Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

America's Game 1970 & 2006

coltsfeva

1970 and 2006. Colts were SB champs, NFL Network did these two years.  My two favorite years as a lifetime Colts fan. A lot of players and coaches to be proud of. I know to most, they don't belong together but I can't help it: both were my Colts, both wore the horseshoe. Unitas, Jones, Peyton and Luck. Moore, Mitchell, Dickey, James and Gore. John Mackey and Dallas Clark. The list goes on. To be a fan for all these years has been rewarding and frustrating. But I'm glad to have been a Colts fan and look forward to possibility seeing a team that ranks up there with some of the best that has ever worn the horseshoe. It may take a little time but I'm hopeful! C-O-L-T-S Colts!!!!

I don't know why, but the NFL stopped putting up highlights and NFL Network products on iTunes. I own so many random game highlights from regular season games, playoff games, Superbowls. I have these two America's Games, as well as the Giants 2007 and 2011. But I haven't seen or been able to purchase the 2015 Broncos. The only thing available is the Superbowl Champion movie which I have from 2011 and 2015 but, frankly, isn't as good. I also have the 06 and 07 Colts and Giants dvds. Just frustrating they don't offer the highlights anymore.

On 5/29/2017 at 2:45 PM, coltsfeva said:

1970 and 2006. Colts were SB champs, NFL Network did these two years.  My two favorite years as a lifetime Colts fan. A lot of players and coaches to be proud of. I know to most, they don't belong together but I can't help it: both were my Colts, both wore the horseshoe. Unitas, Jones, Peyton and Luck. Moore, Mitchell, Dickey, James and Gore. John Mackey and Dallas Clark. The list goes on. To be a fan for all these years has been rewarding and frustrating. But I'm glad to have been a Colts fan and look forward to possibility seeing a team that ranks up there with some of the best that has ever worn the horseshoe. It may take a little time but I'm hopeful! C-O-L-T-S Colts!!!!

That's interesting.  It seems like almost all Colts fans are either BMore or Indy, not both.  I mean, I respect Johnny U and the old BMore Colts, but I've just always considered them to belong to the BMore fans, whereas the Indy players are mine...  (I just realized how possessive I sound about these players...)  :dunno:

Not to get too personal, but where did you live back when the Colts were in BMore, and where have you lived since they moved to Indy?

Did you travel with them somehow, either physically or emotionally?  I know a lot of BMore fans' loyalty did not travel with the team, quite the opposite...  Did Hoosier Hospitality eventually win you over?  :thmup:

16 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's interesting.  It seems like almost all Colts fans are either BMore or Indy, not both.  I mean, I respect Johnny U and the old BMore Colts, but I've just always considered them to belong to the BMore fans, whereas the Indy players are mine...  (I just realized how possessive I sound about these players...)  :dunno:

Not to get too personal, but where did you live back when the Colts were in BMore, and where have you lived since they moved to Indy?

Did you travel with them somehow, either physically or emotionally?  I know a lot of BMore fans' loyalty did not travel with the team, quite the opposite...  Did Hoosier Hospitality eventually win you over?  :thmup:

I've noticed there are some fans on the forum that like me, rooted for both Baltimore and Indianapolis franchises. I was born in 1955 and my grandfather got the Baltimore feed. So, my first recollections of the NFL were a split between the Eagles and Colts games. I live in Delaware, in between the two cities. For some reason, my heart went with the horseshoe. I remember being depressed after SB III and elated after SB V.   I saw a few games live in the 70s when they had Bert Jones and loved the atmosphere. When the Colts moved, I may have been less critical because I didn't live in Baltimore. When I took my son to Indianapolis in 1996, I was disappointed at the fact that college basketball and football were more popular than the Colts. I'm assuming that has changed since 1998. 

19 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I was a Colts fan from the Baltimore days...vaguely remember the 1970 Super Bowl victory as I was very young.  I lived in New York and my Father was a diehard Colts fan.  I followed them through some great years in the mid 70's and stood by them after they moved to Indianapolis.  Most of the same players that played the year before the move were on the team that moved to Indy, and all the records went with them.  They were the same team, just played in a different city.

6 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

When the Colts moved, I may have been less critical because I didn't live in Baltimore. When I took my son to Indianapolis in 1996, I was disappointed at the fact that college basketball and football were more popular than the Colts. I'm assuming that has changed since 1998.

Oh yeah.  You've seen the America's Game - 2006 Colts, so you got a glimpse of where the Colts ranked when they moved here.

As a kid, I was Reggie Miller in my driveway, shooting fade-away 3s over my dad.  MJ was the only player I liked as much/more than REG-GIE.  Basketball is just ingrained in Hoosiers.  I even liked Emmitt Smith more than any Colts player at that time.  Although that changed when I went to training camp in '95 and got to meet some Colts players.

But now?  Manning is King, and the Colts are my favorite sports team, by a mile.

I lived in Indianapolis and played little league baseball and my team name was the Orioles. So I became a fan of the Baltimore Orioles and Brooks Robinson was my favorite player. When I lost interest in baseball I become a football fan.

I later become a Colt fan because the Colts drafted Bert Jones (the Ruston Rifle) 2nd overall.  

I watched the Hoosier Dome being built right at the end of the parking lot where I worked and had no clue it would be the Colts moving there. It was rumored that the Colts were moving to Phoenix Az. so when we seen the Mayflower Trucks moving into Indy on the news it was a shock.

I was so excited my favorite team was moving to Indy.

As the old saying goes, "It's been a long strange ride". lol

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Colts fan since 1968.  Always.  Never lived in Indy or Baltimore.

4 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Are you saying the players are bitter?  I am not following, please expand.

It's clear the 1970 Colts were still bitter over losing Super Bowl III.  I am not really judging them for it just an observation I noticed.  The 2006 Colts had their fair share of disappointments too but still seemed to take a lot of joy out of getting to the top of the mountain that year.  Again, I am not judging just something I noticed. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

It's clear the 1970 Colts were still bitter over losing Super Bowl III.  I am not really judging them for it just an observation I noticed.  The 2006 Colts had their fair share of disappointments too but still seemed to take a lot of joy out of getting to the top of the mountain that year.  Again, I am not judging just something I noticed. 

Ok, that is what I thought you meant and I totally agree.  I remember my Father, may he rip, claiming the game(1969) was "bought and paid for"...Bubba claimed the same.

Johnny Unitas said he had never been to Indy and had no plans to ever go as he was a Baltimore fan not a Colts fans. The bitterness among the 1969 Colts players was largely because they felt they let down the entre NFC, not just themselves as the AFC had a cloud of disrespect hanging over all their teams until the Jets beat the Colts.  Maybe it was and perhaps still is the biggest upset in the history of the NFL.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I've lived in South Dakota my whole life and I've been a Colts fan since 1958. I was furious when they left Baltimore and swore I would find another team. However, the first time the Indy Colts were on TV, I had to watch. The minute I saw the Blue and the Shoe, I knew in an instant it wasn't the City, it was the Franchise. For the thousands and thousands of Colts fans who didn't or don't live in either city, we are Colts fans no matter what City they call home.

19 hours ago, King Colt said:

Johnny Unitas said he had never been to Indy and had no plans to ever go as he was a Baltimore fan not a Colts fans. The bitterness among the 1969 Colts players was largely because they felt they let down the entre NFC, not just themselves as the AFC had a cloud of disrespect hanging over all their teams until the Jets beat the Colts.  Maybe it was and perhaps still is the biggest upset in the history of the NFL.

I think you meant, NFL and AFL. Even though the merger was signed a few years before, the merger didn't officially take place until 1970 when the NFC and AFC went into place.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:46 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I was born in Baltimore in 54. Moved to Indy in 80. My mom sent me the Baltimore sports pages, so I kept up. 

On 5/31/2017 at 5:46 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Ok, that is what I thought you meant and I totally agree.  I remember my Father, may he rip, claiming the game(1969) was "bought and paid for"...Bubba claimed the same.

The merger was a billion dollars venture.  The Colts dominated play in that game, then Morral ignored open receivers and almost seemed to play pitch and catch with ex-Colt/Jets DB Johnny Sample.  It was prob coincidence, but it sure gave the impression of a thrown game.  Mix in Rosenblume's drowning death, and conspiricy thrives...

How the hell did Morrall not see Orr on that one. The play was a flea-flicker. How do you possibly miss or forget to look for your primary receiver??? Then attempt an easy throw to FB Jerry Hill and miss him a mile and have it intercepted. I'm with Bubba and always have been and will be. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

On 5/31/2017 at 4:04 PM, Dingus McGirt said:

Colts fan since 1968.  Always.  Never lived in Indy or Baltimore.

I am the same. Grew up in NE PA and was a fan of Johnny U as a kid. Stayed a fan even after they left B'More for Indy and will ALWAYS be a Colt fan.