Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts consider trading for Sheldon Richardson? [Merge]

DarkHorse

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'd nearly do it for a 1st, let alone a 3rd. Sheldon is that good.

4 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66868/why-it-makes-sense-for-the-jets-to-trade-sheldon-richardson?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Here's what I could find on the subject. Personally, if they'd be willing to accept a 3rd I'm not sure how you don't offer that. I'm not sure they'd do it for a 3rd though...

I dont think they'd accept a 3rd either.. but I don't really wanna give our 1st for him.. I'd give the 2nd though :^)

Oh man for a 3rd I'm so down!! Would we kick hassan to NT? I think he has a great frame for it 6'2 318. His quickness will be much more effective inside apose to playing the 5 tech where he gets caught in space sometimes. Sheldon and Ty McGill rushing from the interior on 3rd down that's scary

Considering he's a top 10 DT in the NFL we'd be crazy to not be all over this. I mean blowing the Jets GM's phone up and doing whatever it takes to land him. Sheldon Richardson for a 3rd. Imagine trading for Richardson, signing Brandon Williams, Nick Perry, and AJ Bouye in FA, then drafting Tim Williams/Taco Charlton/Takk McKinley in the 1st. Jarred Davis in the 2nd. We would go from a bottom 5 D to a top 10 D in a matter of weeks.

CB needs to go all out if the Jets are shopping him. Heck I'd give them a 3rd and a 4th, plus a 4th next year.

There's another part to this that almost no one here is talking about.

Dollars that make sense....

Props to AZColts11 for bringing it up....

Richardson has to get signed to a long-term deal.    And he's likely going to ask for something in the range of 6/100 before maybe he settled for 5/75.       Maybe.

Oh, and he'll want roughly half of that guaranteed.     All this for a guy with an attitude issue and I think he's in the NFL drug protocol system and might be looking at suspensions?     Not sure on this, but that's what I thought I've read here in the past.......

Not sure if this is the kind of deal Irsay wants to make with this kind of player?

So even if we could trade JUST a 3 for Richardson, this deal is a LONG WAY from getting done...... 

Just saying.....

Just to clarify things a little better regarding Richardson and the Jets. During the trade deadline, the Jets were attempting to trade Richardson in hopes of getting a 1st Rd pick and were unsuccessful. Teams were only willing to pony up a 3rd and the Jets obviously said no. So, as it stands the Jets would have to lower their asking price for an S. Richardson trade to happen. He`s not being offered for a 3rd or he`d already be on a different team.

37 minutes ago, Finball said:

I would be very hesitant to give this guy a long-term deal for a lot of money.

I think so, too. For a 3rd, at his age, it might be worthwhile to explore, but there is major risk and character concern that comes with all that talent...

If not, N.Y. would be locking him up long-term. I wouldn't want to give more than a 3rd for him, for sure, considering the upcoming contract... I'd consider him an experiment... The bizarro La'Raven Clark, if you think about it. 

I'd absolutely give up a 3rd but I doubt he's moving for that price.

He has the 5th year option left on his deal for 8M. If he's tagged next year, it would be little more than 15M, I think. Even if we assume it's 16M, it would be more or less a 2 year deal for 25M total.

Knowing that if he cleans up his act and plays well, Sheldon/his agents know that he's going to get close to 100M contract with up to half of it guaranteed. Richardson can be top 10 interior lineman in the game. So I'd make the bet that he staysout off off-field issues and plays hard for salary cap cost of 25M for 2 years and a 3rd rounder; if the bet pays off, Colts will probably get a compensation 3rd rounder for him. It would just come quite a but later than the original 3rd. But I think that would be a good price to pay for a very good defensive lineman. 25M in money and moving a mid 3rd in '17 for a compensation 3rd in '20.

But there are too many redflags on Sheldon to give him a big deal IMO. There would need to be a lot of outs on that deal.

4 hours ago, Finball said:

I would be very hesitant to give this guy a long-term deal for a lot of money.

I live in NJ this guy is always in the headlines for all the wrong reasons if Grigson where still here he would  give up a 1st . Do not think Ballard in his first year will take a chance he is not worth the trouble

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

Just to clarify things a little better regarding Richardson and the Jets. During the trade deadline, the Jets were attempting to trade Richardson in hopes of getting a 1st Rd pick and were unsuccessful. Teams were only willing to pony up a 3rd and the Jets obviously said no. So, as it stands the Jets would have to lower their asking price for an S. Richardson trade to happen. He`s not being offered for a 3rd or he`d already be on a different team.

Thank you I was just going to post something very similar to this.  He isn't being offered for a 3rd rounder, that's what teams of interest have been offering.

4 hours ago, Finball said:

I'd absolutely give up a 3rd but I doubt he's moving for that price.

He has the 5th year option left on his deal for 8M. If he's tagged next year, it would be little more than 15M, I think. Even if we assume it's 16M, it would be more or less a 2 year deal for 25M total.

Knowing that if he cleans up his act and plays well, Sheldon/his agents know that he's going to get close to 100M contract with up to half of it guaranteed. Richardson can be top 10 interior lineman in the game. So I'd make the bet that he staysout off off-field issues and plays hard for salary cap cost of 25M for 2 years and a 3rd rounder; if the bet pays off, Colts will probably get a compensation 3rd rounder for him. It would just come quite a but later than the original 3rd. But I think that would be a good price to pay for a very good defensive lineman. 25M in money and moving a mid 3rd in '17 for a compensation 3rd in '20.

But there are too many redflags on Sheldon to give him a big deal IMO. There would need to be a lot of outs on that deal.

This is a really good piece of thinking.  

There may have been some misunderstanding here.  From Roto:

According to ESPN's Rich Cimini, teams are only willing to trade a third-round pick for Jets RE Sheldon Richardson.

What other teams are only willing to trade for him is very different for what the Jets will want for him.  Their price tag earlier in the season was a first round pick, but nobody wanted to give up that much.  The Jets will have to lower the price, but based off of what I'm seeing, giving up just a third round pick won't be enough

11 minutes ago, jseg18 said:

We have tradable bait on offense. I'd give them Dwayne Allen and a 3rd for Sheldon and a n undisclosed pick. Maybe do a Patriots style deal and give them Moncrief.

They don't have the cap room to make it happend , well not yet they are gonna drop Revis and with the cap increase projected 10m they would be like 15 under the cap.

59 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

There may have been some misunderstanding here.  From Roto:

According to ESPN's Rich Cimini, teams are only willing to trade a third-round pick for Jets RE Sheldon Richardson.

What other teams are only willing to trade for him is very different for what the Jets will want for him.  Their price tag earlier in the season was a first round pick, but nobody wanted to give up that much.  The Jets will have to lower the price, but based off of what I'm seeing, giving up just a third round pick won't be enough

It's gonna be enough a 3rd because they are already have the water up their necks, the Jets are on rebuilding mode and first they need a QB they have a tight situation with their cap, so if i'm the Jets you know that your defense is getting old and you have no offense and also you have a 3 DL that could be interchangeable and you could be paying a premium you can't afford now. But i wouldn't trade in this year, i think we can find a project ILB/RB or even an serviceable ILB/RB with a 3rd.

On 2/11/2017 at 8:27 PM, DarkHorse said:

NFL Rumor Has Its the Jets are looking to trade Sheldon Richardson for a third round pick do we pull the trigger he's only 26 I say we do

It would be crazy NOT to take Richardson for a 3rd. Especially since we have two 4th's 

The Jets are gullible enough to do this :) 

I

Sheldon doesn't handle adversity well. He's high-maintenance. He also has off-field issues -- two league suspensions, including one for substance abuse. Oh, yes, he's got a large salary too -- $8.1 million. It becomes fully guaranteed in early March.

Richardson plays hard but not the kind of guy I want to give 8M a year to. He's the guy Ballard warned about bringing in. I would rather hold onto that pick and use the 8M toward Ingram or Williams. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the new league year approaching and the Jets in dire need of cap space this is the time to look into a possible trade for Sheldon Richardson.  They have tried to move him before and were not successful.  This might be the time.  Big men on the DL are going to be at a premium in FA.  A trade might make more sense. I say make the call and see if we can make a deal.  Thoughts?