Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 biggest needs

tweezy32

Saying that our top 3 picks start and pan out to be good pick ups and mack does a good job this year and has potential. If we dont sign Davis next year(just an if) which position do you guys think is our biggest needs of right now?  I would have to say cb, ilb, edge, ol, rb would be our biggest needs but which do you guys think is the biggest?

1.   OLB   (Pass Rush)

2.    CB    (replacing Vonte)

3.    DL    (replacing Langford)

4.    ILB   (possible free agent)

5.     RB   someone to team with Mack

6.     WR  adding to depth

7.    TE    adding to depth

8.    OL    The players we have on the roster now should be able to fill every need and then some.

2 hours ago, ManningGM said:

New HC and coaching staff.

BINGO! We have to replace Pagano next season. Biggest need is a new HC. No matter how we build the team, it won't matter until we get a new head coach. Rip the band-aid off, take our lumps and get someone that has the ability to get us to the SB and win it. Don't want to be an 8-8 team or a one and done team in the playoffs every year for the rest of Luck's career.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

BINGO! We have to replace Pagano next season. Biggest need is a new HC. No matter how we build the team, it won't matter until we get a new head coach. Rip the band-aid off, take our lumps and get someone that has the ability to get us to the SB and win it. Don't want to be an 8-8 team or a one and done team in the playoffs every year for the rest of Luck's career.

That has yet to be determined if the Colts need a new head coach. Say what you want Pagano has yet to have a losing season and his record is as good as any other coaches record in their first 5 years. The facts don't lie. 

Was the problem the head coach or the players brought in? We shall see.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

That has yet to be determined if the Colts need a new head coach. Say what you want Pagano has yet to have a losing season and his record is as good as any other coaches record in their first 5 years. The facts don't lie. 

Was the problem the head coach or the players brought in? We shall see.

The facts don't lie, you are right. Pagano is winless against the Pats, Steelers, and I believe the Raiders with Derek Carr as QB. That's all that matters. We can't get to the SB without beating those teams. If he can't do it, there's no need for him to remain here. Beating a bunch of scrub teams to make your record better does nothing when you are winless vs the top 3 threats in the AFC.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The facts don't lie, you are right. Pagano is winless against the Pats, Steelers, and I believe the Raiders with Derek Carr as QB. That's all that matters. We can't get to the SB without beating those teams. If he can't do it, there's no need for him to remain here. Beating a bunch of scrub teams to make your record better does nothing when you are winless vs the top 3 threats in the AFC.

You may hand pick a hand full of games to make your point and completely overlook other wins over teams like the Broncos or the Packers. As far as getting wins over the Patriots we are far from the only team that has a problem with that. How many time have we even played the Raiders? Not enough for you to make it an issue. That is something you throw in to help make your case.

Look, I am not saying that Pagano is going to be great or the next Belichick (sarcasm) but like it or not his record in his first five years is better than Belichick was. You can dismiss facts or twist them anyway you care to, it changes nothing.

If Pagano does a good job this upcoming season he is going to stay. If not he will be gone. Either way at this time he is the head coach. To automatically lay all the Colts problems on him is being very narrow minded when he has not done a bad job. Matter of fact he done his best coaching job season before with the 8-8 record without Luck and using 5 different QBs to get those 8 wins. You may not think so but it is what it is.

You may hand pick a hand full of games to make your point and completely overlook other wins over teams like the Broncos or the Packers. As far as getting wins over the Patriots we are far from the only team that has a problem with that. How many time have we even played the Raiders? Not enough for you to make it an issue. That is something you throw in to help make your case.

Look, I am not saying that Pagano is going to be great or the next Belichick (sarcasm) but like it or not his record in his first five years is better than Belichick was. You can dismiss facts or twist them anyway you care to, it changes nothing.

If Pagano does a good job this upcoming season he is going to stay. If not he will be gone. Either way at this time he is the head coach. To automatically lay all the Colts problems on him is being very narrow minded when he has not done a bad job. Matter of fact he done his best coaching job season before with the 8-8 record without Luck and using 5 different QBs to get those 8 wins. You may not think so but it is what it is.

My handful of games aren't random. I specifically picked those 3 teams because they are the best in the AFC. The 3 teams that will keep us from getting to the SB every year. If Pagano can't beat them, then we have no chance at making the SB. There's no possible pairing that will let us avoid the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders. See where I'm getting at? The Broncos are irrelevant now because they aren't a playoff team anymore. We aren't facing them in the playoffs because they won't make it. They won't be an easy out for us anymore. The Packers are even more irrelevant because they are in the NFC. Chuck may be able to beat the Packers, but that won't help come playoff time unless we face them in the SB. 

It seems like you are happy just to make the playoffs and have the possibility of making the SB. You really aren't considering how outmatched we are by the AFC elite and how poor we've done vs them. I'm looking at the probability of making the SB. Can it happen? Will it happen one day? 5 years of stats say Pagano has 0 chance of getting us there. I base things off probability, not a possibility. The NFL isn't a slot machine where you can put your last dollar in and win a million dollars. It's a cutthroat league that's a skill sport, player and coach wise. Pagano has shown he doesn't have the skill, and I want a chance at a SB while Luck is here, not just making a playoff appearance, making squeaking out a game, and getting destroyed by the Pats, Steelers, or Raiders every year. Might be your cup of tea, but it's not mine.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My handful of games aren't random. I specifically picked those 3 teams because they are the best in the AFC. The 3 teams that will keep us from getting to the SB every year. If Pagano can't beat them, then we have no chance at making the SB. There's no possible pairing that will let us avoid the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders. See where I'm getting at? The Broncos are irrelevant now because they aren't a playoff team anymore. We aren't facing them in the playoffs because they won't make it. They won't be an easy out for us anymore. The Packers are even more irrelevant because they are in the NFC. Chuck may be able to beat the Packers, but that won't help come playoff time unless we face them in the SB. 

It seems like you are happy just to make the playoffs and have the possibility of making the SB. You really aren't considering how outmatched we are by the AFC elite and how poor we've done vs them. I'm looking at the probability of making the SB. Can it happen? Will it happen one day? 5 years of stats say Pagano has 0 chance of getting us there. I base things off probability, not a possibility. The NFL isn't a slot machine where you can put your last dollar in and win a million dollars. It's a cutthroat league that's a skill sport, player and coach wise. Pagano has shown he doesn't have the skill, and I want a chance at a SB while Luck is here, not just making a playoff appearance, making squeaking out a game, and getting destroyed by the Pats, Steelers, or Raiders every year. Might be your cup of tea, but it's not mine.

It has yet to be determined if Pagano can beat the teams mentioned. He has yet to have the players to do that. He has had a defense that is rated at the bottom of the league. He don't even have an average running game because the lack of player to make it happen. He is coaching a great QB who has been pounded into the ground from the lack of an even average O-line.

Hopefully Ballard and his knowledge will change that. Do I know he will win? No, but neither do you.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It has yet to be determined if Pagano can beat the teams mentioned. He has yet to have the players to do that. He has had a defense that is rated at the bottom of the league. He don't even have an average running game because the lack of player to make it happen. He is coaching a great QB who has been pounded into the ground from the lack of an even average O-line.

Hopefully Ballard and his knowledge will change that. Do I know he will win? No, but neither do you.

I guess this is the difference between us. You rely on the possibility that something can happen, despite when evidence points to the contrary. I take evidence and put it together to come to a conclusion. 1 or 2 years I'd agree we don't know. 5 years is a big enough sample size for me to know as well as other people. We aren't even blowing out teams like the Jaguars, we struggle vs everyone it seems. I'm happy for you that you have an optimistic disposition that allows you to be positive no matter what happens, but you also won't get taken very seriously when you ignore evidence that points to the contrary as time goes by. I'm not changing my stance on this subject unless Pagano does something like get us to the AFC Championship game or better this year. Lets hope for the best this year. I'm done talking about this, because it's upsetting me that he's still coach lol.

I guess this is the difference between us. You rely on the possibility that something can happen, despite when evidence points to the contrary. I take evidence and put it together to come to a conclusion. 1 or 2 years I'd agree we don't know. 5 years is a big enough sample size for me to know as well as other people. We aren't even blowing out teams like the Jaguars, we struggle vs everyone it seems. I'm happy for you that you have an optimistic disposition that allows you to be positive no matter what happens, but you also won't get taken very seriously when you ignore evidence that points to the contrary as time goes by. I'm not changing my stance on this subject unless Pagano does something like get us to the AFC Championship game or better this year. Lets hope for the best this year. I'm done talking about this, because it's upsetting me that he's still coach lol.

Setting unrealistic goals seems to be your specialty.

It took Manning and Dungy how many years ? It took the Steelers how many years to win a super bowl with Cowher? If winning super bowls is your bottom line way to judge coaches then you live in a fantasy world. Even the great Belichick only has 5 super bowls after being a head coach since 1991. You set your standards that high you then set yourself up to be bummed out all the time. This is the NFL, not Madden or fantasy football.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Setting unrealistic goals seems to be your specialty.

It took Manning and Dungy how many years ? It took the Steelers how many years to win a super bowl with Cowher? If winning super bowls is your bottom line way to judge coaches then you live in a fantasy world. Even the great Belichick only has 5 super bowls after being a head coach since 1991. You set your standards that high you then set yourself up to be bummed out all the time. This is the NFL, not Madden or fantasy football.

A SB is completely over the rainbow right now. We can't even beat the Pats, Steelers, or Raiders. We'll never have the shot. Like I said, my pessimism is based on statistical facts of the last 5 years vs these teams that are the top 3 teams in the AFC, your optimism is based on some possibility that Pagano could improve, despite heavy evidence suggesting otherwise. Based on your optimism, the Browns had the best draft, they could make the SB this year. You need to come up with some better facts than Paganos winning record (most vs irrelevant teams), to get taken seriously around here. All that matters is he gets annihilated by the teams who do matter. End of story.

A SB is completely over the rainbow right now. We can't even beat the Pats, Steelers, or Raiders. We'll never have the shot. Like I said, my pessimism is based on statistical facts of the last 5 years vs these teams that are the top 3 teams in the AFC, your optimism is based on some possibility that Pagano could improve, despite heavy evidence suggesting otherwise. Based on your optimism, the Browns had the best draft, they could make the SB this year. You need to come up with some better facts than Paganos winning record (most vs irrelevant teams), to get taken seriously around here. All that matters is he gets annihilated by the teams who do matter. End of story.

Never having that shot?? 

The evidence shows Pagano can coach this team to 11-5 records and reach the AFC championship game. That my friend is a fact.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Never having that shot?? 

The evidence shows Pagano can coach this team to 11-5 records and reach the AFC championship game. That my friend is a fact.

Now I think you're trolling me. His record means nothing when we can't beat the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders. Show me where Pagano has beat them and I'll take you seriously. Until then, we have no shot. That is a fact that is irrelevant. The real fact is he gets destroyed by the teams who matter, the teams who we have to beat to get to the SB. Talk to me again when Pagano has a competitive game vs the Pats. Talk to me again when we beat the Steelers or Raiders. Pagano can take his winning record and shove it, because he can't beat anyone who matters. The AFC Championship game was the one time in 5 years he had a favorable schedule in the playoffs. He then went on to get annihilated by the Pats. Add the Steelers and Raiders and you have an impossible scenario to make the SB. Again, his record means nothing when he loses to the PATS, STEELERS and RAIDERS EVERY TIME. 

15 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Saying that our top 3 picks start and pan out to be good pick ups and mack does a good job this year and has potential. If we dont sign Davis next year(just an if) which position do you guys think is our biggest needs of right now?  I would have to say cb, ilb, edge, ol, rb would be our biggest needs but which do you guys think is the biggest?

CB

37 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Now I think you're trolling me. His record means nothing when we can't beat the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders. Show me where Pagano has beat them and I'll take you seriously. Until then, we have no shot. That is a fact that is irrelevant. The real fact is he gets destroyed by the teams who matter, the teams who we have to beat to get to the SB. Talk to me again when Pagano has a competitive game vs the Pats. Talk to me again when we beat the Steelers or Raiders. Pagano can take his winning record and shove it, because he can't beat anyone who matters. The AFC Championship game was the one time in 5 years he had a favorable schedule in the playoffs. He then went on to get annihilated by the Pats. Add the Steelers and Raiders and you have an impossible scenario to make the SB. Again, his record means nothing when he loses to the PATS, STEELERS and RAIDERS EVERY TIME. 

So now I am trolling you because I state facts? OK, With your attitude it wouldn't matter if the Colts did win a super bowl with Pagano you would find a reason to credit someone else for it.

So now I am trolling you because I state facts? OK, With your attitude it wouldn't matter if the Colts did win a super bowl with Pagano you would find a reason to credit someone else for it.

You're trolling me because you're repeatedly stating a fact that doesn't matter. His regular season record won't help us at all to win in the playoffs or make the SB. Beating the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders will. Your argument holds no water. 

55 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You're trolling me because you're repeatedly stating a fact that doesn't matter. His regular season record won't help us at all to win in the playoffs or make the SB. Beating the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders will. Your argument holds no water. 

Ok. Tell me a name who did beat the Pats. Or, you see him being able to. A name, who will realistically be available next year. Tell me one name, and I'll be with you replacing Pagano to that coach...

Until then, let's talk about the OP subject, shall we? ;)

1 minute ago, Peterk2011 said:

Ok. Tell me a name who did beat the Pats. Or, you see him being able to. A name, who will realistically be available next year. Tell me one name, and I'll be with you replacing Pagano to that coach...

Until then, let's talk about the OP subject, shall we? ;)

Toub, Harbaugh, Gruden, McDaniels. David Shaw. You are also trying to ask if a rookie coach can beat Belichick and the Pats in 1 year when Pagano had 5 years to do it, which isn't fair.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Toub, Harbaugh, Gruden, McDaniels. David Shaw. You are also trying to ask if a rookie coach can beat Belichick and the Pats in 1 year when Pagano had 5 years to do it, which isn't fair.

Gruden is more interested in shining for the camera than coaching. Putting Gruden as a better coach that Pagano is a joke too. Tampa Bay's players contacted Dungy and give him more credit that Gruden after winning the super bowl. Giving a coach credit who knew the team he beat better than their own coach is not saying a lot.

Harbaugh is not leaving his job to coach the Colts.

So you are willing to give up another 3-4 years for a rookie coach to beat Belichick? Nice.

Fair??  This is the NFL.

Your so possessed with your hate of Pagano it clouds you ability to see reality. :D

Gruden is more interested in shining for the camera than coaching. Putting Gruden as a better coach that Pagano is a joke too. Tampa Bay's players contacted Dungy and give him more credit that Gruden after winning the super bowl. Giving a coach credit who knew the team he beat better than their own coach is not saying a lot.

Harbaugh is not leaving his job to coach the Colts.

So you are willing to give up another 3-4 years for a rookie coach to beat Belichick? Nice.

Fair??  This is the NFL.

Your so possessed with your hate of Pagano it clouds you ability to see reality. :D

I'm willing to give up a couple years to have a chance at a superbowl yes. Right now, it's 0%. I'd at least like to have a 25-50% in a couple years. The funny thing is, this isn't about Pagano with you, it's about me trashing someone associated with the Colts. You literally comment on any post that trashes a member of the Colts (whether it be a player or Coach), just because you are so defensive and a huge Colts optimist. I could be the Coach of the Colts next year, go 8-8 the next 3 years, and you'd defend me on these boards and say I never had a losing season just because I would of been a member of the Colts and had your loyalty. That's what it's about, you defend anyone and everyone associated with the Colts, whether it's warranted or not.

Like Jared said, Pagano has yet to coach this team to a win against the Patriots and Steelers. The fact that we constantly lose to these teams isn't the only thing that bugs me, we don't even look convincing against them. When someone tells me we play the Patriots or any other elite team for that matter, the anxiety starts rising already. I simply can't have that with my coach.

Handclapper's time here is running out. 

18 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

Like Jared said, Pagano has yet to coach this team to a win against the Patriots and Steelers. The fact that we constantly lose to these teams isn't the only thing that bugs me, we don't even look convincing against them. When someone tells me we play the Patriots or any other elite team for that matter, the anxiety starts rising already. I simply can't have that with my coach.

Handclapper's time here is running out. 

its not just chuck, the colts are 6-23 all time against the steelers

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm sure the 70s didn't help out lol.

we have only beat them 3 times since the colts moved to indy! and one of those was in 1984

the 70s were no better or worse than the other eras

Just now, aaron11 said:

we have only beat them 3 times since the colts moved to indy! and one of those was in 1984

the 70s were no better or worse than the other eras

This makes me really sad since I was born in 87. Only two times since I was born.

28 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

The Colts played the Steelers only twice under Pagano's tenure, the first went to a high scoring shoutout in Pittsburgh. In that game half of the Colts secondary went down, there were so many injuries that a linebacker had to fill in as a safety late in the game, because there was not enough healthy body to send in. The second game we played against the Steelers, we played without Luck, and (again) a depleted secondary.

The fact is, it's only the Patriots the Colts haven't had success against. Pagano is fine against all other good AFC (and NFC) teams, including Denver, the Chiefs, the Ravens, the Bengals, etc. And the Packers, the (back then contender) Niners, the Seahawks, etc. 

Regarding the Steelers. Mike Tomlin is 2-7 against the Patriots. His 2 victories came in 2008 against the Matt Cassell Pats, and in 2011 at home. Tomlin hasn't won a single game against Belichick since 2011. And he's been directing a much better Steelers roster than Pagano's Indy roster ever were.

Btw, Tony Dungy went 0-4 against the Patriots before things turned the other way... I'm glad Irsay didn't get rid of him because of that :)