Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting stat about Mack

CR91

40 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

He is definitely a home run threat. Can take it to the house any time. We haven't had a back like that in a long time.

I am cautiously optimistic about him. He has great potential but I know what has come of Colts RBs for such a long time

20 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I am cautiously optimistic about him. He has great potential but I know what has come of Colts RBs for such a long time

Yup. We haven't had a truly great one since Edge. Gore is the best we've had since Edge, but I wouldn't say hes been great, though at times hes been very good and broke a few streaks we've had.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yup. We haven't had a truly great one since Edge. Gore is the best we've had since Edge, but I wouldn't say hes been great, though at times hes been very good and broke a few streaks we've had.

Like the 100 yds rushing in a game streak haha. But yes I get your point

And if you look at all of the names,  and they're all pretty impressive,   Mack was picked the LOWEST of all of those backs listed...

Impressive.

All the more reason I don't want to try and turn Mack into something he's not.

Let Mack be Mack!

Before we get too excited, let's remember who he played against.  

Against Power 5 schools, FSU and South Caroline he didn't exactly tear it up, 3.5 and 3.8 yd avg.  42 and 50 yards.   

He may be great but I want to see him in a real game first.  Everyone in the NFL is fast.  

57 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Against Power 5 schools, FSU and South Caroline he didn't exactly tear it up, 3.5 and 3.8 yd avg.  42 and 50 yards.   

He may be great but I want to see him in a real game first.  Everyone in the NFL is fast.  

To be fair, the team he was on doesn't exactly match up well against those better teams 

But I see your point 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

addai was good for what we asked him to do which was get a few yards to keep defenses honest, get a few dump offs, and pass protect and he was effective especially in 06-07 when the line was actually good. 08-11 the line had so many JAGs it was pathetic. 

8 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Another interesting stat about Mack is that he has played zero snaps in the NFL. Happy people are optimistic though.

gotta be optimistic about something. its a long offseason

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And if you look at all of the names,  and they're all pretty impressive,   Mack was picked the LOWEST of all of those backs listed...

Impressive.

All the more reason I don't want to try and turn Mack into something he's not.

Let Mack be Mack!

I agree let Mack be Mack time will tell exactly what that is. The name that jumped out at me was Conner. I didn't expect to see him that high. 

21 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I agree let Mack be Mack time will tell exactly what that is. The name that jumped out at me was Conner. I didn't expect to see him that high. 

Yup.....    I confess I did a double-take when I saw Connor's name too!

I'm not a betting man,  but if I was,  I would've lost a bet because I never would've put him in that kind of company and category....

6 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

To be fair, the team he was on doesn't exactly match up well against those better teams 

But I see your point 

USF was pretty good, beat SC in their bowl game.  Their QB was the star, he had more rushing yards than Mack last year.  

All I'm saying is that until Mack plays against NFL talent we don't know how good he is.  People were high on Williams and Ferguson before we saw them too.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

USF was pretty good, beat SC in their bowl game.  Their QB was the star, he had more rushing yards than Mack last year.  

All I'm saying is that until Mack plays against NFL talent we don't know how good he is.  People were high on Williams and Ferguson before we saw them too.

My concern has always been that whenever I watched Mack in a big game, he wasn't all that impressive against stiff competition. There is a reason he was available at the bottom of the 4th. Right now, all we have is to go on potential.

The one thing I do think that will serve him well, if the OL blocks well enough, is that he has the patience to let blocks develop, he has good stop-start quickness, and vision in traffic. We know from the TRich experience, you cannot be taught enough to overcome bad instincts, you need a good foundation and you either have it or don't to build upon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793678/article/mts-notebook-marlon-mack-could-be-next-jordan-howard

12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

For what Gore has been working with, I think he's been pretty darn good.  There are few backs in the NFL who could've done what Gore did (almost never taking negative yards, despite getting hit at or before the line pretty frequently). That coupled with a year of Hasselbeck, Whitehurst, and others playing >1/2 the season at QB and pretty predictable play calling, to me shows how impressive Gore has actually been.

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

As Tknight points out, USF isn't stacked up well to play FSU.  However, I agree with you 100%.  There are a lot of big plays Mack breaks due to his athleticism or ability to bounce outside, but that usually is coming against not so great competition.

I agree with what you're saying -- Mack runs a 4.5+, which is fast versus most of the teams he was breaking homeruns against.  In the NFL, a lot of LBs are running around his speed and I don't foresee him being able to get by on his athleticism alone at this level.

IMO, Gore is the perfect back for Mack to learn from.  Gore is a similar build and almost never loses yards.  He is very decisive at the line, and if nothing is opening up he takes the 2-3 yard gains instead of dancing around in the backfield.  Hopefully Gore can pass this on to Mack, and hopefully our line can improve to give him the opportunity to break a couple of big ones.  I just don't see him being able to repeat some of the stuff he did in college at this level without some time to learn from Gore and adjust to the game speed.

Honestly that doesn't impress me a great deal.  I want a back that I can trust is going to routinely churn out 5 yards or so when he touches the ball.

Breakaways are nice but they are rare, even for people known for being a breakaway threat.  I'm more interested in what his median run looks like.  

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

addai was good for what we asked him to do which was get a few yards to keep defenses honest, get a few dump offs, and pass protect and he was effective especially in 06-07 when the line was actually good. 08-11 the line had so many JAGs it was pathetic. 

Addai was good at times and had his moments but he was very meh at times too. One thing he did too much was dance in the backfield.

17 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Blocking also goes into that stat as well!

15 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

We've definitely got a nice three-headed attack at RB now; Earth, Wind, and Expired Molasses. 

JK....Love you Gore. 

Man, I wish we had one "Big Like" that we could give out once a day.  That definitely would get my biggest Like possible.  Extremely well done, sir.  :hat:

Oh God, I'm still not done laughing!  Expired Molasses...  :lol: 

:scoregood:  :applause:

35 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Absolutely!  If he can't block blitzing LB or DB, he shouldn't be on the field.  He better watch Gore closely.

Actually I was taking about his blockers in college going against the bigger conferences. But you are right if he can't block he wont see the field much. He can watch Gore, but he is built much different. hopefully he is willing to stick his face in there, if he is and knows where to go thats half the battle.

I can't believe no one has mentioned ball security yet...

We all know he has game busting speed and breakaway potential, if patient for the holes and used correctly. My issue is with his fumbles... he's gotta get that sorted before he even sniffs the field.

On 5/29/2017 at 9:37 PM, akcolt said:

NOTE:   This post is a NOT a response to akcolt....   but the website has a glitch in it that I cant't seem to get around...

For whatever it's worth,  the Colts.com website does not list Mack at what he officially measured at the Combine, which was 5'11" and 213.

He's now listed at 6'0" and 210.

Not sure why,   but that's what the website shows.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

NOTE:   This post is a NOT a response to akcolt....   but the website has a glitch in it that I cant't seem to get around...

For whatever it's worth,  the Colts.com website does not list Mack at what he officially measured at the Combine, which was 5'11" and 213.

He's now listed at 6'0" and 210.

Not sure why,   but that's what the website shows.

Only a difference of an inch. My drivers license says 6'0", but my doctor, and in my heart, know myself to be 5'11".

Unless they can put more muscle on Mack, I think you keep him at his college weight.  The Bills made Marshawn Lynch put on 10 lbs theoretically to allow him to better take the pounding his running style caused, but it made him slower and took away his strengths.  Mack is a speed guy.  If guys like LaMichael James are any proof, Mack's speed advantage at the pro level will be minimal, at best, and he cannot afford to lose a step for any reason.  

7 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned ball security yet...

We all know he has game busting speed and breakaway potential, if patient for the holes and used correctly. My issue is with his fumbles... he's gotta get that sorted before he even sniffs the field.

I agree.  His upright running style makes him prone to fumbling...he's gotta work on pad level and ball security.  I'm conflicted on the notion of Mack having "game busting speed".  He's slower than guys like LaMichael James, who hasn't been able to keep a job in the NFL.  At the same time, there are very few LBs/DBs who have such blazing speed that they could run down Mack over 50 yds given a 5 yd lead, but that is true to a certain extent with Gore and Turbin as well.  All of these backs need downfield blocking to spring big runs, Mack just less so than Gore and Turbin.  Hilton, Dorsett and Moncrief all have to start getting dedicated to blocking downfield so that the RBs have a block to cut off of, and not have to run into a wall of unblocked defenders.  So many of Gore's runs last year that went beyond the LOS could have been sprung for long runs had the WRs been blocking, but most of the time they are just standing around.   By comparison, look at the run Blount had at 5:09 of this video

and see the downfield blocking of the Patriots WRs...without that blocking this is 5-8 yd run at best, instead it goes for 41 and a TD.  That's what makes for big runs.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:06 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly that doesn't impress me a great deal.  I want a back that I can trust is going to routinely churn out 5 yards or so when he touches the ball.

Breakaways are nice but they are rare, even for people known for being a breakaway threat.  I'm more interested in what his median run looks like.  

I'm more interested in whether we're able to get him the ball in space.

Not sure if this has been posted about Mack, but he appears to have a solid pass protection grade as well. He may have had limited snaps at it, but it's at least promising. I was really stoked to get him, the only one that would have made me happier would have been Hunt, but I didn't want to draft him that high. I think we have a complete back.

ql5loxtx8avy.png

Edit: If that's hard to read, Marlon has the third highest pass block efficiency out of qualifying RBs. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Addai was good at times and had his moments but he was very meh at times too. One thing he did too much was dance in the backfield.

He didn't dance much in the super bowl. Him and Rhodes both ran for over 100 yards each.

IMO those two were the MVPs of the super bowl.

Say what you want about Addai he was a very good RB that blocked as good as any RB in the league and caught a whole bunch of first downs out of the backfield. He was Manning's #1 safety valve. He was never intended to be a hard hitter and done his job as ask. Polian knew exactly what Addai was and didn't try to make him something he wasn't.