waivers too light. You really have to think if putting in a waiver claim for a player is worth it, personally I would not unless I knew they were going to be a starter on my team moving forward.

23 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Sorry for being inactive, I've had a wicked cold / flu since Thursday and I'm just starting to make the turn around now. I think we can really discuss the settings of a league once we decide where we are playing, I'd have to review the features to see what is available.

As Chad said though, I am definitely in favor of the continuous rolling waiver priority. I like to think of waivers as a strategy claim. When you have a guy like for example Eddie Royal haul in 200 yards and 3 TD's in a game, and you have the #1 priority, you have to think, is it worth it? If I hold on to my #1 waiver claim I'm basically handcuffing any of my players with the entire waiver pool if something happens.

It just makes for a lot more strategy in a game based a lot on luck. I just think some people take waivers too light. You really have to think if putting in a waiver claim for a player is worth it, personally I would not unless I knew they were going to be a starter on my team moving forward.

Some people, if they have a lousy weak spot on their roster, can use waivers to play "keep away" as well by claiming a good match up D, so you are right, waivers are used differently by different GMs although with one goal, for their team to advance.

Like I said, I am fine with a league settings vote there.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Some people, if they have a lousy weak spot on their roster, can use waivers to play "keep away" as well by claiming a good match up D, so you are right, waivers are used differently by different GMs although with one goal, for their team to advance.

Yea, that is a good example too, although i would only do that come playoff time, or something.  It's just that I see people use waivers to upgrade their bench from one marginal player to another just because that player had the one off good week. Sometimes that works out, but it's a highly risky play especially if you put a value on your waiver priority number. I think a more balanced approach (ie lower records get the claim) to waivers would take something away from a league called with the name "elite".

On 6/5/2017 at 9:53 AM, chad72 said:

17 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Yea, that is a good example too, although i would only do that come playoff time, or something.  It's just that I see people use waivers to upgrade their bench from one marginal player to another just because that player had the one off good week. Sometimes that works out, but it's a highly risky play especially if you put a value on your waiver priority number. I think a more balanced approach (ie lower records get the claim) to waivers would take something away from a league called with the name "elite".

I'm not participating yet, so take this with a grain of salt.  I think it depends on how you want the league to operate.  If you want parity, like the NFL, base the weekly waiver on standings.  The way I see it, if you "earned" top spot on the waiver wire, then you deserve the shame of first pick in FA each week.

However, if you want to throw parity out the window, and base the waiver-wire on waiting your turn, I'd have no problem with that.  It's just another tool at each owners' disposal for improving their team, and it shouldn't be affected by wins and losses.

It boils down to the league being "fair" vs. "competitive".  Maybe the Average Joe league uses the record-based waiver-wire, while the Elite league uses the turn-based waiver-wire?

:dunno:  :hat:

Another thing that must be changed is standings tie-breaker. With so many changes on the roster over the course of the season due to injuries etc. and no divisions, it has to be based on points scored instead of head-to-head overriding points scored. Head-to-head can be the second tie-breaker if they have the same amount of points scored, I have no issues with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Another thing that must be changed is standings tie-breaker. With so many changes on the roster over the course of the season due to injuries etc. and no divisions, it has to be based on points scored instead of head-to-head overriding points scored. Head-to-head can be the second tie-breaker if they have the same amount of points scored, I have no issues with that.

If we switch to Yahoo, that is the default :)

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, chad72 said:

I think it can, if the group wants it, IMO, for 6, 7 or 8 games as the group deems it necessary.

However, the commish SilentHill is used to it being that way in former leagues of his, and that got him Jordan Howard last year too after the dominoes fell in the RB position around week 3 since he was waiting patiently without playing waivers for the first few weeks. It could be a hard sell. :) 

I am fine with whatever the group deems is best. I am also used to "first come first serve" with no waiver priority and if you hear about the news first and the player is available, he is yours, it suited me in a lot of leagues where I won championships. Whenever I had to wait till Wednesday morning giving plenty of time for every GM to "catch up" on the news, my championships dwindled :) (though if OBJ had not been suspended for the Josh Norman fracas, I am sure I would have won the elite league a couple of years ago).

I am not in favor of first come first served waiver wire. There are members who have a lot more time to watch and listen to sports news and stay be their PC or I phone 24-7. There are some who work and cant sit on their PC or IPhone all the time therefore are at a disadvantage.

IMO the waiver wire starts with the last draft pick and goes to the first pick in that order. You hold your spot till you use it and then you start back at the bottom. Standings shouldn't mean nothing as far as the waiver wire. Holding on to your spot is used as strategy and if you use it go to the end of the line.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

I totally agree with that. Last season I scored pretty good but lost a spot even after winning. It totally sucked.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 3:01 PM, SilentHill said:

See i think that's completely unfair. Once you get the #1, why do you have the right to hold onto it forever? 

Its most beneficial for those whip end up with a good team and then when someone goes down at any point,  get first dibs. 

I think it's better to have the waiver based on ranking as it gives the teams that had completely fluke instances mess up their team.

I remember right off the bat I had 3 of my starters get injured for the season, and nearly every week my players would way under perform. In your set up, if I end up near the bottom, I'm kind of left up to waiting in others to use theirs so I can move up.

This basically ruins any chance of me getting someone I want for a few weeks because I'll put in a claim but it might get taken because I'm at the bottom.  

It could be several weeks before I find adequate replacements for my injuries,  meanwhile I'm still losing every week and at the bottom. 

3 hours ago, Narcosys said:

See i think that's completely unfair. Once you get the #1, why do you have the right to hold onto it forever? 

Its most beneficial for those whip end up with a good team and then when someone goes down at any point,  get first dibs. 

I think it's better to have the waiver based on ranking as it gives the teams that had completely fluke instances mess up their team.

I remember right off the bat I had 3 of my starters get injured for the season, and nearly every week my players would way under perform. In your set up, if I end up near the bottom, I'm kind of left up to waiting in others to use theirs so I can move up.

This basically ruins any chance of me getting someone I want for a few weeks because I'll put in a claim but it might get taken because I'm at the bottom.  

It could be several weeks before I find adequate replacements for my injuries,  meanwhile I'm still losing every week and at the bottom. 

IMO it is not fair for you to hold the #1 spot and lose it because your record is better than someone else's. You get that spot because of either getting the last pick of the draft or just by standing pat. That is part of the strategy. It also keeps owners from hording players just so no others will have a chance to get them.

As far as injuries are concerned that is part of playing fantasy football just like teams in the NFL have to deal with it. You have to account for injuries when drafting by hand cuffing players.

55 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO it is not fair for you to hold the #1 spot and lose it because your record is better than someone else's. You get that spot because of either getting the last pick of the draft or just by standing pat. That is part of the strategy. It also keeps owners from hording players just so no others will have a chance to get them.

As far as injuries are concerned that is part of playing fantasy football just like teams in the NFL have to deal with it. You have to account for injuries when drafting by hand cuffing players.

Im not sure why..... but I never pictured you being involved in fantasy football.... just caught me by surprise.  Don't mean anything by it.

29 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Im not sure why..... but I never pictured you being involved in fantasy football.... just caught me by surprise.  Don't mean anything by it.

I have been playing fantasy football since 1992. My very first pick in fantasy football was Don Majkowski. I was a rookie and got laughed at for taking a QB first. I then picked up Bret Favre when Majkowski was injured and kept him on my roster till he retired. Note:: this was a keeper league and still is. I have been in this same keeper league all these years. We have a trophy the super bowl winner keeps and it passes on to the next winner. This will be our 25th year. I have had the trophy 9 years out of 24.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have been playing fantasy football since 1992. My very first pick in fantasy football was Don Majkowski. I was a rookie and got laughed at for taking a QB first. I then picked up Bret Favre when Majkowski was injured and kept him on my roster till he retired. Note:: this was a keeper league and still is. I have been in this same keeper league all these years. We have a trophy the super bowl winner keeps and it passes on to the next winner. This will be our 25th year. I have had the trophy 9 years out of 24.

Oh wow.... very cool.  I have never gotten in a league, mostly because of time I guess.  It has become so big now.  Now that I am on the forum I will keep an eye on this thread and maybe sometime I will join a league.  I will need a tutor, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

Oh wow.... very cool.  I have never gotten in a league, mostly because of time I guess.  It has become so big now.  Now that I am on the forum I will keep an eye on this thread and maybe sometime I will join a league.  I will need a tutor, lol.

The one thing it does is keep you tuned in on what's going on through out the league. It has gotten a little more time consuming because there are games played three days/nights a week where it used to be just Sunday and Monday.

I suggest if you are going to give it a try go to ESPN fantasy football and practice a few drafts in the mock draft rooms. After watching how things go then go on into the regular draft rooms. You have a choice in drafting in all types of leagues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you're winning, then what does it matter? It is more equitable to do it based on rank. Obviously if a person is last, they are already having plenty of problems and need all the help they can get. 

There's some things you can't predict or even account for.  You can't handcuff every player,  there's not enough spots on the roster.

You can only have so many people on your roster,  so there is no hoarding. There's no reason for them to pick someone up unless the need to. You have to drop someone you wanted in order to pick another up.

6 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

If you're winning, then what does it matter? It is more equitable to do it based on rank. Obviously if a person is last, they are already having plenty of problems and need all the help they can get. 

There's some things you can't predict or even account for.  You can't handcuff every player,  there's not enough spots on the roster.

You can only have so many people on your roster,  so there is no hoarding. There's no reason for them to pick someone up unless the need to. You have to drop someone you wanted in order to pick another up.

It is the way it is done in pretty much all fantasy leagues in Yahoo, NFL and ESPN. If you draft last in the league then you get the first waiver wire slot. That is only fair isn't it?  With that said why should you lose it if someone loses? The key not to lose is drafting. If you make good picks you win, if not you lose.