Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It is but both are opting out...the money they can sign even if they did a one year deal would be way way more than staying....that is a certainty. Once they opt out anyone can sign them...so that opens up that can of worms. You might be right Mark....might.

I just think we have locked ourselves into a thought world of four or five year max deals.

What if Pritchard says to Paul..

.."I'm tearing up your contract and giving you a new, three year deal at the max ($25 mil) with an opt out after 2...

PG turns that down for a 4-year less money deal with the last place Lakers?

I'm going to have to see that to believe it.

Everything comes down to this for me. Love PG game. No matter what you aren't getting equal value if you move him..fact. But what realistically can you do that can improve this team to beat Cleveland. Remember we have crap contracts with Monta and Al Jefferson weighting is down. Your starting pg needs resigned to big deal...your best sg needs resigned to likelu pretty nice deal just to hold pat. That leaves little money if no money to upgrade. Turner will get better no doubt...but everyone else is either getting older or big question marks. Also remember that Simon will not let us go over the cap. We don't operate like Cleveland etc where owner will go all in...he just won't. He might go slightly but nothing significant to bring in big talent...so what is your solution to give PG the type of team he would want to stay with? Lakers might not be great now but if they have Ball, Russell, Ingram, Clarkson, Randle, Mozgoff, Nance in a year that might not look as bad as it does now...plus LA have money to pay other free sgents maybe dare say a Westbrook? I just think if you see you can't land something big this offseason you have to get the most for Paul and go young and rebuild and hope you hit it big with one or two pieces to go with Turner and make a run at Lebron in a few years.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I just think we have locked ourselves into a thought world of four or five year max deals.

What if Pritchard says to Paul..

.."I'm tearing up your contract and giving you a new, three year deal at the max ($25 mil) with an opt out after 2...

PG turns that down for a 4-year less money deal with the last place Lakers?

I'm going to have to see that to believe it.

Saw it with KD who had a better team than Paul has now. Don't be shocked to see it in a year.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Everything comes down to this for me. Love PG game. No matter what you aren't getting equal value if you move him..fact. But what realistically can you do that can improve this team to beat Cleveland. Remember we have crap contracts with Monta and Al Jefferson weighting is down. Your starting pg needs resigned to big deal...your best sg needs resigned to likelu pretty nice deal just to hold pat. That leaves little money if no money to upgrade. Turner will get better no doubt...but everyone else is either getting older or big question marks. Also remember that Simon will not let us go over the cap. We don't operate like Cleveland etc where owner will go all in...he just won't. He might go slightly but nothing significant to bring in big talent...so what is your solution to give PG the type of team he would want to stay with? Lakers might not be great now but if they have Ball, Russell, Ingram, Clarkson, Randle, Mozgoff, Nance in a year that might not look as bad as it does now...plus LA have money to pay other free sgents maybe dare say a Westbrook? I just think if you see you can't land something big this offseason you have to get the most for Paul and go young and rebuild and hope you hit it big with one or two pieces to go with Turner and make a run at Lebron in a few years.

Why do we assume that all the young 20 somethings for the Lakers (or ANY of them) will turn 'maybe' into a winning team....

We cant predict that future. WE also cant predict what Mr. Simon says (no pun intended) when a new voice asks him to

We dont need a world of cap space because Paul George is under contract for next year. We sign Jeff Teague..

JJ Reddick is EXACTLY what we need on the perimeter.

WE trade for a center..maybe Al Jefferson and Monta...for Robin Lopez.

That's not an even trade but remember you have to match salaries. the Nest could pay off Big Al or Monta and release him/ them. They want to clear their books...

We draft another shooter and we go for it...

....I don't want to rebuild because we have a young core right now.

Even if we drafted a player better than Paul George in 2 years we would still have to add a top free agent in 3 years..

..because that new guy's contract would be up....so we'd be talking about rebuilding again in 2021, right? 

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Saw it with KD who had a better team than Paul has now. Don't be shocked to see it in a year.

Durant did that to go to Golden State...a 73-win team.

Paul would have to take less money to go to a 25 - win team.

Not the same thing, right?

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Everything comes down to this for me. Love PG game. No matter what you aren't getting equal value if you move him..fact. But what realistically can you do that can improve this team to beat Cleveland.

..and I say again that you cant operate a franchise beginning with the premise.

.that 'whatever' what ever we do,...we're going to lose.

You have to see how negative that is.

I would be real careful if the option is trading PG. I think most people would agree he is a Top 15 player in the league and a SuperStar. He is a guy that has a very good resume and has given LeBron fits over the years. Guys like PG don't come around very often. A lot of guys that get drafted high and have a lot of hype behind them don't even pan out. I am not sure I would deal with the Lakers now since Magic is on record saying they wont trade Ingram. Ingram to me is the player they have that has the highest potential. I am not a fan of Russell. If I am trading PG to them, Ingram has to be in the deal and the #2 pick as well. I would take Fox at #2 over Ball as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Why do we assume that all the young 20 somethings for the Lakers (or ANY of them) will turn 'maybe' into a winning team....

We cant predict that future. WE also cant predict what Mr. Simon says (no pun intended) when a new voice asks him to

We dont need a world of cap space because Paul George is under contract for next year. We sign Jeff Teague..

JJ Reddick is EXACTLY what we need on the perimeter.

WE trade for a center..maybe Al Jefferson and Monta...for Robin Lopez.

That's not an even trade but remember you have to match salaries. the Nest could pay off Big Al or Monta and release him/ them. They want to clear their books...

We draft another shooter and we go for it...

....I don't want to rebuild because we have a young core right now.

Even if we drafted a player better than Paul George in 2 years we would still have to add a top free agent in 3 years..

..because that new guy's contract would be up....so we'd be talking about rebuilding again in 2021, right? 

We don't have a young core Mark. Turner is the only young piece that we have any certainty about. PG is in his prime. Teague is about to leave his prime. Lance is energy guy off the bench but nothing special. What core are you talking about. Monta is ancient as is Jefferson. CJ is exiting his prime too and a FA. Young is nothing special. I just don't see this young team you speak of. No team is going to give you their most movable best asset to take on two over the hill awful players with awful contracts. Minimum you have to give them that 18 pick to take one of those guys off our hands. You can't afford Lopez and Reddick and resign Teague. You can't Mark. You are way over the cap and even then that isn't a team that beats Boston or Cleveland. We just don't see eye to eye and never will on this team. It's AWFUL...years of horrible moves got us in this predicament...one offseason won't fix it. I don't see Paul wanting to play on this team moving forward. Bird made horrible free agent acquisitions. When he drafted he drafted well...just wish he would have trusted the process of building through draft but he was impatient...and loved vets...sorry he was a horrible GM. I think Paul also saw how he treated Granger as well and doesn't trust our front office. He isn't going to stick around just to see himself get shipped off when he gets older like he meant nothing. 

I hate this team...it's not entertaining it is poorly coached...it has no direction or plan. It just isn't a good team. Paul carries us and he is tired and I don't blame him. I'm praying Pritchard infuses a new direction for us and puts together a young exciting playing team. If he lands a marricle great but I see us rebuilding because the risk of PG leaving for nothing would put this team in last place in the East for the next decade probably.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

..and I say again that you cant operate a franchise beginning with the premise.

.that 'whatever' what ever we do,...we're going to lose.

You have to see how negative that is.

Yes u can...most teams do this....that's why you see like only two o three teams capable of winning it all. We might go all in...but it's going to leave us with no championship no pg and a non competitive team for at least the next 5 years. Im a realist Mark....that said when you put such a horrible team around a top 5 talent in the league and can BARELY get into the playoffs in the East do you honestly think we can turn this roster in one offseason into a championship caliber team. I'm sorry I don't see it. We don't want the Colts to operate like it's win now with Luck why the Pacers? Both were in about the same shape...old crappy roster held up by a star....well we put a plan to build the Colts...we didn't give up our draft picks to trade for win now vets like Sherman Richardson etc. We can't fix the Colts in an offseason and I'm sure the goal for the Colts isn't to beat NE next year. It's to win their division. Just like we can't fix the Pacers after years of horrible management in one offseason too. It's not pestimistic to realize your organization is not as good as perhaps the best in the league. Team trust their process of getting better. They don't all try to go all in every year. If we weren't such a wreck I'd be with you Mark but we are in terrible shape. Bird left us in a mess...he knew it and bailed. He went all in with those teams we had against the Heat and for good reason we had a shot....we are far worse than those Pacer teams now...now the chickens have come home to roost. Time to pay the piper...and that is make the tough unfortunate Choice of trading Paul and rebuilding or going all in one more year and likelu risk losing him for nothing. I know what my choice would be if I saw my FA plan of swinging for the moon of landing Hayward and a bruiser Pf and resigning Teague won't work out....I'd make the best trade I can then. Not petimistic just realistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

Holy crap D'Aaron Fox with Malik Monk's shot would be an unstoppable basketball player. That's his biggest weakness. He develops a shot, oh baby he's gonna show out

When Fox develops a jump shot he will be almost unstoppable. Cause he can get to the rim any time he wants too. 

Its basically the same situation as Wall. Wall wasn't known as a great shooter either, but hes gotten better at it and look at the year he just had. Flat out beast.

I'm a Kentucky fan and watched em both. Fox is even better than Wall was coming out of college. But their games are very similar, only real difference is Wall is a few inches taller, but Fox has freak athleticism like Wall so he makes up for it. Fox is a pretty solid defensive player, too. Fox will make some NBA team very happy, would be thrilled if it were us.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be real careful if the option is trading PG. I think most people would agree he is a Top 15 player in the league and a SuperStar. He is a guy that has a very good resume and has given LeBron fits over the years. Guys like PG don't come around very often. A lot of guys that get drafted high and have a lot of hype behind them don't even pan out. I am not sure I would deal with the Lakers now since Magic is on record saying they wont trade Ingram. Ingram to me is the player they have that has the highest potential. I am not a fan of Russell. If I am trading PG to them, Ingram has to be in the deal and the #2 pick as well. I would take Fox at #2 over Ball as well.

Yep very careful. Worse than letting PG go is trading for crap guys with crap contracts. To me conversations have to include what your suggesting. You have to sell LA on that you can trade PG to Boston where he might resign because they are close to a championship with him....and Boston that they can't win it all with young guys who are a few years away from knowing what you have. I think at worse you end up with #2, Randle, and Clarkson from LA...best you get Ingram and #2...but you have to land quality. Boston I think worse case you land montage of picks including next years Nets number one and all those other draft picks they have coming to them as well and probably Avery Bradley. Best case is #1, Brown, and Bradley. I'm not for just giving PG away but if Atlanta and Denver was willing to give up so much last trade deadline I'd listen to them too. Right now Boston and LA are trying to play hard ball and push PGs value down. We can't let them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

When Fox develops a jump shot he will be almost unstoppable. Cause he can get to the rim any time he wants too. 

Its basically the same situation as Wall. Wall wasn't known as a great shooter either, but hes gotten better at it and look at the year he just had. Flat out beast.

I'm a Kentucky fan and watched em both. Fox is even better than Wall was coming out of college. But their games are very similar, only real difference is Wall is a few inches taller, but Fox has freak athleticism like Wall so he makes up for it. Fox is a pretty solid defensive player, too. Fox will make some NBA team very happy, would be thrilled if it were us.

Yep I would be happy if we got a top 2 pick then moved back a couple spots and traded for him and another pick or assets. I like him too. Can't keep him in front of you and I think he can get to the rim and also shoot a little floater in the lane...develops a 3 later on in a few years...wow. I hate U.K. but he has huge ceiling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

as it is not for Paul George..the Lakers are much worse off than the Pacers.

Understand that all deals aren't for 4 years, too...they all have opt-outs now

PG could take a max deal from us for 2 years...and revisit his longing for 'home' when he's 29

Idk where you get the Lakers are worse off sure they are right now but do you not realize how easy it is to build a super team in LA? Magic is in charge they will be a FA hotspot from now on PG knows this he isn't stupid. You know wjo wants to build a super team in Indy that's right NO ONE 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yep very careful. Worse than letting PG go is trading for crap guys with crap contracts. To me conversations have to include what your suggesting. You have to sell LA on that you can trade PG to Boston where he might resign because they are close to a championship with him....and Boston that they can't win it all with young guys who are a few years away from knowing what you have. I think at worse you end up with #2, Randle, and Clarkson from LA...best you get Ingram and #2...but you have to land quality. Boston I think worse case you land montage of picks including next years Nets number one and all those other draft picks they have coming to them as well and probably Avery Bradley. Best case is #1, Brown, and Bradley. I'm not for just giving PG away but if Atlanta and Denver was willing to give up so much last trade deadline I'd listen to them too. Right now Boston and LA are trying to play hard ball and push PGs value down. We can't let them.

Damn you are gonna take all my likes on this thread lol we think the exact same about this team!! If we could some home get Bradley Brown and #1 is be happy take Fultz with it that's a good core to grow together. Idk if it's possible to maybe get the #1 and the nets pick next year that would be great lol 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 8:21 PM, dgambill said:

No doubt it'll be tough to beat a team to take the Cavs down...but the Pacers have got to find a way to improve. This year we went backwards.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Damn you are gonna take all my likes on this thread lol we think the exact same about this team!! If we could some home get Bradley Brown and #1 is be happy take Fultz with it that's a good core to grow together. Idk if it's possible to maybe get the #1 and the nets pick next year that would be great lol 

Don't think Boston would do that. I'd rather have both picks too but they will be wanting to keep the young players and open up cap space so they would likely want to move guys they won't re-sign like Avery Bradley and company. I actually think they might want to move Isaiah because he would be due a big contract in a year or whatever and he has the hip injury. Hard to tell if you take a point guard in Fultz and you have Smart already and Rozier....that's a lot of point guards to have. If we got just both picks or also a throw in we would be looking at a true rebuild. We would see us tanking next year and having possibly two top 10 picks to pair with the #1 from this year and Turner. That would be pretty good way to rebuild. That way you just have to sign perhaps one or two free agents with the cap space you free up from losing PG, Teague, CJ, Monta, and AL and you should have a very competitive team. I think Turner is going to be an all-star caliber player. Just have to hit on a couple draft picks and then add a nice free agent or two and you should be able to compete in the East. There is no replacing PG...but if you see that you can't improve the team around him for the long term...you get the best deal you can or you risk your star just walking out on you leaving you with nothing to rebuild with.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 6:30 PM, oldunclemark said:

Cant judge this team on the 'entire NBA era'...its just not relevant

Dont you want to be relatively close....?

i just disagree that we are close now

close to what?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

If we are close to anything, its close to not being a playoff team. We almost weren't this year.

Yep. We are going backwards and PG saw that and wants out. This teams has big contracts wrapped up in two aging guys Al and Monta and they are awful for this team. By the time you re-sign Teague to his new more expensive contract and depending on what you do with CJ who will be up for a bigger contract you really don't have much room to add anyone....even a shooter like Riddick might not be affordable. Its almost impossible to compete with the Cavs who are like 30 million over the cap when you have an owner like Simon and when you have to over-pay mediocre talent just to come play with you. I do think this team under-achieved but I'm not going to pretend its even close to contending. We are a long ways off from that and I'm sure PG realizes that....and its going to be very tough to convince him we can help him win it all and we will finally pair him with another superstar when we bring in Monta Ellis and say there you go Paul...there's your star upgrade...go compete. I'm sure he believes if he is in LA it will be easier to convince free agents to come sign and win something with him....after all...nowadays it takes 3 or 4 stars to compete with the Cavs and Warriors.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, dgambill said:

Yes u can...most teams do this....that's why you see like only two o three teams capable of winning it all. We might go all in...but it's going to leave us with no championship no pg and a non competitive team for at least the next 5 years. Im a realist Mark....that said when you put such a horrible team around a top 5 talent in the league and can BARELY get into the playoffs in the East do you honestly think we can turn this roster in one offseason into a championship caliber team. I'm sorry I don't see it. We don't want the Colts to operate like it's win now with Luck why the Pacers? Both were in about the same shape...old crappy roster held up by a star....well we put a plan to build the Colts...we didn't give up our draft picks to trade for win now vets like Sherman Richardson etc. We can't fix the Colts in an offseason and I'm sure the goal for the Colts isn't to beat NE next year. It's to win their division. Just like we can't fix the Pacers after years of horrible management in one offseason too. It's not pestimistic to realize your organization is not as good as perhaps the best in the league. Team trust their process of getting better. They don't all try to go all in every year. If we weren't such a wreck I'd be with you Mark but we are in terrible shape. Bird left us in a mess...he knew it and bailed. He went all in with those teams we had against the Heat and for good reason we had a shot....we are far worse than those Pacer teams now...now the chickens have come home to roost. Time to pay the piper...and that is make the tough unfortunate Choice of trading Paul and rebuilding or going all in one more year and likelu risk losing him for nothing. I know what my choice would be if I saw my FA plan of swinging for the moon of landing Hayward and a bruiser Pf and resigning Teague won't work out....I'd make the best trade I can then. Not petimistic just realistic.

dg....

Nobody ashcans their team and starts over in the NBA...not successfully..

There is no valid comparison between the Colts and the Pacers

You cannot build through the draft in pro basketball..

Let me remind you that no players drafted last year made a major impact in the NBA,.

None.

You have to acquire free agents in the NBA...you cant just say 'we cant'.....

'Making the best trade you can' is giving up, in my opinion....I wont give up and neither will management/

If we're dealing in the real world, we have a young core...

PG is 27, Lance is 26, Myles Turner is 21...

trading PG and trying to build another 'young core'....is just kicking the can down the road

Forget a plan to be average in 3 years.

If we add a 3-shooter, sign Jeff Teague (only 29 by the way) and win 50 next year (and we won 42 without Lance) Paul George signs a new deal for a couple more years and we contend in the East.

I'd rather go that way that effectively trade Paul George for ANYONE in this draft

Lets live for today

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

If we are close to anything, its close to not being a playoff team. We almost weren't this year.

Stop yourself......we didn't have Lance...Thad Young played with a bad hand all year

...and we still made the playoffs

..you dont add to your team by trading your best player. Makes no sense to me.

I'm only concerned with 2017-2018..nobody can predict the future beyond that

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

That's obviously not as good a core as we have now.     Like Trix. Picks are for kids.

7 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

No doubt it'll be tough to beat a team to take the Cavs down...but the Pacers have got to find a way to improve. This year we went backwards.

When we got Lance, we went forward..

What if we acquire Otto Porter...the Wizards free agent wing shooting forward.....or JJ Reddick.

Both are unrestricted free agents

We did not stand still last year....I liked the acquisitions of Jeff Teague and Thad Young

I don't see how anyone wouldnt

We LOVE players who have to played an NBA game yet because they've never done anything wrong.

Does everybody understand that rookies always look like quality until they get on the floor.?

We lust after good looking college freshman  like it was a Ball State frat party.

I'm for acquiring veteran players with proven track records. Quality players like Teague and Young.

They didn't disappoint me at all.

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's obviously not as good a core as we have now.     Like Trix. Picks are for kids.

Yes Mark we all know what your stupid outlook for the team is. You are content with sucking @** for the next 5 years when PG leaves for absolutely nothing. We won't win % next season and he will leave after then we will be awful for god knows how long 

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

We LOVE players who have to played an NBA game yet because they've never done anything wrong.

Does everybody understand that rookies always look like quality until they get on the floor.?

We lust after good looking college freshman  like it was a Ball State frat party.

I'm for acquiring veteran players with proven track records. Quality players like Teague and Young.

They didn't disappoint me at all.

I'm gonna tell you this crazy secret Mark. Did you know that even the great LeBron James was a rookie at one point? So was PG and MJ and every single superstar in the history of the NBA I know it's really hard to believe but it's true. I know I just blew your mind 

If the Pacers want ANY chance of keeping PG, they have to get Gordon Hayward. It's the only way. He would be a great complement to PG. Those two with Teague, Myles, Thad and Lance could compete in the East. Any other scenario and PG is gone without a doubt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

If the Pacers want ANY chance of keeping PG, they have to get Gordon Hayward. It's the only way. He would be a great complement to PG. Those two with Teague, Myles, Thad and Lance could compete in the East. Any other scenario and PG is gone without a doubt

Would love to see him in a Pacers uni.

• Like 2

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Maybe or stays in Utah we have a lot of bad contracts and can't afford him unless he plays here for pennies and there is a 0% chance of that happening 

I didn't think there was a chance he would stay with the Jazz until they won their first round series. It may not seem like much but that shows improvement by the rest of his team. I still think he leaves though. I think it'll come down to Celtics and Pacers. Celtics might have the best pitch. They can say he's the piece to get them past the Cavs. They draft #1 overall and take Markelle Fultz and then get Gordon Hayward. I think Hayward fits in with that team a little better than Jimmy Butler. And as an added bonus, he played for Brad Stevens in college. Lots of things point towards the Celtics. However, the chance of playing with PG and in your home state has to be alluring. It's not a slam dunk that he would sign with the Pacers, but he'll talk to them

3 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I didn't think there was a chance he would stay with the Jazz until they won their first round series. It may not seem like much but that shows improvement by the rest of his team. I still think he leaves though. I think it'll come down to Celtics and Pacers. Celtics might have the best pitch. They can say he's the piece to get them past the Cavs. They draft #1 overall and take Markelle Fultz and then get Gordon Hayward. I think Hayward fits in with that team a little better than Jimmy Butler. And as an added bonus, he played for Brad Stevens in college. Lots of things point towards the Celtics. However, the chance of playing with PG and in your home state has to be alluring. It's not a slam dunk that he would sign with the Pacers, but he'll talk to them

I'm sure he knows PG wants to leave so he would have no reason to want to come here plus we can't pay what he will get cause of stupid contacts to bad players 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm sure he knows PG wants to leave so he would have no reason to want to come here plus we can't pay what he will get cause of stupid contacts to bad players 

We'll see. Maybe Kevin Pritchard has an ace up his sleeve

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm gonna tell you this crazy secret Mark. Did you know that even the great LeBron James was a rookie at one point? 

3 truths:\

1.) The Cleveland Cavaliers acquired LeBron James through free agency.

2.) The Cavs did not build the team they have through the draft. Kevin Love came in a trade.

Most of the present Cavs were free agents

3.) There's no LeBron or Michael in this year's draft, as I know you know

You have to accept that you only get 2 draft picks these days .....and acquire players through free agency.

That's how it works.

To quit on free agency and say 'we cant get anybody good'  'we cant' .'we cant'....is one way to go.

Fans can quit. They have that right.

Franchises cant..and don't.

any other scenario including a 50, 55-win season next year?

I think it's very possible. If Pritchard has any knowledge of basketball whatsoever, he'll call Hayward at 12:01 the morning of FA

I'm sure the contact has already been made..

.....Just like we knew Jeff Teague wanted to play here long before we traded for him