Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Henry Anderson

ColtsBlitz

I really hope Anderson can get back to what he was his rookie year, because it seemed like he was in on every play. Elite or above average play from him will be key for our pass rush and run D this year. Prayers with him on his knee and that it's back to normal. 

A note of caution to modestly temper some of the enthusiasm....

The best part of Henry's game is stopping the run.....

As a pass rusher,  I wouldn't expect more than 4-6 sacks in any given year.    I don't think he's got the twitch to deliver more.     Obviously,   I hope I'm wrong....    just talking as a Stanford fan here who watched him intensely in college.      Remember,  he only recorded one sack his rookie year in 8 and a half games....  

Henry can still be a disruptive force...   he's an all-around solid player....     I just wouldn't expect too much because I'm not sure he's got that type of ability...

7 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

He tore his ACL, correct?

Yes, in 15.  Injured the other knee last season.  

Hopefully they wait until he's completely healed this time.  With the depth we have there's no need to rush him. 

12 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I really hope Anderson can get back to what he was his rookie year, because it seemed like he was in on every play. Elite or above average play from him will be key for our pass rush and run D this year. Prayers with him on his knee and that it's back to normal. 

I think you are right about Anderson's health being a key for our run D. I'm not so sure he's going to have that kind of impact on passing downs. Langford is the best defensive lineman at getting after the QB.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Yes, in 15.  Injured the other knee last season.  

Hopefully they wait until he's completely healed this time.  With the depth we have there's no need to rush him. 

His perfectly fine knee wasn't completely healed last time?

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

You know how it is, when you're recovering from an ACL on one knee you tend to favor it. So you end up using the other knee more subconsciously.   Then it gets injured from overwork.  

Guys want to play, they'll say anything to get back in the game.  I'm sure Anderson thought he was ready.  

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think you are right about Anderson's health being a key for our run D. I'm not so sure he's going to have that kind of impact on passing downs. Langford is the best defensive lineman at getting after the QB.

Langford's coming off a knee injury, too.  Hopefully he'll be back at full health, though he's on the wrong side of 30 to be too optimistic.

Hankins had 7 sacks two seasons ago in NY.  Grover Stewart had 27 sacks in college (granted a d2 school), so I'm somewhat excited to see what he may bring. 

Also, as a rookie, Anderson was playing with Langford (solid), plus Kerr, Okine, Parry, Quarles, and McGill (and for a brief time Billy Winn and Arthur Jones).  He was very impressive prior to injury when he was really playing with only one very solid player the rest were all young mediocre-average guys (or worse).

I think the addition of Hankins alone should help Anderson tremendously, as Hankins will be the best DL to don a Colts uniform of the Luck era.  If Langford comes back healthy, this should be by far the best all around DL that Anderson has played with at this level.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

What SMonroe said.  A lot of knee and ankle injuries occur this way, especially for big guys who are pushing around 300 pound men.  Favoring one leg does not bode well in that situation.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You know how it is, when you're recovering from an ACL on one knee you tend to favor it. So you end up using the other knee more subconsciously.   Then it gets injured from overwork.  

Guys want to play, they'll say anything to get back in the game.  I'm sure Anderson thought he was ready.  

Just because he injured his knee does not mean he was rushed back.  He also blew out his knee in HS.

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As a pass rusher,  I wouldn't expect more than 4-6 sacks in any given year.    I don't think he's got the twitch to deliver more.     Obviously,   I hope I'm wrong....    just talking as a Stanford fan here who watched him intensely in college.      Remember,  he only recorded one sack his rookie year in 8 and a half games....  

Henry can still be a disruptive force...   he's an all-around solid player....     I just wouldn't expect too much because I'm not sure he's got that type of ability...

If he can get 6 that would be incredible, DE role in a 3-4 isn't to get after the QB so ill take 6 from him anyday.

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wonder how having a solid NT next to him will affect his pass rushing ability. I don't disagree with you at all, but perhaps with some added pass rush help from the LBs, and now Hank sucking up blockers, it may help him in that department.

On 2017. 05. 21. at 6:50 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Anderson is a 3-4 DE, not a 4-3 DE, he is not an edge rusher. He is a 5 tech, he's main job is to hold his gap(s), stop the run, and pressure the pocket. Unless you are J.J. Watt, you won't get 10+ sacks year in year out if you are a 3-4 DE. Malik Jackson had 3, 6 and 5 sacks per season during his Denver tenure, and he was a force to reckon with. One of the reasons (along with Derek Wolfe) why Denver's front7 was such a terror to play against in 2014-2015. He stopped the run, and he did pressure/collapse the pocket, so opponent QB's could not step up in the pocket, were under constant pressure. It just wasn't him who got the sacks, but Von Miller, Ware and the blitzing LB's.

In 2016, Denver still had a loaded defense with Miller, Ware, Wolfe, Talib, Harris, etc, so they were obviously still very good. But there was a reason why they went from #2 to #28 (yeah, almost dead last) last year stopping the run, and why they had only 40 sacks compared to prior year's 52 sacks. The reason was Malick Jackson.

So, I believe the Colts will be very satisfied with Anderson if he'll become a Malik Jackson, Cameron Heyward (Derek Wolfe, Michael Bennet), etc. Having no more than 4-6 sacks, but constantly pressure the pocket, harrass the QB, and make blitzer's and edge rusher's life much easier. (Of course, the Colts will need at least one beast at OLB, to fully take advantage of it, which they don't have yet. But Anderson has nothing to do with it.)

4 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Anderson is a 3-4 DE, not a 4-3 DE, he is not an edge rusher. He is a 5 tech, he's main job is to hold his gap(s), stop the run, and pressure the pocket. Unless you are J.J. Watt, you won't get 10+ sacks year in year out if you are a 3-4 DE. Malik Jackson had 3, 6 and 5 sacks per season during his Denver tenure, and he was a force to reckon with. One of the reasons (along with Derek Wolfe) why Denver's front7 was such a terror to play against in 2014-2015. He stopped the run, and he did pressure/collapse the pocket, so opponent QB's could not step up in the pocket, were under constant pressure. It just wasn't him who got the sacks, but Von Miller, Ware and the blitzing LB's.

In 2016, Denver still had a loaded defense with Miller, Ware, Wolfe, Talib, Harris, etc, so they were obviously still very good. But there was a reason why they went from #2 to #28 (yeah, almost dead last) last year stopping the run, and why they had only 40 sacks compared to prior year's 52 sacks. The reason was Malick Jackson.

So, I believe the Colts will be very satisfied with Anderson if he'll become a Malik Jackson, Cameron Heyward (Derek Wolfe, Michael Bennet), etc. Having no more than 4-6 sacks, but constantly pressure the pocket, harrass the QB, and make blitzer's and edge rusher's life much easier. (Of course, the Colts will need at least one beast at OLB, to fully take advantage of it, which they don't have yet. But Anderson has nothing to do with it.)

I think you are right about Anderson.  I went back and looked  at what where he was through 8 games his rookie year  He ranked 8th among 3-4 DE's with 22 accumulated sacks hits or hurries. He spent some time as the 3 tech a spot he admittedly he didn't feel as comfortable at rushing the passer. 

I am interested to see how Stewart adjusts to Sunday football. It's going to be a big jump in talent. He will obviously need time to adjust to playing vs that level of talent week in and week out. I have a feeling he's going to flash early and often rushing the QB. 

It may not be long before we see a front of Hankins-DT Stewart-NT Anderson-DE.  There are some other guys I want to get a look at  Ridgeway in year 2, Magnus in an apartment odd front, and McGill.  I thought McGill should've saw more time last year. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Grigson gone. There were the whispers that he liked to mess where he had no business messing. 

On 5/20/2017 at 9:50 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I agree, I don't think he has the closing speed to get a bunch of sacks. But I do think he has the ability to beat blockers inside and get pressures, which are also important. And interior pressure can be even more disruptive than pressure off the edge, and can help the edge rushers seal the deal if the QB can't step up in the pocket.

I think our interior DL is going to be critical to any hope of getting consistent pass rush this season, since we don't have any really good edge rushers (that we know of). 

4 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Anderson reminds me of Justin Smith. Because of how he sets the edge and bull rushes. Will never have sexy stats but stirs the drink for so many other guys. Aldon Smith was completely ineffective when Justin Smith was out of the lineup.

Good comparison, based on his role and how important he'll be for his teammates, but I think Justin Smith gets sold short sometimes. He was a far more productive pass rusher than I think Anderson will be (unless Anderson just explodes over the next year or so, and that's possible, but I'm not holding my breath). Smith had 8.5 sacks as a rookie, and hit 7+ sacks 6 times over his career, finishing with 87 sacks total. He only missed three games over his career. Smith was a monster in his own right.

And then the lesser noticed stuff, like the impact he had on his teammates, and how great he was against the run (an area in which I think Anderson can match him), and his longevity and consistency... he was a great player. I didn't realize he was the 4th overall pick. We would be lucky for Anderson to come close to living up to this comparison.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He seemed to be favoring the knee quite a bit last year, but part of that could also just be mental.

I've heard several people say that, even if you're fully recovered, it still takes some time to get back to normal. For a football player, that's usually another season. I didn't expect Anderson to be back to form until this coming season. The issue with the other knee might have added to his recovery time, with a full offseason under his belt, hopefully he's in good shape.

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I've heard several people say that, even if you're fully recovered, it still takes some time to get back to normal. For a football player, that's usually another season. I didn't expect Anderson to be back to form until this coming season. The issue with the other knee might have added to his recovery time, with a full offseason under his belt, hopefully he's in good shape.

Even once the ligament has fully recovered, the muscles surrounding the joint have to also be re-conditioned to bear the player's weight. That's typically the hardest part of the recovery, especially since muscle-memory plays such a huge part in football.