Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Case Scenario Draft

I was very good at algebra. I'm also pretty good at being right. I was never very good at grammar; However, i did notice you used "no" in place of "know" and forgot to put an apostrophe for "Luck's"... but then again, what do i "know". :lombardi:

1. Since when is grammar a priority on a blog? Your taking that part a little too far.

2. Why didn't you respond to the actual meaningful part of the post? I see how you tried to dodge the logic part. Is it because you know the algebra proved the logic right, and that you don't want to admit to it?

1. Since when is grammar a priority on a blog? Your taking that part a little too far.

2. Why didn't you respond to the actual meaningful part of the post? I see how you tried to dodge the logic part. Is it because you know the algebra proved the logic right, and that you don't want to admit to it?

Because you are flaunting your "algebra" skills on an internet forum but don't know the difference between your and you're and use 'no' instead of 'know'. I'm not perfect at grammar or spelling but I try to make sure my posts make sense.

You're also going way off topic.

That being said, another poster brought up the fact that teams like Miami skip out on QB's each year only to take one the next year and it has killed them at the QB position.

You replied with Green Bay and New England. Two teams who were set at the QB position when they took their successors. New England and Green Bay are a completely different situation from a team like Miami. It does not even make sense logically to compare them. That is why everyone is face-palming at you.

Imagine if the Steelers stayed with Maddox and passed up on Big Ben for a QB "3 or 4 years later" down the draft. The point is, when in position you take the best QB possible when the need is the greatest. The Patriots and Packers did not have a huge need for QB when they took their respective QBs. Rodgers can be debated but he sat for 3 years before becoming significant. Because at the time Favre was healthy, still a good quarterback, and they were still contending even in 2007. Unlike the Colts who don't have a healthy quarterback, are rebuilding, and are going to be a different team next year.

The Colts are in need of a QB right now because nobody knows how Manning will come out of this. If Manning was 100% healthy and never had these surgeries, then you can make an argument to wait a few years. Unfortunately some people are blinded by ignorance and do not realize Manning is notimmortal. He is injured and we are poised to take the best QB in the draft.

Because you are flaunting your "algebra" skills on an internet forum but don't know the difference between your and you're and use 'no' instead of 'know'. I'm not perfect at grammar or spelling but I try to make sure my posts make sense.

You're also going way off topic.

That being said, another poster brought up the fact that teams like Miami skip out on QB's each year only to take one the next year and it has killed them at the QB position.

You replied with Green Bay and New England. Two teams who were set at the QB position when they took their successors. New England and Green Bay are a completely different situation from a team like Miami. It does not even make sense logically to compare them. That is why everyone is face-palming at you.

Imagine if the Steelers stayed with Maddox and passed up on Big Ben for a QB "3 or 4 years later" down the draft. The point is, when in position you take the best QB possible when the need is the greatest. The Patriots and Packers did not have a huge need for QB when they took their respective QBs. Rodgers can be debated but he sat for 3 years before becoming significant. Because at the time Favre was healthy, still a good quarterback, and they were still contending even in 2007. Unlike the Colts who don't have a healthy quarterback, are rebuilding, and are going to be a different team next year.

The Colts are in need of a QB right now because nobody knows how Manning will come out of this. If Manning was 100% healthy and never had these surgeries, then you can make an argument to wait a few years. Unfortunately some people are blinded by ignorance and do not realize Manning is notimmortal. He is injured and we are poised to take the best QB in the draft.

Half of this made no sense and was not relevant. Maddox to Roethlisberger? Who is the better quarterback? Maddox had a down poor year the year that Roethlisberger was drafted and he was benched in favor of Ben and Charlie Batch several times.

And if you consider a = b + c is flaunting someone's algebra skills, then you are just plain ignorant.

And you won't answer the fact that trading the pick is equal in value to not trading it. You don't have to dodge the question either, it's not embarrasing or anything like that.

Half of this made no sense and was not relevant. Maddox to Roethlisberger? Who is the better quarterback? Maddox had a down poor year the year that Roethlisberger was drafted and he was benched in favor of Ben and Charlie Batch several times.

And if you consider a = b + c is flaunting someone's algebra skills, then you must not have made it out of 2nd grade or you are just plain ignorant. I will go with the latter.

And you won't answer the fact that trading the pick is equal in value to not trading it. You don't have to dodge the question either, it's not embarrasing or anything like that.

So you trade the pick, and you get 4 or 5 picks back or whatever. Yes they are still equal in value. But now is where you run into the "value" problem. If Luck(who is the clear #1 overall pick) goes on to have a great career somewhere else. The 4 or 5 picks the Colts get in return must go on to have legitimately good careers to match the value Luck brought with the #1 pick.

If Luck goes on to have a great career and the Colts hardly get anything or maybe 1 or 2 of those picks pan out, now all of a sudden the value is offset.

By passing up on 1 player and putting the eggs in the basket of a bunch of players, there is a lot of risk.

This is why the #1 pick is almost never traded. The risk in return does not make sense when a team is poised to take the BEST player in the draft. Why trade down from the best player into the draft for lesser players with higher risk? It does not make sense.

It actually has worked for the Chargers twice but in both situations they got burned in the end and have won 0 SB's since. I dont blame the Colts but they got burned badly with the Elway issue. That was really out of the Colts' hands though.

So you trade the pick, and you get 4 or 5 picks back or whatever. Yes they are still equal in value. But now is where you run into the "value" problem. If Luck(who is the clear #1 overall pick) goes on to have a great career somewhere else. The 4 or 5 picks the Colts get in return must go on to have legitimately good careers to match the value Luck brought with the #1 pick.

If Luck goes on to have a great career and the Colts hardly get anything or maybe 1 or 2 of those picks pan out, now all of a sudden the value is offset.

By passing up on 1 player and putting the eggs in the basket of a bunch of players, there is a lot of risk.

This is why the #1 pick is almost never traded. The risk in return does not make sense when a team is poised to take the BEST player in the draft. Why trade down from the best player into the draft for lesser players with higher risk? It does not make sense.

It actually has worked for the Chargers twice but in both situations they got burned in the end and have won 0 SB's since. I dont blame the Colts but they got burned badly with the Elway issue. That was really out of the Colts' hands though.

Thank you.

Yeah if you want to trade the pick, then you have to draft properly. It will be more difficult, but if Peyton Manning is healthy, then the return on those picks is higher than just drafting Andrew Luck.

If 3 of those 5 first and second round players now mind you as that's what's the value is stated to be (3 1's and 2 2's), become good players in the NFL, and say two are busts or average. This is very reasonable, which would you rather have?

Would you rather have Luck lets equate him to the next Big Ben or.....

The next DT Terrance Knighton (quality) to Justin Smith (good), the next SS Eric Berry (quality) to Adrian Wilson (good), the next CB Vontae Davis (quality) to Jonathan Joseph (good).

I take 3 quality who could be potentially good and we aren't even saying great over just Big Ben (Luck). Porkchop Terrance Knighton at DT, Eric Berry at SS, and Vonte Davis CB I take over just Big Ben any day! What about you?

Especially now with the new rookie wage scale. There is alot less risk involved for the team drafting the #1 pick financially. So drafting a bust wont necessarily put the franchise back as badly.

If 3 of those 5 first and second round players now mind you as that's what's the value is stated to be (3 1's and 2 2's), become good players in the NFL, and say two are busts or average. This is very reasonable, which would you rather have?

Would you rather have Luck lets equate him to the next Big Ben or.....

The next DT Terrance Knighton (quality) to Justin Smith (good), the next SS Eric Berry (quality) to Adrian Wilson (good), the next CB Vontae Davis (quality) to Jonathan Joseph (good).

I take 3 quality who could be potentially good and we aren't even saying great over just Big Ben (Luck). Porkchop Terrance Knighton at DT, Eric Berry at SS, and Vonte Davis CB I take over just Big Ben any day! What about you?

Why would you equate Luck to Big Ben (who was not even a #1 overall pick) ? Luck is being touted as the greatest prospect since Elway and some say he is even better. I'll take Elway for example over all of those you listed combined. I'll take Manning over all of them. I will also take Luck over all of them.

Luck is the best player in the draft. I do not need to trade the best player for a bunch of good players.

Using a similar scenario I would not trade Peyton Manning (pre surgery) for Justin Smith, Adrian Wilson and Jonathan Joseph. That would be a terrible deal.

Why would you equate Luck to Big Ben (who was not even a #1 overall pick) ? Luck is being touted as the greatest prospect since Elway and some say he is even better. I'll take Elway for example over all of those you listed combined. I'll take Manning over all of them. I will also take Luck over all of them.

Luck is the best player in the draft. I do not need to trade the best player for a bunch of good players.

Using a similar scenario I would not trade Peyton Manning (pre surgery) for Justin Smith, Adrian Wilson and Jonathan Joseph. That would be a terrible deal.

I think Ben Roethlisberger is a very good quarterback, one of the top 8 guys in the NFL right now. It's not smart to compare Andrew Luck to John Elway, that's not a fair comparison for Luck.

I think Ben Roethlisberger is a very good quarterback, one of the top 8 guys in the NFL right now. It's not smart to compare Andrew Luck to John Elway, that's not a fair comparison for Luck.

im just talking as prospects, I would not compare luck to any active NFL quarterback

im just talking as prospects, I would not compare luck to any active NFL quarterback

Yeah..., but Elway turned into one of the best quarterbacks ever, and we don't really know what Luck will turn into. He will probably be very good, but that's just educated speculating. In the end, it's what they become in the NFL, not what they are as prospects.

First point - I have read through most of this thread and I think what is getting lost is the value of the franchise QB. It is virtually incalculable. Pretend there is no salary cap - does anyone think the Giants would trade Eli right now for the entire Colts roster, free agents and all? I think the answer is pretty clear that they would not. Same thing with all the draft picks that are being discussed in exchange for Luck. If Luck becomes what many think he will be, it is virtually impossible for the value of the picks they get in return to be equal value.

Second point - the teams that do best in the draft are the ones who take a BPA philosophy v. drafting for need.

Third point - if the best player in the draft also fills a pretty big need at the most important position in all sports, why would you ever do something different than make that selection?

Last point - can anyone truly say that:

* Manning will be 100% healthy in September

* His contract is not burdensome to team growth

First point - I have read through most of this thread and I think what is getting lost is the value of the franchise QB. It is virtually incalculable. Pretend there is no salary cap - does anyone think the Giants would trade Eli right now for the entire Colts roster, free agents and all? I think the answer is pretty clear that they would not. Same thing with all the draft picks that are being discussed in exchange for Luck. If Luck becomes what many think he will be, it is virtually impossible for the value of the picks they get in return to be equal value.

Second point - the teams that do best in the draft are the ones who take a BPA philosophy v. drafting for need.

Third point - if the best player in the draft also fills a pretty big need at the most important position in all sports, why would you ever do something different than make that selection?

Last point - can anyone truly say that:

* Manning will be 100% healthy in September

* His contract is not burdensome to team growth

Your overvalueing the quarterback position exponentially. Offenses win games, defenses win championships.

The teams who match need with value do the best, not the teams that just pick the best player available.

If Manning is healthy it doesn't fill a need.

September is a long time away. His contract may be expensive, but it's cheaper than what it could have been. You could say the same thing for Tom Brady's contract as well, except that it was the highest salary in the NFL when he got it.

Your overvalueing the quarterback position exponentially. Offenses win games, defenses win championships.

The teams who match need with value do the best, not the teams that just pick the best player available.

If Manning is healthy it doesn't fill a need.

September is a long time away. His contract may be expensive, but it's cheaper than what it could have been. You could say the same thing for Tom Brady's contract as well, except that it was the highest salary in the NFL when he got it.

Negative. A great QB gives you the chance to win virtually any game you are in. Tell me, how can you overvalue the most important position in all of sports. Bad QB play gets you beat virtually every time. TJ Yates says hello.

Do you think the Giants would trade Eli for the entire Colts' roster?

Defense wins championships - you need a new cliche.

Teams that match need with value? So what does that mean? If their biggest need is a NT but the one they covet had a 3rd round grade, does that mean they take in him round 1 or 2?

Manning may be healthy in Sept. He may not be. Problem is they and he need to make decisions about what to do about 5 months in front of that Sept date.

Negative. A great QB gives you the chance to win virtually any game you are in. Tell me, how can you overvalue the most important position in all of sports. Bad QB play gets you beat virtually every time. TJ Yates says hello.

Do you think the Giants would trade Eli for the entire Colts' roster?

Defense wins championships - you need a new cliche.

Teams that match need with value? So what does that mean? If their biggest need is a NT but the one they covet had a 3rd round grade, does that mean they take in him round 1 or 2?

Manning may be healthy in Sept. He may not be. Problem is they and he need to make decisions about what to do about 5 months in front of that Sept date.

What do you think bad defensive play does? Matt Shaub with 2010 Texan's defense and T.J. Yates with 2011 Texan's defense scream back Hello!?

Would the colts roster improve the Giants? What type of question is this?

Defense wins championships. If the cliche isn't broken then why fix it?

It means you draft smart, not just draft 500 CB's because they happen to be the best player available again and again.

Dude you missed it, I totally schooled you. Hence the Superbowl trophy. Your post didn't warrant a response, it wasn't logical. I actually feel sorry for you. You still haven't realized Peyton is toast and its time we move on.

Dude you missed it, I totally schooled you. Hence the Superbowl trophy. Your post didn't warrant a response, it wasn't logical. I actually feel sorry for you. You still haven't realized Peyton is toast and its time we move on.

You know why you keep dodging the question? It's because you know I'm right. It's not embarrasing to be wrong or anything, it happens to everybody. So much for you schooling me! ;)

You know why you keep dodging the question? It's because you know I'm right. It's not embarrasing to be wrong or anything, it happens to everybody. So much for you schooling me! ;)

You are right about what?? That we aren't taking Luck in Round1? I don't understand you. Your comments don't make any sense to me and you sound like a petulant little child. I in fact schooled you so bad you don't even realize it. Guess what, when we draft Luck and dump Peyton, don't worry... i will be back on here to make sure you hear of it. I am always right, I have this innate quality inside my head... It's called logic.

You are right about what?? That we aren't taking Luck in Round1? I don't understand you. Your comments don't make any sense to me and you sound like a petulant little child. I in fact schooled you so bad you don't even realize it. Guess what, when we draft Luck and dump Peyton, don't worry... i will be back on here to make sure you hear of it. I am always right, I have this innate quality inside my head... It's called logic.

Why are you getting mad lol?

I said I am right that trading the #1 pick is equal in value to keeping it. That's where the a = b stuff came in. That's why I said so much for schooling me... ;)

This response doesn't make any since... I really don't know what to say, I guess we could use Painter, Collins, and Orlovsky again, or we could draft a quarterback like maybe Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray in the future.

It makes sense as sarcasm.....