Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 Colts players?

MarquisJ

Who do you think are the top 5 Colts players on this roster today? A year ago I'd have Pat in there and wanted to put Jack Doyel at 5 but Id love to see what everyone has to say..

1. Andrew Luck (of course but was tempted to put Ty)

2. TY Hilton

3. Adam V

4. Vontae Davis

5. Ryan Kelly

24 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

Who do you think are the top 5 Colts players on this roster today? A year ago I'd have Pat in there and wanted to put Jack Doyel at 5 but Id love to see what everyone has to say..

1. Andrew Luck (of course but was tempted to put Ty)

2. TY Hilton

3. Adam V

4. Vontae Davis

5. Ryan Kelly

Can't argue with that, except maybe put AC or Gore in for Kelly.  

If we are talking with respect to their position...............

1. TY

2. Luck

3. Vinatieri

4. Vontae

5. Sigh.....this roster is pretty trash right now.  A bunch of average guys or young guys who haven't taken the leap or who can't stay healthy.  #5 would be Moncrief or Geathers if they could stay on the field.

Honarable mention: McAfee would be #1 if he was still a Colt.

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Can't argue with that, except maybe put AC or Gore in for Kelly.  

AC really over Kelly? In my opinion I don't think so. AC single handle cost us a game against the Ram in 13'. 

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

AC really over Kelly? In my opinion I don't think so. AC single handle cost us a game against the Ram in 13'. 

Well, with that logic, let's consider Peyton's 6 INTs against the Chargers, and never vote him into the HF.

Fun topic. I'd mostly agree. Though I'd go:

1. Luck

2. Hilton

3. Vinatieri

4. Mewhort

5. Davis

I really think Mewhort is a pro-bowler with All-Pro potential is a year away from getting Lang/Zeitler money after this season if he stays healthy. That's why I was really hoping we would lock him up long term before he stays healthy for 16 games and turns in a fantastic season.  

I did this the past 3 years, thought I'd do it for the upcoming 2017-2018 season.

I've always liked CFN (formerly www.CollegeFootballNews.com) previews of each team, from year to year. Detailed, but also not too lengthy to read for the average fan.

e.g. http://cfn.scout.com/2/1084517.html

If the Colts had their preview...here's what I can see.

10 best players -----

1. Andrew Luck (QB)

2. TY Hilton (WR)

3. Johnathan Hankins (NT)

4. Ryan Kelly (C)

5. Vontae Davis (CB)

6. Jack Mewhort (G)

7. Anthony Castonzo (T)

8. Donte Moncrief (WR)

9. Henry Anderson (DE)

10. Adam Vinatieri (K)

Offense -----

Star of the offense: Andrew Luck

Player who has to step up and become a star: Joe Haeg, Le'Raven Clark, and/or Zach Banner
Unsung star on the rise: Jack Mewhort

3 pro-bowl candidates: Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, Ryan Kelly

Strengths: Overall depth at all positions

Weaknesses: Lack of star RB

Defense-----

Star of the defense: Johnathan Hankins

Player who has to step up and become a star: Tarell Basham, Quincy Wilson, and/or Malik Hooker
Unsung star on the rise: John Simon

3 pro-bowl candidates: Johnathan Hankins, Vontae Davis, Malik Hooker

Strengths: Defensive line, Safety

Weaknesses: Pass rush, ILBs

Since OP asked for TOP 5 players, but didn't describe the aspect, i go with my top 5 "most important":

1. Luck

2. Castonzo (considering there's no backup)

3. Hankins (we reallly need to solidify the dline)

4. Davis (only veteran amongs a bunch of sophomores/rookies in the sec)

5. T. Y. (the only blue chip in the offense not named Luck)

29 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Well thinking about this sure was depressing.

3 hours ago, tikyle said:

If we are talking with respect to their position...............

1. TY

2. Luck

3. Vinatieri

4. Vontae

5. Sigh.....this roster is pretty trash right now.  A bunch of average guys or young guys who haven't taken the leap or who can't stay healthy.  #5 would be Moncrief or Geathers if they could stay on the field.

This is how far I got before I made a :( face...

Luck

Hilton

Davis

?

Hopefully, next year this is a much easier exercise.

:clover:

23 minutes ago, Colt Cola said:

Loved that game, of course i was cheering for the other side then.

Man we still should have won!  Didn't they make AV re-kick a FG or something odd?   Something about illegal moving the ball?

Or am I thinking of a different game?   

10 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

1) Luck, 2) Davis, 3) Gore, 4) TY, 5) Hankins

Honorable mentions: Anderson, Kelly, Vinatieri, Mewhort, Costanzo

If we were to offer to loan TY or Gore to anyone who wants them for one season, is there a team in the world that would chose Gore?

Just now, bananabucket said:

If we were to offer to loan TY or Gore to anyone who wants them for one season, is there a team in the world that would chose Gore?

Would depend on the situation.  Gore is one of the all-time GOATs and still playing at a high level.  There are more WRs in the league I would take over TY than RBs that I would take over Gore.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Man we still should have won!  Didn't they make AV re-kick a FG or something odd?   Something about illegal moving the ball?

Or am I thinking of a different game?   

Yeah, that's the same game, and I don't recall the exact penalty, but AV still missed a chip shot.

3 hours ago, buccolts said:

Well, with that logic, let's consider Peyton's 6 INTs against the Chargers, and never vote him into the HF.

Has AC ever won a SB or a vote to a probowl? There's more to the logic. Your smart and we're talking about body of work. I've watched AC for years. Best season was 2014 as a Colt and guess who was drafted that year? Jack Mewhort. I'll say it again he feeds off of his blocks. When JM is out PFF the forum bible will back the numbers up. His game drops during those weeks.

32 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Would depend on the situation.  Gore is one of the all-time GOATs and still playing at a high level.  There are more WRs in the league I would take over TY than RBs that I would take over Gore.

Only WRs in the league better than TY is Julio Jones and Antonio Brown IMO.

45 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Only WRs in the league better than TY is Julio Jones and Antonio Brown IMO.

I'd say DeAndre Hopkins, O'dell Beckham Jr., AJ Green, Mike Evans, Larry Fitzgerald, Alshon Jeffrey (when healthy), Dez Bryant (when healthy), Jordy Nelson, plus Julio and AB are guys I think are better WRs than TY.

I'd say Jarvis Landry, Doug Baldwin, Amari Cooper, DeMaryius Thomas, etc.. are guys who are about on the same page as TY. 

I like TY a lot, don't get me wrong.  He's got tremendous speed and he is developing very nicely with his hands and route-running.  However, I think there are many WRs in the NFL who could come into our system and thrive w Luck as QB.  I don't know that TY could go play w/ a Brock Osweiler or Jay Cutler and be very successful.

6 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I did this the past 3 years, thought I'd do it for the upcoming 2017-2018 season.

I've always liked CFN (formerly www.CollegeFootballNews.com) previews of each team, from year to year. Detailed, but also not too lengthy to read for the average fan.

e.g. http://cfn.scout.com/2/1084517.html

If the Colts had their preview...here's what I can see.

10 best players -----

1. Andrew Luck (QB)

2. TY Hilton (WR)

3. Johnathan Hankins (NT)

4. Ryan Kelly (C)

5. Vontae Davis (CB)

6. Jack Mewhort (G)

7. Anthony Castonzo (T)

8. Donte Moncrief (WR)

9. Henry Anderson (DE)

10. Adam Vinatieri (K)

Offense -----

Star of the offense: Andrew Luck

Player who has to step up and become a star: Joe Haeg, Le'Raven Clark, and/or Zach Banner
Unsung star on the rise: Jack Mewhort

3 pro-bowl candidates: Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, Ryan Kelly

Strengths: Overall depth at all positions

Weaknesses: Lack of star RB

Defense-----

Star of the defense: Johnathan Hankins

Player who has to step up and become a star: Tarell Basham, Quincy Wilson, and/or Malik Hooker
Unsung star on the rise: John Simon

3 pro-bowl candidates: Johnathan Hankins, Vontae Davis, Malik Hooker

Strengths: Defensive line, Safety

Weaknesses: Pass rush, ILBs

The good and bad of this defense list is that we currently aren't sure if we truly have any pro bowlers, let alone 3. The good part of it though is that we have potential in several of the guys upfront on the line, a rejuvenated Davis with helpers and unknowns in the lb'rs and the db's that aren't named Davis. It could either go terribly wrong this season and the guys don't gel or it could be blissful and turn around a defunct defense into a thriving monster. 

A solid RT and RG combo puts our offense off the charts imo so the stars that could come from that side won't be a shocker if it's lost is way longer. 

I can't make an honest eval of the team right now.  Can only go with the guys who were on the team last year.  Too many new faces that could vault up in the mix.  

I have a lot of optimism for some of these new faces like Simon, Hankins, Hooker, Wilson. 

Guys whom i think will elevate their play like, Dorsett, Good, Clark, Anderson, Green.

Top  tier from last year, Luck, Hilton, Davis, Kelly, Mewhort.

18 hours ago, a06cc said:

Has AC ever won a SB or a vote to a probowl? There's more to the logic. Your smart and we're talking about body of work. I've watched AC for years. Best season was 2014 as a Colt and guess who was drafted that year? Jack Mewhort. I'll say it again he feeds off of his blocks. When JM is out PFF the forum bible will back the numbers up. His game drops during those weeks.

uh, yeah...that's the way OLs work.  that's why you constantly hear about the OL having to "gel" and develop chemistry together.  You can't just put 5 pro bowl offensive linemen together and expect them to immediately be an elite OL.  It would still take time for them to learn to work well together.

And I have no doubt at all that if you look at other LTs in the league, you'd see the same, or at least a similar drop in PFF score in games where their normal LG is out.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:42 PM, buccolts said:

crazy thing is, he's not even the reason we lost that game

AV shanked the fg lol

5 hours ago, J@son said:

uh, yeah...that's the way OLs work.  that's why you constantly hear about the OL having to "gel" and develop chemistry together.  You can't just put 5 pro bowl offensive linemen together and expect them to immediately be an elite OL.  It would still take time for them to learn to work well together.

And I have no doubt at all that if you look at other LTs in the league, you'd see the same, or at least a similar drop in PFF score in games where their normal LG is out.

He was ranked 20th among Left tackles. I don't want to hear anything about this guy being a top 5 player for us. He was better than 12 other tackles. Two of which were backups. Most LT's 1-15 can handle one one one match ups which AC cannot. The year he was drafted I wanted Nate Solder who is clearly the better player.

14 minutes ago, a06cc said:

He was ranked 20th among Left tackles. I don't want to hear anything about this guy being a top 5 player for us. He was better than 12 other tackles. Two of which were backups. Most LT's 1-15 can handle one one one match ups which AC cannot. The year he was drafted I wanted Nate Solder who is clearly the better player.

couple things...I doubt anyone cares what you do and don't want to hear about.  regardless of how few LTs in the league he's better than, that doesn't mean he still couldn't be one of the top 5 best players for the colts.  I'm not saying I necessarily agree but if he's not in the top 5, then he's only out by a couple of spots because he is one of the better players on the team.  

I also don't think it's accurate to say he can't handle one on one match ups.  He needs to be more consistent certainly, but to say he simply can't doesn't seem right.

1 minute ago, J@son said:

couple things...I doubt anyone cares what you do and don't want to hear about.  regardless of how few LTs in the league he's better than, that doesn't mean he still couldn't be one of the top 5 best players for the colts.  I'm not saying I necessarily agree but if he's not in the top 5, then he's only out by a couple of spots because he is one of the better players on the team.  

I also don't think it's accurate to say he can't handle one on one match ups.  He needs to be more consistent certainly, but to say he simply can't doesn't seem right.

No it is accurate to say he can't handle one one one's. That's what a LT is paid to do. I'll say he's 7th with that spot to lose if an up and coming player comes along. I'm not going to argue with you. PFF backs up the claims.

2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

No it is accurate to say he can't handle one one one's. That's what a LT is paid to do. I'll say he's 7th with that spot to lose if an up and coming player comes along. I'm not going to argue with you. PFF backs up the claims.

PFF says that AC has never been able to handle a one on one matchup?

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

PFF says that AC has never been able to handle a one on one matchup?

The stats will show it. But I'm done with the arguing. I have my own opinion and you have yours. I respect it. To me he isn't top 5 on this team. Don't reply to anything I have to say if you or anyone doesn't care what I have to say right? Again PFF has him ranked 20th. 

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

The stats will show it. But I'm done with the arguing. I have my own opinion and you have yours. I respect it. To me he isn't top 5 on this team. Don't reply to anything I have to say if you or anyone doesn't care what I have to say right? Again PFF has him ranked 20th. 

I'll reply to anything I want, as will everyone else on the forum.  If  you have a problem with that then internet forums are not for you. :)

ps. PFF is not to be considered gospel.  Even then, what the stat shows is that he's ranked 20th in the league among all LTs.  Unless there is another stat you've yet to post, it does not say he cannot handle one on ones.  If he simply couldn't handle one on ones then he wouldn't still be starting.  He's been inconsistent, I'll definitely say that though.