Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would an all-rookie team (2017) have a chance at winning the Super Bowl?

rock8591

You can tell it's the offseason... :)

Aside from the fact that there are obvious inexperience, chemistry, and coaching issues... Would an all-rookie team from the past 2017 draft stand a chance at making or winning the Super Bowl?

I can see this as a possible hypothetical lineup.

QB: Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes

RB: Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey

TE: OJ Howard, Evan Engram, Adam Shaheen

WR: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross

T: Garrett Boles, Cam Robinson

T: Ryan Ramczyk

G: Forrest Lamp

G: Dion Dawkins, Dan Feeney

C: Ethan Pocic

DE: Myles Garrett, Soloman Thomas

DT: Malik McDowell, Jonathan Adams

OLB: Haason Reddick, Tyus Bowser

MLB: Reuben Foster, Jarrad Davis

OLB: Zach Cunningham

CB: Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey, Gareon Conley

S: Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Jabrill Peppers

8 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Aside from the fact that there are obvious inexperience, chemistry, and coaching issues... Would an all-rookie team from the past 2017 draft stand a chance at making or winning the Super Bowl?

2-14....3-13

......and with that O-line....they better play the Clemson kid at QB because he can run

12 hours ago, rock8591 said:

What about combining the Colts and the Browns?

Gawd, that team is totally devoid of talent.

We'd gain Myles Garrett, Jamie Collins, Danny Shelton, and Josh Gordon. That's about it.

uh..... no.   You forgot Joe Hayden CB, Jason McCourty possibly, CB, Joel Bitonion, OL probably at least depth, JOE THOMAS, OL, KEVIN ZEITLER, OL, David Njoku, Jabrill Peppers, Deshone Kizer, Larry Ogunjobi would be young drafted shoe-ins.......  not a ton of talent, but they aren't devoid...... added to you Garrett, Collins, Shelton, Gordon.......  that'd be a great combined talent pool  OL would be great....

On 5/22/2017 at 11:31 PM, Shafty138 said:

uh..... no.   You forgot Joe Hayden CB, Jason McCourty possibly, CB, Joel Bitonion, OL probably at least depth, JOE THOMAS, OL, KEVIN ZEITLER, OL, David Njoku, Jabrill Peppers, Deshone Kizer, Larry Ogunjobi would be young drafted shoe-ins.......  not a ton of talent, but they aren't devoid...... added to you Garrett, Collins, Shelton, Gordon.......  that'd be a great combined talent pool  OL would be great....

Seriously. Haden and Vontae would be a good starting CB tandem. Bitonio and Zeitler would upgrade both guard spots, Joe Thomas would upgrade either tackle position, and we'd have a STRONG starting OL for a change. Jamie Collins would be our best LB. Corey Coleman is good young prospect at WR. Duke Johnson is a good change back. Ogbah is a good Rush prospect.

And I'm leaving out all the rookies, including Myles Garrett, one of the best prospects in a long time. 

Combine the Colts and the Browns and you might have the best roster in the league, with lots of young talent to cultivate and a good stable of vets to lead the way.

It's o-line, in general, that would struggle the most. They'd have lack of cohesion, possibly undersize (or overweight), all of them entering into a new playbook of protection schemes, new QB audibles, the noise of sold out NFL stadiums drowning out their QB's voice (esp. during the Superbowl), and they'd have no veteran leadership. Not even Peyton Manning could make that unit gel.

On 5/21/2017 at 1:10 PM, rock8591 said:

On 5/21/2017 at 1:32 PM, jvan1973 said:

Zero chance.  They would be lucky to win a few games

On 5/21/2017 at 1:47 PM, aaron11 said:

no chance at a super bowl

its hard to see how this team could be any good.  theres no clear cut QB, and the oline would struggle

Timeout.  Who is the coach?

I hate to invoke the name of he who must not be named, but...

BB could win a SB with that team.  He would have to cheat more than usual, but he could do it.

:worms:  :sarcasm:

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Timeout.  Who is the coach?

I hate to invoke the name of he who must not be named, but...

BB could win a SB with that team.  He would have to cheat more than usual, but he could do it.

:worms:  :sarcasm:

No,  No one could win with this team.  History says half of those guys will bee busts

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

No,  No one could win with this team.  History says half of those guys will bee busts

You saw the sarcasm emoji, right?

I was joking.  BB would have to steal the Lombardi and hold it ransom.  Which I would not put past that wascally wabbit.  

And Goodell would be like: "Look, I'm not touching the Pats with a ten-foot pole, not again.  Just let 'em have it."

haha

What about a rookies/sophomores team combo? That might be a much better chance at winning the Super Bowl.

QB - Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott

RB - Ezekiel Elliott, Jordan Howard

RB/FB - Leonard Fournette

TE - Hunter Henry, OJ Howard, Evan Engram

WR - Michael Thomas, Corey Davis, Tyreke Hill, Christian MaCaffrey

OT - Jack Conklin, Ronnie Staley, Laremy Tunsil, Taylor Decker

OG - Cody Whitehair, Forrest Lamp

C - Ryan Kelly, Nick Martin

DE - Myles Garrett

DT - Joey Bosa

DT - DeForest Buckner

DE - Soloman Thomas

OLB - Noah Spence, Yannick Ngakoue

ILB - Haason Reddick, Reuben Foster

OLB - Deion Jones, Darron Lee

CB - Jalen Ramsey, Vernon Hargraves Jr, Artie Burns

SS - Keanu Neal, Karl Joseph, Jabrill Peppers

FS - Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker

K - Rigoberto Sanchez

P - Austin Rekhow

On 22.5.2017 at 9:33 AM, Shafty138 said:

OL alone would be at worst, Thomas, Mewhort, Kelly, Zeitler, Castonzo......  DB's of Davis, Hayden, Wilson, Butler, Hooker, Peppers, Geathers...... damn

Jamar Taylor is also pretty good slot CB.

No. Some of those players are going to be underwhelming or outright busts. And the majority of them are going to need time to get acclimated to the NFL's level of speed. There are some positions that just take awhile to develop, the secondary would have a very hard time. 

Then to win it they need to go up against much more experienced teams. 

On 5/23/2017 at 5:58 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Friend, you might have just saved the Pro Bowl.

That is a friggin' brilliant idea.  I would watch that.

:td:

You would want to watch the best players in the league demolish the best rookies?  No thanks. 

3 hours ago, wig said:

You would want to watch the best players in the league demolish the best rookies?  No thanks. 

they used to do almost that very thing

except it was a normal nfl team against college all stars. the pros went 31-11.  it was also a long time ago

this team of rookies might be able to win a few games, but it wouldnt be many imo

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, MTC said:

That would be a fun Pro-Bowl idea. 

Rookies vs Veterans. 

Y'all know that.s the old 'College Bowl; they used to play in Chicago..in the pre-season>

it was the NFL champs vs. the College allstars

But I agree....play it in the post-season (stars vs. stars) and I'd watch

Call me crazy but I think they'd have a decent chance with a whole season under their belt. Maybe not necessarily that team, but if you removed the busts and replaced them with sleepers they could have a chance. If you look at last year's all rookie team they have a lot of talent. This year's draft was considered more talented by most people. The biggest question is QB but there were questions with Wentz and nobody foresaw Dak's success so you never know.

16 hours ago, aaron11 said:

they used to do almost that very thing

except it was a normal nfl team against college all stars. the pros went 31-11.  it was also a long time ago

this team of rookies might be able to win a few games, but it wouldnt be many imo

I went to one of those when Unitas was playing. I was too young to remember much of it. Those games were a very dumb idea when you consider future pro players getting stomped by old pros risking the rookies' chance of being healthy to play pro ball in the future.

On 5/21/2017 at 1:32 PM, jvan1973 said:

Zero chance.  They would be lucky to win a few games

Ehh in the 2nd half of the season with some experience they would have a pretty good defense I think.

But with QB and OL problems.  I'd put them at 6 wins against an average NFL schedule.  

32 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ehh in the 2nd half of the season with some experience they would have a pretty good defense I think.

But with QB and OL problems.  I'd put them at 6 wins against an average NFL schedule.  

They would have no leadership at all.   Vets would take them to school every week

23 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

They would have no leadership at all.   Vets would take them to school every week

Again these are problems that would be part of the early season but I think as the season wore on and they learned a little bit more, leadership would develop in the locker room and they would be a more effective team.

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Again these are problems that would be part of the early season but I think as the season wore on and they learned a little bit more, leadership would develop in the locker room and they would be a more effective team.

Highly doubtful.  These guys have never played a 16 game season.  Many rookies hit the wall late in the year.   Two wins tops