Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief & Luck

TKnight24

45 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

It's not really a good thing for Crief.  Watching him you can see how one dimensional his game is... Or at least that's how the coaches use him 

I wouldn't say he's one dimensional at all.  I would say the coaches don't utilize him well

10 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wouldn't say he's one dimensional at all.  I would say the coaches don't utilize him well

Injury slowed Crief but I agree, he is not utilized as he should be.

I have a feeling Crief is going to break out this season. An improved O-line should help Luck go threw some progressions.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Injury slowed Crief but I agree, he is not utilized as he should be.

I have a feeling Crief is going to break out this season. An improved O-line should help Luck go threw some progressions.

I'd love to see it, but with Chud calling the plays, I'm not so sure.  I, like many others, would like to see a shorter passing game utilized instead of so many deep routes.

16 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'd love to see it, but with Chud calling the plays, I'm not so sure.  I, like many others, would like to see a shorter passing game utilized instead of so many deep routes.

I totally agree with that.

I have no clue if Ballard and Chud talks about Chuds playbook but if he does, we might see a change.

25 minutes ago, will426 said:

That's what also happens when you only make plays near the goaline haha  couldn't get open anywhere else 

If you look at the tape you will see that Crief does get open. Luck either don't have the time to go through his progressions and or force feeds Hilton. Add the fact Luck uses Doyle as a dump off when he don't go to Hilton. That explains why Crief's number of catches is low.

20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you look at the tape you will see that Crief does get open. Luck either don't have the time to go through his progressions and or force feeds Hilton. Add the fact Luck uses Doyle as a dump off when he don't go to Hilton. That explains why Crief's number of catches is low.

True I kinda was inferrring to him having lack of separation the gets open as does dorsett sometimes and luck ignore but  other times he isn't good at separating 

On 5/29/2017 at 3:21 PM, 21isSuperman said:

He's so young I'm not even sure they actually know what he's good at yet. He seems to be decent at a lot of things, but not "great" at any one particular thing. I'd personally like to see all of our WRs aside from Hilton get better at route-running. I think Dorsett and Moncrief would be a lot more flexible within Chud's system if their route-running was more sharp and precise.

We all agree that we'd like to see more slants and underneath stuff, but if they're not good at running those routes, Chud's not going to call the plays that utilize them.

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's so young I'm not even sure they actually know what he's good at yet. He seems to be decent at a lot of things, but not "great" at any one particular thing. I'd personally like to see all of our WRs aside from Hilton get better at route-running. I think Dorsett and Moncrief would be a lot more flexible within Chud's system if their route-running was more sharp and precise.

We all agree that we'd like to see more slants and underneath stuff, but if they're not good at running those routes, Chud's not going to call the plays that utilize them.

He runs the "out" very well.  He should be utilized more in the mid passing game, imo.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think they do.  Or at least, they should.  There's over 40 games worth of film on him.  I think Moncrief has the physical tools of a WR1.  It's just a matter of utilizing him properly, drawing up plays designed to get him the ball, etc.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think you can still get some sort of idea.  Even if he has different quarterbacks, you can see how he runs routes, how aggressive he is on jump balls, etc.

They definitely know how to use him once they get into the red zone, it's between the 20s that I wonder about.

On 5/29/2017 at 9:22 PM, crazycolt1 said:

It seems to be true... Luck doesn't really look Moncrief's way between the 20s... He knows where he is in the RZ, though. 

I've heard others say similar things about Dorsett (that he runs good routes and is often open, but the ball doesn't come his way). 

There is probably a little bit of everything involved in this... Not enough time with a clean pocket, some unwillingness to go through progressions, timing and/or trust issues, Doyle and T.Y. proving themselves to be extra reliable in all situations, misuse of wrs by the staff.... 

I don't know how much of this issue between the 20s will be fixed this season with so little turnover on offense and the offensive coaching staff, but I do expect the RZ offense to continue to be very good and even improve with the addition of Aiken and the continued improvement of Swoope... Not to mention the OL...

Hopefully we can get some sort of short/intermediate passing game going this season... The staff has to improve or we might get another new set of coaches for '18.

I could easily argue that we don't know how to use big receivers and their abilities in the Luck era.  Look at the big body receivers we brought in and they weren't used to their strengths.  I get that they were outside of their prime but they still weren't used as they should have been.

5 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I could easily argue that we don't know how to use big receivers and their abilities in the Luck era.  Look at the big body receivers we brought in and they weren't used to their strengths.  I get that they were outside of their prime but they still weren't used as they should have been.

I'd say that's more because of who was brought in rather than how they were utilized.  Andre Johnson, for example, was way past his prime.  Guys with size like Fleener and Dwayne Allen did decently

I'm with the majority who think Moncrief's best days are ahead of him.    No reason why he shouldn't be getting better and better.

But,  while it's not in this thread,  I've seen posts that talk about Moncrief getting 70 catches and over 1,000 yards and I'm here to tell you the only way something like that happens is if TY Hilton gets hurt and Moncrief becomes the number one receiver.          Otherwise,   no.

There are only so many passes Luck can make,   or will complete,   and the ball will be spread around to other receivers and backs as well.      The basic math isn't there.

Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Aiken, Rogers,  Doyle, Swoope,   Gore, Turbin and now Mack.     If you want a dynamic offense,  the ball will get spread around.  

Moncrief is likely to get 65 catches and perhaps 825 yards...    something around 13 yards a catch than he is 75 catches and 1,000 yards.      

I'd love for Moncrief to have his best year.    And with our new WR coach,  I'm expecting him and Dorsett to break out.       Seriously,   we might have scary weapons this year.      I just wouldn't get too carried away,  or too hopeful that Moncrief's numbers will go through the roof.      It's extremely unlikely.

On 6/1/2017 at 0:45 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I'd say that's more because of who was brought in rather than how they were utilized.  Andre Johnson, for example, was way past his prime.  Guys with size like Fleener and Dwayne Allen did decently

Don't forget Nicks & DHB although his hands were pretty bad here.  Manning threw the ball up Nicks made plays.

31 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Don't forget Nicks & DHB although his hands were pretty bad here.  Manning threw the ball up Nicks made plays.

Nicks?      The former Giant WR that Grigson brought in?      That was Luck throwing him the ball.

Or,  are you thinking of someone else?

11 hours ago, Shepman said:

I didn't mention Nicks because he isn't known for being the biggest or most physical receiver.  But my point was that big pass catchers have been utilized well in the past in Indy.  Dwayne Allen (6'3", 265 lbs) was utilized very well in the redzone while Coby Fleener (6'6", 251 lbs) had some solid seasons where he had 50+ receptions for 600+ yards

On 2017-05-29 at 8:57 PM, will426 said:

That's what also happens when you only make plays near the goaline haha  couldn't get open anywhere else 

Ummm, isn't making plays near the goal line the absolute best place to make plays?!

32 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Ummm, isn't making plays near the goal line the absolute best place to make plays?!

You're right but I'd rather him Help get us there as well not just be relevant in one area even if it is scoring 

On 5/29/2017 at 4:22 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

It's not really a good thing for Crief.  Watching him you can see how one dimensional his game is... Or at least that's how the coaches use him 

I have to respectfully disagree.  We all know TY is going to be the yard-monster that Andrew looks to most of the time.  But when it comes to the Red-Zone, TY can't hold a candle to Moncrief.

34 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Yes.  We need a red-zone compliment to TY, and Moncrief is that red-zone threat.

I don't care if TY has a bazillion yards and no TDs, and Moncrief has no yards with a bazillion TDs.  And I doubt Andrew cares who gets TDs vs Yds.  Whatever wins us games.  Moncrief is the perfect compliment to TY, which is exactly what the Colts need.

On 6/9/2017 at 11:22 PM, LuckyHooker24 said:

I always remember that breakout Moncrief had against the Redskins a few years ago. Man.. that kid could fly. I miss that guy. Where has he been?

44 minutes ago, will426 said:

You're right but I'd rather him Help get us there as well not just be relevant in one area even if it is scoring 

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Catching TDs.

He do what he do.  Catch TDs, you ask?  Wish granted.  That is what Moncrief do.

Any other wishes/desires should be directed to TY.  The Ghost-in-a-bottle.

Unbottle his Ghostness and enjoy the Receptions, Yds, Tds, and HIGHlights that ya'll asked for...  Just be ready for the defensive repercussions of scoring too fast too soon...