Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts impressed with Marlon Mack so far this offseason

RockThatBlue

http://www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2017/5/26/15701476/colts-impressed-with-marlon-mack-so-far-this-offseason

“He looks good,” head coach Chuck Pagano said on Tuesday. “He’s a quick learner, a quick study. He’s picking up things extremely fast. He’s got good hands and he’s got good vision. He’s got a nice jump cut. He’s explosive and he can burst. He’s good in traffic and he’s learning the protection part of it. Again, we’re not going to know – hitting bags and things like that is one thing and learning who to get on is another. Once we get into pads and we get into the preseason, we’ll figure out if he can stop and block the guys that he’s going to have to block in pass protection. But he’s showing some good things out there to this point.”

17 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Great, now watch as he's the next Mike Hart in preseason and dominates, only to get injured and retire prematurely.

Yeah I hope not. I'm just waiting to hear "he's a rolling ball of butcher knives." When that happens I'll lose it. 

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

Chuck loves his coachspeak.

But I really did like the Mack pick. Then again, I also liked the Josh Robinson pick from a couple years ago, so disregard my opinion. 

Never apologize for being wrong. I'm wrong so much that sometimes I think it's my middle name. LOL! I respect that you always show up on the forum even when you miscalculated. You're fine in my book Peytonator. 

It would be nice if Mack took pressure off of Luck & gave him some breathing room or at least another option when the weather turns bad after Halloween. Knock on wood that he becomes an asset for INDY. 

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Means nothing until he's in an actual game. Wait to see him then.

That's true, getting enamored with a rookie too soon can be dicey if their results don't look all that promising at the outset. Baptism by fire is the real test as you say. 

Having said all that, I don't expect perfection the first yr just effort & mastering your playbook as soon as possible. 

IMO I can see him being a 800/600 type player. 800 yards rushing, 600 receiving. Much like Brian Westbrook from the Philly days.

He's 213 lbs now, but is barely 21 years old. I'd say he probably plays around 218-220 regularly so I wouldn't give his weight too much of a thought.

15 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I wish I could pull up the quote... I think he said nearly the exact same thing about Ferguson after rookie camp.

And Keirwin Williams?   He better look good in shorts, no pads, and no contact!

Personally,   I don't want Mack to ever play at more than 215 (He's currently at 213).    He looks like he has a leaner build to me and I don't want to gain any weight that might impact his speed, or quickness and that's Mack's calling card.

Honestly,   I don't want Mack to be the guy who replaces Gore.     I don't want him to be the every down back.   I'd like Mack to be the change of pace back.      I think in 2018,  we'll take another good RB who is built for more heavyweight duty.     A guy like Chubb or Freeman....    more of bigger bodied guy who is more of an inside guy to go with Mack's outside ability.       Then, we'd have an effective duo.

Just my preference.    I love Mack and I'm thrilled we took him.     I just want to maximize his natural gifts.

23 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I wish I could pull up the quote... I think he said nearly the exact same thing about Ferguson after rookie camp.

Pagano would say great things about a fresh turd out of cows butt if it was from our team. I never look at his quotes because his credibility of saying factual stuff about his players lost all meaning when he declared Richardson a ball of butcher knives when he came here. It's just rah rah rah. I'd rather him have a positive spin on his guys but also have some reality of what his guys are. Doesn't mean he has to put a guy down but saying the guy can block great or has wonderful vision when we watch that person and they whiff blocks and constantly run into the wrong holes all the time, he just looses credibility from many fans. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally,   I don't want Mack to ever play at more than 215 (He's currently at 213).    

Sorry man but I think posts like this are kind of ridiculous. Without knowing specifics on his body composition, body fat percentage etc etc its impossible to say what his playing weight should be. Some things, like a players ideal playing weight, are just impossible for a fan to have a good idea of so we should let the professionals determine that. :)

6 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I'm reserving judgment until I see him in the games. Too many times we've thought that the Colts had a good RB. Whether it would be injuries, system or just flat out bad. I do like the potential though

I think that is pretty much what Pagano said but it seems some just want to add their own negative spin on anything Pagano says.