Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richard Sherman won't let go and it's a problem

Finball

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read most of that and i have to say that article was all over the place!  it was titled why sherman cant get over the SB loss, but that shouldnt be very complicated

they blew it and havent been back since.

you run it every time there.  the defense wasnt even fooled by a pass, both revis and butler read the play before the snap

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't blame him. Pete Carroll with the worse call in SB history and Russell Wilson with a huge choke. They gave a SB away 'GAVE'. It's extremely tough to win a SB and they had it in the bag but lost because of pure dumbness.

How can it be both the worst call and a choke? 

7 minutes ago, wig said:

How can it be both the worst call and a choke? 

How can it not be is the better question? If they run Lynch, they win the SB. Almost everyone agrees with me. I suppose you just think Malcom Butler made a great play LOL. The play call was terrible, how can that even be questioned? You never throw over the middle in traffic from the 1 Yard line.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How can it not be is the better question? If they run Lynch, they win the SB. Almost everyone agrees with me. I suppose you just think Malcom Butler made a great play LOL. The play call was terrible, how can that even be questioned? You never throw over the middle in traffic from the 1 Yard line.

Was it a bad call or bad executuon?  You have to pick one. 

If Seattle had run the ball in from the 2, the hot take from that Super Bowl would have been the miracle catch by Kearse. You can argue that the INT was just a case of the football gods making up for a freak play at a key moment in the game. 

Without Butler's play, the Kearse catch would have been up there with David Tyree. 

I don't think it was a terrible call given the defense the Patriots were in and the success rate that Lynch had with goal-line runs that year. It was just poorly executed. If the coverage was that tight, Wilson should have thrown it at their ankles. 

51 minutes ago, GoPats said:

If Seattle had run the ball in from the 2, the hot take from that Super Bowl would have been the miracle catch by Kearse. You can argue that the INT was just a case of the football gods making up for a freak play at a key moment in the game. 

Without Butler's play, the Kearse catch would have been up there with David Tyree. 

I don't think it was a terrible call given the defense the Patriots were in and the success rate that Lynch had with goal-line runs that year. It was just poorly executed. If the coverage was that tight, Wilson should have thrown it at their ankles. 

The execution was terrible, Russ should've ran or thrown it away. I know it's easy for me to sit here and say that now LOL but he should've. I would've ran Lynch but that is just me. Butler did read that beautifully as well but I hated the play call.

Locker room chemistry is underrated. But it also shows you that without a great D bailing him out, Wilson is far more limited than the likes of Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Luck etc. to put the team on his back and carry them. It is only coming to the surface now that the D is not getting as much help as in the past from the offense. The biggest difference is O-line and Marshawn Lynch not being around to help Wilson. It makes you tip the hat to active QBs like Rodgers, Brees, Luck etc. who carry the team despite a bad D several times.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am actually watching First Take today which I don't do a lot anymore and Stephen A Smith just said, "Pete Carroll's call is the dumbest call in SB history". "If they would've just gave the ball to Lynch Seattle wins the SB". I do watch Stephen A at times despite what many may not believe.

While it was the dumbest call in SB history, it was ONE bad call. Atlanta shouldn't have put the ball in the air a single time after they got into FG range right after the insane Julio grab.

18 hours ago, GoPats said:

Lynch ran it like 5 yards the play before, it's the SB and you're on the 1 yard line and have the best RB in the league in your backfield...

It was horrible. It was #1 on the worst plays in NFL history on their top 10 list show....and deservingly so. That said it just barely beat out our fake punt against the pats on the list. I can only imagine how Sherman would have felt about that. Good coaches make dumb mistakes against Belicheck. He puts pressure on you and people out think themselves. Honestly it just comes down to execution and usually winning at the LOS. Like Denver did when they beat up Brady. It was horrible to throw that pattern and play on the 1. No room for error there with a very young qb...and a defense on their heels that looked defeated. Worst case if you throw you throw outside or roll out with an option to run or throw it out of the endzone.....just dumb all around and everyone knows it. Had Seattle not beaten the Broncos the year before I promise that play would haunt them like the fumble in Cleveland for decades.

21 hours ago, GoPats said:

Great plays happen. I remember the Tyree catch but that win isn't known for it. Its known for the NE choke job.....the could have been 17-0 team that laid an egg in the SB game. Giants dominated the line of scrimmage and NY made big plays at the end to win...even the TD that came after the Tyree catch. Giants second SB wasn't known for the Manningham catch. It was a legit amazing play but every SB has amazing plays. Heck same thing happened on the Edelman catch...no different than Kearse....and yet nobody cares about Edelmans catch...its Atlanta's collapse...and partially Toms comeback. While Kearse's play was improbable and amazing its hardly what the game would have been remembered for. All these games are more than just one play.....it took a lot of plays to  win and lose a game....just this SB was lost on basically the last play of the game...that is why its remembered in such a way. Seattle managing to grab defeat in the face of victory. Also they are usually won and lost on the field and few determined by such a glaring coaching mistake.

Look, I get it. Sherman thinks Pete Carroll cost them another SB & that Wilson should have never thrown that ball. I also know getting to a SB isn't easy & that nobody remembers as a fan which team lost once enough years pass by. Richard is competitive, passionate, & this loss gnaws away at him since there is no guarantee he will ever play in another SB.

But, what purpose does it serve to slam your QB or HC? It's not like Sherman has never been beaten in the secondary either. You don't see Pete or Russell going to Richard "You call that coverage? That's pathetic." 

Personally, I think stirring this up that call over & over again is the problem. Maybe the team has to hold a funeral for that interception & let Sherman & anybody else moan & groan & get all their feelings on the table in order to put that game to bed & move on. You don't see Dan Marino & Jim Kelly vent endlessly about SB losses do ya? 

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The execution was terrible, Russ should've ran or thrown it away. I know it's easy for me to sit here and say that now LOL but he should've. I would've ran Lynch but that is just me. Butler did read that beautifully as well but I hated the play call.

It's one of those things... if it had worked, it would have been viewed as a brilliant call. But it didn't work. 

4 hours ago, bababooey said:

Lynch ran it like 5 yards the play before, it's the SB and you're on the 1 yard line and have the best RB in the league in your backfield...

Look at Lynch's stats on short-yardage carries that season. The Patriots also stuffed him on several runs late in the game. It was second down. 

I know it's easy to sit here now, knowing what happened, and say "Terrible call!" But I don't think throwing the ball from that distance is that uncommon in today's NFL. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Great plays happen. I remember the Tyree catch but that win isn't known for it. Its known for the NE choke job.....the could have been 17-0 team that laid an egg in the SB game. Giants dominated the line of scrimmage and NY made big plays at the end to win...even the TD that came after the Tyree catch. Giants second SB wasn't known for the Manningham catch. It was a legit amazing play but every SB has amazing plays. Heck same thing happened on the Edelman catch...no different than Kearse....and yet nobody cares about Edelmans catch...its Atlanta's collapse...and partially Toms comeback. While Kearse's play was improbable and amazing its hardly what the game would have been remembered for. All these games are more than just one play.....it took a lot of plays to  win and lose a game....just this SB was lost on basically the last play of the game...that is why its remembered in such a way. Seattle managing to grab defeat in the face of victory. Also they are usually won and lost on the field and few determined by such a glaring coaching mistake.

Hey dgambill! Always appreciate your takes. You're a good objective poster. 

I do slightly disagree though. When I think of the first Giants SB, I immediately think of the Tyree catch. For me it's the signature play of the game. But I realize that's just my perspective. 

Edelman's catch was crazy but I don't think it came on a critical conversion down? 

6 minutes ago, GoPats said:

I do slightly disagree though. When I think of the first Giants SB, I immediately think of the Tyree catch. For me it's the signature play of the game. But I realize that's just my perspective. 

Edelman's catch was crazy but I don't think it came on a critical conversion down? 

I am still in shock the Patriots lost that SB. Going into that game I thought the Pats would dominate. A lot of things went right for the Giants in that game and I underestimated how great the Giants D.Line was. The Tyree catch is the 1st thing I think of as well when someone brings that game up. It was the standout play I agree. Much like the Colts/Saints SB, Peyton's INT always sticks in my mind even over the Onside Kick. The best team doesn't always win in Football, that is what makes the game so entertaining to watch.

3 minutes ago, GoPats said:

No it was a first down play....kinda got the drive going...also wasted Atlanta time out challenging it. Definitely late in the game and still very significant....but that also proves my point....great/incredible play but still didn't define the game. Tyree was that too....it came on a more significant down and distance and with Manning looking like he was going to get sacked....but to me the overall tone of that game and what I came away with was the Giants domination of the LOS and putting Brady under pressure. That was the deciding factor...and that the juggernaut Pats couldn't finish the job....but I'm just an objective viewer...I had nothing on the line. Seeing it from a Pats perspective I could see how you think that....probably same goes for that INT and finish. I just saw everything as part of a picture....and the painting basically complete and then the Seattle coach deciding to throw turpentine on the whole painting on the last play of the day ruining it. I understand no two people see it a like but I don't think that would have been what the game was remembered for. It would have been a big play just like the Tyree but the overall feeling would have been something different. Just like I don't go back and look at those Giant wins as lucky fluke wins....however that one horrible game deciding play at the end does become the theme because of just how boneheaded it was.

Sherman sounds a little bipolar.

As far as blame for the play I put 80% on the play call and 20% on Wilson.

Thing is that play is usually a drop and throw because the play is an attempt to "pick" a guy and get another guy open.  So a lot of QB's in that situation don't really scan to see if there is something bad happening there.  They don't have time.  Quite frankly usually that play isn't read so well.  It's not insanely stupid or risky, it was just called that because it went badly.  But there where better safer options for the situation.  

So while Wilson could have gone with something different he just didn't have time.  

Plus other options where available. Before that play Lynch had a pretty good run that didn't get them in but got good positive yardage.  I think it was like a 6 yard or 8 yard gain.  It didn't put them in, but it brought them pretty close.  Plus Lynch was the star of their offense and was rolling.  Letting him finish the job is the simple call here and it's not a bad or risky one by any means.

If not that then you take advantage of Wilson's mobility by giving him a run pass/read on a rollout.  If he doesn't see a surefire 100% throw then either run, dump the ball off to Lynch while still in the backfield or throw it into the stands.  

If not that Wilson could do a read option play.  

I get you don't want to risk your QB running too much.  But this is the end of the dang superbowl at the 1 and Wilson is elusive enough that he could punch it in if he doesn't have any good passing options.  I wouldn't be afraid to let my QB run it in that situation.

You could also do a shovel pass.  Usually unexpected and can get you where you need to be.

Another option is a full back dive.  Lynch is the star, they are keying in on Lynch.  Have Lynch fake a toss left while Wilson hands off to the fullback to get that 1 yard.  In fact this is probably the play I would call.  The DL and LB's are all going to be laser focused on Lynch in that situation.  

Remember he's got 2 more downs after this to get that 1 yard.  

26 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Sherman sounds a little bipolar.

As far as blame for the play I put 80% on the play call and 20% on Wilson.

Thing is that play is usually a drop and throw because the play is an attempt to "pick" a guy and get another guy open.  So a lot of QB's in that situation don't really scan to see if there is something bad happening there.  They don't have time.  Quite frankly usually that play isn't read so well.  It's not insanely stupid or risky, it was just called that because it went badly.  But there where better safer options for the situation.  

So while Wilson could have gone with something different he just didn't have time.  

Plus other options where available. Before that play Lynch had a pretty good run that didn't get them in but got good positive yardage.  I think it was like a 6 yard or 8 yard gain.  It didn't put them in, but it brought them pretty close.  Plus Lynch was the star of their offense and was rolling.  Letting him finish the job is the simple call here and it's not a bad or risky one by any means.

If not that then you take advantage of Wilson's mobility by giving him a run pass/read on a rollout.  If he doesn't see a surefire 100% throw then either run, dump the ball off to Lynch while still in the backfield or throw it into the stands.  

If not that Wilson could do a read option play.  

I get you don't want to risk your QB running too much.  But this is the end of the dang superbowl at the 1 and Wilson is elusive enough that he could punch it in if he doesn't have any good passing options.  I wouldn't be afraid to let my QB run it in that situation.

You could also do a shovel pass.  Usually unexpected and can get you where you need to be.

Another option is a full back dive.  Lynch is the star, they are keying in on Lynch.  Have Lynch fake a toss left while Wilson hands off to the fullback to get that 1 yard.  In fact this is probably the play I would call.  The DL and LB's are all going to be laser focused on Lynch in that situation.  

Remember he's got 2 more downs after this to get that 1 yard.  

Wow V-2004, you've clearly given this play a lot of thought. More than Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell did. 

I know; I know Malcolm Butler just made a tremendous play/interception. 

Your 1st sentence is intriguing even though I'm no medical expert on mental disorders. It does make you wonder though. 

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

Look at Lynch's stats on short-yardage carries that season. The Patriots also stuffed him on several runs late in the game. It was second down. 

I know it's easy to sit here now, knowing what happened, and say "Terrible call!" But I don't think throwing the ball from that distance is that uncommon in today's NFL. 

Dude, it was a TERRIBLE call.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

It was horrible. It was #1 on the worst plays in NFL history on their top 10 list show....and deservingly so. That said it just barely beat out our fake punt against the pats on the list. I can only imagine how Sherman would have felt about that. Good coaches make dumb mistakes against Belicheck. He puts pressure on you and people out think themselves. Honestly it just comes down to execution and usually winning at the LOS. Like Denver did when they beat up Brady. It was horrible to throw that pattern and play on the 1. No room for error there with a very young qb...and a defense on their heels that looked defeated. Worst case if you throw you throw outside or roll out with an option to run or throw it out of the endzone.....just dumb all around and everyone knows it. Had Seattle not beaten the Broncos the year before I promise that play would haunt them like the fumble in Cleveland for decades.

If I remember correctly,  our fake punt was 6th on the list of all-time worst calls.

The SB play at the goal-line was 1st.      

So, I wouldn't say it "just barely" beat out our messed up punt.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I remember correctly,  our fake punt was 6th on the list of all-time worst calls.

The SB play at the goal-line was 1st.      

So, I wouldn't say it "just barely" beat out our messed up punt.

I agree I think Pete's call was much worse and it happened in a much bigger situation. Should Chuck even get most of the blame for that Fake Punt play? I mean I blame that a lot on the player who hiked the ball. Who would hike the ball with the opposing teams players just hovering over you? That was just crazy.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree I think Pete's call was much worse and it happened in a much bigger situation. Should Chuck even get most of the blame for that Fake Punt play? I mean I blame that a lot on the player who hiked the ball. Who would hike the ball with the opposing teams players just hovering over you? That was just crazy.

I think Chuck gets the blame because one of the two guys (I don't remember which)  who was either hiking the ball or was the QB was the back-up.     The original player to do that function got hurt earlier in the game.

For me,   at that point,  I would've scrapped the play and just not run it.     I know the ball was not supposed to be snapped....    you can see Pagano clearly saying "who told you to snap the ball?"   to one of the players.    But the chances for confusion and for the poop to hit the fan went way up when one of the two guys got hurt.

I would've dumped the play.      I'm OK with the play being on the list,   but Pete's bad call is the biggest because,  as you noted,   the situation.    Blowing a Super Bowl like that is just crushing for a franchise.....    

This is wonderful. Let the destruction of the Seahawks continue....No one has shed tears over them blowing that SB and no one is going to be crying as they continue their decline back to mediocrity. Such an annoying, whiny team who was supposed to be a 'dynasty' and what a joke that was. 

For the record; they did not lose that SB solely on that one bad play call. They blew a 10 point lead and couldn't hang onto that. Their offense did nothing after taking that 10 point lead until they got a lucky circus catch on the final drive.

Go back to the first quarter and Brady's interception in the end zone. If that don't happen, NE goes up 14-0 early (since Seattle couldn't stop them from putting the first TD on the board regardless of their success with an INT down there earlier). NE pretty much controlled the pace of this game in the first half; Seattle had to go for a TD on the final seconds of the first half just to tie. 

After going up by 10, their super-historically-awesome-no-one-can-beat-them defense couldn't hold onto that lead and Brady finished the game with 4 TD's, absolutely ripping them shreds. 

Seattle deserved to lose that SB. It had a lot more to do with just the one call at the goal line. They needed a circus catch that don't happen 9 out of 10 times just to get down to the goal line on that final drive. NE wanted more at the end of the day, that's the bottom line...

11 hours ago, GoPats said:

No one ever brings up that the 49ers did the exact same thing a few years prior...The final drive of that SB; Gore takes them to the goal line and they called 4 passing plays. 

Had the Seahawks won that game, everyone would be calling that play GENIUS. That's just how it goes when you gamble in the NFL...

Seattle did not lose that SB on one bad play call. They had a 10 point lead and blew it. The Pats just wanted it more that day and fought a lot harder for it. Seattle's "historic defense" let Brady go off on them for 4 TD's and he was shredding them most of the game...All the Seahawks had to do was hang onto that 10 point lead though and no one would be having this discussion about the one bad call at the goal line.

This is what the Belichick Effect does.  It makes you think too hard to try and out-guess him and most of the time it backfires.  Look at what the Colts did on that fake "punt".  The Hoody gets in people's heads and it usually works.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

This is what the Belichick Effect does.  It makes you think too hard to try and out-guess him and most of the time it backfires.  Look at what the Colts did on that fake "punt".  The Hoody gets in people's heads and it usually works.

That is why it puzzles me that even a noodle armed Peyton forced Belichick's thinking for going for too many 4th downs in the red zone vs the Broncos in the 2015 AFCCG missing out on 2 FGs that could have won them the game. Not to mention the infamous 4th & 2.

Peyton, having played Belichick so many times, knew a few things about getting key first downs vs his D, that could have played a big factor in that AFCCG. The 4th & 2 game, you could see the momentum shifting towards Peyton and Brady was the best thing Belichick had, better than his D, to combat it, so I understood the thought process.

On 5/25/2017 at 0:27 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Butler making a great play and the call being bad are not mutually exclusively. The reality is that most of the time that ball isn't intercepted. Butler had to make a great play to intercept it. Wilson, and a lot of people don't like to say this, actually also need to throw the ball a bit off for Butler to also have as good of a shot to intercept it as it did. 

And the play call for a pass can be questioned as a horrible call. That's actually a pretty easy TD if Butler doesn't jump the route. Very easy in fact. And if they missed now you just run Lynch twice and hope he gets a TD (you weren't going to be able to run him 3 times, so all you really did was give yourself an extra play to try for a TD). 

You could argue it was safer to call a roll out. But that play 99% of the time is a TD or an incompletion. They just happened to be playing a team that practiced that play and had CB who used to be on the team last year (Browner) informing Butler of the play who jammed up the right guy to make Butler's route easier. 

It's more of a perception becomes reality thing. 

And I know there is a inclination to say "if they run Lynch they, win the Super Bowl". That's just not true. Statistically Lynch is bad in those situations, statistically nobody has gotten intercepted all that year on 1 and goal, statistically giving yourself 3 attempts to win the game is better than running it twice and giving yourself 2. If you play the odds calling a pass wasn't a horrible call. And Seattle has had success on that play.

The biggest thing you can say is that they could have been safer and ran something that was harder to pull off but harder to intercept. 

Sherman can be mad about it, but his defense was getting torched in the 4th quarter of that game and gave up the lead, the only reason Seattle was even in a position to win that game was because Kearse caught that crazy ball earlier.

On 5/27/2017 at 8:14 AM, chad72 said:

That is why it puzzles me that even a noodle armed Peyton forced Belichick's thinking for going for too many 4th downs in the red zone vs the Broncos in the 2015 AFCCG missing out on 2 FGs that could have won them the game. Not to mention the infamous 4th & 2.

Peyton, having played Belichick so many times, knew a few things about getting key first downs vs his D, that could have played a big factor in that AFCCG. The 4th & 2 game, you could see the momentum shifting towards Peyton and Brady was the best thing Belichick had, better than his D, to combat it, so I understood the thought process.

And that is called the Peyton Effect.  He may have been the only player that would make Belichick do something out of character.  Sorry to see him go.

Think how you would have felt as a Colt fan if that happened. I remember the Steelers playoff game when they (Jerome Bettis) fumbled on the last play and the Colts picked it up and if they would have returned it for a TD it would have been a play to remember for all time. Make no mistake despite the uniforms the defense and offense are two very separate and opposing entities and perhaps this was made most evident with the 1985 Chicago Bears with Ryan and Ditka. I am not a Sherman fan but I stand with him on his attitude as he is playing not only to keep his job but to prove he deserves to be one of the best at his game, very much worth fighting for.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:26 PM, southwest1 said:

Wow V-2004, you've clearly given this play a lot of thought. More than Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell did. 

I know; I know Malcolm Butler just made a tremendous play/interception. 

Your 1st sentence is intriguing even though I'm no medical expert on mental disorders. It does make you wonder though. 

To be fair I got a lot longer to think about the play then the Seahawks OC did.  Plus the 20/20 vision of hindsight.

Butler did make a tremendous play and like I said before I don't think this play was profoundly stupid, it just gets called that because of the result.  But if Wilson completes that pass for a TD, no one would have ever thought the play call to be strange.  If that ball falls incomplete but they got the TD on 3rd down, no one would say anything about that play call.  It's only with hindsight is this play call considered stupid. 

But with that hindsight I think I would have done the FB dive with Lynch faking a toss left.  Low risk, simple, along with the added bonus that the box defenders are likely going to be keying in on Lynch and given the situation, all it takes is for them to hesitate for half a second.  

I'm not an expert either although I have somewhat of a working knowledge of them because my wife majored in psychology and was really into this stuff.  So while reading that, it's something that came to mind if all of those claims are true that he just seems somewhat bipolar.