Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst Coaching Decision

coltsfeva

Worst Coaching Decision  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the worst Coaching Decision?

• Chuck Pagano - Fake Punt Against Pats
    • Bill Belicheck- 4th and 2 against Colts
    • Pete Carol - Throwing on 2nd and Goal (SB) against Pats
    • Dan Quinn - Passing at the 20 with an 8 point lead

Just saw a replay of the 2009 game against the Pats in Indy. Where the Colts came back from a 31-7 deficit and won it when Bill Belicheck went for it on 4th and 2 from the NE 30. The Colts score a TD and leave Brady 13 seconds. Colts 35-34.....BEAUTIFUL! Anyway I know how much we all loved the fake punt a few years later against the same team but it got me wondering which call was worse. Consider the poor execution was in part, why the play failed Pagono said we wouldn't see that play again. So here's my poll and I'm curious to see How people answer.

Fake punt was bad play design, bad call, bad execution, embarrassing results.

Belichick made a good call against the Colts; it just didn't get the results he wanted.

Pete Caroll made a risky call, but he has always called plays on intuition.

Quinn made a series of blunders in that series, but it was bad execution that got them into trouble.

I voted Pete, that was just so ridiculously dumb and I cant even put it into words. You have the ball at the 1 and even have a Timeout left and have Lynch. Then you set up a play to Pass over the middle in traffic. I blame Russell Wilson as well though, he could've audibled out of it and did the right thing by either running himself or just throwing a fade. That was just a huge cluster! It cost a team a sure SB win so that is the worst play by far IMO.

It's easily this:

Pete Carol - Throwing on 2nd and Goal (SB) against Pats

The fake punt was not designed to go off like that, Colt Anderson & Griff Whalen messed it up, sure it was one of the worst plays in NFL history, but it was not executed as it was designed.

18 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

It's easily this:

Pete Carol - Throwing on 2nd and Goal (SB) against Pats

The fake punt was not designed to go off like that, Colt Anderson & Griff Whalen messed it up, sure it was one of the worst plays in NFL history, but it was not executed as it was designed.

I agree, our fake Punt isn't even close to Pete's call. That cost the Seahawks a sure SB win. Our Fake Punt was just a play in the middle of a Regular Season among other bad executed plays by a lot of teams that had no bearing on winning the SB.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The Seahawks passing from the 2 was a much bigger moment in a much bigger game, but that fake whatever it was that the Colts ran was the worst thing I have ever seen in all my years of watching football...

:yuk:  :facepalm:  :thmdown:

Mine too that was awful.

I feel that the Seahawks call was good just wrong play.  Maybe Carroll should have called a fade.  Maybe but we'll never know.  Possibly Carroll went for it, guts and glory because of what happened in the playoff game with GB.  I felt GB had the game but went conservative in their play calling and Coach Carroll didn't want any of that!  We're here to win and being conservative is out of the question.  If the play worked he'd be a coaching genius but it didn't and now he's viewed as the town *!  What about Colts/Steelers as Steelers wanted to put it away but Bettis fumbled.  Darn should the Steelers have passed?  Same as the Seahawks, if they ran and fumbled, should they have passed?  We will never know.  I/we can't predict the future or 'what if' but we can all predict the past. 

5 minutes ago, 100GFB said:

I feel that the Seahawks call was good just wrong play.  Maybe Carroll should have called a fade.  Maybe but we'll never know.  Possibly Carroll went for it, guts and glory because of what happened in the playoff game with GB.  I felt GB had the game but went conservative in their play calling and Coach Carroll didn't want any of that!  We're here to win and being conservative is out of the question.  If the play worked he'd be a coaching genius but it didn't and now he's viewed as the town *!  What about Colts/Steelers as Steelers wanted to put it away but Bettis fumbled.  Darn should the Steelers have passed?  Same as the Seahawks, if they ran and fumbled, should they have passed?  We will never know.  I/we can't predict the future or 'what if' but we can all predict the past. 

I respect your opinion but I am 99.9% certain Lynch walks into the endzone if Pete calls a run. He gets my vote easily. Had they thrown a fade that would've been much different as well, Pete called the worst play possible.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I respect your opinion but I am 99.9% certain Lynch walks into the endzone if Pete calls a run. He gets my vote easily. Had they thrown a fade that would've been much different as well, Pete called the worst play possible.

Now looking back with 8 in the box a quick slant was not a good call but my main point is not pass/run but Coach didn't want to go conservative.  I respect him for going guts and glory!

17 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah that fake punt will forever pi$$ me off

Did you watch it live?  Were you also jumping up and down yelling at the TV?  I mean, I get worked up during games, but I have never yelled at the TV like I did when that happened...

:hairout: :censored:  :argh:

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Did you watch it live?  Were you also jumping up and down yelling at the TV?  I mean, I get worked up during games, but I have never yelled at the TV like I did when that happened...

I seen it live and thought it was ridiculous but it didn't cost a SB win. Had that happened in the AFC Title Game I would've probably croaked.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I seen it live and thought it was ridiculous but it didn't cost a SB win. Had that happened in the AFC Title Game I would've probably croaked.

OMG, Haha.  Yeah, can you imagine if the Colts had done this in the AFCCG, or God forbid, the SB?

I probably would have croaked too!  Either a massive brain aneurysm or heart attack, or both at the same time.

It would definitely be the runaway winner for this thread.  Hands down.

We called the "Chuck Punt Formation" Polecat in HS.  Nothing new, it has been around.  We had various alignments and several plays off each alignment.  Rarely did we use it for anything other than 2 pt conversions and I want to say it was +80% successful.  Occasionally mid-field, but only if we were leading.

Never did I expect to see it at the college level much less in the NFL.  When I saw them (Colts) line up I was a little surprised but I thought it would be interesting to see pro athletes execute the play.  Patriots sniffed it out immediately though and it was doomed before it even started.  Should have had a "abort" signal and shifted into normal alignment.  Maybe they did and just blew it, I don't know one way or the other.  Shameful day to be a Colts fan either way, lol.

I am with others though that the Pete Carol call and what it cost is the worst of the ones listed.  You just have to run it in that situation, especially given the down and the back they had (Lynch).

2 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Why do coaches always do stupid things against the Patriots? That is the question!

Because of their success, opposing coaches try to get cute and try to outsmart Hoodie..... but what happens is using they overthink themselves and hoodie knows this, so he's prepared for those types of plays. Very rarely does hoodie make a dumb decision

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Because of their success, opposing coaches try to get cute and try to outsmart Hoodie..... but what happens is using they overthink themselves and hoodie knows this, so he's prepared for those types of plays. Very rarely does hoodie make a dumb decision

Yeah, the one time he did do something dumb was when he tried to get cute against Peyton Manning on that 4th and 2.

That should be a huge compliment and career highlight for Manning!  haha

24 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

OMG, Haha.  Yeah, can you imagine if the Colts had done this in the AFCCG, or God forbid, the SB?

I probably would have croaked too!  Either a massive brain aneurysm or heart attack, or both at the same time.

It would definitely be the runaway winner for this thread.  Hands down.

Yeah it would've been #1 but Pete's was worse because it was the SB IMO. The 4th and 2 Belichick called, I don't blame him. Peyton was a robot that season and we were a machine. BB knew if we got the ball back it was over LOL. A 1st down gives the Pats a win.

42 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I was on the phone with a friend and I went silent for a few minutes because I was confused at what we were trying to accomplish with that. Even today I'm still confused, especially with McAfees comments about it.

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There's no comparison to a coach losing a SB.  It's possible the Seahawks could have lost, but the Falcons had the game on ice.   Both horrible decisions.  

Worst part is NE getting two more rings. Yeah, they did what they had to do to win, but those were gifts! ☹️

Its a toss up between the Falcons collapse and the Seahawks play, but the Falcons collapse was a series of bad decisions, if your looking for worst coaching decision in a specific play its the Seahawks by a mile. Throwing over the middle on the 1 yard line with a timeout in the pocket in the superbowl is absolutely crazy, not to mention you have the biggest bruiser of a RB in the NFL at the time. Just absolutely beyond stupid thing.

Your topic headline is misleading to me because without reading your explanation it creates the impression that fans are being asked to select an INDY coach & select the worst blunder executed in Colts history. 

Personally, Jim Caldwell's inability to make halftime adjustments drove me nuts & I'm still shocked he won a SB in Baltimore. I really have no problems with Chuck next to Caldwell who is a good QB coach & not really HC material to me at all. I like the guy & he's been decent in Detroit, but I never would have hired him in Motor City to run an entire football program. OC fine, but HC, not on your life. Can Caldwell help Matthew Stafford beat Aaron Rodgers in the NFC North? Nope. 

Belichick's decision to go for it rather than punt was an utter FAIL!

And at the same time, a great tribute to his respect for Manning.  He said afterward the motivation was he didn't want to give the ball back into Manning's hand, couldn't trust the defence to stop him..   Such an amazing tribute to Peyton Manning's greatness ..l just love that Manning TOTALLY got into the head of one of the all-time greatest coaches, causing said coach to have a total brain fart out of fear.  Love it!

Only one of these can you truly point to and say that cost their team the Super Bowl.  Even the Falcons didn't lose the Super Bowl on that single play. 

The Seahawks throwing on second and goal when they had maybe the best short yardage back in the NFL was the worst call.  Even the Colts with Peyton Manning knew to run in that situation (see the end of the 06 AFCCG)

43 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Belichick's decision to go for it rather than punt was an utter FAIL!

And at the same time, a great tribute to his respect for Manning.  He said afterward the motivation was he didn't want to give the ball back into Manning's hand, couldn't trust the defence to stop him..   Such an amazing tribute to Peyton Manning's greatness ..l just love that Manning TOTALLY got into the head of one of the all-time greatest coaches, causing said coach to have a total brain fart out of fear.  Love it!

I don't really consider the decision to go for it by BB an utter fail or jedi mind trick by #18 because in 2009 Manning had a ton of 4th QTR touchdowns that season. Bill knew he had to go for it because Manning was a machine on offense back then like a field general terminator. 

It really boiled down to the refs saying that Kevin Faulk fumbled the ball or failed to maintain control of it. A judgement call. I'm glad INDY won naturally, but it wasn't a mistake on Bill's part. It was a calculated risk that came up short. 

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I don't really consider the decision to go for it by BB an utter fail or jedi mind trick by #18 because in 2009 Manning had a ton of 4th QTR touchdowns that season. Bill knew he had to go for it because Manning was a machine on offense back then like a field general terminator. 

It really boiled down to the refs saying that Kevin Faulk fumbled the ball or failed to maintain control of it. A judgement call. I'm glad INDY won naturally, but it wasn't a mistake on Bill's part. It was a calculated risk that came up short. 

I'm happy to say I thought the refs blew that call.

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  It's not like NE had a trash defence.  You punt that ball and put it on your defense to stop the Colts from driving the length of the field.  It was a boneheaded coaching decision.  Belichick got way too cute / ballsy for his own good.  It's exactly like Dungy said at the time.  You punt that ball, every time.