Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts return to the playoffs this coming season?

RockThatBlue

As of now I am going to say it's 50/50. I think we have a favorable schedule on paper and I thought we nailed the Draft and Free Agency was solid as well. 3 things will determine whether or not we win the Division and return to the Playoffs:

1. The health of Andrew Luck - obviously real important he returns 100%.

2. Can our Defense improve enough and become at least a Top 20 Defense regarding Points allowed?

3. Can we go at least 4-2 in the Division (we went 3-3 last season)? I think winning a majority of our Division games will decide the Division. We cant get swept by Houston like last season. That would be fatal IMO.

They certainly have the ability to. Unlike last year, where I thought the Colts would have had to catch a ton of breaks in order to make the playoffs, I think this time around the team itself is good enough to return to the Post Season.

Assuming Luck stays healthy, the offense should again be top 10. And they'll be even better if the O line continues to gel and not get Luck killed in the process. The one thing I can think of that may hinder the offense is poor play calling. Chud has to be on point this season.

Defensively, they should be better by default simply because they are younger. The key guys IMO are Hankins, Vontae and Anderson. If Hankins plugs up the middle, Vontae has a strong year and Anderson shows he's fully recovered from his injury, then I think the rest of the defense will improve because of that and they should be good enough to hold the line and get into the playoffs.

Tennessee and Houston are good, and the latter beat the Colts in their own house last season. Can't let that happen. If they can split with those two, sweep Jacksonville and also beat a couple other good teams they face, like Cincy, Baltimore, Arizona etc, they'll be well on their way to 10-6 and at least a WC birth. 

3-1 vs the NFC West (Loss to Arizona)

3-1 vs the AFC North (Loss to Pittsburgh. I don't see us able to beat them)

4-2 in the division at worst 

Win vs Denver 

Win vs Buffalo 

Puts us at 12-4 if my math is right. If that's not good enough for the playoffs, AFC got way better 

5 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

3-1 vs the NFC West (Loss to Arizona)

3-1 vs the AFC North (Loss to Pittsburgh. I don't see us able to beat them)

4-2 in the division at worst 

Win vs Denver 

Win vs Buffalo 

Puts us at 12-4 if my math is right. If that's not good enough for the playoffs, AFC got way better 

I am not going to put a prediction on wins for the Colts as of yet. It's too early to really project that IMO. I do think 10 wins will win the Division though, if we get to 10 and split with Houston and Tennessee we should be in great shape at the end. Thankfully Houston did nothing to improve their QB situation, they have Savage starting and Watson is a rookie. Who really knows how good the Titans will be? Maybe 9-7 is their peak with the team they have, they very easily could be an 8-8 team for all we know. We also seem to own them for some odd reason in head to head matchups. The Jags are the Jags, I would be shocked if they reached 8-8 with Blake Bortles at QB.

15 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

Yes.

Luck's injury is being blown out of proportion imo.

I'll play devils advocate and say his injury is not being talked about enough. Major surgery that some never recover from. All we can do is cross our fingers. If hes just as good as ever then yes, Colts have a very good shot to return to the playoffs with their schedule.

Houston's secondary got much worse and they have QB questions. Im not sold on Tennessee's roster being so great. They still have holes in the secondary and ILB with an aging front 7.

Jags are the Jags, they'll tease people this year for a few weeks and then revert right back to the dumpster fire.

I think we have a great chance of going  6-0 again in our division, which would almost guarantee a playoff position. Each team and why:

Titans: Tennessee hasn't beaten us since 2011, so that says a lot. Though Mariota is good, and their defense is solid, they never have an answer for Luck and Mariota plays poorly against us. I think we sweep them again, with them being the hardest team in our division. 

Jaguars: Blake Bortles is 'getting better', but I don't believe in him, nor should Jags fans, since his best stat is more pick 6's than wins. Their defense was 6th last year, and it will be better, but even if it is, it can't be much better. Fournette will be scary, but their offensive line is still poor, and our loss last year was because of a slow start on offense, and a 4th and 1 drop. Doesn't get much closer than that. Going 2-0 with our defense potentially top 20 and an offensive line that has gotten better won't be as difficult as it was last year, going 1-1. 

Texans- The Texans defense is still good, don't get me wrong, but you don't just replace your #1 corner. Bouye left for Jacksonville as we know and Wilfork retired, so their defense will regress. Desean Watson is a rookie qb that can win, but that was college and mostly off of his running ability. His passing is questionable IMO and I don't think he will make that great of an impact his first year, but it will be more impactful than Oswieler. The Titans have surpassed the Texans in this division on paper and I don't think the Texans will make a return to the playoffs this year. 2-0 vs the Texans may be more of a mental hurdle, but both games last year were determined by one possession, and let's not forget the INT to Allen as he fell down. 

4-2 or better in the division will almost guarantee a playoff spot unless the 2 losses are a sweep by one team and the other teams we play are mediocre at best besides Pittsburgh. My prediction for our record is 11-5, with losses to Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Texans, Broncos and the Seahawks. 

And on Lucks injury: we all know how much he loves football, he has a flip phone for God sake. He is taking care of himself and doing all he can to rehab and get better. Geathers was placed on IR and has had a lot of time to recover as well. I think both will be healthy and ready to go, and we just have to pray no injury happens in camp or any other time. Also, let's play that this football season comes fast, because $$$$ I miss it. 

17 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'll play devils advocate and say his injury is not being talked about enough. Major surgery that some never recover from. All we can do is cross our fingers. If hes just as good as ever then yes, Colts have a very good shot to return to the playoffs with their schedule. 

The doctors said all is well, and I can trust them. They wouldn't lie, and Andrew looks happy and fine. As long as we don't rush him back, which Ballard has stressed they won't, he should be fine as he is rehabbing and strengthening it daily. 

If Luck is healthy, then yes, definitely. If he isn't, we're screwed.

I hate to boil it down to such a binary reason, but it's true considering our easy schedule, we don't play the Patriots, and our division is still weak considering Houston's QB situation. Houston doesn't think Tom Savage is the answer, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted a QB in the 1st round.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

The doctors said all is well, and I can trust them. They wouldn't lie, and Andrew looks happy and fine. As long as we don't rush him back, which Ballard has stressed they won't, he should be fine as he is rehabbing and strengthening it daily. 

Its been reported that hes behind schedule but they arent concerned. We havent heard from the doctors, just from Ballard and Irsay. They dont always tell the truth. But I tend to believe there is no concern simce tney did not bring in another QB, but until he starts throwing, nobody knows. Once again, im keeping my fingers crossed.

If Luck is healthy, I think we have the ability to make the playoffs, but I don't think we will. Call me a pessimist, but I think the Titans and Texans will beat out the Colts for the playoffs. I see the Colts going 9-7 and placing third in the division. 

27 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Its been reported that hes behind schedule but they arent concerned. We havent heard from the doctors, just from Ballard and Irsay. They dont always tell the truth. But I tend to believe there is no concern simce tney did not bring in another QB, but until he starts throwing, nobody knows. Once again, im keeping my fingers crossed.

I never heard he was behind schedule. If it's true, then there is some concern, but he was expected by training camp right? I can't see him being too far behind and I'm with you on crossing my fingers. No Andrew, playoffs are a long shot. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not going to put a prediction on wins for the Colts as of yet. It's too early to really project that IMO. I do think 10 wins will win the Division though, if we get to 10 and split with Houston and Tennessee we should be in great shape at the end. Thankfully Houston did nothing to improve their QB situation, they have Savage starting and Watson is a rookie. Who really knows how good the Titans will be? Maybe 9-7 is their peak with the team they have, they very easily could be an 8-8 team for all we know. We also seem to own them for some odd reason in head to head matchups. The Jags are the Jags, I would be shocked if they reached 8-8 with Blake Bortles at QB.

Yeah, I never was at all sold on Bortles got into some arguments on here over that. I'm again going to be disagreed with but I'm not sold on Tenessee yet and not Mariota either. So let it all begin again.   

56 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yeah, They said he was fine last year and he obviously wasn't. So I have no idea except Luck seems happy maybe that's a clue I don't know. I wonder when he can hit the weights again because he looks like he needs to. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I never heard he was behind schedule. If it's true, then there is some concern, but he was expected by training camp right? I can't see him being too far behind and I'm with you on crossing my fingers. No Andrew, playoffs are a long shot. 

I haven't heard or read that Luck is behind schedule either....    that said,  I believe it's true.     And here's why....

Other teams are reporting that their injured players should be back by the start of training camp.    The Colts are NOT saying that with Luck.

Starting just before the draft and continuing after the draft,  what Ballard and Pagano have been saying is that the Colts are NOT going to put a time table on Luck's return.      I don't think that's a very good sign.

We're not saying he'll be back by the start of camp.

We're not saying he'll be back by the start of the pre-season games.

We're not even saying he'll be back by the start of the regular season.

Look,  Luck might still be back for ALL OF THAT.     But I wouldn't bet on it anymore.

I think Ballard is softening the ground and trying to lower the expectations bar for everyone,  so when camp opens and they announce that Luck isn't read yet,   he can then say that Luck is expected back soon,  but they won't put a date on it.

I think we should all be prepared for the possibility that Luck is not ready to go when camp opens in late-July.     I hope I'm wrong,  but fear that I'm not.....

I expect the Colts to return to the playoffs this year.    I think Ballard has done a wonderful job in re-building this team,  but make no mistake,  this has not been a one-year rebuild project.      We may be good enough to win the division,    but we're likely not good enough to make a deep run in the playoffs.     Still,  winning the AFC South would be a nice return to form.

We still have weakness and holes,   but we also have the best QB in the division.    As long as you have that,  you've good at least a 50-50 shot at winning your division.     

So, yes, we can win the AFC South,  and that's what I'm expecting.    I think it would take some unfortunate injuries to stop the Colts.  and of course,  those are always possible.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I haven't heard or read that Luck is behind schedule either....    that said,  I believe it's true.     And here's why....

Other teams are reporting that their injured players should be back by the start of training camp.    The Colts are NOT saying that with Luck.

Starting just before the draft and continuing after the draft,  what Ballard and Pagano have been saying is that the Colts are NOT going to put a time table on Luck's return.      I don't think that's a very good sign.

We're not saying he'll be back by the start of camp.

We're not saying he'll be back by the start of the pre-season games.

We're not even saying he'll be back by the start of the regular season.

Look,  Luck might still be back for ALL OF THAT.     But I wouldn't bet on it anymore.

I think Ballard is softening the ground and trying to lower the expectations bar for everyone,  so when camp opens and they announce that Luck isn't read yet,   he can then say that Luck is expected back soon,  but they won't put a date on it.

I think we should all be prepared for the possibility that Luck is not ready to go when camp opens in late-July.     I hope I'm wrong,  but fear that I'm not.....

For one, who knows. Still I am troubled due to the reports in january that he would be throwing in three months. From what i have read that is not currently the case, hopefully he is rehabbing more than has been reported. Which is what i would expect from any NFL team.

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its anyone's guess really

vegas has the colts, titans and texans pretty even, all between 8-9 wins

sure we have a chance,  i dont see any clear cut favorite right now

I'm not a gambler at all....    but remember, the Vegas prediction of wins is NOT a prediction of how many wins those wise guys think the Colts will get.

It's a prediction designed to entice roughly 50 percent of the betters to go high and 50 percent of the betters to go low....      they make their money on the losers....

Look for the prediction of wins from analytical guys...   ESPN,  NFL.com and PFF or PFO....    those are the ones to pay closest attention to...

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not a gambler at all....    but remember, the Vegas prediction of wins is NOT a prediction of how many wins those wise guys think the Colts will get.

It's a prediction designed to entice roughly 50 percent of the betters to go high and 50 percent of the betters to go low....      they make their money on the losers....

Look for the prediction of wins from analytical guys...   ESPN,  NFL.com and PFF or PFO....    those are the ones to pay closest attention to...

i have little to no respect for most of the analysts on espn and nfl.com.  if were are listening to them we might as well give the patriots next years Lombardi right now.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i have little to no respect for most of the analysts on espn and nfl.com.  if were are listening to them we might as well give the patriots next years Lombardi right now.

If we listened to them, we might as well just take our 6-10 season and run with it and be happy.

17 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

If Luck is healthy, I think we have the ability to make the playoffs, but I don't think we will. Call me a pessimist, but I think the Titans and Texans will beat out the Colts for the playoffs. I see the Colts going 9-7 and placing third in the division. 

If that happens Pagano probably gets fired.

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I'm not talking about former players....

I'm talking about the writers who specialize in analytics...   the numbers crunchers...   these are guys you likely wouldn't know by name.

They've been predicting the Colts at roughly 7-9 the last two years.    They haven't been far off.

And if that still doesn't work for you,  you still have Pro Football Focus and Pro Football Outsiders.

Just for your consideration....

Perhaps the question should be... is there any reason why the Colts should not make the playoffs this year.  

Seems like such a different team and atmosphere from a year ago.  We/ they almost made it happen in both of the last two seasons when it was apparent that the team was dysfunctional.

I wasn't here in 2012, but I remember thinking the Colts would be really hard to deal with and become a true contender within a few more off seasons.  Though I will admit, even being a Purdue fan, that I had an ill feeling in my stomach.  I remember thinking to myself "I wonder if Grigson can really do it", he just didn't feel right.  Well he couldn't and he is gone.  Not saying he was the problem, but I think he was the problem (at least the majority of the problem).  Players and coaches alike didn't like him or his ways.

The air is fresh now and it has a similar feeling of the Polian years.  Just feels like you don't have to worry about bonehead management decisions anymore.  Say... draft a work in progress receiver in the first round scratch your head type move. 

For me the only option is make the playoffs, not IF we do.....the only, IF, is how far do we go.  One and done is fine with me too because that shows we had a better off season and better coaching than our division, even though they all had more capitol than the Colts.  

Maybe it is just me but I expect to win.