Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Might have to change my Fantasy Draft strategy

So I've been using this fantasy football drafting strategy forever:  Draft the Colts QB and the main Colts receivers, then go with the best weekly match-up for the rest of the positions.  It has worked every year except 2011 when I drafted Manning and Wayne etc. in the preseason before finding out that Peyton was sitting out the whole season after a 4th neck surgery.  I did not do well that year.  But every other year, whether it was Manning or Luck, I at least made the playoffs, and I've won multiple SBs over the years.

I think this might be the last year I am able to successfully use this strategy.  And I'm not even mad about it.  It was a trade-off every year.  I got to be a homer and root for the Colts and my fantasy team all at once, but it was only possible because I knew the Colts offense was going to have to score a lot of points to make up for a sub-par defense.

Now that Ballard might actually put together a formidable defense (I hope), the Colts might be able to run the ball more and not have to score as many points.  It probably won't happen this year, so I think my draft strategy will work again this year, but by next year, the Colts could be more like classic defensive teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore.  Great for the Colts, not so great for my fantasy teams.  Maybe the Colts D will become a top fantasy defense, especially if Hooker is getting defensive TDs left and right.  Colts RBs might become top fantasy picks as well if Ballards' plan works.  

But I am going to miss the days of being double-excited every time Manning/Luck threw a TD to Wayne/Hilton.  Double Points!!!

:clover:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, even when Bradshaw was around, quick passes to the FBs and RBs still happened for Andrew Luck's TDs. Luck is more of a sure bet than the Luck/Hilton combo for your strategy.

But until I see it, the Colts' D might still be a year or two away from becoming an elite unit and there are enough elite offenses in the NFL that will test even the best of Ds in this passing league, so not scoring 25-30 points in a regular season game is typically not an option. Even if a D is good to generate turnovers, unless that D is on a pick 6 spree like the Saints' D in 2009, the offense still has to take advantage of favorable field position with points on the board, that is my thought process in favor of the offense thus benefiting FF.

• 2 months later...

Frick.

The draft is this weekend and I don't know if Luck and the Colts receivers are going to even be reliable, much less lethal this year.  :wall:

Unless something changes in the next two days, I have to completely re-evaluate my whole draft strategy.  I might actually have to go the traditional route, and not be a homer...  :Cry:

No matter what, I will (probably) still refuse to have a single Patriots player on my fantasy team.

:clover: