Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Dalton Crossan be a more successful Tyler Varga?

ColtsBlitz

Here's some highlights of Crossan just in case you haven't already seen them. Personally, I think Crossan makes the roster or at least the practice squad. He has some elusiveness to go with decent speed and power running, similar to Varga. If he can just get better as the year goes on, (assuming he stays with us) next year I see him as our 3rd back behind Turbin and Mack since I feel Gore will be let go. Thoughts on Crossan?

Edit: Also, if Crossan does make it, I think Ferguson would be let go. Not unreasonable since Mack is basically a better version of him. 

Short strider, cuts well, sets up blocks, has some speed and shift to him.

I like him. Wouldn't count on him making the roster though with Gore, Mack & Turbin (at least) in front of him. Practice squad possibly. Roll on preseason.

15 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Here's some highlights of Crossan just in case you haven't already seen them. Personally, I think Crossan makes the roster or at least the practice squad. He has some elusiveness to go with decent speed and power running, similar to Varga. If he can just get better as the year goes on, (assuming he stays with us) next year I see him as our 3rd back behind Turbin and Mack since I feel Gore will be let go. Thoughts on Crossan?

Edit: Also, if Crossan does make it, I think Ferguson would be let go. Not unreasonable since Mack is basically a better version of him. 

Gore isn't getting let go.

honestly it would be upset for anyone from our top three in the backfield to make the roster.

54 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

This year unless I'm mistaken is the last year of Gore's contract.

Let's be clear about something....

Frank Gore makes 3.5 Mill this year.     But he's got zero guaranteed money and his dead cap number is........

Zero.    

So, it would cost the Colts nothing to cut Gore any day....     they can cut him whenever they want and there's no financial impact on the team.      Frank Gore is not on the team because we're stuck with a bad contract.   Quite the opposite.     He's on the team because he's still a very good player.

Here is Gore's Spotrac page....

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/frank-gore-3338/

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

This is Gore's last season. The RB stable should be Gore, Turbin,

Mack and Crossan on the practice squad while Ferguson getting cut.

A fourth round pick doesn't go too the practice squad haha

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

If Quan Bray returns, then he does. 

If Bray isn't the 6th best WR, then I don't think he owns anything.  He's not that special as a KR and Chester was better at PR.

I'm curious to see the little guy from Akron return kicks.  

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let's be clear about something....

Frank Gore makes 3.5 Mill this year.     But he's got zero guaranteed money and his dead cap number is........

Zero.    

So, it would cost the Colts nothing to cut Gore any day....     they can cut him whenever they want and there's no financial impact on the team.      Frank Gore is not on the team because we're stuck with a bad contract.   Quite the opposite.     He's on the team because he's still a very good player.

Here is Gore's Spotrac page....

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/frank-gore-3338/

This and some more of this...

Veteran players like Gore get cut all the time for a variety of reasons.  Here is a list of why he COULD be cut.

1) Mother nature is undefeated and he is old.  There will come time, and it may be this year, when he has lost more than just a step.

2) It cost nothing to cut him - no dead cap

3) They have an expressed interest in getting younger (faster) - that is not a description of Gore right now.

4) The Colts have shown an interest in saving money

I have no idea if he gets cut or not.  Just saying that there are a few who seem like it is an impossibility and I think it is anything but.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

too bad theres no room for toddman

better kick returner than bray

I thought maybe I was alone in wanting to keep Toddman. He's bigger (maybe more durable) and at least as fast as Bray. ......I'll be rooting for Crossan to supplant Ferguson.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

This and some more of this...

Veteran players like Gore get cut all the time for a variety of reasons.  Here is a list of why he COULD be cut.

I have no idea if he gets cut or not.  Just saying that there are a few who seem like it is an impossibility and I think it is anything but.

I don't think he's getting cut this year. Ballard says he likes what Gore brings to the locker room and he is someone that can help teach the younger backs we have. When Gore leaves, I'll really miss him. I love his character and his love for the game. Also a very respectful player. Someone the young guys in the locker room can look up to. 

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I don't think he's getting cut this year. Ballard says he likes what Gore brings to the locker room and he is someone that can help teach the younger backs we have. When Gore leaves, I'll really miss him. I love his character and his love for the game. Also a very respectful player. Someone the young guys in the locker room can look up to. 

Agree he is someone respected in the locker room, but if they get to training camp and he hits the hole like my 100 year-old grandma, then they will cut him.

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

Agree he is someone respected in the locker room, but if they get to training camp and he hits the hole like my 100 year-old grandma, then they will cut him.

I highly doubt he would randomly have a massive fall off as you are eluding too. A consistent great pro who was able to produce last year and you are disgracing him... not sure he earned that!  

2 hours ago, egg said:

I thought maybe I was alone in wanting to keep Toddman. He's bigger (maybe more durable) and at least as fast as Bray. ......I'll be rooting for Crossan to supplant Ferguson.

i think toddmans problem is that he is a running back and 4th string backs pretty much never make it on the field outside of special teams

at one point bray was our 4th or 5th wide receiver and he did make it into the game on certain passing downs

38 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I highly doubt he would randomly have a massive fall off as you are eluding too. A consistent great pro who was able to produce last year and you are disgracing him... not sure he earned that!  

For the love of all that is holy...

Can you please enlighten me on how I am disgracing him?  

It is a physical game and he plays among the more physical positions in the league.  Massive fall offs happen every year to guys much younger than him.  

Not projecting or even wishing for it to happen.  Just simply pointed out there are a few reasons why he could get cut.

8 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

For the love of all that is holy...

Can you please enlighten me on how I am disgracing him?  

It is a physical game and he plays among the more physical positions in the league.  Massive fall offs happen every year to guys much younger than him.  

Not projecting or even wishing for it to happen.  Just simply pointed out there are a few reasons why he could get cut.

How are you disgracing him...read the bolded!  

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Think you are getting your Grandma mixed up with Trent Richardson, Mr Skinner.