Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Dorsett is my break-out Colts player this year.

Lawrence Owen

Here is my reasoning. 

1: When he got picked in the first round in 2015, He was met with a LOT of 'boo's' from Media, and fans.  This creates something in a player.  a chip that makes them want to prove that picking them was not wrong. (not going into that old debate of if it actually was)

2:  Everyone knew of his speed.  And his hands were actually pretty good contrary to popular opinion. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/phillip-dorsett/

He had a 100% catch rate on contested catches.

and a 8.5% drop rate overall.  

3:  Last year he was worried his smaller frame would be a hindrance to him, so he worked out...a lot!   building size and muscle mass, but watching tape, he kept his speed and agility doing so.  this is a huge benefit.

4:  This year, he working on that 1 thing that separates great smaller, speedy receivers, from the rest.  His route running.  He has the new WR's coach Sanjay Lal working with him daily to get his form technique and route tree enhanced.  Not to mention he has the 'well' of info in Hilton that has been building from Marvin-Wayne-Hilton to tap into.

5:  If all the things I've mentioned previously come together, teams trying to focus on Hilton do to his known ability to get open behind a defense will give Dorsett the opportunity to showcase to new found talents and abilities.  (not to mention after re watching last years games on rewind, The were MANY times Luck overlooked a WIDE OPEN Dorsett because he was focused on the other side to the field.)

My pick was Edwin "Pound Cake" Jackson for breakout year 

Seemed to be getting better as the season went on. Sound like the ILB we took in the draft who's name I can't remember has taken control of the defense. That'd be a nice duplicate

Pound cake & Geathers dominated in that 2nd game against the Titans at the oil drum. Flying all over the field laying the wood 

Edit: Walker Jr. is the name. Walker & Jackson lumber company has a nice ring to it :lol: 

1 hour ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

I'm going out on a limb and say Barkivious Mingo. Not sure why but I am hoping he comes out firing on all cylinders..

Could you imagine if Mingo puts it all together and breaks out for us. LOL. Oh my God bro. We'd have a 15 sack superstar. Hey.. It takes some guys til their 5th season to put it all together. Numerous examples. We can hope. We honestly have like 10 legit possible breakout players. Hopefully we have 4-5 and 2 are on the OL. Haeg and Clark.

28 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Could you imagine if Mingo puts it all together and breaks out for us. LOL. Oh my God bro. We'd have a 15 sack superstar. Hey.. It takes some guys til their 5th season to put it all together. Numerous examples. We can hope. We honestly have like 10 legit possible breakout players. Hopefully we have 4-5 and 2 are on the OL. Haeg and Clark.

I really hope a young OLineman like Clark or Haeg has a breakout year and solidifies the OLine for Luck.

I don't have your optimism for Dorsette.  I think he's a bust.  That chip on his shoulder hasn't helped him thus far.

I will go with Swoope.  

He was pretty limited in playing time last year as the 3rd TE, but when the ball came his way he made catches and got yards after the catch too.

And he's gonna get a lot more playing time as the #2 TE this year.  

4 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Here is my reasoning. 

1: When he got picked in the first round in 2015, He was met with a LOT of 'boo's' from Media, and fans.  This creates something in a player.  a chip that makes them want to prove that picking them was not wrong. (not going into that old debate of if it actually was)

2:  Everyone knew of his speed.  And his hands were actually pretty good contrary to popular opinion. 

3:  Last year he was worried his smaller frame would be a hindrance to him, so he worked out...a lot!   building size and muscle mass, but watching tape, he kept his speed and agility doing so.  this is a huge benefit.

4:  This year, he working on that 1 thing that separates great smaller, speedy receivers, from the rest.  His route running.  He has the new WR's coach Sanjay Lal working with him daily to get his form technique and route tree enhanced.  Not to mention he has the 'well' of info in Hilton that has been building from Marvin-Wayne-Hilton to tap into.

5:  If all the things I've mentioned previously come together, teams trying to focus on Hilton do to his known ability to get open behind a defense will give Dorsett the opportunity to showcase to new found talents and abilities.  (not to mention after re watching last years games on rewind, The were MANY times Luck overlooked a WIDE OPEN Dorsett because he was focused on the other side to the field.)

Imo i would say release is what seperates the smaller and speedy receivers. IE. Antonio Brown alot of great defenders in this league have stated you cant touch AB he doesn't allow you to put handson him his release is impeccable. Dorsett needs to get better releasing off the line he gets bullied often.  

On offense, I'll go with Marlon Mack. Gore could really start to wear down by mid season and then it could be time for Mack to shine. Mack is a 3rd round back who went in the 4th round, and has very good agility in the open field and could be a great check down option for Luck.

On defense, I'll go with Henry Anderson. He started showing signs of being a really good player in 2015, until his injury. From what I'm hearing, he should be hopefully 100% and that could allow him to really break out this year, especially with Hankins taking some pressure and added blockers off of him. 

2 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Imo i would say release is what seperates the smaller and speedy receivers. IE. Antonio Brown alot of great defenders in this league have stated you cant touch AB he doesn't allow you to put handson him his release is impeccable. Dorsett needs to get better releasing off the line he gets bullied often.  

Yeah, speed doesn't always translate to the NFL, but quickness...  Wes Welker and Brandon Stokley weren't very fast, but they made a career out of being quick.

Guys that have both:  Marvin Harrison, Antonio Brown, T.Y. Hilton.

The thought of T.Y. and Dorsett both being quick AND fast...

Image result for andrew luck thumbs up

Image result for andrew luck thumbs up

5 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Here is my reasoning. 

I agree with all of this, and I also remember several times last year when Dorsett would be wide open but Luck went elsewhere with the ball. IMO his route running is the missing ingredient. Even TY Hilton wasn't really an elite route runner until last season, he had clearly improved, and surprise, he had his best season. A lot of people Dorsett has issues with drops, but that's simply not true. The Colts as a team had 25 dropped passes last year, and he was only responsible for 3, so that narrative is well overblown. If he can sharpen his route running (which apparently is his main focus with the new WR coach this offseason), he'll immediately be better.

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I agree with all of this, and I also remember several times last year when Dorsett would be wide open but Luck went elsewhere with the ball. IMO his route running is the missing ingredient. Even TY Hilton wasn't really an elite route runner until last season, he had clearly improved, and surprise, he had his best season. A lot of people Dorsett has issues with drops, but that's simply not true. The Colts as a team had 25 dropped passes last year, and he was only responsible for 3, so that narrative is well overblown. If he can sharpen his route running (which apparently is his main focus with the new WR coach this offseason), he'll immediately be better.

Dorsett wasn't the only one wide open when Luck forced it to TY.  But he only has a split second and TY is almost always open.  

Last year when they kept running Gore in the Wildcat to set up the flea flicker?   I thought TY was open but Luck dumped off to Gore for the long gain.  Then after watching the replay I could see he made the right decision.  

So he obviously doesn't force it all the time.  Man, have we been blessed with QBs!

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Dorsett wasn't the only one wide open when Luck forced it to TY.  But he only has a split second and TY is almost always open.  

Last year when they kept running Gore in the Wildcat to set up the flea flicker?   I thought TY was open but Luck dumped off to Gore for the long gain.  Then after watching the replay I could see he made the right decision.  

So he obviously doesn't force it all the time.  Man, have we been blessed with QBs!

I'm not all that concerned about him "forcing it to TY" as the results are typically pretty good.

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm not all that concerned about him "forcing it to TY" as the results are typically pretty good.

Yeah, I didn't mean it to sound like a bad thing.  TY is almost always open so when Luck gets in trouble and only has a nanosecond to make a decision, he's going to a guy he can count on.

I hope he can have the same confidence with the others soon.  

11 hours ago, life long said:

I dont see why not. Still Aiken is no slouch either. I see a real competition brewing. Moncriefs #2 spot is certainly up for grabs as well. 

Aiken's Career has been worse than Dorsett's at this point....  I mean, Aiken did alright in 2015, but Dorsett had a better year last year, and Aiken has done nothing before or since 2016 to give aby indication of being a threat to anyone's WR job.....  I hope he balls out, but he's not likely to....

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

If Chud is the breakout coach, then Dorsett has a shot at being the breakout player.

I want the 7 step dropsbacks upped from around 40% to 80% this year, nothing but pure runs up the middle.  I say they utilize screens on 0.0005% of plays and make sure to have Luck NOT look for the dumpoffs or under routes.  You also have to make sure to isolate Swoope 1 on 1 against dominate edge rushers with no help from anyone else, especially when they go up against Clowney.  

Pure domination!

28 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I want the 7 step dropsbacks upped from around 40% to 80% this year, nothing but pure runs up the middle.  I say they utilize screens on 0.0005% of plays and make sure to have Luck NOT look for the dumpoffs or under routes.  You also have to make sure to isolate Swoope 1 on 1 against dominate edge rushers with no help from anyone else, especially when they go up against Clowney.  

Pure domination!

......:spit:

I'm going LeRaven Clark as breakout player at RT.  Like what he did toward the end of the season.  He'll have a whole off-season of work under his belt now and he knows the offense.  He can stop thinking too much and just play.

13 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I wish I had the optimism you do for Dorsett.

I'll go with Aiken on breakout player

9 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Report on Phillip:

—Phillip Dorsett said he will be “a new and improved guy” this season. “I took my body to another level this offseason,” Dorsett added. A first-round pick in 2015, Dorsett missed a chunk of his rookie year after breaking his leg and failed to step up with Donte Moncrief sidelined last season. With a new front office in town and Kamar Aiken joining the team in free agency, it is now or never for the third-year player.

In other news - Second-round pick Quincy Wilson suffered an unspecified right lower leg injury on Monday and missed practice while wearing a walking boot. He was scheduled for an MRI later on Tuesday.

10 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Interesting that we see the same thing differently....

My view is most of Luck's interceptions come when he's trying to force the ball to TYH and he's not really open.

I think Luck either has too much farther in Hilton,  or not enough in the other receivers.....

But I'm a fan of spreading the ball around.....

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My view is most of Luck's interceptions come when he's trying to force the ball to TYH and he's not really open.

I think Luck either has too much farther in Hilton,  or not enough in the other receivers.....

According to the PFF podcast on Luck. Luck was amongst the unLuckiest qbs last season, when it came to turnovers. Citing tipped passes off wr's hands etc. 

It was PFF for whatever that is worth.....:dunno:

1 hour ago, life long said:

According to the PFF podcast on Luck. Luck was amongst the unLuckiest qbs last season, when it came to turnovers. Citing tipped passes off wr's hands etc. 

Some people on here don't like how PFF grades players.  But I think it is fairly accurate.  Only think i don't like how the o-line is graded as much.  An o-lineman can hold his own for 4-5 seconds then the guy (defensive) finally gets past him and get a pressure/hit/or sack, and they grade it against that o-lineman.  That seems it should be graded against the QB personally.  But other than that, I cite them fairly often.

13 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Aiken's Career has been worse than Dorsett's at this point....  I mean, Aiken did alright in 2015, but Dorsett had a better year last year, and Aiken has done nothing before or since 2016 to give aby indication of being a threat to anyone's WR job.....  I hope he balls out, but he's not likely to....

Taking away aikens '15, which is clearly better than any year dorsett has ever had. If you took away lucks '14, it has the same bearing for career averages, so its unfair to do so.Also, adding in value from draft position Dorsett has more to prove while having done less. That said I am looking for a big year from dorsett, he has those elite traits cb likes.

Ill believe it when i see it, i still think its another one of Grigs first round flops, i think it our WR corps looks like Hilton, Moncrief, Aiken, Dorsett, and i will go with Edwin Jackson as breakout player of the year.

3 hours ago, life long said:

FWIW, footballoutsiders had Luck with identical actual and adjusted interception rate.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/adjusted-interceptions-2016

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I mean don't get me wrong, sometimes I definitely wish he wouldn't do it as much, but Hilton led the league in yards last year, so getting the ball in his hands should definitely be a priority.

On 5/24/2017 at 2:46 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

AGREE!!!!!   Love it when someone actually watch the game instead of relying on what they hear from people who don't.