Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

I think the Paul George situation is the most interesting with this team.   Tough choices and lots of factors.  

Will he sign an extension before the end of next year?

- I don't think he will because of the extra $$ if he can make the all NBA teams.  

That adds to the risk.   Will the Pacers risk losing him for nothing in return in order to have him next year?

- I bet he has a great 2017-2018 season with so much money on the line.

How much leverage have the Pacers lost by not trading him last season?

- I don't think Atlanta would be offering 4 1st round picks for him anymore

8 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We have no idea if Hayward wants to play SG I doubt he does and PG sure don't want to so they won't fit together 

I think the difference between SG and SF is very small in todays NBA.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think the difference between SG and SF is very small in todays NBA.  

Idk PG sure didn't want to play SG 

I also don't even think Hayward is attracted to here sure it's home but I doubt it when we are a small market and he prolly knows PG is debating leaving 

• Like 1

i agree that it seems likely he will be back next year.

we will probably get trade offers, but the team will want equal compensation and that wont happen for a guy with one year on his contract

its hard to see how we build a team that can challenge the cavs, because we need so much and have very limited resources to work with

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I have no idea I usually don't give a damn about the draft unless we have a lottery pick lol 

And that isn't common.

How many times has there been a NBA champion without a top 5 player (drafted) on their team?

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

And that isn't common.

How many times has there been a NBA champion without a top 5 player (drafted) on their team?

It's rare but believe it or not Kobe Bryant didn't get drafted until 13th by the Hornets/then traded to the Lakers. Without Shaq he was the leader of 2 Championships in 2009 and 2010. Usually though if a LeBron or Duncan is there at #1 and a team gets them, then you just hit the lottery.

• Like 1

With the current roster make up and the cap restrictions for this team there is really no way to make this team a championship caliber team. PG/Hayward do play the same position so that would make it difficult to put them on the same team. Somebody has to chase guards around all game and I don't think either would benefit from that for an 82 game season. The most likely scenario would be adding someone like a JJ Reddick.....someone to stretch the defense to complement PG and Teague....but then we still need a banger inside to start at the 4....and we just don't have the ammo to do both with and still have a bench to put around the team. I think once you realize that you can't put a team around PG you trade him. Right now Boston and LA are the two teams that make sense. Boston because they need PG to get over the top in the East and they may think that they will lose Bradley and a couple other guys next offseason anyways since they don't have the cap space to re-sign them....so renting PG > then renting AB and a couple other pieces. For the chance to go all in and also maybe get Paul to sign long term do they give up the one asset that Indy would require...#1 PICK. If they trade that pick plus throw in a couple guys they can't re-sign next year does the deal get done? LA faces the risk that PG makes all nba and could get paid substantially more and decides to stay or goes to a contender and then decides he doesn't want to leave. Plus they likely aren't going to re-sign Randle past next year anyways themselves...so they have pieces they could afford to let go to ensure they have Paul long term. Way I see it the Pacers need young controllable talent to rebuild. Who knows after moving PG they may still be able to land Hayward to surround with Turner and some young talent. Can't be worse playing in Indy where you know you can reach the conference finals vs getting trounced by SA and GS every year.

I think Bird left because he saw the writing on the wall. He didn't want to start a rebuild and go through all that and be known as the guy that let PG get away. I also think Pritchard is the kinda guy that will not let Paul walk for nothing. His best chance to survive in his new role is to get as much young optimism on this team and buy time to rebuild....otherwise if PG walks for nothing...Pritchard is probably out of a job. I think he will be shrewed and work some teams against each other to drum up as much demand as possible. It won't be as good as if we traded him at the trade deadline this year but he'll get the best he can. Tough position for him to be in.

• Like 1

I get the feeling he is gone.  I think he wants to play in LA so badly, and the team knows it, and knows he won't sign an extension.  So they may as well shop for the best offer and take it IMHO.  Unless he says he wants to stay that's what I would do, or else you risk losing him next off-season for nothing.  And he certainly COULD come out publicly and say "I want to stay in Indy" and end all speculation.  He hasn't done that, which tells me what I need to know.

I just think we have seen the last of PG in a Pacers' uni.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, Myles said:

And that isn't common.

Maybe half the time...Golden State 2 years ago didn't have a top 5 player...

PG was 10..Dirk Nowitzki was 9...Westbrook was 4...Durant was the 2nd pick

Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard were low 1st round..

Reggie Miller was the 11th pick in the first round...

..a mid 1st round pick has a lot of value

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:36 AM, Myles said:

So who are the top players the Pacers are looking at in the draft?   

forwards who can shoot and defend the perimeter or the rim..

....we wont get the top guards..

..but there's so many foreign players and college freshman coming into the draft..

......I cant really tell

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, Luck is Good said:

What the Pacers need to do is get Gordon Hayward in FA. Add him to Teague, PG and Myles, maybe we have something

That would be something....but Hayward is not yet a free agent...he would have to opt out of his contract and come here.

He is in the same position Paul George will be in next year.

He can opt out of the final year of his deal...

It has been speculated that Gordon wants to go to Boston to play for his old college coach but he's never said that that I've read.  Kinda like its ben said that Paul George wants to play for the Lakers, even though he's never said that in public.

The difference is: Paul George is under contract to the Pacers for 2 more years and he cant opt out of the final year until next summer.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, aaron11 said:

i agree that it seems likely he will be back next year.

we will probably get trade offers, but the team will want equal compensation and that wont happen for a guy with one year on his contract

its hard to see how we build a team that can challenge the cavs, because we need so much and have very limited resources to work with

Lakers say they will not trade Ingram..so no serious deal with the Lakers is possible..

Ainge says he will not trade the No.1 overall (right now) and that would make a deal with Boston impossible..

Paul George will be with the Pacers next year.

..we have a lot of young talent right now in PG (27), Lance (26) and Myles (21)...and we have in Jeff Teague..a former all-star who wants only to play in Indy..

.......we are not that far of but we have to be willing to go over the cap for players like the Cavs Korver and Deron Williams to compete with them

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Lakers say they will not trade Ingram..so no serious deal with the Lakers is possible..

Ainge says he will not trade the No.1 overall (right now) and that would make a deal with Boston impossible..

..we have a lot of young talent right now in PG (27), Lance (26) and Myles (21)...and we have in Jeff Teague..a former all-star who wants only to play in Indy..

.......we are not that far of but we have to be willing to go over the cap for players like the Cavs Korver and Deron Williams to compete with them

We are not within a country mile! JMO
 Deron Williams? Hahahaha!

• Like 2

On 5/23/2017 at 3:17 PM, aaron11 said:

it might be easier for him to make an all nba team as a guard

something to consider

He would be a very good SG. He pretty much already plays like one anyway. He would have a size advantage on most SGs too.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Lakers would absolutely trade Ingram and Celtics would absolutely trade the #1 overall pick. Magic and Ainge are just saying that to try to throw people off the scent. It's the equivalent to coach speak

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I hear you but LeBron will be 33 next year..we won 42 without Lance..

PG is 27. Lance is 26..Myles is 21...we already have a 'young core' .

With a draft choice and a couple of free agents

..we are not that far away

3 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

Lakers would absolutely trade Ingram and Celtics would absolutely trade the #1 overall pick. Magic and Ainge are just saying that to try to throw people off the scent. It's the equivalent to coach speak

Magic said No deal includes Ingram..I believe that

..Ainge lies a lot so you may be right there..but Boston doesn't have a lot of really good players to trade...as we just saw..

They aren't trading Isiah.....What Boston other players would we want

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I hear you but LeBron will be 33 next year..we won 42 without Lance..

PG is 27. Lance is 26..Myles is 21...we already have a 'young core' .

With a draft choice and a couple of free agents

..we are not that far away

you could say the pacers have been "close" for most of their existance

we havent won any titles though in the nba era, i dont see how we are actually close now

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

..Ainge lies a lot so you may be right there..but Boston doesn't have a lot of really good players to trade...as we just saw..

Jaylen Brown maybe? He was solid for a rookie. Don't know if Boston would give him up though.

30 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I would rather deal with the Lakers. Get some combination of Russell, Ingram, Randle and the #2 overall pick. I still think Magic is bluffing about not trading Ingram. But the problem is that the Lakers can wait until FA to snatch PG. However, having PG this next season could entice Westbrook to go there for the 2018 season

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Jaylen Brown maybe? He was solid for a rookie. Don't know if Boston would give him up though.

Id take him but Bradley could be an option I don't think they will be able to resign him so they could move him and the 1st for PG 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

I would rather deal with the Lakers. Get some combination of Russell, Ingram, Randle and the #2 overall pick. I still think Magic is bluffing about not trading Ingram. But the problem is that the Lakers can wait until FA to snatch PG. However, having PG this next season could entice Westbrook to go there for the 2018 season

Id take that but the odds of getting 2 young players plus the pick are very slim

56 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Id take that but the odds of getting 2 young players plus the pick are very slim

True but the Celtics were gonna do that back in February. If I'm Magic though, I'd take my chances next summer on PG. There's a good chance he goes to the Lakers anyway. But Magic wants to make a splash right away so what better way than to get a superstar the same offseason he takes over

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

you could say the pacers have been "close" for most of their existance

we havent won any titles though in the nba era, i dont see how we are actually close now

Cant judge this team on the 'entire NBA era'...its just not relevant

Dont you want to be relatively close....?

3 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

Magic says that Ingram will NOT be included in ANY deal...

I believe that Magic doesn't want Lonzo Ball an his daddy...and I believe that Magic wants players who can win now..not more teenagers..

..but there's no doable trade for PG now...if you believe what Magic said this week

He said it out loud

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

really....?    Jaylen Brown and the No.1 overall for Paul George.  No chance.

Avery Bradley is about as good as Jeff Teague.....

Think free agents and trades more so than Draft choices..

Don't fall in love with 19 year olds

No 2016 draft choice made a major impact on his team. Not one of them

Resign Teague. Draft a prospect like Myles but pick up a free agent shooter (Riddick) and Center (maybe Lopez) and lets make a run at this.

Lets live for today

7 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Pacers NEED Gordon Hayward. I can't stress this enough. That is the last chance to re-sign PG. A team of Teague, Hayward, PG and Myles could do some damage

That team (plus Lance) competes for the east title..

..and Paul has said (no quotes just anonymous sources) that he'd like to play with Hayward.

..but Utah can offer Hayward more than any other team..

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Watch closley..Williams has helped them a lot. They had no vet backup guard, remember?

You have to be willing to get guys like that and you have to go over the cap to compete.

If we'd have gotten Korver, we'd have played Cleve in the East finals

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

He would be a very good SG. He pretty much already plays like one anyway. He would have a size advantage on most SGs too.

True..the positions dont matter any more.

You need a lead guard...a rim protecter and 3 other good players.

Hayward could play what we used to call power forward..but with high screens and switches, it doesnt matter

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

really....?    Jaylen Brown and the No.1 overall for Paul George.  No chance.

Avery Bradley is about as good as Jeff Teague.....

Think free agents and trades more so than Draft choices..

Don't fall in love with 19 year olds

No 2016 draft choice made a major impact on his team. Not one of them

Resign Teague. Draft a prospect like Myles but pick up a free agent shooter (Riddick) and Center (maybe Lopez) and lets make a run at this.

Lets live for today

That team wouldn't even make it out of the second rd next year. That's an awful idea. Then when PG leaves you have Turner and a draft pick surrounded by over the hill guys with huge contracts and no room to sign anyone to replace Paul. We had a window with PG , Lance, and Hibbert and we just didn't get over the hump. Had we not wasted tons of cap space on old broken down Ellis, Jefferson, and wasted draft pick on Young who can't rebound or stretch the floor. We screwed this team up...it isn't close...and we don't have the resources to change that this offseason. If Hayward were to throw us the greatest homer discount love ever and come home this offseason than ok...we could put something together around him and PG...but that ain't happening. Just like it was time to move on from Peyton and if hurt to think about it...we had Luck in our lap. This is the time to move on from Paul...if we could land multiple young assets and a top draft pick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That would be something....but Hayward is not yet a free agent...he would have to opt out of his contract and come here.

He is in the same position Paul George will be in next year.

He can opt out of the final year of his deal...

It has been speculated that Gordon wants to go to Boston to play for his old college coach but he's never said that that I've read.  Kinda like its ben said that Paul George wants to play for the Lakers, even though he's never said that in public.

The difference is: Paul George is under contract to the Pacers for 2 more years and he cant opt out of the final year until next summer.

Hayward is opting out...too much money not too. He won't hesitate to leave if he finds the right situation....remember he already signed an offer sheet from Charlotte a few years ago to play for MJ. It isn't like Utah is the only place he would like to play clearly. If situation is right he will leave again.

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That team (plus Lance) competes for the east title..

..and Paul has said (no quotes just anonymous sources) that he'd like to play with Hayward.

..but Utah can offer Hayward more than any other team..

Don't get me wrong...I see little chance Hayward comes to Indy but if he would throw us that bone it would change our chances to keep PG. I could see him leaving....I think he trusts Boston, Indy and others to build something around and put him in a position he is comfortable with.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That team wouldn't even make it out of the second rd next year. That's an awful idea. Then when PG leaves you have Turner and a draft pick surrounded by over the hill guys with huge contracts and no room to sign anyone to replace Paul. We had a window with PG , Lance, and Hibbert and we just didn't get over the hump. Had we not wasted tons of cap space on old broken down Ellis, Jefferson, and wasted draft pick on Young who can't rebound or stretch the floor. We screwed this team up...it isn't close...and we don't have the resources to change that this offseason. If Hayward were to throw us the greatest homer discount love ever and come home this offseason than ok...we could put something together around him and PG...but that ain't happening. Just like it was time to move on from Peyton and if hurt to think about it...we had Luck in our lap. This is the time to move on from Paul...if we could land multiple young assets and a top draft pick.

Forget the past...Cant live there      Thad Young is a good player 14 and 7...strong..

You need guys like that

'Multiple young assets (Sixers, Lakers) don't win'

Don't trade a Top-15 player....you wont have another for awhile.

WE have a young core of talent

Concern yourself only with NEXT year....dont try to stock teenagers for 2020