Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clayton Geathers

TKnight24

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

There was nothing mentioned about it being career ending.

Neck injuries are NOT to be taken lightly at all. The specific surgery they are referring to has a time table recovery of 3-6 months. Not to mention he may not be able to FULLY recover to 100 % after the surgery. Ultimately he may or may not choose to return to football, so it could very well be career ending.

It is too early to tell.  Coming back form a single level discectomy is possible Peyton Manning or Ahmad Bradshaw for a couple...).  But it is also possible to derail or end a career. Delano Howell anyone?  Timetables are guesswork at this point not a certainty.  Could be 3-4 months... or... 

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Thats no good, this sounds to be a possible career ending injury. Im sad, i hope he heals well. 

2 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

I'm not saying he is done but do any of the UDFagent

safeties have any talent?

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm no doctor but it sure doesn't sound good to me.

47 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It is too early to tell.  Coming back form a single level discectomy is possible Peyton Manning or Ahmad Bradshaw for a couple...).  But it is also possible to derail or end a career. Delano Howell anyone?  Timetables are guesswork at this point not a certainty.  Could be 3-4 months... or... 

19 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

We knew you well friend 

If it was any of us, or our loved ones, I think we all know how we would lean on this subject.

But since it is our beloved football player, I hope he recovers and is able to play.  We kinda need him.

God, I felt dirty typing that...  Godspeed Clayton.  I wouldn't blame you for finding a desk job that pays the bills.

:facepalm:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-colts-s-geathers-still-recovering-from-surgery/

Geathers’ 90.3 run-defense grade was tied with Harrison Smith for sixth-best in the NFL last season.

The second-year safety’s 9.1 run-stop percentage in 2016 was best on the Colts and sixth-best in the NFL.

The Colts’ in the box safety only started Weeks 2-11, but he led the league in tackles by a player to play less than 600 snaps with 53.

Geathers also had the fourth-most stops, the cumulative number of solo defensive tackles made which constitute an offensive failure, during that span.

Yes, Bob Sanders-esque,... But we all hope/pray that this neck surgery and rehab goes without a hitch.  Not just for the teams benefit, but for his own personal life.

9 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm no doctor but it sure doesn't sound good to me.

Exactly.  That is why nobody on here should be making ignorant statements like "sounds to be a possible career ending injury" when they have no knowledge whatsoever of the situation and no mention of it being career ending has been made yet by anyone involved.

9 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Neck injuries are NOT to be taken lightly at all. The specific surgery they are referring to has a time table recovery of 3-6 months. Not to mention he may not be able to FULLY recover to 100 % after the surgery. Ultimately he may or may not choose to return to football, so it could very well be career ending.

This is the case with any injury.

32 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Exactly.  That is why nobody on here should be making ignorant statements like "sounds to be a possible career ending injury" when they have no knowledge whatsoever of the situation and no mention of it being career ending has been made yet by anyone involved.

People make claims on here all the time... No need to get your emotions all up in a twist. It definitely can be a career ending injury compared to the sore foot Quincy Wilson has.. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-colts-s-geathers-still-recovering-from-surgery/

Geathers’ 90.3 run-defense grade was tied with Harrison Smith for sixth-best in the NFL last season.

The second-year safety’s 9.1 run-stop percentage in 2016 was best on the Colts and sixth-best in the NFL.

The Colts’ in the box safety only started Weeks 2-11, but he led the league in tackles by a player to play less than 600 snaps with 53.

Geathers also had the fourth-most stops, the cumulative number of solo defensive tackles made which constitute an offensive failure, during that span.

Yes, Bob Sanders-esque,... But we all hope/pray that this neck surgery and rehab goes without a hitch.  Not just for the teams benefit, but for his own personal life.

Funny, how that list still has Antoine Bethea, who keeps doing his job just fine. Landry for Bethea should have never happened. :(

9 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If it was any of us, or our loved ones, I think we all know how we would lean on this subject.

But since it is our beloved football player, I hope he recovers and is able to play.  We kinda need him.

God, I felt dirty typing that...  Godspeed Clayton.  I wouldn't blame you for finding a desk job that pays the bills.

:facepalm:

We as sports fans are totally inhumane.  If your child breaks there leg you will not be rushing them back so they can take part in P.E.  But that's what we expect out of our athletes.

Geathers may be done.  Hope he is compensated for the time he put in and the stress he put his body through.  That's all I can hope for.  Honestly if he was someone I knew I would advise him to walk away.  Neck fusion surgery at 24 due to your occupation seems like a perfect time to find a new occupation.  I'm just saying.......

Guys this does not mean he's done. He could be back by week 1, or he may miss the first 8 games. We DO NOT know yet. But everyone that's saying, or thinking he's done. Cant make that comment yet. He seems like the bad * type. So I think he'll want to come back pretty much no matter what.

3 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Im very familiar with neck injuries and the fact that the article says that he had to have a single level cervical fusion as a LAST RESORT points to it not being a good thing for him. This is a forum where individuals are entitled to state their OWN opinions and facts for that matter. Just because no one mentioned it being a career ending injury doesn't mean that is not a plausible possibility, ESPECIALLY given the nature of this specific injury. Educate yourself my comment was far from ignorant. 

3 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

This is the case with any injury.

No one is going to walk away from a game they love over a sprained ankle or a stinger. Once again it is you that sounds ignorant. First and foremost he is a PERSON a HUMAN BEING, he still has a future ahead of him to take into consideration. Take your own feelings out of the situation, if he decides to walk away from the game for the greater good of his health i applaud him for that.

Clayton, himself, said it was a serious injury.  His comments don't sound like a player who wants to rush back to playing.  He wants to be 100%.  I would expect the Colts would be planing on an extensive absence so it's going to be interesting to see if they bring in another player right away or let Green carry the load at first and see how he does.  I am actually pretty confident in Green making a second year leap and doing pretty well.  He needs to be able to focus on the one position and receive the majority of reps.  If that happens we could be pleasantly surprised.  I like his physical measurable's better that Clayton's too. He's another great athlete that needs to find a position. This could be another case of a player being able to take advantage of another teammates misfortune. 

19 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Any neck injury, especially one which requires surgery is extremely serious.  Especially for a guy in his position -- a QB like Peyton doesn't have to take as much extreme force to his head/neck region as an 'in-the-box safety' who is tackling people all the time.

Assuming he can come back, he's just one step/hit closer to reinjury.  At the age of 24 (or any age), neck injuries are nothing to play around with.  He's got to have some serious discussion with his family and doctors as things progress.  The peace-of-mind to know you'll be able to walk comfortably for a long time after your career may outweigh the

8 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Nobody claimed it 'was a career ending injury.'  Many have expressed concern that it may be, which is totally legitimate.  For a hard hitting, nose on the ball, guy as young as Geathers, a neck injury is a very serious thing.  He may have to change the entire way he plays the game if he wants to come back and have a long career.

57 minutes ago, a06cc said:

He'll for sure miss 6 weeks if I'm to take a guess. So Tj Green at SS I can deal with it. He'll have help over the top with Hooker.

Problem is, Hooker is coming off injury and we don't know he'll (1) be able to hold up a 16 game season, and (2) adjust to the NFL and play at a high-level as a rookie.

I would sort of be happy to see us bring in a veteran safety on a one year deal as we still have questions about Geathers' health, Green's development, Hooker (in general, between health and NFL level), and Butler as a true safety along side any of these guys.

Lardarius Webb, Corey Graham, Jairus Byrd, Rashad Johnson, Will Hill (pending suspension), Donte Whitner, and Duke Ihenacho are all guys still available who I wouldn't mind us at least bringing to camp on a short-term deal.  

We're already thin at CB and now it's looking like we may have some depth issues at S.  And the season hasn't even started.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Any neck injury, especially one which requires surgery is extremely serious.  Especially for a guy in his position -- a QB like Peyton doesn't have to take as much extreme force to his head/neck region as an 'in-the-box safety' who is tackling people all the time.

Assuming he can come back, he's just one step/hit closer to reinjury.  At the age of 24 (or any age), neck injuries are nothing to play around with.  He's got to have some serious discussion with his family and doctors as things progress.  The peace-of-mind to know you'll be able to walk comfortably for a long time after your career may outweigh the

Nobody claimed it 'was a career ending injury.'  Many have expressed concern that it may be, which is totally legitimate.  For a hard hitting, nose on the ball, guy as young as Geathers, a neck injury is a very serious thing.  He may have to change the entire way he plays the game if he wants to come back and have a long career.

Problem is, Hooker is coming off injury and we don't know he'll (1) be able to hold up a 16 game season, and (2) adjust to the NFL and play at a high-level as a rookie.

I would sort of be happy to see us bring in a veteran safety on a one year deal as we still have questions about Geathers' health, Green's development, Hooker (in general, between health and NFL level), and Butler as a true safety along side any of these guys.

Lardarius Webb, Corey Graham, Jairus Byrd, Rashad Johnson, Will Hill (pending suspension), Donte Whitner, and Duke Ihenacho are all guys still available who I wouldn't mind us at least bringing to camp on a short-term deal.  

We're already thin at CB and now it's looking like we may have some depth issues at S.  And the season hasn't even started.

Who knows what Ballard may do. However if it's TJ at strong safety or Darius Butler playing free safety. I'd be fine with what this team fields. Success starts up front so if we finally have a pass rush we'll be fine until guys get healthy. 

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

Who knows what Ballard may do. However if it's TJ at strong safety or Darius Butler playing free safety. I'd be fine with what this team fields. Success starts up front so if we finally have a pass rush we'll be fine until guys get healthy. 

I'll believe we have a pass rush when I see it.  I don't think it could be much worse than last year.... but that doesn't leave me very optimistic.

11 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I'll believe we have a pass rush when I see it.  I don't think it could be much worse than last year.... but that doesn't leave me very optimistic.

Same here that's why I said the word "if"

2 hours ago, deedub75 said:

He's done.  A cervical fusion doesn't go well with his hard hitting style of play.  If he does manage to come back, it will probably be short-lived.  

There's some history in the league with this injury, and the return rate is somewhat encouraging. I assume his timetable to return is beyond training camp and likely will go into the regular season a bit, but it's not all doom and gloom.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161004111655.htm

On 5/25/2017 at 9:42 AM, deedub75 said:

He's done.  A cervical fusion doesn't go well with his hard hitting style of play.  If he does manage to come back, it will probably be short-lived.  

I thought it said it MIGHT be a cervical fushion. And that is only one way to deal with the problem surgically. Does any one know exactly what was done and are there any doctors out there that might shed some light on this?